Encoding videos

Is there any reason why I shouldn't encode my videos in H265 12-bit other than encoding speed? I used to encode with 10-bit but now there's 12-bit available, so I can use this for higher quality low filesize?

Attached: 1524415816835.png (1920x1080, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf
mattgadient.com/results-encoding-8-bit-video-at-81012-bit-in-handbrake-x264x265/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes, you shouldn't use x265 at all, it's pajeetware with shit encoding times and it's only noticeably better than x264 at really low bitrates. also i sure hope you're not reencoding.

Wat. 12 bit is larger in the general case.

I can increase the crf to lower filesize and keep quality high

why don't you encode with both and compare differences?

H264 or go home. Or what, you can't afford more HDDs?

yes...I'd have to cash out my bitcoins first

Attached: 1527526312089.png (828x196, 18K)

why would you even do that? if your source material is 8bit, or even 10, you get nothing out of encoding higher, its the equivalent of taking a jpg and converting it into a png, the file is larger but there is no quality increase whatsoever.

Well then no problem, use H264.

Its RAW video files

even so unless you have displays that are capable of displaying it, its fairly wasteful.

>Handbrake
Why?

There's no reason to use 12-bit.
10-bit x264 compresses better than 8-bit, but it doesn't work that way for x265. It only makes encoding slower and your 8-bit video won't look any better just because you recompress it.
Just use the regular x265 and wait until AV1 gets some performance boost like a reasonable human being.

Attached: 200px-AV1_logo_2018.svg.png (200x111, 5K)

12-bit wouldn't be there if there was no reaosn to use it. You'd use H265 12-bit with higher CRF for maintaining quality and ultra low file sizes.

Encode some file with x265 8-bit and 12-bit and same CRF and post the size of your outputs.

Same CRF doesn't tell you anything.

There's no point in doing that. For 12-bit you'd put higher CRF than 8-bit, 12-bit maintains better image quality thus higher file size, so you put higher CRF.

I hate this board so fucking much. People who obviously have no fucking clue keep parroting retarded shit like this over and over again.

Then post also screenshots and let's compare them.

>x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf

Kill yourself you retarded nigger

>muh 8-bit video won't look better just because you recompress it
mmm, I really didn't know that

Or you could look at the difference here
mattgadient.com/results-encoding-8-bit-video-at-81012-bit-in-handbrake-x264x265/

You're the retard. Going from an 8-bit source file to 10-bit or 12-bit is stupid.

>he thinks encoding is lossless

how the hell does 264 8-bit have higher filesize than as 10-bit? I should be higher due to more information

I mean the 10-bit should be higher

Are there even better alternatives?

And by better I mean things with easier method to use while maintaining speed and quality?

ffmpeg for (re)encoding many files or if you want access to more filters
makemkv to rip DVDs/Blu-rays

Handbrake is decent if you're not familiar with command line tools and want to handle a small amount of files.

I don't even have a reaction image for this next-level ignorance.