/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Word Clock 'n Jitter Edition

Attached: 01-elac-debut-2-0-6-2.jpg (936x527, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VBjxdZlhCmI
ebay.com/itm/Mini-Bluetooth-DSD1796-XMOS-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amp-D-A-Wandler-APTX-PCM-COAX-OPT/262840822680
sweetwater.com/forums/showthread.php?49165-What-is-Word-Clock
reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/66xylk/guide_dac_amp_combo_units/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Old Thread

Attached: LL.jpg (2448x3264, 943K)

Attached: Rubidium_Transparent2.png (2872x1853, 1.12M)

Attached: Screen-Shot-2016-01-28-at-6.21.05-PM.png (1054x624, 143K)

Just got my lsr305's and whilst they sound good they don't touch my 650's or 600's besides bass impact, which is probably because they're fairly close to my wall. Don't get me wrong, these sound great and I'd be ecstatic if I didn't already own good headphones and know what good/decent audio sounds like.

My question is this. What is the point in these lsr305's (and others in a similar price range) when there are headphones that sound much better at a similar? My headphones have much better detail retrieval, overall accuracy and extend further in bass. What is the point in putting up with massive speakers for self use when I can use superior headphones at the same price? Even when listening to music with someone else, studio monitors sound best when you're in the center so that bonus goes out of the window in most circumstances.

What studio monitor is blatantly better than the 650/600 and how much does it cost? I was told that speakers are better than headphones, and so far I'm not fucking hearing it at all.

wtf is this

Attached: coconut1[1].jpg (467x700, 48K)

daily friendly reminder that if you don't by LS3/5A derivatives like Harbeths, you are probably poor and educated yourself about more cost effective solutions

it's because headphone mastering sounds entirely different than speaker mastering. do you think the shit your hear in your car radio is mixed via headphones to sound decent?

also although i own he-400i, i prefer to listen to speakers because it allows me to move more freely and isn't as fatiguing in the long run, i get ringing in my ears because of headphones after a certain time, even at low volumes.

i'd suggest you to try a ribbon tweeter speaker like adam/eve audio studio monitor series for nearfield.

about your last sentence, the lsr 305 have stellar imaging and nice dynamics and that's about it. it really does make a difference when listening to live performance stuff which is happening in front of you, because headphones can't emulate a soundfield as good as speakers because the center of the imaging will mostly be in your head unless it is a binaural recording

Attached: $_57 (6).jpg (1024x768, 73K)

also thanks for choosing a more visible thumbnail picture for the thread.. it has really cumbersome the last 2 threads.. the yellow is much more obvious.

mr harbeth guy, where did you get your kef ls50 from?

>daily friendly reminder that if you don't by LS3/5A derivatives like Harbeths, you are probably poor and educated yourself about more cost effective solutions

That's silly. There are a host of issues with the Harbeth line of speakers that other loudspeaker manufactures have found solutions to. That being said if you like the sound of Harbeth and BBC monitor all the more power to you. They are expensive but Harbeth is actually on the more affordable side compared to something like Yg, Wilsons, Magico or high end Revel. And yes this is Harbethanon.

Attached: IMG_3139.jpg (2500x3000, 3.69M)

Visions.ca, Canada wide they have hit rock bottom pricing $1200/pair. Free shipping to. At least it seems so since they've been on sale perpetually for weeks.

Saw these speakers for sale at Value Village yesterday. I lol'd at the price tag they had on it ($40)

Attached: IMG_3135.jpg (4032x3024, 1.89M)

>youtube.com/watch?v=VBjxdZlhCmI
Get ready bitches.

i recently sold my pair for 600€ to italy

nice more goatse speaker variations

bees sold separately

Attached: 615near.promo_.jpg (600x544, 49K)

can you recommend any good internal/PCI sound card? I'm looking for a solution to fix the annoying ground noise of my active speakers...

Genelec 8260a. They are huge for studio monitors, I mean I guess not really, lots of big boxy studio monitors have existed, but something about seeing the smaller, diminutive 5 inch woofers on most small sizes genelecs, then seeing these bad boys borders on absurd. It makes the smaller ones look like toys.

Attached: IMG_3150.jpg (575x750, 103K)

>about your last sentence, the lsr 305 have stellar imaging and nice dynamics and that's about it. it really does make a difference when listening to live performance stuff which is happening in front of you, because headphones can't emulate a sound-field as good as speakers because the center of the imaging will mostly be in your head unless it is a binaural recording

>i prefer to listen to speakers because it allows me to move more freely and isn't as fatiguing in the long run

I understand this, but it doesn't make up for the fact that music sounds better on certain headphones. Then you factor in the size and space needed of units.

