Why do people hate updates?

Why do people hate updates?

Attached: 14310403875081.jpg (286x201, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3spnGnavWFg
youtube.com/watch?v=3spnGnavWFg
youtube.com/watch?v=sxXs0Yy5-0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If it works, it doesn't need an update that breaks it.

1. Furries can't make good updates.
2. Capitalism ensures that software projects eventually stop serving the user.

"Our private policy has been updated"

they make my phone slow and unusable

>introducing (((online features)))

I hate WINDOWS updates because it takes fucking forever to download even if you have fast internet, forever to install and constant restarts. Least with linux i can download as fast as my speeds allow me and the install is just as fast and i even get the choice to restart or not. Cant comment on mac.

>1. Furries can't make good updates.
Most likely true, considering most developers these days are furries.

Because software testing before actually deploying is a thing. A good thing. A thing everyone should do a lot more.

Because it ruins their uptime stats.

>updates are only for bugfixes

I actually remember, maybe 7 years ago i was actually excited for updates. Windows, OS X, iOS, Android. They added useful new features and maybe even made it faster. Since iOS 7/OS X 10.10/Windows 10/Android 6 or so the updates just consisted of useless shit, 1000th redesign that made it look worse and maybe 1 semi-useful feature and slowed it down so you'd buy a new device

Because you never know what's going to get fucked up next.

Then what are they for, brainac. Features? Add those in the first version.

A PROGRAM IS A FINISHED PRODUCT, NOT SOME KIND OF A CHEAP LEGO SET

The only acceptable update is for fixing zero day exploits. Other than that, it's pure devs being lazy and nothing more.

This

Updates aren't always for the best or they just break your system. I might be a baby bitch but I can't handle Arch getting screwy, not worth my time, so I stick to Mangina.

You have no idea what you are talking about. If anything, updates for Windows XP and 7 were completely unnoticeable to a casual user.
Meanwhile, Windows 10 adds new functionality regularly.

I miss the early days of Android, it changed so much so fast.

.t shitter who has never made anything in his life.

I meant major updates

1. false
2. true

This was because you were a fucking child. You still are.

A program is not a finished product. Even earlier versions of Windows still had plenty of bug fixes, and if there was any issue major enough (nowadays would just get patched OTA), you would literally have to send the fucking box back. Can you imagine that shit? No of course not, you're a child.

They introduce bugs and remove features.

Stop using iOS.

Because they are a requirement that eventually breaks whatever system you have. It gives them an excuse to put out an unfinished product and you never, ever know what the finished product is, because at some point it seems to be working perfectly fine and you're still required to update something. And of course these systems are developed in a way that needs constant, non-stop protection.

Because the user is the tester now and people just want shit to work, or do it how they've always done it.

1. True
2. False

On Windows it's a pain in the ass and always crops up at the most inopportune time. On linux I can invoke updates whenever you want, and almost always don't have to worry about mandatory security fixes that require multiple restarts like you do on Windows.
I'm starting to realize that Windows is only needed for muh games. Anyone who uses it for any reason other than that is braindead.

1. True.
2. Also true.

Nobody hates bug fixes.
Nobody hates (proper) feature introductions.
Everyone hates removing functionality.
UI updates almost always remove functionality.

1.True
2.(You)

This. Just look at the latest steam UI update and the backlash that's created... Not only did they try make a discord clone and fail hard... They managed to remove functionality as well...

>Updates back then
>We fix issues
>Updates now
>We fuck your shit up, and issues aren't fixed

Updates aren't a bad thing dummy.
However most of the time devs aren't updating shit, they're just changing it (typically for the worse) while breaking or outright removing features and adding useless ones.
Win10 is a prime example, with an added bonus of releasing botched updates (all versions did, to be fair).

> If anything, updates for Windows XP and 7 were completely unnoticeable to a casual user
Windows XP SP3 added HD-DVD support.

youtu.be/3spnGnavWFg

Because the people pushing them don't take responsibility for the usability of the systems.
They don't work hard enough to garauntee there's no breaking changes.
There's this example. It's incredible how they lead despite all their flaws.

>technology board
>posts politics

Attached: IMG_4027.jpg (592x444, 95K)

>technology board
>posts in english and not binary

I don't, but I hate when they are forced on me and I can't control when to install them

I don't hate updates. I hate not having control over updates.
>oh you're in the middle of something important right now? Would be a shame if I restarted to update.

Technology does not exist in a vacuum, you dumb nigger.

what, i love waiting an hour for the latest feature update to install itself. best idea ever.

Because updates often:
- Have no complete changelog
- Have extra bugs, to the point of breaking a install
- Add more bloat for no reason
- Add ads, popups for crap features or spying
- Removes features I use

There's plenty of software that had a "peak version" where it was the best. eg utorrent 2.2.1 and windows 7

Because a program can be "complete" it doesn't need to aggregate gimmicks for all of eternity.

Most devs are trashes and don't know how to handle q/a and release processes.

Windows update literally bricked my PC. At least with Linux I can choose what and when I want to update

youtube.com/watch?v=3spnGnavWFg

All my friends said that they disabled Windows update because it broke their install back when 98, XP, Vista and 7 were new. I never had any problems with Windows updates but were it breaking installs actually a thing or were they filled with malware or just stupid?

pacman -Syu

original video
youtube.com/watch?v=sxXs0Yy5-0Y

>implying

Most unrooted androids will suffer the same fatr unfortunately.

Stop buying low-end phones.
>ios is making my phone slow (let alone the battery degradation and sudden shutdown issues)
>not the bloated app updates

>go to bed
>bill gates visits me in my sleep to sprinkle update dust on my laptop
>wake up to computer and literally everything I had open on it closed
>have to wait 2 hours for updates to install anyways
>have to manually fix shit I have that is known to be broken by windows updates
>have to reconfigure settings and registry that windows autoresets for you during the update
>have to uninstall candy crush again
>have to fix my drivers again
Shit like this makes me want to switch to LTSB

>He wastes money running electronics when he isn't using them.

thx

Oh no, I can't afford $10 a year!? God help me

If code works 100% for a user and you change it the best case scenario is it keeps working 100%. The worst case scenario is it breaks and you're responsible. Never change code that is 100% working for a user.

>he can't afford another kilowatt-hour per day