DISTRO THREAD

>Which do you use
>What do you like about it
>What do you feel like is missing
>What else did you try + opinions

I'll move from Noobuntu with this reinstall and considering either Arch or Debian. Also heard nice stuff about Void. Wat do?

Attached: debian-archlinux.png (170x191, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
artixlinux.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>Which do you use
debian stable

>>What do you like about it
easy

>>What do you feel like is missing
new software

>>What else did you try + opinions
I tried arch, gentoo and must have tried ubuntu before I became a full time autist.

Used Arch for a while, am currently installing Gentoo because Arch didn't make me hate myself quite enough.

Nobody mentions how Gentoo is seemingly designed for people who have super specific preconceived ideas for what they are going to do with their system. I'm in academia and just want an experiment platform, so we'll see how long I last.

Honestly I just want something I can fuck up and fix and learn from while I still have the time.

>>Which do you use
void
no systemD and bloats
stability
devuan, calculate

>Which do you use
arch btw
rolling release, AUR, the wiki (although the info there is useful for any distro), the perfect balance of DIY and convenience/usability
not missing but weird issues like getting stuck in the middle of a reboot is annoying, i've heard the culprit is systemd so i'm considering trying out void in a VM.
all flavors of ubuntu, fedora and debian years ago.
ubuntu is pretty great for it's intended market, but it never encouraged me to really learn what makes linux (or unix-like systems in general) different from windows.

when i used fedora there was a massive issue with dependency hell so i didn't use it for more than like a week. i haven't heard anyone complaining about this nowadays, though, so it might be a pretty solid choice if you're intimidated by the arch install (although arch isn't difficult to install so long as you have SOME cli experience)

i dont have much to say about debian since it was right after i tried *buntu's and i used it very briefly

linux mint

nice dextop environment and was easy to get into, plus its based on Debian/Ubuntu which is the most suppourted distro by major companies

debian testing with contrib and non-free

easy to find information about how to do things and actually learn more about command line stuff.

i really don't feel like anything is missing. when new to linux i had somethings break in testing some minor and other things would force you to use cli to work around issues until gui was fixed. it was annoying at the time trying to find a work around but feel i know more because of it.

i tried ubuntu when it had it unity DE as default and thought it felt clunky and slow. also used debian stable but like everyone says "old packages" and even more annoying programs that exist in unstable and testing but not stable.

protip when installing debian use this one with "non-free" software, make life easier
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

>Which do you use
Gentoo
use flags, the customization and compiling from source is fun!
nothing...well hatari is masked but I can easily install it manually
every single independent distro (on distrowatch). I don't bother with distros based on distros since they're mostly useless

Attached: gentwo.png (753x784, 80K)

It has a more complicated package system because different packages now depend also on compile flags but in general it isn't much harder than any other system being installed from chroot.

Debian Testing + APT pinning to pull from unstable

I like that I don't have to fuck around a ton for stuff to work like I did in Gentoo

Honestly, the only things missing really are a few package management features Gentoo and SUSE had. Also a few packages that can be found in the AUR, but not Debian's repositories. I build those from source so it's no big deal.

I've also tried Arch, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Arch, and Debian Stable

*Alpine, not Arch x2

>Which do you use
Antergos
The rolling release, and the AUR. I always feel like im up to date.
some packages that were available on debian, such as fingerprint-gui.
I've tried Ubuntu, Debian, and Manjaro, before I finally found what I liked.

Stability?
People say void is the rolling distro that is safer to keep on updating without fear.
Are people lying on the internet?

gentoo
fast, doesn't break
women
manjaro it was buggy shit never again

debian unstable
barebones, best package manager
everything is missing since you start from nothing, just gotta know what you want
i've tried everything. nothing has a default DE/WM that I like, so that limits my options to something like slackware, arch, gentoo, LFS or some other barebones distro. I like apt's package manager the best, and never felt the need to compile every single package from source, and i don't think systemd is the boogeyman.

>Which do you use
Gentoo
Everything
Nothing
Nothing
>Anything else
Install Gentoo

>Which do you use
Antergos
It's as close to base arch as you can get without the headaches.
Not too much, the AUR has most packages or equivalents to them.
Manjaro - regularly broke everything because retard changes
Debian stable - if you don't need updated packages then this is the great because it stays out of your way and let's you work.
Fedora - see debian
Ubuntu - stable but still full of retard choices like manjaro.

use: manjaro

like: rolling release, up to date software, works

miss: nothing

tried: I used mint for a long time and was pretty happy with it, only switched to manjaro when i broke my install, as the kernel on mint didn't have any spectre/meltdown mitigations.