>the lsr 305 have stellar imaging and nice dynamics and that's about it

They sound great overall, but fall short in both categories compared to the 600. I have my ls305's in a different setup, mainly for gaming. I just don't understand why someone would want them for music over certain headphones.

I'll ask again, what monitors compete with the 600/650 and how much do they cost?

how about we list about our experience with speakers and ask us question regarding them?

as for me, it owned/tried several.

like holy shit i need to do a list on a notepad

Bookshelf size:
JBL LSR 305, KEF LS50, Elac B6, Dynaudio Emit M20, Dali Zensor 1, Mission QX-2, Mackie CR4, Focal Alpha 50, iLoud Micro Monitor

Standmounters: Jamo C97 and C95

Bluetooth speakers: Aiwa Exos 9, Dali Katch, Tribit XSound GO Vifa Reykjavik / Helsinki / Oslo / Copenhagen, Denon Envaya / DSB 250,
Harman Kardon Go + Play / Onyx Studio 4, JBL Xtreme / Charge 2+ / Flip 4, Minirig Subwoofer, Beoplay A1 / A2, Beolit 15, BenQ Trevolo

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 25-II, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, KEF M400, Hifiman HE-400i, Philips Fidelio X2, AKG 712 Pro

bunch of chinese IEM's like Xiaomi, ATE and 1More in the 10-20€ category.

there hasn't been released a reasonable pci-e soundcard in 10 years i believe. get an external one

They're big bois alright ;)

Attached: brap.jpg (610x954, 101K)

So what are you currently using out of all of those? What is a permanent pair for you out of the bookshelf size? I see that you haven't tried any floor standing.

try iloud micro monitors maybe, they sound more emerging and different to lsr 305.

i showed them to a friend and he was asking if this is a surround setup and where the subwoofer is..

i said, this is called stereo.

i'm getting back to iloud micro monitors soon and settle with them, they are as good as it gets for the price and sound and my desires. currently have the focals on my desk but i'm selling them soon.

for headphones, i settled with orthodynamics aka hifiman because you won't get any better sound price/performance wise and anything more is just asking for specific adjustments in frequency response in my opinion.

the new Zeos video shills me into buying ATH M60X though, really t empted but let's see. i'm just really annoyed by the heaviness you have to deal with orthodynamics. 300g is too much for long listening durations since the comfort isn't too great

about bluetooth speakers, some cheap bluetooth speaker coupled with minirig subwoofer and you are settled for life in mobile entertainment. i'm trying to get some jbl flip 4 soon again to see if the jbl flip 4's dsp latency works good with the minirig on aux connection.. this will probably the best setup you can get for mobile sound. since all the flip 4 lacks is sub bass cuz the tweeters sound like jbl 305's

also i tried floorstanding.. labeled it standmounters lol
i noticed that price/performance is not worth it because my living room is rather tiny and the extra boom doesn't do any good because it swallows details and bass accuracy. not to mention harassing my neighbours lul

my permanent pair for bookshelves connected to TV setup will be the freshly released QX-2 for now, they really sound fantastic and blow most speakers away i compare them to.

they have a very strong and accentuated/precise/sharp bass, acceptable mids for the price and the highs are really fantastic. recently did a comparison with elac b6, they were blown out of the water

>external one
any recommendation? Since my speakes are suffering from ground noise, I'm looking for an external sound card which isn't powered by the computer.

depends on your region i'd say. in germany you have pro-ject which does reasonably good stuff.

in america it's Schiit.

i'm a very experimental guy so i just ordered this unordinary guy from china recently.. can't wait to test it because on paper, this is an absolute beast!

ebay.com/itm/Mini-Bluetooth-DSD1796-XMOS-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amp-D-A-Wandler-APTX-PCM-COAX-OPT/262840822680

>External sound card
Get a DAC. Ol DAC, Topping, Fiio.

What studio monitors are blatantly better than the lsr305s? that don't cost twice as much? No memes or brand bias. Just fucking name one that is objectively better at that price point.

So glad you asked. When I upgraded my speakers, I began to hear little disturbing high-frequency "chirping" when playing mp3s, but not WAV or CD. So this Edition of /ag is about word clock.

sweetwater.com/forums/showthread.php?49165-What-is-Word-Clock

What is Word Clock?

Every digital device, from a simple portable CD player to a Pro Tools HD rig, has a word clock. Not to be confused with sync clock (like MTC or SMPTE), word clock is what tells a A/D or D/A converter when to take the sample. It fires an impulse to the converter 44.1k (or 48k, or 96k, etc) times per second. The reliability of this clock, how evenly spaced those pulses are, determines the accuracy of the conversion process.

