Are new thinkpads still quality?

Or is it Chink trash that only survives off of its old reputation? I'm considering a new t480, but I'm very hesitant.

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-t480-hero.png (725x515, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/nasa.html
panasonic.jp/cns/pc/index.html
reddit.com/
lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-a-series/ThinkPad-A485/p/22TP2TAA485
notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-MSI-WT72-vs-Lenovo-ThinkPad-P70-vs-HP-ZBook-17-G2.152280.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just buy a MacBook.

ffs NO. Why the fuck would I ever buy an apple product? Never post here again.

no lol they are Lenovo garbage now

just buy a macbook

There's a reason why /tpg/ doesn't recommend new thinkpads

nasa started sending up hp zbooks to the iss instead of thinkpads

not necessarily damning evidence against chinkpads but i'd say it's certainly a sign

You sound like a newfag, so I'll be the one to let you know, People don't actually hate macbooks here, even though they are a little bit pricey.
Don't get a new thinkpad.

Them new zbooks are fucking nice

It just werks bro

>apple shills
GET OUT OF MY THREAD REEEEEEEEEEEE

THE NEWEST MACBOOK IS LITERALLY SLOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS GEN BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE YOU SHEEP JUST EAT WHATEVER SHIT STEVE JOBS DEFECATES INTO YOUR OPEN SALIVATING MOUTHS

cringe

Thank you for this descriptive information

The new ones are shitty compared to the old ones, but are nice compared to other modern laptops.

Now that Toshiba stopped manufacturing PCs, my next one probably wld be a Dell.

Lenovo is just a meme. CSG...

The latitude line of recent years seems somewhat promising. Might be able to find a good refurb deal on one with an i5

>HP Elitebook
>Toolless access to ALL slots for RAM
>Toolless cradle-less hard drive access
>Magnesium bottom plate
>Magnesium roll cage
>Easily serviceable
>Usable screens

Why the fuck would anyone buy a ThinkPad old or new when superior business laptops exist for cheaper?

Attached: 1510158439295.png (616x682, 585K)

>HP
LOOOOL

>no middle mouse button
>crappy looking design

blow it out your ass you meme loving fuck

www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/nasa.html

Press the pointer.

forget the brand/logo meme. Buy the machine that's most aesthetically pleasant to look at. You're going to be looking at it 8+ hours a day for 5+ years.

>5+ years.
found the poorfag. there is no way you only upgrade every 5 years. neet?

My phone is already 4 years old and I have no plans to upgrade it, my laptop will last even longer.

>People don't actually hate macbooks here
No, but I do. Apple is the most normie product there is.

>not buying things to last
enjoy wasting your money on things that you actually don't need, need, nerd. I bet you can't even keep a relationship for 5+ years as well

>but are nice compared to other modern laptops.
Well that's the thing man. I need something quality. Something that's nice to type on.
Elitebooks look nice desu. Pretty pricey, but I was leaning that way.

I have a MacBook pro from 2013 and it is still one of the best machines I could ask for out of anything else on the market today

Buy apple, buy your hardware to last

> People don't actually hate macbooks here

agree that the hate is irrational, but who actually buys a macbook on Jow Forums?

>overpriced
>implementing gimmicks (touchbar)
>removes USB ports
>not user serviceable
>no physical buttons on trackpad (despite its smooth feeling)

don't be ridiculous user. Of course apple products are good for people who just want something that will work fast and with little user input. I am not at all implying that apple product users are stupid, but it should be safe to say that the ones using macs are not the people who want to take them apart themselves to add in an SSD, change ram, and repaste the CPU

however, the fat nerds here are not the yuppies who use macs

Their pricing really went to oblivion. In the UK, it used be £999 for a new Macbook. Now it's like £1,400 for a 13".

And the machines have gotten worse.

stop

>fat nerds
Most of Jow Forums is skinny.

>no physical buttons on trackpad
This is a good thing though.

new lenovos arent the tanks they were, but are still good laptops, got a used x260 in mint condition for £350, very happy with it

Attached: onehappyboi.png (500x750, 729K)

Has anyone here had experience with getting a newer thinkpad refurbished off lenovo outlet?