Arch
Simple and actually works
Nothing

*buntu, mint, elementary: noobware
CentOS, Debian stable: Jurassic
openSUSE: slow
Fedora: good
Manjaro: arch but less updated
Antergos: ok
Void: runit fails to mount an xfs disk at boot

Use: Void
Like: Easy to use ports based packaging. Runit and up to date packages
Needs: Better Documentation
Tried: Crux, Alpine, Open/NetBSD, Fedora

Attached: 35d.jpg (1200x1130, 196K)

>use
Arch
>like
Everything seems pre-configured, yet minimal enough, so that it doesn't trigger muh tism
>dislike
Not much, can't really remember anything
>try
void, debian, *buntus
Out of the bunch I probably like *buntus, because they just werk
With void and debian I've ran into some weid issues, like alsamixer not picking up my soundcard or me having to sudo poweroff, instead of just poweroff
I could have most likely fixed them, but I'm just lazy
Also Debian's repo seems either weirdly small, or oddly specific

>Which do you use
gentoo
memes
tendies
crunchbang
arch

Attached: 2018-07-30-233126_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 151K)

debian

>Use
Fedora
>Like
Just works, GNOME
>Missing/dislike
GNOME is slow
No alternative init
> Tried
Arch, *buntu, FreeBSD

I stopped distrohopping because of Fedora and GNOME so at least I got that going for me.

Why did you leave FreeBSD?

Had problems with touchpad, no Spotify, bad battery life, had glitches in Chrome. but the real reason was that I needed MATLAB for school. Tried running it in Arch using bhyve, but I think I just gave up, I don't really remember.

Other than that FreeBSD was a great experience and a nice OS overall with fantastic documentation.

>Which do you use
Void
Similar to Arch/Parabola, with a ton of frustration removed. Easier but still challenging.
Very basic things, I keep using the terminal just to do simple things. It's getting better though, I recently found a way to get usb's to automatically mount AND for the mouse to still work while doing so. Saves a lot of time instead of doing sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt every time I want to plug something in.
In this order.

>Linux Mint
First distro, introduction to Linux. Liked it, learned a lot, but got bored of it in two weeks.
>Arch
Loved it right away. Learned a ton overnight. Learned more later. Got mostly everything to work, but I wanted to try a non-systemd distro.
>Parabola
This is Arch without systemd. By default it installs systemd, but you later have to remove it and install openrc instead. However, I had many frustrations, there was little support and documentation, and after a long time of trying, I gave up on it.

openrc was too slow for me eventually.

>Void
The installation process was pretty identical to Arch and Parabola, except it had an installer. The installation goes through the same steps you'd go through with Arch, but there is a sort of cli gui instead of having to type everything. Much quicker and still minimal.

I like it a lot, it's like a "just werks" version of Arch, with runit as the init, which is actually really good.

Basically, I'd go with Void if you have time, Devuan if you have a little time, and Ubuntu/Debian if you don't have time.

Attached: 2018-07-30-064015_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 749K)

not him but lemme guess. your cursor sticked randomly? because I had the exact same issue and I don't think there is a solution

Was basically going to post this. Honestly can't see myself using anything else on my main system from here on out.
Arch, Debian, the Ubuntus, Fedora, Manjaro, Antergos, most of the big ones. Not much negative to say that couldn't be attributed to driver issues. I understand why most people probably wouldn't like using Gentoo, but personally I prefer feeling like I'm the one in the driver's seat even if it means a lot of extra effort, which is something other distros lack and just leave me feeling bored.

Attached: 1512840114354.png (615x615, 98K)

Yes, the cursor just sometimes took a while to react. If I remember correctly the problem was with cpu core entering deeper Cx sleep state and its associated wake up time, so setting it in rc config should work. But I didn't want to to sacrifice battery life just for that. Even tried looking at touchpad driver code, but I never worked with such a big codebase so I eventually just gave up.

bsd on a laptop is just a massive waste of time currently (and maybe forever). tons of driver issues and lack of support for many things especially graphics and anything laptop related. it really is just a desktop OS
>inb4 buy a thinkpad you stupid fuck
I don't want to buy a specific piece of hardware just to run an OS that has less software than linux which already has everything I need

>Which do you use
Kubuntu

Easy to get into, especially if it's your first Linux distro. Runs stable, easily customizable.

