I'm thinking of running a Windows XP VM on my linux box for playing some of my old 90's

I'm thinking of running a Windows XP VM on my linux box for playing some of my old 90's
PC games. I have a legit copy but i hate the idea of updating the whole thing. That shit takes
hours. I've been looking at XP Black Edition. The 2015 version over at the 'bay' is still pretty
popular. What's Jow Forums's thoughts on it?

Attached: Mmm XP.jpg (1600x1200, 154K)

Go for it user, just let it update over night, then the time is negligible, so as long as the VM has good latency.

just get xp sp3 update iso

Attached: 1532799028374.jpg (439x500, 49K)

>i hate the idea of updating the whole thing
Why the fuck would you update it? It’s sitting inside a vm, there is no point. If it’s just for games, why would you make it face the internet anyway?

just get TinyXP

Lots of shit requires latest service packs.

There hasn’t been a new service pack since sp3, so don’t play bullshit you don’t understand

Just search POSReady 2009, get the trial and install that.
You might have trouble with Steam and XP that is SSL related, if you get 'content servers unreachable' errors just google it because theres stuff to paste into a config file that fixes it I must go now by wife needs me

But his physical copy won't even be SP1.

Find a MSDN sp3 iso

>What's Jow Forums's thoughts on it?
Riddled with russian spyware

>I've been looking at XP Black Edition. The 2015 version over at the 'bay' is still pretty popular. What's Jow Forums's thoughts on it?
I've used it before. Just uncheck all the bloat and stuff it tries to install like flash players and shit and you're good to go. I wouldn't do online shopping with my personal cards in it but it should be fine for games or whatever.

Attached: 1532482879543.jpg (960x540, 54K)

Did they ever get DirectX emulation to not be complete dogshit in virtualbox? I had zero luck getting it to work. Is there any legitimate solution out there for DirectX games besides actual hardware?

wine

Just use Wine if you can. I use it to run ZangbandTK on Linux without any issues. Less of a hassle than trying to set up a new OS.

this, get xp pro sp3 vlk, and leave it off the internet
no need to update it further

this, tho the pros use TIny2003

use wine dumass
just make a new user for it

if you want to keep wine (or anything, really) isolated, use firejail. it has a 'private home' option which directs all home folder access to a folder of your choosing, this way it can't see or touch your real home, and it keeps your real home free of savegame stuff

good luck mounting isos

discs aren't usually mounted to your home folder anyway
most of the time i just copy the cd contents to the 'c:' for installation, since not many programs actually care if it's on a cd or not

actually safer to use retail, skip entering the key at install and install antiwpa (less chance of getting a vl key blacklisted)

>(less chance of getting a vl key blacklisted)
i never run into or heard of this
how would it even get blacklisted? vlk doesn't do activation (which is why i used it)

so like i said good luck
i on the other hand can simply use a symlink

well they could release an update that blacklists a bunch of keys like they did in the past, plus windows update checks that kind of stuff if you care about privacy (being tracked etc), then i realised it wouldnt matter if you kept it offline anyway CARRY ON

if you don't mind it accessing /media (or wherever you mount your cd's), you can just whitelist it, it will still be available via z: as usual

i actually never used windows update on windows xp, i only installed the service packs (and the rare update manually if a program specifically needed it)
even fully updated XP isn't safe nowadays, so there's not much point in updating it beyond SP3, since you shouldn't be using it online anyway

post your fire conf

>Windows XP on kaby lake

Nice , this gives me hope that i can install Vista on my future laptop.

# --cpu=0
firejail --ignore=nodvd \
--profile=/etc/firejail/wine.profile \
--net=none \
--private="${prefix}" \
--private-tmp \
--shell=none \
--private-dev \
--blacklist=/media \
--blacklist=/mnt \
-- "$0" _firejail
i use it as part of a script.

meh

what would you change?

Just run your games in WINE you fucking mong

you know that's almost certainly a VM, right?

>almost certainly
>almost
>implying there's even a single shred of doubt
user, can you show me a Kaby Lake machine with 512 MB of RAM?

WINDOWS XP MODE
I
N
D
O
W
S

X
P

M
O
D
E

It's a godsend, it even lets you install drivers for really old peripherals like flatbed scanners and whatnot.

you can set an artificial memory limit

>windows xp mode
>on linux
also, it's just preconfigured microsoft virtualpc, nothing special

>>on linux
Sorry I can't read apparently

Right, let's pretend for a moment that with an artificial memory limit, the system doesn't report the proper amount of physical memory as existing but unavailable.
Then why, pray tell, would someone do that to an OS that isn't being virtualized?

hence "almost certainly"
i think i've used the artificial limit once before, but i don't remember whether it affects what that dialog shows

It doesn't.

>90's games
Just use Wine. There is no point of gaming VM if you don't need PCI passthrough.

That's the only version I'll use my dude. Granted, I get mine from a private tracker and no one has had any issues with it so I can't speak to the validity of one from tpb, but I still use XP Black edition for an outdated server machine that I wanted to run some Windows services on, though it is a VM on a Linux host.

>wants to play old 90's games
>picks windows xp

Why not? He'll have the best luck with hardware compatibility, while still having access to a DOS shell when necessary. 98SE would also be an acceptable choice, but the lack of support for some hardware as well as not supporting hard drives over 137GB or RAM over 512MB (the actual limit is 1GB, but once you go over 512MB you run into the file cache bug where Windows incorrectly assigns addresses to vcache causing "Out of Memory" errors)

Download sp3 redist, slipstream it into copy of CD, done

Go for it, but not every game will work. The best solution is to just build a 90s gaming PC, or at least get a period pre-built machine and upgrade it, so you can get the full Windows 98 experience with hardware acceleration and such. Makes for better compatibility. Some games like Interstate '76 are iffy on modern CPUs and that is one of the reasons why this approach is the best.

>XP Black Edition

Attached: we_wuz_faceapp.png (638x634, 538K)