I have a shitton (~180k) of image files including their thumbnails, varying between a few kb and 50mb in size

I have a shitton (~180k) of image files including their thumbnails, varying between a few kb and 50mb in size.
What is the best way to copy the whole directory to another drive for backup purposes?
I guess the win10 default file tool is meh? I also have teracopy installed, which is decent, altough I don't really know what it does better.
Plus, I have a linux shell so i can use anything like cp, rsync and the likes.

what gets me the best results?

Attached: file.png (432x208, 20K)

Probably rsync

rsync on Gentoo

ctrl + c, ctrl + v

>dear Jow Forums how do i copy file
what the fuck

Write an assembly script to do the copying for you?

/thread

Assuming that is too scary and you couldn't possibly use a program without a gui, try microsoft synctoy.

didnt know this exists. will def. check it out. thanks!

Install GuixSD (and rsync)

robocopy

What is the problem again?

Does normal copy not work?

its slow and I dont trust it

zip, tar, or whatever archive
then copy?

The main problem is that you have so many fucking files at ranging sizes. Copying so many files is just aids. By putting these into an archive you can theoretically just have them mapped in one file. The initial archive might take some time, but moving the file around for whatever reason should be faster

>vista has a slowdown problem 10 years ago copying to network drives
>fixed in very first service pack
>meme still lives
Absolute state, etc.

Attached: 1517544511331.jpg (600x636, 58K)

Use WinRar and archive them. Then you only have one big file to transfer, and it's sequential real and write so it'll be fast.

With WinRar you can:

1) Have WinRar automatically verify the files after adding them to the archive so you know with 100% certainty they have been added

2) Get a warning if silent or not silent corruption happens to any of the images in the archive

3) Repair the damage with parity records created beforehand and stored along with the images in the archive

4) Split the archive to create redundancy. Pieces can be sourced from various different sources and the content extracted. With big parity records you don't even need all the pieces to recreate the entire content.

read* and write

hm, might be a good idea to zip them.
if i just store them (zero compression) is there ever a chance of the file becoming corrupt and I can't restore any other images that might get affected?
I'm using old hdds here because I'm currently poor and cant afford to buy proper ones, I'm really autistically paranoid about damaging my stash

Attached: 0blLD7H.jpg (399x298, 24K)

With WinRar, only if you actually create a solid archive can that happen. And with a recovery record, a little damage can be corrected There is a tiny chance that the header in the archive becomes corrupt doe to bit flips but even that can be fixed

well, I'd be zipping north of 100gb of tiny files, if a corrupt archive means loosing unaffected images, that'd be shit. (i use 7zip if that makes any difference)
I'd rather copy the files one by one and take the risk of straining the harddrives more

If you check the recovery record option you can repair any corruption of the archive. If you have say 10% recovery record, you can literally corrupt 10% of the archive in random places and still extract the content. As a bonus you will be informed if any corruption happens. If a bit flip happens while you copy your images you won't know until you try to open the image That could be years after the fact, and by then you'd probably not have any really old backups to compare the corrupted image with.

Also, use winrar. Use 100% recovery record and split it into 100MB chunks. Store the chunks on multiple hdds. As long as you can get 50% of the chunks, order is irellevant, you can restore the content.

>how do I copy a file
a thread died for this