Reminder to format your USB thumb jump drive with UDF for maximum interoperability and freedom, not exFAT

Reminder to format your USB thumb jump drive with UDF for maximum interoperability and freedom, not exFAT.

Attached: kingston-DataTraveler-elite-g2-770.jpg (770x577, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/JElchison/format-udf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

im going to format it to ntfs and there's nothing you can do about it

>jump drive

>UDF
The "interoperability" you write about is broken as fuck if you actually swap between Linux, Mac and Windows a lot. Go with FAT32, you can always split larger files.
A thread died for this """reminder""".

you mean fat32

exFAT works decently on GNU/Linux, but if you want freedom just completely drop intercompability with Windows/macOS and use F2FS

>if you actually swap between Linux, Mac and Windows
It's possible with a non-standard MBR
github.com/JElchison/format-udf
^ This formats UDF in a way that works on macOS, Linux and Windows

>exFAT works decently on GNU/Linux
Yes, but Microsoft could sue GNU/Linux distributions at any time. exFAT is also on the list of Android-killer patents. We should use a file system that's not encumbered by patents.

>fat32
2 GB file size limit

Ext4

Isn't that read only?

Winner. This is the closest to a universal format we have apart from data loss bait like FAT32 and exFAT.

Gee bill
How comes microsoft lets you have two master file tables?

F2FS is even slower than ext4

This, but without journal. or ext2. Should work perfectly.

It's CoW for all transactions so even if the flash doesn't mediate its own write balancing you're covered, EXT optimizes for contiguous writes and will harm unaware media a little more like cheapo USBs but is better for spinning disk.

f2fs also combines redundant r/w operations to reduce flash wear, adding a small penalty, but squeezing life out of flash like fruit under a steam roller.

>USB thumb jump drive

I'm using HFS+ and it just works.

>2018
>not ntfs formatting your usb stick
OP is fucking fag

>not just using superior apfs

>plug USB in to my set-top box
>won't recognise exFAT or UDF
>FAT32 won't allow files big enough for my movies
>NTFS is the only viable option
It is what it is.

F2FS is nice for gnu/linux, but most distros dont come with the ability to create a new f2fs partition out of the box. so i just use ext4 or ntfs

pic unrelated

Attached: 1533080783794.jpg (316x350, 16K)

i just use btrfs because i don't use macos/windows

>not just splitting files larger than 4gb

Attached: 1319048488759.jpg (280x412, 15K)