Is this unironically the best laptop on the market?

>pilot.search.dell.com/xps 13 developer edition
>neowin.net/news/ubuntu-1804-now-available-for-pre-install-on-dell-xps-13-developer-edition

>16 GB RAM
>512GB SSD
>4k Display
>Full keyboard
>Sexy af
Bought to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys. Lenovo shills can't compete.

Attached: xps_13.png (922x577, 235K)

maybe for a day

and its not sexy sorry. get a load of those sharp edges lmao 0/10 wnb

Sure thing, sweetie...
>$3,099.00

Attached: sweetie.png (1115x652, 65K)

Jow Forums temps me to buy one everyday but I already fell for and maxed my x230. Does everything I need it to. Plus I'm pretty sure companies are actually advertising through posts/youtube to get past adblocking software.

I have the XPS 15 and its easily my favorite laptop.

4k on XPS 13 is absurd
(1080p XPS 13 owner here)
1080p makes stuff small, 4k just makes it worse and kills battery faster

>2-in-one

>my x230
Same here but with an X61t.
I can't upgrade even if i wanted to anyway.

4K would be good for pr0n tho.

When you're thinking on buying a laptop, you must ask yourself three questions:
1) It is not an apple?
2) It is not a microsoft surface?
3) It does what i want it to do?
If yes for all three, pull the trigger.

>still 10 hour battery life at minimum
>4k on XPS 13 is absurd
That's a weird way of spelling awesome

>mfw the 1080p shills come out in full force

Attached: 1847475745.jpg (590x322, 216K)

I like how it doesn't come preloaded with Spyware10.

This

The 4K variants also have 99% sRGB coverage.Colors are breathtaking and even look bettrer than most OLED displays i seen.

Come on, its not like spyware 10 would tell microsoft you uninstalled it via some secret hardware backdoor.

>Integrated Intel garbage.

allow me to regurgitate, all that potential and saddled with a fucking mobile graphics device, that's like the carcass of a goddamned Ferrari in your garage but powered by a hamster in a wheel

>m-muh vidyagaemzz
kys nigger

dedicated GPUs aren't only used for gaming you colossal idiot

More like sperging out that the Ferrari can't go off-roading .

You lost me at 4k. Not enough visual improvement to justify a massive waste of resources and a slower clunkier computer.

Go for the XPS 15 if you want a dedicated GPU

>4k on that small of a screen
>over $1000
>small battery
Nothing can beat the x220.

Attached: 186364365364.png (1257x579, 127K)

Bullshit...not the previous user but having a 4k screen powered by a fucking Intel integrated GPU is less of a Ferrari and more like you put a go-kart motor in a fucking semi truck. What a collosal piece of shit that thing must be!

I mean if you're not doing video editing or gaming then I don't see the downside to having a nicer display.

user, as someone who has tried one I can say its not slow. The XPS line is higher end. You thinking an i7 with integrated graphics would struggle with 4k is ridiculous.

no, thinkpad is obv the best

the greentext should read:
>m-muh 1kg and 1cm thick laptops
not everyone can work with MS office and facebook machines

>he doesn't know there's other places to buy thinkpads
did you even try user?

>Twice the size and weight
No thanks laptops should be portable

The dell logo is so ugly.

>The dell logo is so ugly.
I agree. It would unironically be better if just the 'E' wasn't so faggy.

What's the price point of the 1080p versions and how easy will it be for me to replace shitbuntu with GOATENSuse or KDE Neon?

Attached: KDE-Slimbook.jpg (265x190, 7K)

I got my XPS 13 9360 for like 600 bucks. All distros work on it perfectly fine, or, at least, the ones I've cycled through (Ubuntu, Suse, Debian, Arch, Void, etc.)

2700u with 25w tdp in a laptop with a numpad fucking when??!!

The old Dell logo was GOAT.

Attached: famous-logo-evolution-history-old-new-dell-cog.jpg (700x510, 25K)

between 1k-1.5k
what is so bad about ubuntu? redpill me on linux distros

bruh where?

Wow, they fucked up. That look is classy.

Off of Dell's website last Black Friday. They had a pretty big sale. The developer edition is cheaper than the regular one, of course, because it doesn't come packaged with Microsoft shit.

>XPS 13 9360
Cheers. How do these things go as a range from low-high spec compared to Macbooks these days for my Uni/Professional friends? Was thinking of maybe getting one for myself and then pushing some Gnome style Linux on the ones that don't need anything specific for work because fuck it why not.

