/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: mi.png (959x630, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/ThinkPad-X200
trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1715664950
youtube.com/channel/UCZrrEuHiQjN2CUo84g5tk7w
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W700DS-Dual-Screen-Laptop-Core2Quad-Extreme-9300-2-53GHz-FX3700-/142880607167?hash=item2144590bbf
patchdynamics.net/product/gsticker
trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1715320892
trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1713352880
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

whats the difference betweet the thinkpad model names? like T and X etc. And is there any reasoning for the numbers? or are they just random

ThinkPad E or Edge: Stylish Business Laptops
ThinkPad L: Affordable Business
ThinkPad P: Mobile Workstations
ThinkPad S: Ultrabooks for Business
ThinkPad T: Legendary Business Tools
ThinkPad W: Mobile Workstations
ThinkPad X: Thin and Light Laptops
Numbers are generation, etc. X10 is 2010, X20 is 2011
s-Slimmer and lighter models
p-Performance models (Workstation) with best GPU, CPU and best screen, replaced by the W-Series
i-Lower config of the same model (for example, the X220i often have TN displays and i3 CPUs, the X220 have often IPS and i5 CPUs)
e-Even lower than i, models with missing features (all e models come without a ThinkLight, R60e comes without UltraBay etc.)

Attached: 1497740942016.png (298x360, 185K)

also tablets

I recently noticed my T420's palmrest flexes on the left side when I put a little pressure on it. Is that normal?

Does anyone use the expansion card slot? And if so, for what?

Attached: 1532323558215.png (907x830, 408K)

should I pull the trigger lads?
all of these for $941

ThinkPad E485

Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 2700U Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
Display : 14.0" FHD IPS (1920x1080) AntiGlare
Memory : 16GB(8+8) DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
Graphics : AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 Graphics
Keyboard : Keyboard - English
Pointing Device : No Fingerprint Reader, GS Black, PC/ABS/Texture
Display Panel : 14"FHD (1920 x 1080) LED, IPS, Anti-glare, Black
TPM Setting : Hardware dTPM2.0 Enabled
Camera : 720p HD Camera with MIC
First Hard Drive : 1TB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm, 2.5", SATA3
Second Hard Drive : 128GB Solid State Drive PCIe OPAL2.0 M.2 2242 (16GT/s)
Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 45WH
Power Cord : 65W AC Adapter (3pin) - UK (USB Type C)
Wireless : QCA QCNFA435AC with Bluetooth Version 4.1
Language Pack : Publication - English
Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
3Y Premier Support
3Y On-site NBD upgrade from 1Y Depot/CCI
Lenovo Professional Wireless Laser Mouse
ThinkPad 15.6-inch Basic Backpack

>E
no

Can I replace my X200 screen with an IPS? The viewing angle and color is atrocious, even compared to modern TN's.

Makes ricing an i3 kinda pointless since the reds look pink, the blacks look gray

(X200 screen compared to cheap TN from 2017 in picture)

Attached: IMG_20180730_022012.jpg (1080x1920, 287K)

this

sadly only E currently carry the new AMD processor with Vega

don't know how much will it be for A

Here this should help github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/ThinkPad-X200

look at the AFFS mod section

>github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/ThinkPad-X200
Thank you!

Been considering the possibility of setting up a Windows partition on my old W510, then link it up with my Linux desktop to play the occasional less-than-Wine-friendly game via in-house streaming.

I don't care too much about the latest AAA console port and as far as most games go, I actually prefer to play them in window mode at a sub-HD resolution (I like to multitask).

Think it's worth a shot? Am I going to run into major performance issues? I know I can just run a guest OS on my desktop, but I'd prefer to avoid it if it's not strictly necessary.

Should i get the x220 with the 12" or 12,5" display? Is there any other difference between the old and new models?

>Auction on x230 is ending soon
>Want to sell my T420 to afford it
>Undercutting the market by a long shot and still no interest

How important is screen size? Is 15.6 really that big?

Screen size also typically affects the size of the laptop. I think 15.6 is too big for a laptop screen since it would make the laptop too big for my needs.

Some people only want to use 17+ inch laptop screens though, since they plan to use it as a desktop replacement and don't have enough space for an external monitor.

