Why does Jow Forums hate Discord again...

Why does Jow Forums hate Discord again? And don't say botnet because pretty much everything you use is a botnet including Jow Forums.

Attached: 1510647115331.png (1370x1388, 1.95M)

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/privacy)
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
cancel.fm/ripcord/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

can't use cash

1. popular
2. doesn't solve problems already solved by other chat methods

>for gaymers
>having 'internet friends'
>everyone is gay

Popular is a good thing, you don't want to have to download 5 different programs that all do the same shit.

btw how did they got more popular than mumble or vent?

Why are normalfags addicted to being spied on and having their personal data sold?

I gaurentee you use botnets daily

>non-free software (remember where you are)
>centralized (fragile, will die someday)
>confirmed to spy on users, censor people with differing views on politics and other things (loli)

Now let's compare to Matrix.
>free software
>decentralized (anyone can host their own server)
>federated (like email), so you can can contact people on other servers
>bridges with some other services, including IRC, so you can use it like an IRC bouncer

1. electron - it's a big giant piece of shit
2. going back to giant piece of shit, there is too much going on; even the minimal version feels claustrophobic if you're trying to do a group dm
3. there is no way I'm going to convince my company to replace IRC with an app that 24/7 spouts memes at you
4. you don't own your servers and you have no right to access them; a friend of mine was banned for being offensive in his own server because someone reported him
5. they're too big to care at this point; unlike some of the nice modern IRC clients who genuinely take feedback and implement things based on what their customers want (e.g., irrcloud), Discord couldn't give less of a shit
6. BOTNET

I've never used it.
Is there any reason I should?

I don't know anyone personally who uses it. My best friend plays single player on his ps3 and my girlfriend doesn't play games, just looks at memes all day. I play games like runescape when I have nothing better to do but mostly I'm just teaching myself new things every day, always learning.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-27-01-19-36_1.png (1080x827, 609K)

Because why the fuck would I use it? I text my friends, I have a life I don't play videogames.. Most people that are on discord are 14 year olds who hang out on VRchat or twitch or dumb shit like that. Get away from the computer for some time

proprietary shit

why are you addicted to posting on a site that uses Google services and is run by a known data miner

It's the reddit of messaging services

is Jow Forums one person?

SPLC.

>but mostly I'm just teaching myself new things every day, always learning.
Nice. NEET here, trying to do the same. Can you impart any wisdom on me? What sort of sites or books do you ready? What have you been learning lately?

I'm only a neet during the summer aka summerfag and my advice may or may not help but here it is.

For programming you can learn from an app called Sololearn. It's a bit bloated but it works well. If you don't want to install the app, Sololearn is also online, it looks like an Android app emulation.

Installing Arch, Parabola, and Void has been an adventure where I learned a lot too. I'm pretty happy with void so I'm looking to install Gentoo next on another computer.

I've been teaching myself to use Vim by simply using it all the time but just recently I discovered things like vimtutor and nethack and now I can really see why people like vim.

Other things you may do that's not technology related is to practice an instrument or learn a language. Being Slavic and from New York, learning Russian is pretty helpful. My gf is Chinese and there's a language barrier between me and her parents so learning Mandarin is pretty helpful. You can pirate Rosetta stone or simply download a language learning app like duolingo to help out. As for instruments, literally just buy an electric guitar and play it. If it feels awesome to you, then it's definitely for you.

However as of late I've been pretty depressed and I've been laying in bed all day. I'm not sure why. I'm just too tired to do anything, even too tired to eat.

Attached: Facebook-f046b1_1.png (500x669, 366K)

>No priority speaker so the leader of a group can't drown out other idiots who wont shut up
>No registered users option so you need to make a passworded, private room to keep idiots from coming in. If one idiot gets the password he can give it to his other idiot friends. With mumble you can have people registered to a server and then other people who come in can listen but not talk
>Its hosted by cloudflare which crashes sometimes
>Not open source, you can't see what's actually going on
>Can't choose where your server is hosted, at the whim of discord 100% of the time
>Shitty voice quality compared to Mumble

Even without all the privacy issues, there are plenty of reasons that Discord isn't that great from a voice chat perspective. I do however think its alright for planning stuff with your clan or group of friends and as a shitposting platform, but thats about it.

the only real reason its shit is because the servers are centralized

click on discord

>HOWDY GAMERS, YOU IN THE MOOD FOR SOME FUCKEN MIMIS? NO? WELL FUCK YOU BECAUSE EVERY TIME YOU LOAD OUR APP UP WE'LL SHOVE LEEEEEEROY JENKINS XDDDD!!!! INTO YOUR FACE AND DONT YOU FUCKING FORGET IT YOU GAYMER! NOW GO HAVE SOME GAMING FUN!!!

you seem fun at parties

They hate it because all the people who aren't insufferable autists left their IRCs for Discord chats.