If you have digital connections in your studio (S/PDif, lightpipe, etc), you MUST have a single clock source. If multiple devices are each trying to be the master clock, you will probably experience pops, clicks, or sometimes chirps in your audio. The solution is usually to make sure that you only have one master clock, and that all slave units are getting a clean clocking signal.

But even without obvious problems like pops and clicks, you may still have more subtle word clock problems. Think of it like this...

Ever seen clips from the very early days of film? Back in the days of hand-cranked cameras, it was extremely difficult to get the shutter speed to be at uniform rate. The result was a moving image that, when played back at a constant shutter speed, seemed "jittery." the motion was often jerky and unnatural. This was due to the imperfections of the original film speed.

The same thing happens in digital audio. The more "jitter" present in the clock source, the less accurate the resulting conversion will be. Jitter is manifested in audio as phase distortions and discepancies, particularly in the higher frequencies.

Attached: d8bwc3.jpg (527x274, 52K)

There are no such monitors. Adam T5V is close but more expensive. LSR designer made some monitors like LSR for $300/pair. I don't know if they are better. I doubt it because they still don't have the JBL patented waveguide. I don't think you can really find another budged monitor for that price (or even 2x higher) with such good power response.

Improving the quality of your clock is an easy way to upgrade every A/D and D/A converter in your studio. In most cases, adding a high-quality master clock, such as Apogee's Big Ben or Antelope Audio's Isochrone OCX will result in a marked improvement in the overall quality and clarity of your finished product.

But what if you don't have a master clock? One of the hallmarks of Apogee and other high-quality converters is usually a low-jitter clock. If you have a great converter in your system, you can feed that clock source to everything else with an A/D or D/A converter on it (like an audio interface, for example). Replacing the built-in clock of your interface with the clock signal from the master clock will dramatically improve the quality of the conversion being performed by the interface. There are still other factors at play, so it's not identical to running the same signal through the high-quality converter, but it is usually a very noticeable improvement.

For more on this topic, check out my friend Nika Aldrich's book Digital Audio Explained for the Audio Engineer, available through Sweetwater.

Attached: mclock_typical_hookup.jpg (1063x1457, 493K)

post a few pics of ur system pleeez

Attached: Gramovox.gif (555x450, 3.17M)

If that's the case then sub $500 headphones are vastly superior to speakers when it comes to individual listening.

Hey audiophools, rec me a solid portable music player. I open to a phone or a dedicated device. I'm looking for something with as much expandable memory as possible.

no

I genuinely want you to prove me wrong. What monitors are better than hd600's? I don't even want you to match the price, because I know it's not possible.

Name monitors that sound better than the 600's for $500 right fucking now.

shanling m1

Attached: IMG_20180119_160629 - Copy.jpg (1215x1620, 789K)

Better is subjective, and there are many factors at play beyond simply the speakers - speaker/listening position, room dimensions, room treatment etc. To get the most out of any speaker would require you to address those issues first.

any

What's the max storage on this bad boy?

I think max is like 256GB

Attached: IMG_20170219_104616.jpg (4048x3036, 2.8M)

Hmm. I was eyeing the Pioneer hi-res digital audio player XDP-300R.

Expandable up to 2x 256 SD cards. Surely there's something out there with at least a TB of storage?

is it really difficult to carry multiple microsd cards or not bring your entire library with you

I cant think of 100gb of albums that I want with me at all times

Attached: IMG_20170209_132434.jpg (4048x3036, 3.8M)

It's convenient is all. It appears the Astell & Kern AK KANN can do nearly 1TB of storage. 64gb internal + 400gb micro SD + 512gb SD = 976gb

Way too much money at $1k new.

Value Village/Savers/Goodwill/etc are either extremely retarded with their pricing or "HOLY FUCK I GOTTA BUY THIS NOW!!!" with it.

I found a Gateway ZX4300 at the local Savers for $15, it just needed a power supply. 4GB RAM, Athlon II 235e, 640GB hard drive. I used it for 2 years as my primary machine. Posted it up here when I first brought it home. Had an issue where it wouldn't turn on and post but one Youtube video later and I had it running like a champ until if finally died.

pic related, the ZX4300 cleaned up and in place.

Attached: 100_3306.jpg (3472x2604, 1.15M)

I'M GIVING UP
ON TRYING

So I got a free TV which works except for the sound.

