What does Jow Forums think of gaming laptops, and specifically, this MSI GL62MVR 7RFX...

What does Jow Forums think of gaming laptops, and specifically, this MSI GL62MVR 7RFX? It has a 1060 6gb and currently on sale if I use a promo code on an ebay seller. I like playing WoW and Pubg, and will be connecting it to a monitor when I'm at home (1440p, but may have to go down to 1080p). I like to be able to do everything while I'm traveling for work including gaming.

$1480 AU delivered seems way too good to pass up. Thoughts?

>Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz (Up to 3.8GHz) CPU, 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 WideView Display, GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5, 8GB DDR4 (1 x 8GB, 2 x Slots) SODIMM 2400MHz Memory, 128GB SSD + 1TB (SATA) HDD, Killer Gigabit LAN, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, USB 3.1 Type-c, USB 3.0 Type-A, USB 2.0, SD (XC/HC) Card Reader, 802.11 ac WiFi, Bluetooth v4.2, Audio Jack, Windows 10 Home

Attached: laptop.jpg (1159x633, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CD3MRZD/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

get a T430 with a i5 for ~150 USD, upgrade it to a 3632QM for ~80-100 USD, get a EXP GDC beast for ~35 USD, then add a GPU of your choice along with something to power it up.

but going down that road will need time and effort to make it work, if you're not stranded for cash just go for it.

Doesn't look like an IPS screen.
That was one of the first generation 1060 laptops with bad thermals and reusing their old laptop design - battery placed near the cooling heatpipes instead of under the trackpad, which may lead to faster degradation, the space for the hdd has the shape of a dvd drive. Get some newer laptop with IPS screen.

Buy a Desktop and a small thin Laptop, don't be a fucking retard. Gaming laptops are not really portable and they're uncomfy for shitposting on the couch and in bed.
Every component underperforms when compared to their Desktop counterparts, they get loud and hot and once one component breaks you're fucked.
There is nothing they're good at and they're overpriced.

Attached: Brainlet.png (521x293, 270K)

but they're portable and i can play my vidya when i'm on my business trips which i take quite a few of

What's your take on alternatives then? I'll be moving to the US soon for 18 months, buying a desktop there means I'll have to leave/sell it once my time there is up. Buy a desktop anyway knowing it'll last for a year and a half max?

Go for a laptop. They're fine - if lacking in performance compared to desktops.

I'm moving into a new place soon and my 10 year old pc has finally died, and since I'm not 100% sure on how much room I'll have to set up a battlestation I've opted for a mobile approach for now that I can set up anywhere (if I want to game on a tv I can just hook up the laptop with a hdmi cable for example).

Really a desktop is preferable if all your gayming/work will be done in one spot, but laptops fill a purpose very well.

Get the helios 300 or a y720, way cheaper and almost same specs

Are new games that good to justify this sort of price?

just gout an apache pro, it works just fine. great performance with every game i've thrown at it on high/ultra.

Gaming laptops aren't worth it IMO.

They cram these battery hungry GPU's into these tiny laptops and they got hot, die quickly and they are bulky.
Its a scam and it interferes with other functionalities, autistic screeching from the ">Buying a gaming PC" crowd aside(They never have good alternatives anyways).
I would suggest you get a decent laptop with good battery-life and playing on low settings, the bare minimum 60fps on low settings machine you could buy so you can play your games and not have it interfere with other functionalities.

This is especially true if you travel a lot, gaming laptops's become a burden.
You'll be happy you didn't buy that gaming laptop when you finally do settle down to a place and plan to build or purchase a proper gaming machine, because chances are when that happens you're just gonna let that gaming laptop collect dust and you'll be using a lighter laptop like a thinkpad anyways.

Attached: Stang.jpg (1400x778, 87K)

I've been looking for a laptop lately.

Am I fucking crazy for wanting:
>Screen FHD or better
>An i5 8750H or better
>Fuck the GPU, can be Intel integrated for all I care
>Thunderbolt 3
>M.2 with NVMe support

I can't seem to find this combo for a reasonable price. Who the fuck cares about what GPU it has inside of it? If it has TB3 you can just get an eGPU. I can only find ultrabooks, shit that costs 2k+ anyway, or gaymin shittops with no battery life

Fuck off to /v/

I've been enamoured with this idea as well, but it seems like there's not much with decent build quality for less than €2000. I saw a Lenovo Ideapad 720S which had an i7 7700HQ and the option to disable the dedicated gtx1050 in the BIOS, but it has mediocre cooling, unfortunately. I don't know if Lenovo offers this BIOS option in other laptops of theirs.

Just get a "gaming" laptop. I added the apostrophe because in truth despite the gaming monikers, this class of laptops is a true portable workhorse. They have more than 2 cores true non-ULV CPU, non-meme GPU and a cooling solution that won't let your system throttle every 15 mins or so.

Hey guys, I need to upgrade my PC to play newer games. I bought it in 2011 though and I'm not sure if just upgrading the video card would suffice. The processor is an "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)".

Will I be okay if I just get a better GPU or is this processor outdated? I don't need to run shit at max specs, just decent.

Attached: marcus_shrek.png (900x676, 691K)

Cos egpu is still a dumb meme and the only people who tell you to use egpu, use 10 year old thinkpads with pci-e x1 and some 10 year old card.

Well, TB3 makes eGPU a viable option. Sure you're not gonna run a 1080Ti, but a 1060? 1070? 580s and hell even Vega 56s are an option.

Just a shame I end up paying Nvidia's tax for something I don't want.

The 8750H with adequate cooling will be good for years. Their shitty GT 1030 or whatever is useless on launch.

even TB2 is a viable option, if you use an external monitor

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CD3MRZD/

Absolutely considered it, as well as the G3. G3 didn't have TB3. Apparently both the G3 and G5 have garbage screens/battery life. Also G3 is thin enough to use, but the G5 looks monster thick at like 23mm thick.

Exactly this to a tee. I bought a Razer Blade 1060, so replace bulky with always needing to carry a charge cable/brick, but this is fucking spot on. My x220 gets used far more these days. The Blade is just serving as a desktop until I can be bothered to build one.

The only nice thing is that it makes playing games with friends locally and LAN parties ezpz, but how often does that happen? Rarely.

If you don't gayyme a 100USD craptop just werks (TM) if you are intelligent enough to install a light OS.

The i7 2600 still holds up very well. With a gtx 1070ti you'll get 60 fps in every game at 1080p

enjoy constant crashing due to overheating.

remember to lock your fps to 90 if you dont want this to happen :)

I don't know about this particular model, but I bought a gayyming laptop from MSI before.
AND IT WAS A TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT.
Amd discrete videocard kicked the bucket barely two years later rending the laptop unusable. But even before that it wasn't completely stable.

Maybe they are better now, but I would never buy a gaming laptop (or ANY msi laptop for that matter) ever again.

If you want to play gayyms go bad then buy a desktop or a console. That would be my advice. Mobile GPUs are fucking expensive and hard to find if you have to replace them (due to a failure or if you want an upgrade).

Thank you my darling. I will look it up.

Attached: nito.gif (557x605, 817K)

gtx 1070 (the non ti version) will also give you 60+ guaranteed @ 1080p.