Any way to run a whole other machine off of a VM? Id like to run linux on one PC but have windows on another

Any way to run a whole other machine off of a VM? Id like to run linux on one PC but have windows on another
>Inb4 everyone REEEE
Id like to run one computer for regular use and the other for gaming use, but i would need to connect them both right? Which i know there is probably no way to do other then using my router, alternatively i can just run windows on another SSD and open it in a VM, what are my options lads, im trying to steadily switch is all

>Inb4 don't play games etc
Id like to play games, chill out and keep your opinions to yourself about that mess

Attached: 1354142985690.jpg (240x240, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lime-technology.com/network-attached-storage/
youtube.com/watch?v=LuJYMCbIbPk
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Prerequisites
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Linux has games.

A (incomplete) list of my GNU/Linux native games
>7 Days to Die
>Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition
>Baldurs Gate II: Enhanced Edition
>Ballistic Overkill
>Barony
>Bioshock Infinite
>Borderlands 2
>Cardinal Quest 2
>Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
>Counter-Strike
>Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
>Counter-Strike: Source
>Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
>Day of Defeat: Source
>Day of Infamy
>Dead Island
>Din's Curse
>Divinity: Original Sin
>Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
>Dying Light
>The Escapists
>Goat Simulator
>Guts and Glory
>Half-Life
>Half-Life: Blue Shift
>Half-Life: Opposing Force
>Immortal Redneck
>Insurgency
>Killing Floor
>Left 4 Dead 2
>Metro 2033 Redux
>Metro Last Light Redux
>Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
>Mount and Blade: Warband
>Party Hard
>Pillars of Eternity
>Plague Inc: Evolved
>POSTAL 2
>Serious Sam 3: BFE
>Shadow Warrior
>Shadow Warrior Classic Redux
>Shadowrun Returns + expansions
>Streets of Rogue
>System Shock 2
>Team Fortress Classic
>Team Fortress 2
>Terarria
>Torchlight 2

kvm with gpu passthrough

your post is hard to understand due to your extreme stupidity

lime-technology.com/network-attached-storage/
"With unRAID, you are no longer confined to the capabilities of a single OS. It lets you partition system resources, enabling you to store and protect data as well as run any application in isolated environments"

you should at least learn how your windows pc works before trying to smoosh 2 together

You can use this to power more than one monitor/operating systems off the same tower
youtube.com/watch?v=LuJYMCbIbPk

Well yeah I'm glad for that, but some games it doesn't have are the ones id like to play, like Warframe being one
That is something I've been thinking about doing
Your not wrong, I'm terrible at describing things
I am actually very good with windows and I've fixed other friends computers before like I'm sure you all have, it's just I'm trying to learn more with linux and kinda know both windows and linux
Thank you very much! Ill look into this as it can also help with future projects potentially aswell as this

I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. As far as I can tell, you have two PCs. One is for regular tasks, running Linux. The other is for gaming, running Windows. You want to change something about the Windows PC? Or maybe remotely control it from the Linux PC? Or something?

Attached: 1521738629192.png (418x309, 222K)

If you really want to game on a separate PC then you can stream it via Steam. Honestly it would be easier to setup for a brainlet than KVM passthrough.

What jobs or hobbies do you have outside of video games?

Id like to control both PC's as if i were running va VM, like say use my linux computer but open my windows computer in a VM but it being a separate computer
Funny enough i do own a steam link because it was 1$ at one point so i could try that , thanks for the idea
I work as a wage slave at a restaurant at the moment, but i enjoy building computers for other people and fixing them, although i also enjoy soldering and fixing anything really, some woodwork and interest in forging , mix of /diy/ and Jow Forums related things, i was looking at engineering stuff for a career though, that's all irrelevant

I don't quite understand what you mean. Why would the computers have to be connected in any way? Why would a VM be required?

Basically, why is what you want different from just having a Windows PC and a Linux pc?

Check out Synergy. I'm using SSH/VNC for my needs but truth be told I have 5 linux machines and one Windows for gaming only.

>that's all irrelevant
If I'm being honest, the end of the OP post about video games was a bit irritating and I wanted some perspective on what kind of person you were. I can see video games being the thing keeping you sane if your job is shitty. Better than alcohol, at least physically.