Hardware advancements have plateaued in recent years, there's no reason a well chosen laptop today won't still be plenty usable 5 years from now aside maybe from video games in which case you should be using a desktop anyway which will both be more powerful and cheaper than a ""gaming"" laptop. By well chosen I mean something durable that's easy to get parts for especially replacement batteries, so basically any business oriented laptop such as Thinkpad or Elitebook. Of course this assumes you treat your shit with some respect so it doesn't have physical hardware failure beyond reasonable repair.

Yeah I definitely have to upgrade my laptop every 3 years to run linux
Retard

They're still okay. Maybe not ahead of the pack like they used to be, but they're not bad either.

That reason is partially because used thinkpads just have such good value.

Only the P series are old Thinkpad tier.
T480 is ok, still lacks dedicated volume buttons.
X280 is gimped with only one DIMM slot.
A series are ok except for the houesfire CPUs, getting fixed with Ryzen.

>There's a reason why /tpg/ doesn't recommend new thinkpads
As a /tpg/fag the real answer is honestly that older thinkpads are so much fucking cheaper for fairly close processing power (thank the ULV meme for that)

If you have the cash to splash then the new ones are not bad laptops compared to other modern ones

>Well that's the thing man. I need something quality. Something that's nice to type on.
The new thinkpad keyboards are still the top fucking tier of laptop keyboards
The main reason being that the keycaps curve inward, just like a regular keyboard, and unlike every other current laptop's flat-ass shallow keys

The main reason people advocate the older Thinkpad keyboard over the newer one is the 7 row layout, but as far as typing quality they're both pretty much equal

Imagine being such a massive newfag that you feel the need to call others newfags and believe people here don't hate apple unironically.

It's chink trash and gotten worse in recent years, have a look into Panasonic LV series or HP Zbook if you want a well built machine.

panasonic.jp/cns/pc/index.html

I've had over 15 thinkpad models over last 5 years. (a bit of addiction). In my opinion new models are better, but that's an unpopular one.

Build quality in recent (*440 and onwards) is better then on 220ies, but still not X61 or T40 levels. They are a LOT lighter now and battery lasts forever, especially with 72Wh ones (we are talking 24h+ on light use in x260). They are not as expandible as they used to be, especially thin and lights like carbons and X series, soldered ram wise. Messing in them is still easy, more screws to remove the bottom cover though.

They new keyboards are great, but it's still a LiteOn lottery. Backlight is way superior when compared to the think light, feel is real good with long travel and tactile feedback and AccuType key profile is great. Lack of 6th cow is a shame, but not a huge deal.

New displays are a lot better, but still mediocre when compared to today's competition. No comparison with "the dark ages", fuck TN and anything under FHD.

Currently I have a 4th gen X1 Carbon, so far the best model I've owned. Great for mobility, battery lasts 8 hours easy and I've sprung for an LTE modem, which is great. Soldered ram is a shame, but other than that it's an amazing daily carry.

im too scared to 'upgrade' from my old t420 keyboard

HP + Linux = problems

Dell, Apple and Lenovo laptops usually have better Loonix support.

I have a yoga 260 7th gen cpu i thinl

power button dose not work, have installed win7/win10 many different drivers.

common problem. fuck lenovo

There's going to be an AMD based thinkpad going to be released soon. Do you guys think it's going to be decent?

T series and other expensive ones are still pretty good, but you massively overpay for the brand.
Get a Dell Latitude, HP Elitebook or something.

A485 is better

Well, either go to a brick and mortat that carries them and check it out or buy a fucked replacement keyboard for 10$.

Attached: IMG_20180801_122646.jpg (4032x3024, 3.34M)

Enormous ugly piece of shit.

Thoughts on the ryzen thinkpad models?

Attached: 1524004243630.png (929x768, 55K)

Depends. Louis shilled P50, you can watch his video and the follow-up video. Personally, I don't believe anything with such bad thermals as ultrabook-ish T-laptops are worth it.