Haven't found something yet, at least for my needs. I'd like it if some things would run better under Wine (which is what's keeping me from switching completely) but that's a problem of Wine, as I see it. I also use ChemBioDraw and Cubase a lot and the lack of a better alternative makes me stay with dual boot atm

So far, tried regular Ubuntu and Mint. Both okay but Kubuntu was ideal for me at the time. I'd love to get into Gentoo or Arch but I figure I don't know enough about Linux and honestly, I don't even know what I have to know.

I don't think it was that bad. It certainly was usable and I was actively using it for cca. 3 months on older hp ProBook. It just (ofc) wasn't as polished as modern Linux distros with more manpower behind them.

I don't hate bsd. I think it's very interesting and fun to mess with but it's issues annoy me to no end especially the trackpad one. I can usually fix something myself and if not the fix is always somewhere on the internet but that trackpad issue specifically just made me uninstall it.

This is the reason why I've always been a Windows user, still is a Windows user and always will be one because of this shit RIGHT HERE. Instead of one operating system there are literally thousands of operating systems under the name "Linux". What's even worse is that some of these OSes have something called rolling releases. To my understanding, this means you get the latest packages always. I've also heard that this could "break" your system. Fuck that.

Other operating systems under "Linux" have an LTS base. This means that packages are "frozen" and don't get updated until the next release of the operating system. While this means a greater deal of stability this also means you're using outdated packages. Fuck that.

Why not use Windows where you get the best of both worlds?

you and windows were made for each other.

Attached: 1493605487075.jpg (960x959, 115K)

What benefits does FreeBSD have over Arch Linux on the desktop? I have a few FreeBSD servers running and I like the system. I like the simplicity and the system feels very professional and well made but could it replace Arch?

Not made for each other. Just easier and better to use.

Stop lying on the internet.

Always Debian because its stable and there's no hassle.

Generally only for my headless servers. My desktop is windows and my laptop is a mac

>Just easier and better to use.

Attached: hmmm.gif (320x179, 1.92M)

It is. Like I said, software management is shit on Linux because there is no uniform way to do it.
Some Linux operating systems use an LTS base while others use rolling release. Fuck that. Give me the latest AND stable packages.

>Which do you use
Arch
It just works (after configuring it for 10 hours straight)
An installer
Debian, Ubuntu (and Xubuntu), Void.
I think all of these have their attributes, but if I have to pick a best out of these it would definitely be Debian.

Normie logic in action, gents.

software will obviously be older but more stable (besides chromium which is almost broken). there's also no systemd and it's pretty minimal. there's less hardware support and applications but if you don't gayme or use any proprietary programs you will be fine

>It is. Like I said, software management is shit on Linux because there is no uniform way to do it.
>Some Linux operating systems use an LTS base while others use rolling release. Fuck that. Give me the latest AND stable packages.

Attached: Thinking_3a01b4_6377584.gif (278x234, 45K)

Thousands of different package managers, different package formats, and different ways to distribute packages. Fuck that.

you biting his bait anons. just pointing that out if you don't already know

>66947114
>Which do you use
Debian
It's simple and effective
Not much, some people complain the packages are too old, but I'm not missing much
I've used ubuntu, arch, fedora, opensuse, and void. I'd rate them
Arch>void>ubuntu>opensuse>fedora

>normie logic
Sorry, I don't need to be a special snowflake like you. I just Windows because it is objectively demonstrably better than Linux.

Attached: HMMMMM.gif (256x256, 455K)

Facts are not bait.

Not that user but I broke something on the last update I ran and Nitrogen and Pulseaudio stopped working. I mean it'd be stable if I just used the versions provided by the latest iso and hadn't updated I guess.

Posting that stupid emoji proves my point. Linux users have no counter-arguments against Windows. Easy as that.

I know you're baiting but if you're too retarded to get your head around package management then stay with your botnet OS. we don't need people like you if something as simple as package management confuses you

You might've forgotten the forced updates for Windows 10 and the "Creator's Update" that made thousands of PCs basically unusable for several weeks.

I never said the package managers were hard to use. In fact, most them looked super easy to use and I know how they work on a basic level. What I'm saying is that there is no standard package manager for the linux world.

The "counter-arguments" have been made time and time again ad nauseum, it's pretty much assumed that if you're on a tech board then you're already familiar with them. But hey, you do you, enjoy your botnet prison.

The Creator's Update hit me, too and that was Microsoft's fault. I got it fixed though. Still doesn't deter my points.

Rolling releases break computers EVERYDAY.

