What do you guys think about Debian?

What do you guys think about Debian?
Debian is my daily driver and it works great for me.
What linux distro do you guys prefer?

Attached: download.png (225x225, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Firmware
wikileaks.org/wiki/FBI_pedophile_symbols
wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Gentoo

One without systemd

Debian is cool.

Install GuixSD
It's /ourdistro/

Attached: guixred.png (1422x1275, 205K)

Install gentoo

It is the best. Everything else is nerd shit that requires constant updates.

most famous linuxes are based on debian
really tickles your neurons

fedora

tips

the only two distros i even use is Debian and Slackware

i tried others and they were not worth bothering with

Attached: screenFetch-2018-08-02_18-45-34.png (1920x1080, 1.09M)

Debian is great. Shame about the systemd, though. As for me, I use and prefer Gentoo.

savage

Void, it's been ok so far. That said stable Debbie is my fallback.

The best and most stable. Unfortunately I had to leave her temporarily because Stable, Testing, and Unstable would not work for my Ryzen/Vega mobile cpu. On Ubuntu 18.04 now.

CentOS minimal.

Might migrate from Arch Linux to FreeBSD as i find SystemD really awful and confusing

Attached: muhfreebsdinstall.png (2560x1080, 3.36M)

Debian was great before it got systemdicked

ubuntu because it just werks and has decent driver support

debian stable for servers

Debian is cool but it's getting swallowed up by the ubuntus. and the fact that they went to systemd is annoying; devuan is the patrician breed of debian

i prefer Manjaro

void is dead.... ?

Not that I'm aware of. Why?

fuck systemd. debian was good and all but once I moved on to more ''advanced'' things like slackware and gentoo I never looked back

Ubuntu has all the same benefits of Debian without the drawbacks. It's a pretty pointless distro. The community is cancerous and full of the stereotypical "fuck you it's not SUPPOSED to work" type of autists.

>muh systemd
yeah, your answers can't get more stereotypical

ubuntu is bloated debian. everything you can get on ubuntu you can get on debian. ubuntu is the pointless distro imo

I installed it but couldn't edit a txt file to download nvidia proprietary drivers ( my gpu wasn't working properly without them)
It was my fault probably, I guess I should've launched the text editor with sudo.
I think debian is good because the most popular distros are forks of debian.
sorry if my english sucks I have low iq (I wasn't even able to install the fucking driver... technology to increase iq when?

Attached: 1513521884275.png (1920x1080, 812K)

>my gpu wasn't working properly without them
what card do you have?

gtx 970.
No distro worked for me without problems back then, I installed fedora recently and it works so I guess they fixed the drivers

Attached: 1511658100023.gif (540x304, 1.33M)

arch

you tried Nouveau driver?

Debian requires updates too of course, but I just
apt install unattended-updates && dpkg-reconfigure unattended-upgrades

and select security only. It never, ever breaks anything. Ever.

Comfy as fuck.

yeah I think so (If fedora uses Nouveau by default then it works flawlessy now).
I have to go user sorry its 3:00 at night in my shithole I don't want to fuck up my normalfag sleep schedule again...
its a pain in the ass to "fix" (I feel much better at night but the world hates me and i was born a human instead an owl... I guess i was doomed to fail from the beginning) ehh actually I will keep the tab open I'm not going away whatever I don't know anymore.

my OS choice doesn't even matter because I can do everything I do on any distro and windows... (except playing fortnite but I just play that to dominate 3 year olds... all I do is browse the web because I can't do anything else.)

Attached: 1506528405879.png (1920x1080, 435K)

you seem so upset..
but I love you anyway

on testing I just let it do its thing and its never broken anything on me. Debian + i3 as a host OS and then VM for everything else has been god level comfy for programming and Reverse Engineering across all platforms

I've never had any issues with it. I just prefer having all the drivers and extra shit out of the box from something like Ubuntu, or Manjaro. Otherwise it's really solid nothing bad to say about it.

Which branch? Stable is meme tier awful for regular use, even if it's the best server distro. Testing and unstable are perfectly respectable, though.

very bad video performance for some reason
very very bad
also installer a shit, tries to write MBR to the USB drive you install FROM and you can't do nothing but accept and fail to boot, also this happens to be the very last thing, meaning you've already installed, devilish.jpg

it's literally the worst

because it is popular it bullies upstream to do their (debian's) work for them because it's so outdated, just so ppl don't think that the software is crap/broken when it's actually the debian packages of it
that's obscene

>or Manjaro
they don't do anything special in that regard

Freedom as in prison

>hey user, what os are you using?
>Gouoautophaokc

Debian is great. Very comfy, very stable, genuinely just werks once you learn your way around Linux.