Wouldn't call this bad, 15C over ambient over a normal load

Attached: Capture.png (660x525, 37K)

T480 owner here, fucking excellent but you can probably get something almost as good for much cheaper

> normal load
So idle.

Got T480s and I agree, new thinkpads are solid all around except for value which will no doubt come down with time.

A485 and A285 will be great. GREAT!

>caring about the majority opinion
There's a website for people like you, I think you might enjoy it
reddit.com/

I have a T450s and am quite satisfied with it. It isn't what thinkpad used to be to the fullest which bothers me, but the keyboard is still the best, build quality is the same as it ever was , it's waterproof and dustproof as always and it still has all the ports as the old ones had (at least mine does). It does miss some good features but they did add some nice things which previous models lacked
>backlit keyboard
>dual battery

If you're looking for a thinkpad experience but want newer specs thinkpad is still the way to go. No Dell or HP laptop will ever come close to the build quality of Tihnkpads and just please don't buy macs. They've proven time and time to be useless crap
>but it just werks
it doesn't even do that properly. Useless shit

Attached: purecomfines .jpg (720x960, 18K)

>I don't believe anything with such bad thermals as ultrabook-ish T-laptops are worth it.
WTF is up with this 'muh thinnest, muh lightest' meme? It's like EVERY fucking manufacturer is making this claim and I don't understand the fucking appeal. They must think consumers are sheep. Just give me a well built machine, fags.

it's called technological progression faggot. Build quality has increased over the years allowing us to build thinner lighter laptops that are just as sturdy. Jus because your backwards brain believes that thick must be equal to good only means you're retarded

Attached: Demonstration(1).webm (640x640, 2.16M)

>No Dell or HP laptop will ever come close to the build quality
Well what's with the split of people claiming it's chink garbage then? Is it just nostalgia? "Back in my day, we had the IBM thinkpads and they were the best" type shit?

This. The whole "new thinkpads have bad keyboards" thing is a meme.

They don't make em like they used to.

Attached: that20yearoldboomer.jpg (380x349, 35K)

>sacrificed cooling is technological progression

Attached: 18563736474.jpg (600x900, 39K)

Thicc laptops are more serviceable. Thinner laptops are not about "technological progression" and "innovation" but about making it more difficult for you to upgrade and repair your machines so you have to pay for expensive warranties.

It's Jow Forums being Jow Forums. Don't forget this is a place where people force the idea USB Flash drivers should be called "Zip Disquette", Void Linux, buying 15 year old laptops and even that all technology should be destroyed and abolished. It's just edgy memes, when x220 rolled out people criticized it for not being the "real" thinkpad experience and just a chink shit. Now it's regarded as the best one to ever roll out
>inb4 faggots claiming only IBM thinkpads were worhty
eat a dick

>that20yearoldboomer
IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE 30 YOU FRIGGIN' ZOOMER

I'm eager to get my T540. Any recommendations on what I should do with it first?

kek

I owned both x220 and T450s. The newer model never overheats no matter how much I stress it while the x220 was always a hot potato. Don't you know that the xx40 series introduced ne better cooling ? Brainlet

>i just loved when transistors used to be as big as a finger. That's what sturdiness used to be, that's what build quality used to be
>but resizing them allowed us to build faster and better CPUs
>ARE YOU SAYING THAT SACRIFICED COOLING IS TECHNOLOGICAL PROGRESSION ???

I was referring to the 'ultra-light' meme in general. Do you know when the Ryzen thinkpads will be out?

that's a very original thought

When is this shit coming out bronameth?

Don't judge a product by how "normie" it is, judge how how well it functions and protects your freedoms. Apple products are overpriced, but IMO this is a lesser evil than Chrome OS and Windows 10, which sell out your privacy and fundamentally undermine your ownership of the product.