What are your needs?

link

My P51 is turning off after I put it in airplane mode.
I restored system, it worked fine, to confirm that was the issue I clicked on airplane mode again - dead.

What the fuck guys

Unless you're in NZ it won't apply my dude
trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1715664950

what's the difference between an x230 and an x220 for college/light gaming (think civ V/csgo)/video streaming
is there a difference?
price difference for me is around 30 euros

Attached: epic meme.jpg (750x738, 195K)

Different guy, but I got my thinkpad while I was in school, so I wanted something relatively light and small enough that could easily be transported in my backpack and could fit on some of the classrooms' stupidly small desks. The laptop was also not terrible to use when I had to type on it. I don't think a lot of 15.6 inch laptops at the time were that light or small, and forget about the fuckhuge tanks that were 17 inch laptops.

anyone?

Who is that?

Get the x230 unless you really really like the older style keyboard.

no idea mate I just stole that image
thank you

Attached: vermin.jpg (1712x2720, 1.17M)

There will be a big difference between the HD 3000 and the HD 4000 depending on what games you play. I wouldn't play those two games on the HD 3000 but the 4000 can handle them

If gaming is ever a concern pick x230 and never look back, the difference is massive, up to 50% more performance.

How feasible would a Thinkpad be as a MAME emulator connected to a CRT TV? I don't care that much about performance but everything else I don't know about

Have a budget of $1,200 looking for a durable thinkpad that is going to last me as long as possible now that my y510p ideapad is finally starting to show cracks. I do a decent amount of gaming but have a desktop for most games but still play on my laptop occasionally when im home at my parents/friends house so I would like a halfway decent videocard.
Ive heard that the T series are some of the most durable laptops on the market but every one that ive seen either has integrated graphics or an extremely basic card. Is there anything that I could get that is just as rugged with a little more power in that department?Other items on my wishlist include an SSD with a fair amount of memory and a decent size screen (im used to a 15.6in)
Im willing to compromise. I know very little when it comes to laptops so im just looking for the best purchase within my price range that fits my needs the most.

Attached: shaolin soccer.webm (854x436, 1.63M)

How durable are the P series?

its tripcode

youtube.com/channel/UCZrrEuHiQjN2CUo84g5tk7w

Just got an x220, how do I install any linux without an optical drive? I tried using one of those liveusb bullshits but it did not work.

What do you expect from this question? Try the usb again, google more.

Should I pull the trigger? I know that most people dont buy new thinkpads but I feel weird about getting refurbished laptops and I cant seem to even find any with the specs that im looking for

Attached: thinkpad specs.png (816x872, 98K)

I just bought myself a second hand x240, and the keyboard is all grimey, and the texture is kind of worn down. Should I just clean the keyboard, or buy a replacement keyboard?

Attached: thinkpad x240 keyboard.jpg (1300x1300, 119K)

Buying the exact same model with same specs from the lenovo site would cost AT LEAST 600 more in my country. fuck me

Attached: elon misk.png (575x413, 171K)

>I tried using one of those liveusb bullshits but it did not work.
We can't help unless you elaborate about how it 'did not work'. Were you able to at least run the os from USB?

No, it boots into grub but immediately goes into grub rescue

just replaced mine and it's worth it.

Is that her nickname?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W700DS-Dual-Screen-Laptop-Core2Quad-Extreme-9300-2-53GHz-FX3700-/142880607167?hash=item2144590bbf

I'm looking in to buying a used Thinkpad. What do you guys think is the best one for student usage? Something with a 14in screen and a decent processor/screen for a few hundred bucks.

T420/T430 and ips mod, thinkpad screens are garbo

E series is shite m8

If you are that fucking destitute don't buy a goddamn 5+ year old inflated price laptop, stick with what you have

>16GB 8+8
always get the cheapest and get your own RAM/SSD

With how ram prices are this is a dumb meme, fuck off.