Attached: 2018-07-31-003502_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 39K)

linux is about choice. every package manager has their own pros and cons and everybody prefers something different. you're such a fucking blind windows user that you think everyone should use only one thing

Yes. It's better that way. One unified and standard thing is better than thousand different bullshit.

sure but it's the individuals choice to use a rolling a realise. It's no secret the risks that are involved.
>linux is about choice. every package manager has their own pros and cons and everybody prefers something different.
nailed it. There are easy "just werk" distros and there are more involved ones. It's all about choice.

if that's what you really prefer then stay with windows. linux is for people who want something different and botnet free. why do you think there are so many de's and wm's to chose from?

>Ubuntu

>huge community support, just werks

>lots of things feel really unpolished and ugly since they dropped unity and went with gnome, the whole desktop is like one ugly hack on top of other glued together just to get basic functionality

>tried pretty much all the major distros, thinking of leaving ubuntu for arch or fedora

We Windows user have choice, too. We can pick Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. There are even more choices when you consider the Home and Premium versions.

>What's even worse is that some of these OSes have something called rolling releases. To my understanding, this means you get the latest packages always. I've also heard that this could "break" your system.

yeah i find Jow Forums arch memes from 5 years ago really funny too

>We can pick Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
>There are even more choices
>Home and Premium
I'll refer you to

lads how would I go about making a new linux distro? I was thinking about making some awesome visualisations for the desktop.

Attached: 1532739854472.png (637x641, 343K)

One thing that I do like about Linux is its customizability and the ability to choose from DEs.

Ubuntu
simplicity
nothing
debian, arch

What? It's the truth.

your bait is too obvious user. it belongs in the trash

Attached: 018.gif (580x433, 2.09M)

>Which do you use
Arch
Flexibility, fresh packages and how easy it is to install software (AUR), the best wiki in the game
Init systems other than systemd
Debian/devuan (both testing and stable) - decent but has old packages
Ubuntu derivatives - PPAs are neat but it's too bloated ootb and uninstalling shit tends to break the install
Gentoo - compiling your own shit makes little no no sense imo
and also bunch of other distros but none of them made me want to switch from arch

Attached: Aqua.png (2335x2335, 402K)

>We can pick Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
No you can't

Attached: 1531425190166.jpg (1920x1080, 993K)

>Which do you use
Void Linux I3WM
Lightweight, feels like arch, easy to use and customise
Some packages, but I don't mind compiling stuff. Also, main dev.
Arch, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSuse, guixsd, Alpine, elementary os and lots of more, don't remember every. I personally hate Debian and Debian based systems since I can't get used to them and they feel a lot of more complicated than arch, void or even gentoo.

>Also, main dev
kek

So this is how Linux users give counter-arguments? By sperging out "BAAAAAIIIT!!!11!" and dismissing the facts?

I honestly thought you were baiting but now I realize you're just very ignorant

>Which do you use
Fedora 28 with KDE.
It has very recent packages but it doesn't give me any headaches.
Firefox with that suse patch. I guess I could compile it myself, but yeah fuck that.
I was memed into using Ubuntu Budgie a few months ago, and man... Budgie is very incomplete, why do people recommend this? It does seem promising but using it feels like alpha testing.
I also tried it because I wanted to give Ubuntu another chance, because I hadn't used anything Debian based in a long time. Turns out I just found out that I still hate Ubuntu and always will.

>>Which do you use
Gentoo

Everything

Manteiners for some obscure package's it manages to officially support

Slackware, debian and arch

Either debian or arch will help you learn a lot about Linux, just don't be afraid of getting your hands dirty. I would recommend avoiding void for now for the lack of users (harder to find information).

>Wich do you use
Linux Mint Cinnamon
Has everything I need to get work done, doesn’t get in my way
Nothing really, I was against bloat etc (got through arch for years and debian mini) but the fact that I have every tools I need to work preinstalled is really loving
Arch was my go to for years, really great distro. But I changed my laptop and didn’t need something minimal and was lazy setting up everything again.
Tested many other things but yeah

>I would recommend avoiding void for now for the lack of users (harder to find information).

Most of the stuff you can find on arch wiki, if not all. Also by using Void you'll learn a very useful skill: using man.

>Which do you use
artix artixlinux.org/
arch got systemd, manjaro+systemdfree arch split, artix came to be
nothing i can think of
arch since like 2010, prior to that lfs, prior to that slackware

90% of the people ITT are on an edgy mcedgerson distro. Just install nigbuntu and get some actual work done.

