What does Jow Forums think of ReactOS?

Free and open-source Windows NT.

Could it replace Microsoft Windows in the future?

Attached: ReactOS_0.4.9.png (1280x927, 126K)

>Could it replace Microsoft Windows in the future?
No.

Not as long as it's 20 years behind...

It will be NT equivalent of freeDOS/dosbox when they'll finally roll out stable release...

it's not even 64bit

>Reactos devs spend 30 years cleaning windows mess
>Microsoft forks it creating non free extensions
>they make it as bad as official system
>profit

Explain why the fuck you would keep this project alive if you could work on WINE instead?

Yes - if Windows isn't Midori-based by then.

Erm... why? This is a whole OS - Wine is just a compatibility layer.

Most of it is licensed under the GPL, so they can't do that.

LGPL, actually.

>Erm... why? This is a whole OS - Wine is just a compatibility layer.
And is the entire purpose not to have compatibility with win32? WINE already does 64-bit and multi core.

No, most of it is GPLv2.

wine and reactos aren't really competing, they share a lot of code

How has MS not sued them for copying all their GUIs?

No, it's compatibility with NT - Win32 is a byproduct. Try running Windows drivers under Wine, for example. ReactOS can do that (one day... way off in the future...).

Ahh, I was under the impression that it was mostly LGPL with few bits of MIT.

>some license will prevent you from stealing code and releasing it closed source
kek

>I was under the impression that it was mostly LGPL with few bits of MIT.
No. GPLv2, LGPL, and BSD. You can easily check this for yourself on their website.

I've heard the argument so many times it barely even registers with me anymore. Everybody steals everybody's stuff - and always will as long as there are decompilers and disassemblers. Open source just makes it an order of magnitude easier.

Attached: 1520665749460.gif (300x186, 446K)

Currently no, since there is not enough devs to make copy of windows system properly. And even if the project gets devs and resources, Microsoft will find a way to shut it down.

Windows will always be years ahead

What new things had happened since XP except for more botnet integration?

XP don't support newer versions of Directx and .Net. Also i am pretty sure there must be changes in other libraries which break compatibility.

Huge swathes of the shell have been altered.
All the new wireless features (in wi-fi, in Bluetooth, wi-di, etc).
The network stack has been through about five revisions - there's quite a bit of difference between an XP network driver and a Win10 (but there is backcompat).
Video driver system is radically different.
USB subsystem is radically different (but again, has backcompat).
Don't get me started on twinui (the whole UWP/Metro app framework).

You could go on for days.

>directx
Gaming trash
>.Net
Of course your proprietary trash breaks

>i have no counterargument
Why do you guys always make it so obvious?

Why not just use Linux?

It sucks. It still hasn't for some reason solved I/O stream mutex locking causing for example mouse cursor stutter and massive input lag including entire desktop freezing plus sound crackling or total pause when doing heavy file transfers. I've been waiting for someone to take notice and fix it for 17 years, and watched several bug tickets on that issue go down and rise again.

Neither Haiku nor React actually has that problem. Only Linux has it. It must be something fucking awful deep down in hairy pits of critical code or something.

Cool research operating system. Like Haiku or AROS.

Attached: 1518313720984.jpg (288x288, 39K)

Except these clone something that was actually good.

When was windows good?

delete that photo at once

source?

i wish to know sauce aswell

Since Windows/386.

WHERES THE USB BOOT SUPPORT YOU NIGGER

WEW

For old shitboxes sure. Can't wait to have a reactos retro gaymen machine.

I believe the plan is to eventually migrate to the NT 6.x system, but they want to finish the current NT 5.2 version first.

I want to try it. I'll install it on a spare computer some time soon. Does it actually work usably on real hardware, or is it still limited to virtual machines?

There is a 64-bit version in progress, but it isn't compiled and released.

It will install on some computers, but there's no USB mass storage support, and a lot of XP drivers are still incompatible. For the moment it's easier just to use a VM.

That's pretty sad. I can understand drivers still not working, but I would have expected USB storage support at least.

Keep in mind that it's still in the alpha stage

Actually both.
They have a skim layer, so it even has 8.1 compat.

Ooooh, hopefully somebody will port that to XP

No Microsoft will just buy them like GitHub and fully embrace more Linux-like OS.