God yes, finally what we've all been asking for in a PC. I don't want to have to think when I use my personal computer...

God yes, finally what we've all been asking for in a PC. I don't want to have to think when I use my personal computer. I just want to turn off my brain and let the good, trusting folks at Microsoft to do the hard stuff for me.

Attached: Screenshot_20180730-232142~2.png (1080x1320, 511K)

Other urls found in this thread:

computerworld.com/article/3293429/microsoft-windows/with-daas-windows-coming-say-goodbye-to-your-pc-as-you-know-it.html
pastebin.com/Xj1m3kyG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Link to the article

or at least a pastebin

I can't believe I have to do this for OP

computerworld.com/article/3293429/microsoft-windows/with-daas-windows-coming-say-goodbye-to-your-pc-as-you-know-it.html

Attached: 1346163059672.jpg (649x621, 127K)

There’s already a thread about this with link but OP is a snowflake who thinks he needs his own thread. Fag.

you forgot something as well
pastebin.com/Xj1m3kyG

read it thi morning

just saying that Windows is gonna be Desktop as a Service, you get the bulk of the OS installed but you're leasing the OS as opposed to owning it

Ultimately, it's so Microsoft it should have been obvious it was gonna be their endgame

the site works with all scripts disabled so I didn't bother.

I was saying when they released this shit that they were gonna follow Adobe and try to charge a monthly fee for it, and everyone laughed and said that'd never happen. Enterprises will cough up for it since they see IT as a cost center anyway, and they're too locked in to MS shit to credibly switch to Linux. Consumers will probably cough up too, they're already used to paying monthly for just about everything else (phones, netflix, what have you)

In 2025 I'm gonna show some normie my computer and his reactions are going to be "wow, you own a desktop?" and "what, you don't have to pay anything per month for it? How? Are you a hacker?"

DaaS rite wincucks! All ur bob and vegene are belong to me now!

Attached: 35798827.jpg (345x345, 11K)

Implying the ride never ends

I mean, before Adobe, Bill Gates got filthy rich off of licensing

So an opportunity to license millions of machines, monthly, is hard to pass up

I don't really understand how they're going to control a consumer release though, how does Desktop as a Service even work anyways? the cloud service costs would be huge if it's actually running as a cloud OS

Isn’t this just Azure?

Kek

>thinks people will trash their machines
>not simply revert to 7/8.1 or migrate to linux or osx
It's the fucking 'tablets are going to replace pcs' bullshit again

Yeah, fuck that. There's no way I'm paying a fee for windows, let alone a recurring one. If they pull that shit, I'm switching to linux for good.

I'd be surprised if they completely did away with the traditional licensing model. I imagine this will primarily target business/enterprise customers.

>I imagine this will primarily target business/enterprise customers.
But they hate Win10 forced updates the most of all customers. I frequent several financial institutions and they are all running win7 on thinkpads.

Normalfags are too stupid to change their OS. This actually has a chance of taking off. Windows is popular because it comes preinstalled for most users, meaning this will be their "only" option. I hope someone spreads propaganda against this though.
Also, i fucking called it. Saw it coming a mile away the moment microsoft said win10 is their last OS.

I bet normies are gonna swallow this bag of shit.

It isn't running as a cloud OS, any more than current photoshop does its image rendering in the cloud. (it mentions this in the article.) It's just a change in licensing model.

It'd be easy to do this to a consumer release if you had some time, announce that after date X all windows installs on consumer machines have to be on the new monthly-payment licensing model, and that perpetual licenses will no longer be sold. Then do something to forbid the activation of previously-sold licenses on new hardware, unless they switch to the new monthly model. Then wait. They could try and push the stragglers (of which there will be many) but that could be a PR nightmare, GWX sure was.

Empty threat and we both know it. So does Microsoft, which is why they're doing this. If you were willing to install Linux you would have by now.

>Empty threat and we both know it. So does Microsoft, which is why they're doing this. If you were willing to install Linux you would have by now.
This honestly might push linux as a primary choice, but this heavily depends on how things pan out.
No one would want something "as a service", especially not something you own.
Given that, chances are developers are going to try and make linux more user friendly, or at least a tard-proof distro or two.
Its a race both against time though. A viable alternative needs to be out before the public outcry reaches its highest point. Something that won't break, something that would allow gayming, something that's literally windows but not.
No doubt Microsoft is going to try and stop it though, either means foul or not. I definitely plan on switching to linux by the time win7 dies.

Also, who knows, maybe some cracker will find a way to undo this bullshit.