Mint
Customizable, looks realy nice, great compatibility because it's a fancy debian
Can't think of anything
Ubuntu, Arch, RedHat (Won't miss that one because Grub is still stuck on the hard drive I used for it)

Forgot opponions,
It's a great distro to get shit done and look good

>100% of the people on Jow Forums
ftfy

>It's a great distro to get shit done and look good
That's because it's basically nigbuntu running cinnamon.

>Which do you use
Debian Testing
Making me learn a lot without being a meme distro that still actually works on my desktop. Also comfy.
Support for developer packages. There's always Ubuntu options but I usually have to build my shit from source, which is effort. Considering moving to OpenSUSE because of it.
I have Fedora on my laptop, was my first distro, Debian is my second. As I said I'm considering OpenSUSE on the desktop, for the laptop I'm planning to jump into the meme distros like Gentoo and Void pretty soon.

couldn't install gentoo?

Attached: 3fe.png (600x536, 301K)

>Use
Gentoo (desktop), Mint (laptop), OpenBSD (meme X61 shitter)
>Like
Gentoo is very stable, lots of software, just werks, USE flags are actually helpful. Processor is from 2011 but on Gentoo it feels brand new.
Mint for excellent hardware/software support + not getting in my way since I do most work on laptop, Cinnamon actually feels well integrated and not like its hacked together with inconsistencies everywhere (the Ubuntu spins are guilty of this)
OpenBSD I like philosophically but the hardware and software support is too poor for me to use regularly
>Missing
Gentoo: nothing
Mint: I think Flatpak is a meme, systemd
OpenBSD: hardware + software support
>Else
Tried nearly everything under the sun over the course of a couple months. Boils down to this:
>Gentoo on a desktop and if you have Linux system knowledge so you don't waste too much time
>ANY Debian based system for everything else
>OpenBSD if you think Theo is based, or on a server

Attached: ejE3s-aZ4EkTSkcDCA04_tMrY3O5RdC9ZnOn9gFbbwU.jpg (1600x1097, 417K)

Why specifically use Gentoo over a Debian based system for desktops? If Debian based is the ideal for most situations, why not on a desktop?

Because I like Gentoo. KDE on Gentoo isn't horribly broken OOTB like I experienced with Kubuntu and Debian. I also find USE flags to be genuinely useful, especially on a per-package level

Work Laptop: Ubuntu 18.04 (Gnome 3)
Home Desktop: Manjaro KDE

Kubuntu - Buggy, had to restart plasmashell 2+ times a day.

Xubuntu - Very good once it's running. Can break at start up every once in a while. Power saving doesn't work, I had to use Xscreensaver instead.

Manjaro i3 - Only in a VM for now. I use it about 9 hours a week. I plan to replace my Ubuntu install with this eventually.

im using debian testing with a few pinned unstable packages and its the comfiest ive ever been with linux, i run the same config on all my machines. I use i3 as my de and i havent had anything break on me in 3 years

Manjaro.

>what I like
Painless installation, rolling release but has not that bleeding edge.

>Which do you use
Antergos
>What do you like
Easy access to the AUR repo without needing to waste my time installing Arch
>What's missing
nothing's really missing
>What else did you try
Debian, Fedora, Manjaro, and Gentoo
In all honesty Antergos is a better beginner's distro than Ubuntu because of the access to the AUR repo and the easy installation process

>Which do you use
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Doesn't crash, has snapshots, relatively new software.
Easy to install WiFi drivers. Literally ein kick.
YaST allows even a brainlet to start a server.
Good documentation.
Good support. The only distro, where people on forum had really helped with problem.
You can go to stable version whenever you want. Nothing will break. Tested.
Thumbnails in filepicker in GIMP. Wow.
Toilets on wallpaper, to repel pajeets from computer.
Automatic proprietary broadcom driver installer
SystemD is not the best thing...
- Ubuntu (XFCE, LXDE, works, shitty, wifi drivers are pain to install, first distro)
- Debian (backlight control didn't worked, and wifi was a pain to install)
- Arch (was too difficult to install, instructions are unclear)
- Fedora (pretty good, but I don't like some stability issues there)
- Gentoo (weird system)
- LFS (easier to install than Arch, but installing rip-ems and debs is pain.)
- OpenBSD (shitty hardware support... And not even a Linux)
- Mac OS X (was good, but modern versions are just garbage. 10 kernel panics in 1 month is impossible, shittier than W10. And not Linux as well.)