>mfw checking out the black Friday sale and using my employee 30% off discount.

If I'm lucky I can buy a 1080 for 300$ like my friend did.

Attached: 1526736335116.gif (362x270, 1.91M)

>Dell
Can of worms I would not touch.

I use mine for programming work. I had to drop the Macbook after their keyboard change, honestly, it feels fucking awful. Now, the XPS 13 isn't perfect either, there's some pretty bad QA problems, but it's still better than modern Macbooks and if you're using it for Uni stuff like taking notes, it'll serve you much better especially with the superior keyboard. That being said, most Ultrabook keyboards are "decent" at best, so it's not like it's amazing or anything, it's just that the Macbook one is fucking horrible.

By the way, if you do get it on Linux, be sure to grab powertop or tlp, my XPS gets 13-14 hours of battery life with it, it's great.

I think the last gen is better (9360)
>can get one with 8th gen CPU
>has usb type-a
>has a slightly bigger battery
>wifi card isnt soldered on so you can replace the shit Killer one with an Intel

I agree. Funnily enough, though, I was having issues with my XPS and decided to call up Dell for an exchange, and now they're sending me the enterprise edition of the 9370 and THAT one comes with the Intel wifi card by default. Also, ram upgrade for free which is nice. Gonna miss my type-a USB, though.

Honestly most people use it as a base because it's compatible with the most software etc my problem with it is, their desktop environment was shit but interesting and now they've scrapped it I may aswell just use something more built towards the DE I want to use, and still keep most of that compatibility.

Personally for example I like the tools that come with OpenSuse more, YaST and so on. I'm a normie though, everyone else would be able to explain it better.

That's crazy, I always thought the latest Macbooks were just the go too thing for people because of how clean and user friendly they are. Might give it a go aye, do a bit of a comparison.

soldered wifi card? what the fuck?

what's next? soldered SSD?

Both already a think in macbooks.

why are people so obsessed with ThinkPads?

Durable, good specs, cheap, easy and cheap to fix.
The only few laptops without planned obsolescence.

because other brands can't get the utilitarian no-frills look, right

i was heavily considering Dell but I ordered a Lenovo instead despite all the issues

Is Lenovo still selling Thinkpads?

see pic related. dell is kinda odd

Attached: csm_DSC_0903_watermarked_b39ba3981f.jpg (1620x1080, 416K)

Yes but unless you are getting them through your business for a good deal you are better buying used ones.
Not all of them are good though, only X, T, W and P models are good, the rest are not exactly great but work pretty well.
A laptops are T and X but with AMD CPUs, the old AMD CPUs were horrible, housefire tier, but their new Ryzen APU models look fantastic.

man if only we got a Ryzen Pro in a T480s chassis instead. The rear removeable battery is a classic, but the dual battery system is so awkward and only makes sense if SSDs, power banks and usb-c charging weren't a thing already.

>buying anything not ryzen

So the A485?

>why are people so obsessed with ThinkPads?
I think they're trying to relive the late 2000's. The new thinkpads have major qa problems, which I blame on chink factories. Chink factories ruin my fucking life. If I'm paying hundreds of dollars for something, I want it to be fucking durable or at least well assembled. Chinks have no concept of quality.

>512GB SSD

What does it feel to be a storagelet?

Alienware.

Craptop for hakzor

Ryzen doesn't get great battery life desu

that's a T480 chassis, restricted to the shitty FHD screen

>1.2 kg
>dobt even have mx150
trash
Ill just get something lighter

also 4k + touchscreen on 13 in is a complete meme and battery hog

What is a good alternative then?
>in b4 used hardware memepad
I just want something good to type on for programming. Its gotta be fast too. I'd like to spend around 1500 usd or so.

Its decent but...
>no Ryzen option (2500U, 2700u)
>chin cam
>throttles
That's all I can come up with. Its OK but its too small and I hated the build quality when I had a 9360. I don't like aluminum and black plastic. Felt consumery but high end consumery.

Attached: IMG_20180729_211853.jpg (4208x3120, 1.43M)

Oh and soldered ram and no high capacity ram options typically like 16gb unless you by the highest end ones which imho is just not worth the price for DDR3 and a low power cpu of which you can get in any consumer laptop. The price premium is too high and the quality really isn't that impressive. I prefer a latitude 5490 or 7490 or a thinkpad to that.

