/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite
lite.qwant.com

redirect anons making their own threads with >previous

Attached: 1523248804787s.jpg (250x248, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate
microcenter.com/product/502941/860-evo-500gb-mlc-v-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive
amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0A/dp/B073SBZ8YH?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=96e80702963811e89fb64a71662b62f70INT
nucblog.net/2018/05/gemini-lake-pentium-nuc-review-nuc7pjyh-games-linux-htpc/
stackoverflow.com/a/2736612
harelba.github.io/q/)
github.com/dinedal/textql)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is this any good for a $850 budget?
pcpartpicker.com/list/

>plug usb in
>it registers but loads for forever when i try to open the files
Why's it doing that
it was working literally two hours ago

How important is having G-sync when buying display for gaming really? Is it an advantage or disadvantage in competitive gaming I heard it add some input lag?

Smoothness is important to me and I'm sensitive to screen tearing so on paper it looks great. How is it really anyone here using G-sync share your experience? I'm not sure if I should shell out an extra $200 just to have it.

Attached: gsync.png (340x190, 22K)

Anyone?

It's a nice feature to have however I play non competitive games only.
Do you have the graphics horsepower to push over 60fps?

Is there a fork of firefox without quantum that supports web extensions?

Asked on the old thread by accident:

Is there any way to know and get evidence that my roommate is throttling the internet? Ever since he moved in it's been working like shit.

Why does it take time to erase files from a backup drive?

All it should do is tell the drive "hey, you can overwrite whatever is already written here"

Attached: time.png (449x287, 9K)

Hello /sqt/, my PC has been shutting down without warning today. It started with my monitor going black (audio like music or voice chat still work and I was able to hear an error sound). Whenever I try to reboot I can see my fans/mouse turning on, but then immediately shutting down. After a few tries, it started working again but shut off after 5 minutes or so. Windows boots fine so I don’t think it’s the drive, and I didn’t see anything in event logs about a driver conflict.
Assuming this is a mobo or a PSU issue, how would I go about testing that?

How is gsync performance vs turned off?

I only have GTX1070 and i7-7700HQ I generally get 100-120 fps in stuff like PUBG. Is it worth it?

Easiest way to add 1 video to the beginning of a video, and 1 video to the end of that video? ffmpeg or something.

For reference, I use this on Windows to merge 2 .m2ts into 1:
>copy /b *.m2ts video.m2ts
but I can't use it here because how do I add one at the beginning?

trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate

Uhm, I'll answer myself:

>copy /b "Opening.*" + "S01E01.*" + "Ending.*" "S01E01 new.*"

That's how. Now the problem is how do I refer to "S01E01.*" in a more generic way, so I can use this script without having to modify S0XE0X every time. These folders are always just those 3 files by the way.

My new problem would remain with this method, right?

Is there a code editor which looks as good as Atom without being such a memory hog?

>your room mate is throttling your internet
1 hes a piece of shit
2 he could just be using all of your internet, how fast is your internet.

It's shitty german internet that doesn't exceed 10MBs. I honestly want to face him straight up but without proof I'll just look like an autistic fuck who's having a fit.

Does anyone know where to find a taller stand for the Acer GN246HL? The one it comes with I've had for years, and it sucks having to crane my neck down slightly constantly.

Will pine sol kill mold? I had to move a large pile of dishes that'd been sitting on my counter for weeks and was rather dismayed to find a large mold patch sitting under it. Some pine sol and a paper towel later it seems to be gone but I dunno if there are still spores that will come back in time or something.

Is there a way to disable ALL of the telemetry bullshit in win 10?

Is it worth switching to linux when I'm running adobe suite and microsoft office all the time

>hey, you can overwrite whatever is already written here
That's why you use «Quick format». It literally does just that.

It has VESA mount, use that with whatever stand you want.

oh shit, i didnt know these we're standardized, thanks user

Just make sure that you get right one. You need VESA 100 mount, not 75.

thanks again user, do you have any reccomandations or do you reckon a cheapo one would work just as well as something highly reccomended?

do facebook notify the other person if I save their images on messenger?
asking for a friend

Attached: ead.jpg (680x678, 65K)

Is there anything fun I can do with an unused modem/router? My ISP for some reason sent another one, even though I'm not even using their old one, so now they're both sitting around, one in its' original box, the other wrapped in bubble wrap and under a few toolsets.

Nope. Sadly none of my monitors don't have VESA, but I recommend not cheaping out on this, because it will serve well for decades if you get the good one.