Go for it. The T580 is still very new so there arnt many refurbished ones out there and the prices are still pretty close to new so you may aswell just buy new and get the warranty. Pretty sure theres a better coupon code than that so do come googling before you actually buy it
where do you live

Is it still in warrant? Probably a short on the airoplane mode switch board, flip the switch and it shorts and shuts down to protect itself

>be me
>use Thinkpad x220 while 2017 MacBook Pro getting repaired
>fucking love this shit
>get MacBook Pro back
>breaks
>take it back for refund from Apple
>they give me 2015 MacBook Pro refurbed for decent price
>never fucking use it except for adobe programs

Why the fuck won't the dogs at Adobe put their programs on Linux? Then we wouldn't need windows or Mac

Thank you mates have a pepe

Attached: 1531513668578.png (850x659, 55K)

Just got a x220 with mint preinstalled, what should I do to it? My first thinkpad and i just want to know how I can improve it visually in a potentially better distribution.

Reinstall os

Microdick and applel probably pay Adobe

Warranty

How powerful should the CPU be to record with ffmpeg x11grab without hiccups?

Ye, you can even get a bezel shrink on some guides

when do lenovo back-to-school sales start?

these back-to-school bundles can't be it

They're jews what do you expect. They said July release date for the A485, except they meant July just for Japan.

i really regret passing on the 35% off + cashback sale now. I didn't even know Black friday in july was really a thing now, figured back-to-school sale might be a bigger deal.

Just got a T430 with dead battery for $150, how did I do?

Attached: that20yearoldboomer.jpg (380x349, 35K)

USD? lol.

I got around to removing the glued up mess from previous owner on the X250.

What should I cover this with? What's this hole?

Attached: glue gone now what.jpg (800x1067, 266K)

Where I can get the flex of the trackpad of the T440p?
Only the flex.

Not if you're going to upgrade to 32GB anyways.

patchdynamics.net/product/gsticker

Usually better to grab one stick of the RAM you want, and buy the rest after-market, but always sit down with a calculator and run the numbers.

or wait until china crashes RAM prices

paint it black and embrace lonovo

No stock :(
What about the hole?

Find an IBM sticker and slap it on? Patchdynamics has been dead for months now since the owner (Ai, a frequenter of Jow Forums's patch threads) is dead. Or something.

Is this good for live streaming? Not gaming, just live streaming

Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060 (2M Cache, up to 2.48 GHz)

Intel® HD Graphics

Probably not, i am using an N3160 on my router.

Where do I get a new battery for a T430? The ones on Amazon have terrible ratings

>T440p
>no caps lock led
What the fuck?

Which one do you think is better?
Keep in mind this is NZ so the prices aren't as crazy as they seem
trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1715320892
trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1713352880

why do americans use mary poppins teapots?

No. The screen is shit.( Low srgb%) Change it to 4k to get color accurate screen

Thinkpad p52 or Precision 7530?

I need a mobile workstation for pentesting and multiple VMs

l-lads...

Attached: .jpg (2160x3840, 1.18M)

Clean your fan and change your thermal paste

it didn't do this on linux...
god damn it photoshop

because there was near to none load i assume. I mean there is a slim change it's faulty reading, but i doubt that.

>tfw qt 15" T60 is coming today
I wonder if it has UXGA uwu

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>got hp 9480m
>4310u 8gb ram 128gb ssd in light wear condition, with just a few scratches here and there, seller accepts 180 bucks offer
>fingerprint reader HD+ screen backlit keyboard mint condition battery
Tell me why i still should feel cheated, /tpg/ (except for fan noise greater than my desktop and awful vertical viewing angle)

>near to none load
b-but it was idle...

go get something better than speccy (i.e. hwmonitor) and look at temp readings there as well as system load.

posting from my new thinkpad, it's brilliant. thanks for making me fall for the meme Jow Forums.

tell us more about your new toy

>be me
>company gives me T450 for work
>in love with keyboard.jpeg

Im deciding to buy a refurb T440, good price, i5 SSD and all that shit, worth it?

what's the price?
be sure to switch the trackpad after unless you love cancer

under 300€, most of them are like new.

Upgrade the motherboard to T61 and swap the backlight in the display to an Led kit off aliexpress.

clickpad on T440 is lame, be prepared to replace it right away

so do people only care about TB3 because of eGPUs? not sure if I should care about 2 vs 4 lanes on a laptop that will be bottlenecked by a throttling CPU for intensive GPU loads

CPU throttling is not an issue, the lanes are real problem, there is bit difference between 2 and 4 lanes, and 4 are not even enough for gpu to work at 100% of potential, TB3 is simply not fast enough for gpu workloads, yes it'll work but you're not getting everything out of your gpu.