>If you were willing to install Linux you would have by now.
I have. It's on my 3 laptops and my file server. The only thing still running windows is my gaymen rig.

Honestly the main thing I stay on windows for is almost everything I do is windows first, why would I want to have the compatibility nightmare that is linux, along with its fucked help guides to get what I want done and a condescending community that if something isn't right 'well program it yourself'

I would move to linux the moment shit forces me off win 7, I would then sandbox a windows and use it as the secondary os, with linux in the background only used when it needs to be used.

>Normalfags are too stupid to change their OS. This actually has a chance of taking off.

Attached: TheJewsDidThis.jpg (700x876, 308K)

Don't underestimate the power of being a poorfag 4chins user.

>a condescending community that if something isn't right 'well program it yourself'
spoonfeeding people is neither interesting nor rewarding (just the opposite really), so you should never expect open-source devs to cater to it. Nobody does that shit unless they're getting paid, which means you get to pay for the software. And then probably deal with the company you're paying still not wanting to spoonfeed you, since then they can keep more of what they charged you.

If you don't want to be treated like a retard, don't act like a retard.

Git gud

im willing to pay 200$ for an operating system, if linux charged 200$ for a non cunt version of the os and help, I would pay it.

their choice is use windows or buy a tablet, sadly linux isn't a choice for most people.

>Normalfags are too stupid to change their OS.
Fine, people will BUY macshit and second hand devices with windows 7 for excessive prices. OR keep their current windows 10 garbage.

What is aws/azure/digital ocean?

That shit is already exists since last year. the only problem is how do you transmit 60hz or 144hz through internet but i think geoforce now solved this problem

friend of mine is an apple reseller
his business model was literally
>you have a problem like setting up a printer
>bring it to me and I'll do it for you
his argument was he did those steps thousands of times already, you will only do it once.
why should you bother learning how it works?

when I told him how big of a scam this is he said not everyone is a tinkerer.
people want to have an IT department for their private devices. a person they can complain to and then fixes the shit for them.

well if you want that and will pay for it, then you get to pay a monthly fee for Windows. So what's the problem then? If you refuse to pay, you get to do it yourself, and that means learning things and thinking and solving your own problems.

>"as soon as support for windows 7 ends, you HAVE to switch OS!"
ive been using win7 for years without updates enabled, 0 viruses, i know every process running on this machine, stop assuming that once support ends you have to switch OS, there's still millions of people using XP with no issues, it isnt hard if you're not retarded

adobe already does this, like you said
it's not like creative cloud products are actually ran in the cloud

this
it'll take 15 years for win 7 to become unusable for every-day work

he's right though. how many people know how to maintain their car? many don't if they can afford not to.

Good on ya man. If you actually enabled updates, MS probably would've pushed this on Win 7.

Finally!

Attached: IMG.jpg (1200x533, 86K)

>"What's a computer?"

Attached: 1522362563448.png (541x735, 340K)

>It'd be easy to do this to a consumer release
They might do something like windows 10S is free, windows pro is $10/mo. Old licenses can get a year "free", and professional/high end machines come with 6 months free or some such.

True. Common sense is the most important security tool, without it updates and antivirus are useless. Second is network access, being behind a firewall and not being open on public networks. Then comes security updates.

Windows updates are more likely to break your install than they are to prevent a infection.

I'm pretty sure this is business first. And Microsoft have backed down in the past when they've faced backlash and negative press over plans like this.

I was thinking about going to Linux more and more lately.
>Blender works
>Krita rins like dog shit on Win but I keep hearing it's butter-smooth on Linux
>GIMP, well fuck, technically it's functional
>most games that I care about do work on Linux

Are AMD Linux drivers significantly inferior?
I heard Linux also has tiered starage features like the new cool Store Mi that I really enjoy right now.

How's that Wine I keep hearing about? Last time I tried it it was incomprehencible clusterfuck of menus and it didn't work. Did that change?

Saw this coming. Honestly since I don't care about games anymore, I'll probably switch to Linux. Most industry professionals will do, too. Government agencies too. For normies, they will keep migrating to android. Anyway I can't see the billions in third world like India and China switching to paying for OS, it simply won't happen and the idea is fundamentally retarded when android is free.
MS just keeps digging its grave like it's been doing for last 10 years.

>how does Desktop as a Service even work anyways? the cloud service costs would be huge if it's actually running as a cloud OS

No they will simply have an admin control of your PC and automatically manage it entirely/

The passage that struck me the most was this

I never really paused to think about it, but desktop computing really is a very free thing, as in free thought, free expression, free movement (virtually speaking)

You don't realize how precious that is until the idea it can be lost sinks in.