Why the fuck would I want a laptop like that

Buy a chrome book pleb

XPS 15 >>> Macbook >>> Thinkpad

this joke isn't funny anymore

XPS 15 >>> Macbook >>> Thinkpad

I just want an X220 with a decent screen and modern specs

why don't they make that

Attached: DSC03583.jpg (533x800, 50K)

>>no Ryzen option (2500U, 2700u)
Because Ryzen mobile is simply less efficient. Every laptop with a Ryzen variant and Intel variant always list the Ryzen variant as having lower battery life which is reflected in reviews.

Those aren't even in the same class. The Precision is Dell's professional/workstation line like the Thinkpad. The XPS and MBP are prosumer devices with mediocre support but a lot of pizazz.

dell is weird

Ryzen Latitude (7495) exists but you can't order it off their site

What's the purpose of Thinkpads, are they cheap options for white collar professionals or are they more for the stay at home NEET and professionals have to go for something shinier like an XPS/MacBook? (I'm talking here basic Microsoft Office, Chrome/FireFox and so on)

Laptops that are reliable and wont die randomly with good warranty so the business doesn't have to worry about reliability on them (See Macbooks), there is another tier for industrial use (Panasonic Thoughbooks for example).

a laptop i can commute with that i can just shove around

i dont wanna baby a fucking acer aspire just so it won't crumble

They're just business machines. In theory they should have better customer/business support than consumer models if you get the premium warranty, but I've heard Lenovo's customer service at every level is utter dogshit.

Dell and HP also have business-class machines but actually have good, locally based service by most accounts I've heard. Dell has Latitudes and HP has elitebooks. The XPS 15 is a consumer version of the Dell Precision 55x0, which is a workstation for people who need power like developers, CAD engineers, 3d artists, etc. HP's workstations are in the Zbook line, but the zbook studio laptops are their premium workstations.

Why can't I find a new laptop with 16gb of ram for less than 2k?

I should really say the Precision 55x0 is a pro version of the XPS 15, since Dell designs the XPS 15 chassis first and the precision generally comes later, a little more refined I guess.

wait for China to push RAM prices down

One of the very first results on Amazon with a criteria of only 16gb ram. There were many more.

The reason you're struggling is because you're a goddamn retard.

Attached: g-retard.png (1265x236, 83K)

Friends I ~might~ be getting a new job in the coming months and, for a large portion of my day, I will be doing literally nothing.

I'm looking for a cheap laptop that I would be able to play some games on. Cheaper the better. Any ideas?

If you ask nicely you can generally get customer support people to give you like $50 off which would cover some of the RAM upgrade. Or use a cashback site when they're doing 10% back

>eluktronics
>gayming laptop
>but I'm the fucking retard
It's not the only fucking criteria you jackass

>Why can't I find a new laptop with 16gb of ram for less than 2k?
>literally the only criteria you mentioned
Then stop your pointless bitching and moaning for being unable to afford a laptop with your desired specifications.

Buy a shitspiron w/ dGPU for

Well, I need a good CPU, a good screen and most of all a good keyboard. I can use integrated gpu, but I was looking to spend

COIL WHINE YOU FUCKING SWINE, IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S PLAYING THE VIOLIN WHEN I OPEN A COUPLE OF VMS ON IT.
just need to tolerate it for a couple of days before i return it. piece of shit

macbooks/iphones/samsungs(apart from screens) are all made in china

i just end up setting the screen to use 1366x768 to fix the scaling issues anyway

>4k Display
>laptop
Hahahahahaha, no. It's shit.
>big battery drain
>everything is smaller
>no benefits, just flaws
You don't need or want more than 1080p on a laptop. 4k is good only for television.

Hey sweetie I had a $1500 thinkpad yoga with a 16gb ram, stylus and so on few generations ago and ended up hating the piece of shit. Never am I going to buy a new thinkpad again, gonna get a dell xps next

so the reason why they wont do a 15 inch xps is because of the graphics card right?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 11.23.18.png (400x332, 135K)

Most of them are chinkbots that advertise against applel. Few of them actually had or their relatives had thinkpads when they were good.

>t. uses an OS or DE with shitty scaling
Install Gentoo KDE

>intel

It has same battery life as intel laptops on a same line laptops.

Doesn't the yogas have problems installing Linux?