Its got nothing to do with that. I get they want to make their thing relatable and have some sort of aesthetic going along with it, but its so bad. Its leeroy jenkins. Its like they are just a bunch of suits googling 'epic memes kids will LOVE and find EPIC XD' and putting the first thing they find into the text box. They could make it so much better but no they have no make it all cringe

>centralized (fragile, will die someday)
Normies don't care. They'll just jump onto the next fad.
>electron
This is really the cherry on top of all the things wrong with discord. With other solutions like IRC, jabber, matrix, etc, you could have a big, heavy GUI client, or one that only uses a few megabytes and runs in a terminal. With Discord, you're stuck literally running the Chrome browser to use it.

>owned by Chinese companies
>Chinese companies often have strong ties to the state

not that hard to piece this together

Attached: 1532279158979.jpg (600x600, 87K)

Text chat has all the same problems as IRC (shitty communities, teenagers, meme spam, op abuse) with no improvements. Inline images, forced centralized servers and mandatory proprietary botnet client are not improvements. Voice chat has all the same security problems as Skype, i.e. not peer to peer, no e2e encryption, proprietary protocol.

Discord doesn't fix this either because it's yet anther walled garden that cannot be accessed effectively with third party clients. There is no public API, people make third party clients but discord keeps breaking them.

FOSS solutions exist but nobody uses them.

Not many people know that Jabber is basically god-tier for IMing.

>nobody uses them.
So start using them. Nobody used discord when it first came out.

>However as of late I've been pretty depressed and I've been laying in bed all day. I'm not sure why.
because you were staying in bed.

Freetards don't understand why Discord has done so well whilst their FOSS alternatives flounder like a captured haddock, they focused on delivering what mattered such as features and good UX and didn't explicitly market privacy.

Discord entered the market when desktop chat apps were becoming less popular, Skype was haemorrhaging users and TeamSpeak, Mumble et al hadn't improved in years. Being able to isolate the app into a single tab and still deliver desktop-like features made it very easy to switch and it was advertised by Twitch streamers who used it to connect with fans and thus gained popularity quickly.
Riot and other vapourware will never be used extensively because people do not care about privacy in chat apps, they care about software features and ease of use. Crying botnet will not fix that, copying Discord aesthetically will not fix that, threads on Jow Forums will not fix that. People comparing IRC to Discord are missing the point entirely, Discord is absolutely filled with features that IRC channels do not provide and a usable UI makes it a breath of fresh air over dog shit like Skype.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 08.19.06.png (888x640, 101K)

>he thinks turning off the opt-in telemetry stops sending telementry to whatever chinese shadow corporation that has a stake in Discord
I bet you use Windows 10 as well.

>Discord explicitly confirms in its privacy policy (discordapp.com/privacy) that it collects the following information:

> · IP Address
> · Device UUID
> · User's e-mail address
> · All text messages
> · All images
> · All VOIP data (voice chat)
> · Open rates for e-mail sent by Discord

>Discord does not explictly confirm that it collects this information, but still collects it:

> · All programs that are running on your computer

Source: spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

>And don't say botnet because pretty much everything you use is a botnet
You don't even understand what botnet means kiddo

Do I look like a stralker...

>namefagging circlejerk
>average user is underage
>for gayming
>bloated

Isn't most online software and site collects IP and emails though? I mean for a service where you register it's kind of a necessity.
The rest is why you shouldn't chose discord over anything to be honest.

Discord became popular because people pulled eachother in, even on Jow Forums it killed a few generals on other boards. And norman uses whatever their friends use. I understand that it's just werks but so did teamspeak and the given platform chat.

Except I live in the EU where I can request all data and/or remove it all if I want to.
I can't see how the OS is relevant to a chat app.

>Jow Forums is relevant to Discord's success
Comedy gold.

I bet you think IRC is just as good.

literal no u arguments

Somebody linked this in another thread as a non-botnet way to use discord: cancel.fm/ripcord/
Can anybody verify if this is legit or a trojan? The source isn't available

I hate it because you can't lurk, you need to be invited/join to even see the chat logs and searching for historical messages is extremely clunky.
One of the best thing of the age of BBS forums was that you could find one for a niche interest and easily get a feel for the community by lurking and looking up old threads, and it fucking sucks that Discord has replaced that.

>Jow Forums is relevant to Discord's success
What I was trying to point out is that people get pulled in because of other people. You can even look at steam communities where the group chat is dead because of the discord spam. If it would've been for Jow Forums it wouldn't been anywhere near as where it is right now.

Steam chat is a pile of shit, it has been barebones with a clunky laggy ui for ages. That alone explains why people left it for Discord.

I'm sure lots of people from Jow Forums use it but the real growth came from marketing campaigns targeted at Twitch streamers then word of mouth from people who liked the software.

They got popular through a loss leader business strategy. Basically just get a huge backlog of venture capital and burn through it on marketing until you’ve established market share dominance, then introduce a pricing model. In this case discord nitro

Because they don't care as long as they can post thier unsolicited political opinions on Twitter or upload their borderline erotic pics on Instagram.

