Are trackpoints better than touchpads in any way?

Are trackpoints better than touchpads in any way?

Attached: 1503290936642.jpg (500x334, 24K)

Trackpoints are superior if you dont want to leave your fingers off the keys for example if you want to quickly write long essays with the optonal curser movement. With touchpads you have to take fingers of their original position for a 10 finger writing style.

Certainly better than most, definitely better than thinkpad trackpads.

trackpoints help you learn how to finger a girl's clit

girlfriend asked me how i knew what I was doing so well and I literally pointed over to my thinkpad lol

They dont require you to move your hand much in order to move the cursor. Also I find trackpads in general to be awkward and unreliable.

>trackpoints are better than touchpads in every way
ftfy
Less finger movement, right on home row, better scrolling, easier for when you need to move/scroll a very long distance fast.

The fact that you don't have to take your fingers off the home row is really the only objective bonus. Everything else comes down to personal preference. I have a Macbook Air and a Thinkpad W520, I still prefer the Trackpoint to the Macbook Trackpad, but really both are perfectly usable and demonstrably inferior to a mouse.

It appears trackpoints have some benefits over trackpads. Why don't more laptops have them? They can't cost that much right?

They are god-tier in situations where you have limited space, such as on airplanes.

Because most laptops attempt to be stylish and sacrafice functionality to become signs of social status.

Yeah that makes sense. Status leds are probably dirt cheap too but laptops still forgo them.

A useless skill for Jow Forums unfortunately.

At least it's pretty useless for me...

actual mouse >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> touchscreen > trackpoint >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> trackpad

I've been using my X230 trackpoint for a couple years and while it's way better than most Window's trackpads of old that don't use precision drivers, it's still a little more finicky and less efficient than MacBook trackpads, reducing the benefit of not removing your hands from the keyboard.

>touchscreen
nigger what
mouse > trackpoint > trackpad > steaming indian shit > anything touch

we'll all gonna make it bruh
someday

This.
The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display's touchpad is simply the greatest human-technology interface humanity has ever designed.

i hope not
3dpd a shit

imagine if we got laptop with mini trackballs. It will never happen,though.

They generally give a laptop the appearance of being old fashioned in the eyes of the general consumer. Even though the first laptops had the analog equivalent of a trackpad, and the trackpoint was just a Thinkpad thing

Old ones did have trackballs though.

Attached: Powerbook_100_pose.jpg (1536x1420, 491K)

I haven't used mine in forever
the dedicated buttons above the trackpad have gotten loads of use though

You don't have to worry about shitty palm detection software.

Eh, I do those things totally differently.

trackballs are shit

I use the nipple trackpoint on site while wearing gloves, a situation where the trackpad is useless.

Mac touchpad > Trackpoint > other touchpads

Touchpads are extreme cancer and a huge pain in the ass to use. Trackpoints are far more user friendly. Obviously way worse than a mouse, but a huge step up from touchpad bullshit.

We just need this with modern hardware and a bigger screen. Looks like you could fit a low profile mech keyboard in there too.

I swear I've seen exactly that done on the higher tiers of professional equipment but I don't have a picture right now. Basically 20" behemoths with a mech keyboard and a ball besides it.

because if they do it, most of them fail. i have to use a fujitsu battleship at work and they have a trackpoint, but it's shitty to use and you have to use the trackpad to klick, so it's really stupid.

I guess for typing without taking fingers off the keyboard, I only experienced one briefly on cousin's x1 carbon. I still missed ability of trackpad to zoom, slide, drag and click but last ones are a lot due to crappy thinkpads trackpad vs mine on macbook pro. Working with media a good trackpad will win (but there are not many) but for pure texting if you need speed and use lots of shortcuts I guess trackpoint would win.

this, touchscreen was made for monkeys and subhumans millenials that get scared when seeing how many keys a keyboard has

how do i clean the trackpoint?

Pros:
>Better precision for small things
>Can move infinitely without re-positioning
>Better for dragging things thanks to the above + buttons
>Doesn't disrupt keyboard hand placement
>Further away from you, good for ergonomics in cramped situations

Cons:
Trackpad has to be a bit smaller

I use both depending on what's more comfortable.

Take it off and wash in sink. Or get a new one, they are very cheap

I just ignore mine. I don't see the point of it.

>It's not in an awkward position nor is it in way while typing
>you don't have to lift your hand up when moving

yes, but it's not apparent until you use one for a while
it just sort of grows on you and after a week or so you start hating touchpads with a passion

IBM patented the Trackpoint IV which uses a strain gauge. All the other implementations are basically joysticks which move based on angle, not force. That's why all non Thinkpad trackpoints suck.

General browsing: precision touchpad
If you’re typing something and need to move the cursor: trackpoint

I also found out that the trackpoint is even better than using a mouse for video editing.