BSD newfag

Hey /g
Wanna try BSD but am kinda a newfag at it.
Which flavor should I try first ?

Attached: bsd.png (386x239, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bitrig.org/10.html
computerworld.com/article/2580728/security0/darpa-pulls-funding-for-openbsd--leader-says.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

netbsd is best

See But I wouldn't start off with NetBSD since it's a little more advanced. Try OpenBSD in a VM first.

BSD is all shit just use Debian or Ubuntu

Ghostbsd is the only newbfriendly one thats usable

Trueos is garbage

Freebsd and openbsd are good

iBSD

Attached: macos.jpg (800x863, 24K)

I recommend starting with freebsd or something freebsd related. fuck the devs but it does have the best support
you said the same thing about gentoo user

Is netbsd the bsd equivalent of arch?

no fuck off

struck a nerve there?

Oh a BSD thread. Please rate this drawing.

Attached: puffandbeast.jpg (2048x1536, 488K)

NetBSD is more like Debian than Arch.
As much as I hate the cucked CoC, FreeBSD is the best BSD if you want to start out. Better hardware support, Linux compatibility layer, NVIDIA support, decent documentation, relatively modern and the most used BSD.

If you are comfortable with Unix systems, you can try OpenBSD or NetBSD.

GuixSD

very nice! though it looks like puffy is about to suck a mean cock

Funny thing , I managed to get kde going in a vm under OpenBSD ( errors and version mismatches not standing)
FreeBSD always times outs when trying to get packages for me

This.
Any pics with puffy deepthroating beastie with those lucious lips?
(asking for a friend)

None of them really hold your hand during the install so use a VM first

IMO 9/10, Beastie should have a bit longer legs

openbsd installation is the simplest thing (assuming you don't have wifi issues which in VM you won't), text dialog with usable defaults
1) download cdXX.iso in a second as it's only 9 MB
2) boot it up, (I)install
3) default keyboard layout, set hostname
4) network interface (will be used on first boot as well)
5) root password
6) optional sshd, Xorg (yes), xenodm login screen (no)
7) main user
8) disk, simplest is to opt for whole disk auto-layout
9) sets - from http, use the fastly.cdn.openbsd.org mirror, it's fast; (will be used on first boot as well thus sets from CD require additional step after first boot), all sets and wait
10) reboot
post-installation
1) log as user and su into root shell
2) echo ':wheel permit persist' > /etc/doas.conf
now you have a doas rights - tiny replacement for 99% sudo usecases
3) set .xinitrc file, either copy template from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and edit it (vi or mg editor) or just echo 'cwm' > ~/.xinitrc
4) install some packages: doas pkg_add chromium mpv
5) startx, now you have cwm window manager (has built-in launcher similar to dmenu), xterm terminal, web browser, media player. base system should handle sound and volume keys without issue. network management is with native tools (read FAQ)
minimal desktop system ready with nearly full defaults

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

this pasta again...

Attached: 1234567891012.gif (231x200, 991K)

>only applies to a base system
good that base system contains shitton of network daemons and services and you don't need to install anything else. Surprisingly there have been more remote holes in just-a-kernal loonix than OS with full network stack.
>complaining against compliance with widely acknowledged and requested standards
what a world

sage for useing BSD

*teleports behind you*
Nothing personal, Kid

Attached: 545346453.png (838x469, 89K)

I'm installing kde5 on my SJWbsd 11.2 vm right now.

Attached: VirtualBox_FreeBSD_28_07_2018_20_08_24.png (720x400, 16K)

OS X BSD/Mach

Attached: .png (645x450, 70K)

holy shit I didn't even know plasma 5 was available for freebsd

FreeBSD

It's way too bloated. Along with Xorg it's 700 packages and brings in gtk3. Really not worth it desu

Attached: VirtualBox_FreeBSD_28_07_2018_20_35_16.png (1024x768, 326K)

that doesn't really bother me. I would've pulled in gtk3 anyway by getting firefox

openbsd is good, just read the faq.

>anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS
I used to want to use those, but I'm not so sure anymore, since they intrinsically suck for actual random-access files.

There was an openbsd fork that aimed to modernize it a bit, but the journaling file system code never made it back to mainline.

bitrig.org/10.html

>"only one GNU tool" marked as a feature

Attached: inane.jpg (480x451, 57K)

OpenBSD has the long term goal of removing all GPL software from base.

> For historical reasons, the OpenBSD base system still includes the following GPL-licensed components: the GNU compiler collection (GCC) with supporting binutils and libraries, GNU CVS, GNU texinfo, the mkhybrid file system creation tool, and the readline library. Replacement by equivalent, more freely licensed tools is a long-term desideratum.

>Wanna try BSD but am kinda a newfag at it.
>None of them really hold your hand during the install so use a VM first
This. You should alway do this before installing a floss OS (I guess Windows also if you have it cracked/the money to install it multiple times).

BTW, what's your experience with GNU/Linux?

OpenBSD has no nvidia gpu acceleration

only real bsd is openbsd everyone else is a faglord

>his operating system doesn't have a band

Attached: cdaudio3.gif (570x570, 146K)

Personally I use openBSD but I have utmost respect for dragonflyBSD too, just never really got around to using it
I'd stay away from (f)reeBSD as they seem to spiral downwards lately

>I'd stay away from (f)reeBSD as they seem to spiral downwards lately
Is there any proof of this? I've seen this assertion on various anti-SJW sites, but with no proof. FreeBSD still seems to be the king of the BSDs. I don't think the CoC bullshit did any good, but is there any proof it did the project great harm?

I came

The harder proof is a bunch of devs leaving because of the CoC (such as the #2 contributor of LLVM iirc), but it's general knowledge that when a tech project becomes more associated with politics (of any kind) instead of focusing on tech, infighting and general lack of direction bring it down

politics are what set netbsd back too, as far as i know. it was a different kind of politics, but it was still politics.

If you're referring to them kicking Theo out, maybe it's for the best
Definitely shitty treatment, but there's no chance he wouldn't make a fork of netBSD at some point, their ideologies were too different

nah i'm talking about the netbsd foundation. charles hannum wrote about that a few years ago.

Oh I'll look that up
In that same subject, iirc, freebsd also.had some issues with their own foundation

>good that base system contains shitton of network daemons and services and you don't need to install anything else.
The httpd is garbage.

>such as the #2 contributor of LLVM iirc
Literal nobody. They should be more concerned about security on default install, though hardenedbsd is probably more secure than openbsd.

Just use openBSD
No other project leader has had the balls to speak against the US military (while partly funded by DARPA)

Give some sauce at least faggot

Is typing like 3 words and clicking the first link that much of a task to the average Jow Forumsentooman?
computerworld.com/article/2580728/security0/darpa-pulls-funding-for-openbsd--leader-says.html

Cock flavour. The only BSD flavour

reason? seems very sane to me

FreeBSD has the most functional packages and is the only useful one as a general purpose use desktop.

Attached: Screenshot_20180729_183252.png (704x357, 29K)

ghostbsd is pretty buggy it's better to start with the base system w/ freebsd

openbsd all the way. very easy to use and easy to learn.

Nobody mentioned MidnightBSD yet ?
Nice little project

Attached: 475px-MidnightBSDLogo.svg.png (475x475, 18K)

«Absolute FreeBSD 3rd» edition will come out soon so FreeBSD.

this or openbsd

OS X is based on BSD. Try Mac OS X