>Laptop to TV, Laptop to speakers: works
>Laptop to TV, TV to speakers: does not work

I have not tried plugging the audio in from the device to one of the TV's audio input ports and running speakers out from that. I have also not tried bluetooth speakers.

So, is my best option to just connect the audio out from whatever directly to the speakers? I think I'm just going to get a Rasberry Pi to use as a stream box.

get an avr and hook it up with hdmi

What's an AVR? New to audio stuff. Fwiw, the previous owner told me it was a motherboard issue that wasn't worth fixing in his opinion.

Audio Video Receiver. Depending on the TV you could probably open it up and easily fix it yourself.

If I could afford the $14k for Harbeth 40.2s I'd be listening to them right now, over a new car or vacation. They're the Stax of speakers, I haven't heard anything else as realistic. But! I own a pair of Stax, and that sounds better than any speakers I can listen to - for A LOT less. I'd have to spend $20k for the 40.2s and a pair of Benchmark AHB2s to give me the same sound as my DT1990s.

Attached: Harbeth 40.2.jpg (5184x3456, 846K)

>DT1990
go to a salon with dynaudio and try out the contour 20 and if you like it better than the DT i will tell you how to get something compatible for less than 1k

That's a sweet little fairytale, now stick up your arse and shill somewhere else.
>buy my book.
The fuck. This isn't some boomer snake oil forum.

Attached: No.gif (478x298, 3.38M)

My Man! I hear you - if I wasn't so impressed with what the Harbeths do, I'd be all over Dynaudio, my third favorite after Tannoy. Dynaudio powered by Naim was THE BEST SOUND AT SHOW APONEXA 2016, IMO. I, literally, teared up hearing it, started crying, like that sappy video of dude listening to headphones. But that's Too Much stereo for my room, if that's possible.

Attached: DSC00973.jpg (5184x3888, 679K)

Don't go all /pol on me. I'll be posting more on word clock from different sources, including from DAC chip manufacturers, like the kind in your computer. If you feel compelled to buy things simply because someone says "read this" then you need to research free online pdf sites.

Now go out right now and buy this turntable in pic related. It's the best every made according to graphs shown on the internet.

Attached: Turntables-009.jpg (1920x1440, 78K)

gotta complete that sales pitch. I getcha

What I really want, is more information on your magnificent cable lifters. Can you get that for me sweetie?

You do You OP, I appreciate sharpening a pencil to a fine point as well. If there's a better way, let it be known!

external soundcard, internal, amplifier, or dac/amp combo?

I bought a fiio e10k today, is it a meme?

This was my rig for almost a decade. Originally bought the speakers planning on moving into a big place but that didn't work out. They didn't sound good in a small room so I sold/traded them for $1K, a pair of KEFs, and a pair of ADSs.

Attached: DSC_1167.jpg (1024x681, 188K)

Still haven't decided which pair to keep.

Attached: DSC_8252.jpg (2304x1536, 459K)

Jeezus! I presume there were no issues w/SPL

Damn those are huge, how much do they weigh?

like the level of variety

Yeah. They just made too much sound for the room. It was a mess to listen to them. They'd hit a natural 27hz though. Killer for pipe organ music.

185 pounds each. Big fuckers.

See? THIS is what Overachieving is about. Don't need it, but gotta have it. Buypig award goes to user! God Bless Amerca

Attached: HHAAMM.jpg (799x531, 165K)

Nothing wrong with enjoying audio as long you aren't rude and sneer at poorer people. Let him be user, he's nice. And I'm sure he didn't buy it retail price.

Get the 30.2, unless your room is really big, the 40.2 would be too biggu for it. You're going to get the same acoustic characteristics of the 40.2 in the 30.2. I heard the 40.2 and the 30.1, yes, the 40.2 has way bigger bass and sound but they both produce sound in a similar manner, and both sound great. My room is only 16x10x9 so I went with the 30.2. I was told a 3 month wait and now 20 more days. The wait is killing me...

Attached: 318harbeth.H302fig3.jpg (600x415, 56K)

what is cheapest bestest speakers for my dorm room????????????????????????

Just upgraded from my ath m30xs to a pair of m40xs. I got the Bluetooth adapter for when I'm on the go. Anyone have any equalization setting advice?

I'm unironically cheering him! I'm jealous...

Attached: BB Schweet.jpg (500x663, 25K)

Yeeeeeeaaah... I'm not gonna front like I have some extra spectacular audiophile league sound system. I have my Polk Audio Monitor 60's I bought back in '05, a Sony STR-D915 receiver I got in '95 that I originally used with my Paradigm Atom (V1) speakers. I have a 50+1 Sony CD changer that still gets a substantial amount of use when the missus isn't watching her tv shows (like now... pic related). I still have the Paradigm Atom's but they're not in use because I need to replace the terminal cup on both of them (they ARE 24 years old) and I also have a Polk RM6005 satellite/center/subwoofer setup that isn't being used at the moment. I also have a pair of Bose Roommate II's that I bought in early '94 'cause I needed something for monitors for my DJ rig.