Who the fuck gives a fuck about what a fake space company promotes in they "space travels". 110% sure you are amurrican.
Inb4 >go back to Jow Forums
Yea yea, smart enough to use a computer but so stupid you cant see some stupid lies. Blame apple for that. Bye bye

Attached: 8B5.jpg (747x1075, 172K)

Waste of trips.

Computers that get shipped to space need to be extremely reliable and well built because every pound of cargo matters and is expansive as fuck to ship. They can't afford to waste space and time ferrying new computers and replacement parts back and forth.

If you don't see this as a testament to the quality of the product HP made, you're a fucking retard that doesn't know wtf he's talking about. Being Jow Forums should be the least of your concerns.

notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-MSI-WT72-vs-Lenovo-ThinkPad-P70-vs-HP-ZBook-17-G2.152280.0.html

Trump told them to use HP so that Space Force isn't sabotaged by Chinese

If you think NASA buys computers based on commercial reviews and not on how they perform for the specific tasks at hand you're even more retarded than I thought.

That Thinkpad doesn't even have VGA out, that alone would disqualify it considering the amount of legacy hardware onboard the ISS.

Heh.

The thiccc boi t480 is quality. Don't get the slim version.

This just confirmed what I was thinking, that the Thinkpad still is the best laptop.

2015 i7 macbook pros are goat and better than any lenovo product

I bought a t450s a few years ago and it's real fucked up, can't recommend it. Maybe I just got a bad one or something

Displayport to VGA adapter would work.

source? I was just about to press the buy button then I saw you're comment.

tell that to my x240. Have 2 dead acers somewhere.

The point of laptops is being able to carry it with you.
Being thinner and lighter is very important, more important than being able to open it and fix it yourself.

They made the machines ultrabook style with processors that can't effectively cooled with the limited thermal assembly, removed all the ports, jacked everything up to pro-tier prices...

Anybody who bought an MBP 2016 and beyond is really hurting from Apple's decision making. Either you overpaid for the hardware power that you're not going to use (Macbook Air hasn't been updated in forever, new Macbook is even worse with the Core m3) or you bought "Pro" hardware with no ports and keyboards that fail if a single piece of dust gets under the keycap.

It's laughable.

>I can't carry a 4lb laptop

Attached: ra,unisex_tshirt,x2200,fafafa ca443f4786,front-c,392,146,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.jpg (750x1000, 65K)

I will let you in on a secret. There's a lot of expensive laptops that just werk and are very reliable. You could just choose at random as there's no single 'best' one, or you could accept a very nice donation for your organisation combined with a little something for a few key people deciding these things.

it's been chink trash for 10 fucking years dude

last decent models were x00 line, x200 was good and so was t400

everything since then is absolute garbage, dont let the chinkpad cultists on this board convince you otherwise. legit a 300 dollar acer piece of shit has the same or better quality than chinkshits

I know you memefags don't go out of your rooms that much, but for people that spend their entire days outside and need to carry their laptops with them all the fucking time, every little bit of weight matters a lot.

thats the middle mouse button? huh i never knew that

I agree with you, just saying that comercially Thinkpads are far better than HPs. NASA uses what's compatible and it was the reason they used thinkpads in the first place - they were very compatible with the equipment they had at the time. Tey weren't using any modern models after 2010 and only now had to change to something because their machines were old. They didn;t choose thinkpads because thinkpad droped many ports ISS needs.

For all work purposes nothing even matches thinkpad even after they started downgrading it

Attached: csm_Thinkpad_T460_06_ppt0_47eb6c2917.jpg (1920x1147, 334K)

The price thing is the biggest issue. They're all well over £1k at this point. You know it's fucked when the iMac is the economic option.

On another note, T540P being delivered Friday. Feels good.

Don't like the XX40 series because the trackpads are abysmal and the trackpoints lack dedicated buttons. If you're using them with an external mouse, fine machines.

I want one because they look sexy desu

I got an L380, which is a budget laptop, but even it is well built. Zero problems with it. Actual T line is probably better.

Well I just found out about the A485, so I'll probably try and hold out for that. It's been released in Japan, but no date or pricing for NA yet.