However, as a software dev (and an amateur one at that) I had to leave it due to it's old packages. I was running Testing, although the problem was more shit just not having an option for Debian packages in the first place (always Ubuntu though, which was quite annoying), leaving me having to either compile from source or, in the case of proprietary software, use the Ubuntu package and just hope. I've since moved to a rolling release distro (tumbleweed) and while I can now get things I need to do programming, I'm kinda missing how straight forward Debian was to get shit working in comparison. Also apt. That's a great package manager.

tldr if you don't need up to date packages Debian is literally the perfect distro

how do you stop tumbleweed from installing the software that you already removed
everytime i tried to update it wanted to install shit that I didnt want

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1533286990597.jpg (459x443, 218K)

You have no idea.

Debian GNU/Linux provides three different versions; stable, testing and unstable whereas testing is comparable to Ubuntu and unstable is comparable to Arch.

pic related is what I'm using now
looking to buy a new GPU. Waiting to find a high-end one for $300.

>guess what i use it for

Attached: neo_.png (1920x1080, 258K)

check if they are dependencies of a meta-package you have installed

Lead developer MIA

> CuckedBSD

Dragonfly is pretty nice though.

>cuck
I'm a GNU/Linux man myself, but if anything BSD is more redpilled

This. But I'm supporting of people using Ubuntu/mint... Some don't know how or can't be bothered to gather the packages needed to get debain to a point they're happy with

> The FreeBSD Project is inclusive.
> Diversity is a huge strength and is critical to the long term success of the Project.

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

as if GNU and FSF is in any way better about that. what makes BSD more redpilled is its licensing.

opensuse tumbleweed.

BSD isn't redpilled in licensing at all...
Specifically FreeBSD, though dragonBSD as I mentioned has not cucked to geek feminism.

Antergos

>cucked to geek feminism
what does this mean

I'm tempted to try it over Ubuntu. Are there any downsides to using the testing branch?

Geek feminism is a group of third wave feminists who seek and create issues in stuff online basically...

They took issue with several FreeBSD things, and FreeBSD cucked to them, allowing them to influence their CoC. So far as banning virtual hugs without consent.

Read the CoC: freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

Update your damn kernel

>promoting less free software
>redpilled

Devuan

Go back to bed, Lennart.

why would somebody do a dumb thing like that?

Can you post wallpaper, please?

Sparky linux is great. It's nice to have LXQT as default

Gentoo, faggot

MX linux, it's the best for me hands down.

>linux-libre
>barely boots
>half my devices dont work, graphics look like shit from the 90s
>suddenly everything goes blank
That day when GNU/Linux-libre bricket my thinkpad, was the day that I realized the full power of free software.

Attached: german_potato_mines.png (1001x1178, 77K)

Are you the scientific computing user or is this just a server

What do you mean? My problem is that shit doesn't provide Debian compiled packages at all, being stable or unstable doesn't change this. Besides, I'm not sure I'd want to go as unfar as unstable for my main machine even if it did help - being one step behind bleeding edge (tumbleweed) is perfect.

I have no idea. I'm new to tumbleweed and this annoys the shit out of me too.

>very bad video performance for some reason
gee, just install original card drivers
see free linux video driver performance tests - they're 2-3 times worse than native drivers

just embrace the future
stop living in 90s

Debian KDE here, the only sanctimonious things I did to it was to install regular Chrome browser and the latest Libreoffice. Dgaf of botnet my phone has regular Android too, fuck your autism. Otherwise it only needs a bit of tweaking for screen tearing and that's it.

how about I install debian and reconfigure it in such a manner that it stops resembling debian

>le currentYear() argument
jej

I heard debian had connections to pedo-rings somehow because of the symbol and how its all similar to the fbi-confirmed international pedo symbol.

no, more like CurrentCentury

>original card drivers

>because of the symbol
What? it's a spiral that originally was smoke coming from a genie lamp

very bad compared to other gnu/linuxes

yeah, proprietary ones

debian still has tearing? wow

Really makes my think become the big think.

Attached: think.jpg (225x225, 6K)

D doesn't support the latest cards
do you have one?

no thanks they work even worse

so, what's your card

no it's a 10yo one but then again it's debian so i guess yes

ATi and yes i did that
wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Firmware

wikileaks.org/wiki/FBI_pedophile_symbols

Also I heard something specific about the creator of debian ((committing suicide)) suddenly and him being related to pedo rings

did you read this?
wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

nigger

yeah, commiting suicide = being related to pedo rings apparently

On intel gpu yes.

nope

just fuck my shit up

Attached: Nvidia-tearing.jpg (1920x1080, 354K)

obviously yes