>Id like to control both PC's as if i were running va VM, like say use my linux computer but open my windows computer in a VM but it being a separate computer
Something like VNC Viewer? There's a big performance loss with it. It might be better to do like said and just run both operating systems as a VM on one machine, letting either OS use resources as needed.

I would like to use one computer for regular use and be able to pull up the other computer like a VM when i wanted to play a game that wasn't supported on Linux,
That sounds really cool actually, i don't think i have the money for synergy at the moment because of rent but ill probably get it soon
Sorry about that, i just didn't want alot of shit posters flooding the thread

The performance hit wouldn't be what I'm looking for but with what
Said i may be able to actually do it, i haven't watched the video as of yet but if it has 2 PCs inside it would be worth it, if it's one big powerful PC then i might have to save for now, but would be nice to have something powerful enough too

Have you tried just using wine? All this seems a bit unnecessary. Especially if you're broke.

I haven't as of yet but it's also a fun project to try, as well as use, but i can see it being a bit unecessary , but to me it would be really useful to still use Windows as im getting used to Linux

I've never had wine work very well with games. I usually took me a lot of troubleshooting for each game when I used it.

Unfortunately I think the only options are to use VNC software that introduces a tiny bit of input lag, or to buy special hardware. Would a KVM switch suit your needs? You'd have one keyboard/mouse, and you'd only be able to control one computer at a time, but it'd be easy to switch back and forth between them that way.

It has only one cpu inside but it has 2 gpus (but you can use integrated intel graphics and one core for linux)

This sounds like the optimal setup for PCIe passthrough. One of the GPUs can run your Linux host desktop, and the other can be passed through to the Windows VM. You'll want 2 mice, 2 keyboards, and 2 monitors. The result will look like 2 PCs set up, but only one tower.

You can use Intel integrated graphics as the GPU for the host system, though it's a little trickier than using a separate GPU.

Another note: You can't use 2 of the same GPU and pass one of them through but not the other. They need to have separate PCI VID:PID codes because that's how they're selected for passthrough.

>I've never had wine work very well with games. I usually took me a lot of troubleshooting for each game when I used it.
I don't use Wine myself, but I also just don't feel the need to use any Windows-only software. If I ever shit on wine or try to dismiss it in mixed company, I find that the friends of mine who mostly use Windows and have a little bit of GNU/Linux experience get defensive and insist it works pretty well. I have some bad memories of not being able to get certain things to work, but I guess if you're willing to put in the effort, it works for most stuff apparently.

He's just explaining the Linus video. Pretty sure OP has a not-so-great computer or two.

I have a i7 4790 16gb ram, Z97 m-plus motherboard and a GTX 1060 (motherboard, ram, and CPU was a extremely lucky dumpster find, (plz nu poorfag shame) the power supply was dead and there was no GPU so i saved up and got a 1060 3gb before the price hike and my friend got a new power supply so he gave me his 500 watt one , i have a extremely old GPU (MSI NX7800GT) I think i might need a better GPU though im pretty sure the intergrated graphics is way better

Side note- i wonder why whoever had my computer beforehand got the non K varient but got a overclocking motherboard

That's what I'm currently working with, although I'm sure im going to try out all suggestions and or look into all info you guys have provided, still open to all suggestions if there are more (i like to stockpile all suggestions and research each one then try it out)

If the motherboard allows the integrated graphics to be active even if the 1060 is plugged in, you can use that. Otherwise go for the 7800GT. You won't be playing many games on it, but it'll be enough to display a Linux desktop.

lmao this is called a PCI passthrough, I am actually in the process of doing this for myself right now.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Prerequisites

whether or not you're doing it on arch, this is a good resource to give you a general idea of what you're going to have to do to expose your devices to a VM.

good luck

I dont understand what your asking, just use one physical host.

Thanks! This will help alot

>playing video gaymezzz
Back to /v/ with your degenerate ways.

Ive been on Jow Forums and /diy/ and never been to /v/ , thanks buddie

This thread is about setting up Qemu, KVM, PCIe passthrough, etc. That belongs here. If it was about what new games are coming out, it would go in /v/.