If it supports repeater mode you can use it as, well, repeater to get better signal.

That's just for wireless, isn't it?
I'm using wired, my current one is ~6 feet away from my computer.

Yeah, wireless repeater. I assumed that you have wireless router since in my country modems are obsolete (wired ones) and «router» in non-commercial context always refers to WiFi one.

is that dutch?

microcenter.com/product/502941/860-evo-500gb-mlc-v-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive

amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0A/dp/B073SBZ8YH?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=96e80702963811e89fb64a71662b62f70INT

Which SSD should I purchase? The 860 is more expensive but I can use a $5 coupon to make it a bit cheaper. It's going to be used in an external.

You're a fucking autist for wanting proof, when a roommate is hogging anything (internet, pans, shitters) in a flatshare you just tell him everybody needs it so it'd be nice if he could be careful in the future.

yes

How well do these cheaper chinese thermal pastes work?
I've been meaning to get a new tube since my current one is near-empty, and was on Aliexpress to get some cheap heatsinks, and noticed there are some literally who pastes.
Anyone got experience with these?

You can get a tester for the psu, they don't cost that much and it shows you if it's faulty almost immediately.
Motherboard I'm not so sure other than a stress test.
Considering your monitor turned off but you still had sound it could also be your graphics card.

Brackets

I think you can fully opt out in the enterprise edition, I don't think you can fully remove it from the regular user versions.
Have a look at the LTSB version of windows 10 as well since I think it didn't have shit like cortana and such.

>tester for the psu
Or paperclip and voltmeter.

That can be dangerous if he doesn't know what he's doing though.
A psu tester is literally just plugging the 24 pin plug into the tester and turning the PSU on.

What's the best way to watch anime on a TV? I have a Chromecast but every player I've tried drops the custom subtitles, I'd connect it to my PC via HDMI but they're in separate rooms.

How does root access work on custom ROM's?

Depending on what your budget is i'd get one of those cheaper NUC devices.
specifically the j5005 nuc allows 4K@60fps 10 bit h265 with hardware acceleration.
nucblog.net/2018/05/gemini-lake-pentium-nuc-review-nuc7pjyh-games-linux-htpc/
This + MPC-BE with madvr and the anti stutter allows you to play your chinese cartoons at 4k without any issues for the coming years.

>experience problems with my GPU no longer loading a display
>fumble between BIOS configurations and booting the computer with/without the GPU being plugged in
>eventually get to the point where I get something on the display with the GPU plugged in
>white screen
>light blue checkered screen
>"What the shit is this?"
>leave GPU powered but not plugged into display
>boot with iGPU
>managed to get booted up
>find that AMD has not released drivers for Unbuntu 18.04 for my GPU (R9 280X)
>mfw
So, when I can I expect new drivers for this thing? I'm not buying a new parts anytime soon.

Attached: 1504198942130.jpg (219x265, 26K)

>R9 280X
about never since it's old as dirt

Because when you delete particular files, it has to locate them before deleting them. If you just want to wipe the drive, do what said.

yep, sorry dude

My Synaptics touchpad sometimes right clicks when I'm certain that I only pressed the left. Is there any way that I can pin down the case of this issue and fix it? My first priority is to figure out what wrong move I'm making with the touchpad that it's interoperating as a right-click.

Is there any reason not to use GNU IceCat over Firefox ESR? I'm planning to install it today, and my only worry is that the importing/exporting won't be easy.

Those seem really nice, but kinda overkill for my usage, in my country the device is more expensive than my TV, I don't really need 4k or h265 as I mostly watch pleb rips.

Is it a violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act if you're able to hack someone's WiFi because they picked a really easy-to-guess password?

oh, in that case maybe a raspberry pi zero or something with kodi of openelec/libreelec ?
A raspberry pi zero costs like €5 and maybe €2 for an sd card.

Nah, there is no current going through the clip.

yes
Unauthorized access is a form of abuse

what language is this?

Attached: 1511307711224.png (1415x789, 1021K)

What to do with wife's dell shitbook, it has a t4500 pentium, 4 gb ram and a shit hd? She uses it only for office (needs ms office) and internet, and its slow as fuck on clean win 10 install. Would an ssd change anything significantly?

An ssd would probably solve most of the issues if it's old since the hdd slows it down a lot
see if you can upgrade the ram as well to 8 GB since that should help a ton when using windows 10.

Good idea except that you need to constantly move files from PC to SD card by taking it out, moving to PC and taking it back.
I suggest using Pi Zero W — it has wifi on board and will remove hassle of running around with SD card.