>Normies don't care. They'll just jump onto the next fad.
And that's why IRC is still alive.

you seem to use reddit memes
you seem to think that being "le ironic" is somehow funny or "board culture"
you seem like you should really just go back

Attached: 1523799044503.png (1050x741, 159K)

Privacy is the not the biggest reason Discord is shit, weird that you're latching on to it. Matrix being free software, decentralized, and federated means it'll likely be around forever, just like email. Discord and any other proprietary centralized software as a service flavor of the month chat app is not going to last.

They deplatformed right-wing activists and have a clause in their TOS implying they collect and sell all of your data.

It's literally all you faggots talk about, we have Discord threads daily talking about privacy. I don't care how long the service lasts for, I'm gonna use the best thing until it's no longer the best.

Throw it at your gf's face as hard as you can and film it, saying "HOWA BOUTTA DIS FOR YA IPOHD!?"

Attached: a8f875268b05bfd40018c441e7a23d9b59f6d896a5dcf9b5956ad5d57257d47e.jpg (1046x1363, 436K)

>using a service that doesn't let you delete your account

>no privacy
>the best thing
Makes sense considering the market for all these shitty chat apps is for terminal oversharers like yourself. As long as you cling to this behaviour you will be milked eternally by these shitty companies.

>you will be milked eternally by these shitty companies.
Milked how? I use their software without charge and in return they get useless data? Sounds like a good deal for me.

>without charge
There is no such thing as a free lunch.
>useless data
Every bit of data is a hint for them on how to further manipulate you. But sure, keep on giving it to them for free, I'm sure it'll pay off for you in the end.

Yeah I'm sure they'll make tons of money off of my conversations. I care about privacy but you are being absolutely ridiculous.

Attached: valuable_data.png (515x349, 37K)

No, you don't understand what the goal of mass data collection is. These companies that can entice idiots with """free""" services will continue to get away with whatever they want.

I personally don't enter these threads often, but it was very direct in asking why people don't like Discord rather than just spouting memes or advertising it.

I guess we disagree here, but I definitely think there are several services better than Discord. I do care about freedom, but I would never even consider using Discord, even if I were going to use non-free software.

Attached: discord.png (819x460, 24K)

It's botnet but also policies channels just like facebook despite aiming at the "underground weaboo gaming" audience. As a positive thing, I like how it hides my IP from others in the chat room. Some useful Discord bots are the only reason I still keep it.

Secondary: the audience. Almost every channel is populated by anime circlejerks of underage teenagers from rebbit.

It's slow on computers - every time I have to use it, it's loading and then updating for over a minute, despite me having a SSD.

Phone app is mostly ok, unless it's spying on stuff outside of the app.

I see it sort of like this.

Remember when Jow Forums actually knew what a botnet really was?

you left out the part where the girl says "btw im 16 lol" and the police are called

it tries to pander to the /v/ as well as normalfag crowd too hard, and uses fucking electron while claiming they're "cpu efficient"

i don't talk to people

That's about right, just missing the abundance of trannys and the music channel.
t. admin on a server spun off from Jow Forums

>popular is a good thing
No it isn't, the vast majority of people are retarded, and popularity should never be used to judge quality.
Quality alone should be used to judge quality.

educate us

How dumb are you?

Made by chinks.

>implying there aren't objective and obvious metrics of quality
Popularity certainly isn't one of them though.
>inb4 everything is subjective and people with shit taste have valid opinions
Subjectivity is a myth people tell themselves to feel unique, complex does not mean non-analyzable.

i know of an awesome related screenshot where the guy made a dr.suess style poem about it but i can' find it.
can anybody help me out?

Funny. I denied it all but storage permission (so I can send and save images) and it works fine. I don't use it for calls, and certainly don't need it suggesting my IRL contacts to me. I'll add people I want to it.

It's a botnet

sent ;)

Centralized server.

You can't install Discord to an arbitrary directory, instead it installs to AppData.

The installer doesn't even tell you it's doing this. You run the installer, and it just puts it in appdata, not even a single confirmation. Doubleclick setup.exe -> a bunch of shit on your OS drive.

Talk about incompetent.

did bill gates get really old?!

i have a Jow Forums addiction
doesnt mean i should just subject myself to every botnet and encourage others to

Who the fuck would pay for shit like Discord Nitro? WHY?

Reddit 2.0 with an extra R
>Same retarded circle jerking
>Suck the basedboy in charge micropenis or ban
>Manchild attention whores
>Le meme le funny xDddddd
>Failed Normies
>Gaymers, faggots, furries and basically all the scum on earth

>Scummy business model
>Steals your data
>It offers nothing over open source alternatives

Imagine defending this garbage Anons, summer did indeed bring the garbage out

To piss off faggots like you when they post only emotes they have. That is really all nitro is for. Oh, and you can change your numeric ID randomly assigned to you when you made the discord account.

$20.

>his potato can't run Discord

Attached: smug.png (300x300, 42K)

Find me a FOSS alternative just as good. IRC is not just as good try again.

>custom emojis
>muh #0001
>gif pofile pic
>$50/yr
The absolute state of discord fags