Attached: freedom in computing.png (648x128, 8K)

>admin control of your PC and automatically manage it entirely
EU will fine it into oblivion

I doubt MS can convert existing windows 10 devices into DAAS clients, not without the entire internet shitting on them. They'll have to sell it for a few years as some kind of "security enhanced" edition, and it might turn up in enterprise first.

I wonder if microsoft deliberately leaked the plans to test the waters and see how the industry would react.

Just saw this article and came here. I might actually end up doing. I might install linux. Crazy world.

There's honestly a lot of good things about it. The only issue is they tick all the boxes of the bad things too.

glad I didn't fall for the (((SaaS))) meme

RHEL
t. Linux dev

If you have GCN card, then use open source AMD driver. It's performance is miles ahead of closed-source
There's plenty of programs that do the wine stuff for you, like Lutris. I play most of DX11 games with wine and dxvk without any problem.

>If you were willing to install Linux you would have by now.
I mean I'll do it once Windows 7 stops being a viable platform, but that doesn't seem to be happening very soon. When it does though the writing on the wall is very clear, this is the last Windows operating system that I'm comfortable with running, full stop.

I still find Linux DEs juuuuuuuuuust about inconvenient enough to prefer windows. Hopefully they'll about 5 years to improve before any kind of switch over is forced upon me.

> Hopefully they'll about 5 years to improve before any kind of switch over is forced upon me.
Oh, don't worry user, they'll improve it so much that you won't even recognize it an an operating system! It will do all of the administration and task managing for you right out of the box and you'll never have to worry about all of that pesky "PC" stuff.

Microsoft wants to be Apple 2.0 but worse. I'm not sure if that's possible, but they're trying.

The arrival of DaaS will also be known as the day 80% of the people I know will make the switch and install Gentoo

They aren't getting rid of windows 10. If they did, they would just call their service "windows" instead of "managed desktop". They know they will fail.
Though honestly I'm all for killing windows 10. The world would be a better place if MS stopped shilling it.

Criminally underrated post.

>MS dies
>takes desktops with it
>entire desktop market collapses because it was entirely dependent on MS
>everyone moves to macs and game consoles because it's the only option
>literally no one will consider loonix for even a second
>loonix is killed off when everyone realizes it's just a shitty knock off of macos
>freetards all neck themselves
Can't wait.

Attached: 1504881583350.jpg (480x359, 24K)

I think you misinterpreted me user, i meant Linux and it's environments will have time to improve.

When windows finally go full botnet, that year would finally be the year of the linux desktop.

I cannot wait.

Your life must be hard. Did your father beat you when you were small?

>Paying a subscription for Windows

A shitstorm is a brewin my son. A shitstorm is a brewin.

Attached: 1481297544445.jpg (370x370, 30K)

We're all gonna be fucked in the future

It's not a bad thing in an ideal world, but the problem lies in the fact that its managed by a profit driven corporation that would want nothing more than to have a dumbass userbase, ala hardcore apple fanboys.
Not having to put a shit ton of money into buying CPUs and GPUs and wasting time figuring out what they are is the selling point for normies, while the potentially inexpensive access to much better computation power beacons professionals and the likes.
Its a consumerist checkmate if they pull it off, a perfect trap to get full control over what users do on their PCs.

Which basically means, its going to turn PCs into a heavier weight smartphone. Ridden with garbage poorly optimized "apps", obligatory ads, locked features, etc.

>I have never used a computer for something other than browsing Jow Forums and Facebook

Why even type this out?

>t. Steve jobs (revived)

*knock knock*

Attached: 300px-ReactOS_logo.png (300x166, 50K)

>Are AMD Linux drivers significantly inferior?
For a very long time, they were. Just recently AMD pulled a complete fucking 180 and their drivers are phenomenal now--I -think- they're pretty much on par with the Nvidia drivers in terms of performance (or close, at least), and as a whole AMD graphics just work a helluva lot better on Linux (and have better compatibility/features in general) than Nvidia does these days.

1.0 ready by 2050

They are making it real hard for me to stop using win7.

I used to hate KDE but I've gotten used to it. It's the most stable and modern one. MATE would be great if applets didn't break for no reason. LXDE is unusable. XFCE is okay. GNOME3 is dogshit and Unity is basically just a wannabe MacOS desktop.

KDE is the closest thing to Windows there is.

I tried Ubuntu/Gnome a few months ago and what really put me off of something simple as adjusting the scroll speed for a mouse wheel wasn't a some settings option, it had to be adjusted in terminal.