COBOL

>Would an ssd change anything significantly?
Yes.
>What to do
Install Lubuntu if she can switch to Google Docs/MS O365/Libre/Open office or re-install W10 from scratch
Also another 4G of RAM will improve things significantly. Not as significantly as SSD, but still.

Friend of mine gave me an iPhone 8 to square a bill he had. Trouble is that it’s obviously stolen, has a passcode and an iCloud account stored onto it.

Guessing there’s now way to access the phone now?

Bash it against something hard until all the data starts to leak out

bring it to an apple store with the proof of purchase.
otherwise it's just a paperweight.

>it’s obviously stolen
>proof of purchase
You aren't too bright?

The amount of people here claiming something was stolen as a joke vastly outnumbers of items being actual stolen goods.

He can still provide proof he pruchased it from his friend...?

I don't think that's gonna work in Apple store. Because, you know, you need receipt from retailer, not some random guy.

Just say you lost it. If they refuse to fix it then just start going ape shit and smashing everything in the store. Eventually they'll probably fix it just to get you out of there.

>just start going ape shit
First legit advice.

Is there a way to buy an apk from the play store without installing the play store? I removed it and use Yalp instead.

I want to use a small, fanless pc as my router, and have an email server on the same machine that devices connected to the router can access. Is this possible?

Your best bet would be real router + RPi as server.

Web version of store, maybe?

ryzen 1700X for €190
2700 is for €280,
1800X is for €225
cannot decide, what do?
It is gonna be programming/running VMs kind of workstation

It only adds "input lag" because you have to call your framerate to stay within the range.

Cap framerate*

but you can get a usb otg cable and then connect a usb stick to the second micro usb port

Attached: raspberry_pi_pinouttop.jpg (800x393, 106K)

some apps in my smartphone display a black rectangle where my navbar buttons are supposed to be (although they hide themselves when the app is running) when in landscape mode

for most apps this doesn't happen, but it's annoying as fuck in the few that do it

any ideas to get rid of that?

But you still need to run with some kind of storage around, but with wifi all you need is few clicks on your PC.

I'd probably go for the 2700 since it's newer but there isn't any significant difference between them even with instruction set support they're the same.
If you can spare the extra dosh i'd say go for the newer one.

Attached: passmark.jpg (736x465, 74K)

Can anyone rec me an android emulator for Linux? Like Nox, Bluestacks and that kind of thing.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (620x485, 41K)

I guess he can set up a shared folder on his main pc and just stream it that way or something

what is the minimum / cheapest SoC that will allow me to play open-xcom smoothly? it has to have a hdmi port so i can hook it up to my tv.

What is the best proxy addon for firefox?

Linux is a kernel. Android runs on Linux.

>.csv file with 3 million lines
>every line has three values to be inserted into local sqlite db via python script
>200 inserts a second
Yeah, fuck no. I hate everything SQL-related so goddamn much. Cancerous tech.

I can't get the apk for what I want in order to run it, though, so I need to get it from the play store.

How can I pass multiple class objects into a child activity in Java?

I've used intents to pass doubles inbetween activities, but I have no idea what the syntax would be to pass something like a "car" object including multiple values.

Do I set an intent for all of the values like CarOne.wheelnumber, and CarOne.weight, or can I create something that passes the object atomically, such as just passing CarOne?

use batch insert ya goof

but you're reading a large chunk of the text file into memory and not line by line, yes?

Yes, but you need some kind of connection between PC and RPi. RPi Zero doesn't have any network options built-in — you need either shield or USB adapter. Pi Zero W does have built-in WiFi and BT.

stackoverflow.com/a/2736612

What do I have to look for in a processor? Is clock speed the only thing that counts?

If you need it in SQL just to use SQL expressions on source, you can try q (harelba.github.io/q/) or textql (github.com/dinedal/textql)

>Is clock speed the only thing that counts
This is the latest thing that count. Forget about numbers, look for performance test in specific task you need,

if you're such a brainlet you might as well wait those 4 hours.

>What do I have to look for in a processor?
look at reviews/benchmarks. there are too many factors that affect cpu performance, hell even from specs alone a cpu that seems stronger and faster might be shit.
if you're technologically illiterate the best thing would be listing your budget and usage and have someone pick a cpu for you. if you're shopping for new cpus then there isn't many to choose from.

why is the google news "for you" tab so bad
it doesn't even use any topics you marked as interesting