Attached: audiostation.jpg (1600x1200, 207K)

Thanks user, I hope it works out for you. I'm in FantasyLand over here, but I've got good Hold Music at least.

Attached: P1060006.jpg (4608x3456, 870K)

Comfy

edifier stuff

This is all I have that really qualifies as "audiophile" and even then is is solidly midfi.

Attached: 20170423_145043 - Resize.jpg (5047x2839, 3.48M)

My first thought was to recommend a pair of Paradigm Atom's, but you said "cheapest" so I'mma say Sony SS-B1000's. Fuck what anybody says to the contrary. For $50 USD these lil fuckers are pretty hard to beat.

Attached: ss-b1000.jpg (2048x1536, 1M)

I'm confused. I just wanted equalization settings.

Can someone point me to a preamp with 5.2 hookups? Used is fine as long as it has HDMI and can decode DTS and such

DAMMIT!!!

I was replying to with my bad

not the other dude, but i found the prior iteration of this Sony model at low cost, and i keep finding another pair every 3 months - they are quite "tight" in the mid-bass and have good resolution in the treble - and they're really loud and solid in build; probably one of the better low cost bookshelf speakers available because not many people know how good they are

Need some speakers for PC, looking at $1500-2000 range. Passive\active does not matter. I dont have amplifier but will make one myself or buy some PA thing, so easier load speakers are preffered if not active.

JBL 705

Does the Sub Out on powered speakers (like a Klipsch) pass the lower frequencies (

>Best Buy offers vinyl but not audio CD's
What a fucking timeline this is.

Attached: 262F28DD-38B7-4D0F-A11B-0699956E839B.jpg (1439x1439, 107K)

any of you guys have a Lepai 2020, Pyle PCA-1, or Dayton Audio DTA-1? I'm looking for something to drive a pair of my Polk RM6005 satellites to replace this god awful Dell sound bar that came with my monitor.

Well CDs got murdered by streaming and audio files. But you can still easily market vinyl to crowd and sell this shit, really not rocket science.

tfw buying cds

Attached: 1518832080746.png (1000x750, 846K)

easier to make bank on retards jumping into the vinyl meme with their crosley record players they just bought

I got a refund from an Ebay seller for a SCD-CE-595 cause it wont play hybrid sacds. What player should I buy, Jow Forums? and what should i do with this 5 disk piece of shit

Attached: 1515866677614.gif (500x364, 806K)

Jokes on you I'm a retard with an ATLP-120

Are you selling it ? My old pionner burst up in flames.

I live in Italy so most products aren't available here. After a long research I've come across the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100. I can buy it for around 160€. Do you know it?

maybe but, idk what youd want with it as it does not play hybrid discs

omg, you probably should have just went for m60x straight away. zeos is shilling them like crazy, can u return them?

hmm it's so old that you might be able to get a good deal on used market

reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/66xylk/guide_dac_amp_combo_units/

on zeos guide it is also mentioned so i'd say, go for it

Nice argument. Lsr305's don't have anywhere near the detail retrieval of the 600's. They feel like they're missing 20% of the song in comparison.

Again, name a Speaker under $500 that can match the hd600 in most things besides bass impact.

I haven't listened to the LSR 305, but I can say that the Presonus Eris e5 provide better imaging and bass impact than the HD600, in fact I'm almost tempted to sell the Sennheiser. As for detail retrieval, what do you mean?

Attached: IMG_20180730_1755509.jpg (4056x2704, 2.43M)

lsr305

Is there a cheap alternative for this?

I mean the general amount of detail and sound that you can actually hear. The lsr305s are good, but they're clearly missing certain sounds and detail that are noticeable on the 600's. The only thing better about them is the fact that they have more boom in the bass, but even then, they don't even extend as far as the 600s. It's lucky that I have these speakers for gaming because they'd be a literal huge annoyance just for music, when my headphones sound better.

It's almost as if personal preference exists and some people prefer the sound of headphones to that of speakers. Of course, no speakerbrainlet will ever acknowledge this, they're almost all delusional idiots.

It's not preference when parts of all songs are literally missing on my speakers compared to not only my 600's, but other inferior headphones. I want to know what speaker under 500$, fuck it, under 1k that can match the 600's in most things besides bass.