What really puts me off is the "if it works for me" designs philosophy

>ms thinks retards are as dependent of windows as they are of office
>ms is going to finally kill themselves with this move
fucking lmao

Bullshit. That's one of the options in the setting, at least in XFCE.

So, what exactly would happen if windows wasn't available for the majority of consumers? What would happen to PCs?

>FreeDOS

kek

>what exactly would happen if windows wasn't available for the majority of consumers?
Normies barely own computers anymore, they have smartphones and tablets. The year of the Linux desktop has already come, we're pretty much the last computer consumers.

As for companies, well many of them still run XP, while the most hipstery ones have Macs and iPads.

I genuinely think most people stopped caring about Windows.

he isnt using xfce, lern2read

I know how to read. I meant that I only have experience with XFCE and mouse and keyboard settings had all these options.

Reply to this post only if you never, ever paid a cent for Windows and thus not responsible for keeping that abortion of company afloat.

What now, cunt?

Be proud)

In order for DaaS to actually take off, people will need to actually buy it, which they won't. Normies don't pay for Windows directly. They never have, and they never will. They buy a computer with Windows pre-installed. If Windows is going to stop working because they didn't pay a monthly subscription fee, they're not going to buy that laptop.

Since normies are not going to switch from Windows 10 to this crap, Microsoft will have to continue to offer Windows 10 as is. Incidentally, I also expect Windows 10S to fail because I have yet to meet a single person who uses the Windows store for anything.

Tbh, except for games android is starting to be usable. As zoomers grow up they'll develop more stuff for their machines of choice.
For coding in more complex languages linux would be fine. Without Windows some of the programming languages will be useless anyways.

Unless ms will hurry up with arm version available to customers (including free installation) they're going down within a decade. Zoomers will change computing just like boomers did with the quake 1&2 and their windows gaming machines.

>Normies barely own computers anymore, they have smartphones and tablets. The year of the Linux desktop has already come, we're pretty much the last computer consumers.
>As for companies, well many of them still run XP, while the most hipstery ones have Macs and iPads.

All russian state institutions including hospitals are currently using Open Suze.
They made an easy to use interface that suits their needs without any need to know how the OS works. Kinda like the ATMs running on windows, same thing just not on Windows.

The only thing that linux lacks is a normie-friendly GUI-only approach. Allow a user do mundane tasks without ever seeing the terminal and they will love it like they love macOS.

Just hide the fucking text from the screen and make all pretty buttons with pictures, that's not too hard to do.

>Normies barely own computers anymore, they have smartphones and tablets.
You don't do work on a smartphone or tablet. Very few people actually use tablets for office shit.

By 2021 I'll be 25 and too old for video games so I'll have literally no reason to use windows instead of Linux.

>buy pre installed windows S (or is it Windos N?)
>You can only download shit from MS store, cant install your own soft
>Yo, goy, it seems you wanted to install some software, we would allow that for a humble fee.

May work in burgerland, will get punished in EU. Not even worth trying in pajeetland/china.

>Very few people actually use tablets for office shit.

>own
vs
>use at work

That's a huge difference. Normies can do and actually do their banking, shopping, email answering, tickets reserving and appointments on tablets and phones.
Normies don't make excel sheets at home. And still, android office software is sufficient for writing stuff that normies can.

No one will use it though. Plenty of people have hobbies that need some program or another that probably isn't available in the store because it was written by Joe Schmo, and he distributes it as a plain .exe.

>And still, android office software is sufficient for writing stuff that normies can.
Is it sufficient? Yes. Do they use it? No. They use Word. Most people I know have a laptop. A ton of those people have Word on it, often a pirated copy.

>will get punished in EU
lets see your OS software companies, yuropoor

90% of worthwhile games run on linux because emulators. Firaxis games run on linux. The only reason to care about muh windows is because of generic AAA thrash which gets forgotten in a month.

BTW, why people don't use openoffice?
They really need some obscure functionality unique to Word that much?

he told me this about 10 years ago.
not saying he was wrong, just never looked at it that way.
also, just because there are some people who do not want to tinker, doesn't mean nobody does.

this is why OS shills sound so stupid to other users. everyone wants something different from their devices.
Linux will always be shit for some because when it breaks you're expected to fix it yourself.
Apple will always be retarded to others because being locked in takes away value from what you bought.
Microsoft tried to strike a balance, but it just opened up ways for actual scammers to take advantage of idiots, so now they lock it down more and more.

Attached: bad recursion brb.jpg (700x856, 120K)