RIP WhatsApp

RIP WhatsApp

Now that Zuckerburg has finally taken it to the dark side, what is the best messenger app to switch to?

Attached: IMG_20180802_213934.jpg (1038x1708, 288K)

Other urls found in this thread:

signal.org/bigbrother/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wire

>he doesn't know about regular phone plans and text messaging

>spend $22 billion on an app
>shit how do we make any money with this?

- why?

Telegram

Whatsapp did everything that Facebook had done before, easy likes and follows everywhere, and then surprise niggers, you have to pay to preserve your reach percentages or your follows won't see your posts

>what is user data

these

Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, Hackers, you'll be free.

Hoarders can get piles of money,
That is true, Hackers, that is true.
But they cannot help their neighbors;
That's not good, Hackers, that's not good.

When we have enough Free Software
At our call, Hackers, at our call,
We'll kick out those dirty licenses
Ever more, Hackers, ever more.

Attached: riot-im-logo-1.png (408x360, 14K)

Worthless unless you can push ads.

they saw the inevitable decline of Facebook and tried to buy a permanent audience no matter what
In many countries like Germany WhatsApp is not seen as a social network but as a communication tool, like SMS or calling. We don't even refer to it as WhatsApp anymore, just texting.

Only Amerifats still use text messaging. The rest of the world moved on five years ago

Attached: HaveAGoldStar.png (882x624, 27K)

ANY changes made to whatsapp are a nationwide scandal, people don't like change on a platform that important
and it's quite scary how important it is, every aspect and contact of my life required, requires and will require me to have WhatsApp

>implying I give a rats ass about the rest of the world

Whatsapp?
wtf is that poorfag app
get an iphone and you'll have iMessage with extra features

Also, what did you expect srsly Zuckerberg bought Whatsapp for 19B ofc at some point he'll monetize the app he only had to figure out how, its funny, in the end he went for the most obvious choice ads!

i am fucking dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

>still only use sms
>apps for messaging
>take my info please!

You don't need to give any personal info to use WhatsApp

they push ads on facebook

Can I use WhatsApp to talk to my normie coworkers without having a Facebook account?

Messages and Google Allo should become cross-platform and shove themselves down your throat so we can be done with this shitty deprecated Zuckerborg app

too redpilled for normie adoption

What is the point of these apps in first place? Just about any cell plan (over here) includes infinite text messages. Also obligatory: if it's free you're the product.

you don't need and you can't even use a Facebook account there
Your phone number acts as your whatsapp account

they're already showing fewer support for Google Allo
Fucking hell how many messaging apps will Google continue to make?

I think the MAIN thing 1) is that is has a shitload of more emojis and 2) it can save you money by only getting data/phonecall plan (cheaper than all three) and just using text data over data part.

Texting relies on towers only while apps like this can use both.
Also more features, though most are cosmetic rather than actual utility. It's just a comfort thing, but ease of use is extremely important in making average people use your product.

I haven't topped-up my prepaid in 2 years lol

sn't sending pictures and videos (MMS) more expensive and not included in most plans?

This is why WhatsApp is popular, frugal millenials.

>any cell plan (over here) includes infinite text messages
this is not the case in EU, on the contrary however you get unlimited data

*isn't

Spain here, WhatsApp is the only way to talk to people you know and meet

>Millenials are ruining texting

unironically imessage. end to end encryption and a company that has got your back and is out to sell you products not turn you into the product.

>paying a phone plan
I only use my phone on wifi, fuck the phone companies.

>t. doesn't go outside

No
Just no

Discord

Talk to nobody, acknowledge that you have no friends.

If WhatsApp didn't exist I wouldn't even need a smartphone as I could message through my iPad

Americans please just fuck off with your deprecated shit, nobody wants to have to deal with that shit anymore

Phone Number

Same here but SMS (and especially MMS) suck ass.

lmao. You're the one with no way to text for free since now you have to pay by looking at ads.

Looks like the issue ISN'T Whatsapp OR the phone company and data plans.

Problem is you're too fucking poor and stupid to be able to pay for ANY type of text messaging system.

>Fuck Whatsapp. Bastards gave me free text messaging for a while. That's some serious bullshit.

lmao my service has everything unlimited for 19,90€/month. And I don't mean the bitchboy """unlimited""" plans Yanks have where it's """unlimited""" until some small as fuck data cap when they throttle the shit out of you. Nobody uses SMS because it sucks ass. And don't even mention MMS.

>Nobody uses SMS because it sucks ass

Is this what plebs believe?. Seriously.

Is this what plebs really believe?.

I guess even plebs know that since everyone moved on from SMS. Everyone but Yanks.
>B-but muh data!
Everyone has unlimited data these days, nobody cares.

boomer of the week

>I guess even plebs know that since everyone moved on from SMS

What is there to move on from?. No joke. I still use SMS and never even knew there was a problem with it. Enlighten me. Let me know the plethora of problems I'm running from?. Talk to me Whatsapp. Why should I adopt your service?.

WhatsApp does everything SMS and MMS does but better and plenty of stuff on top of that. Of course text messages, then read receipts, group messaging, sending files (pictures, videos, audio clips, documents), audio/video chat. SMS is... eh okay I guess for simple text messages, but even then a bit lacking. MMS is a pile of fucking garbage that had its moment somewhere in the early 2000s but died away because fuck it was awful. There's a reason everyone else moved on.

>imessage has extra features
such as?
babymojis?
the poo in loo smiley?
they are not features, they are gimmicks for children

>WhatsApp does everything SMS and MMS does but better and plenty of stuff on top of that

So basically you're just saying Whatsapp is a lot better with more features and stuff. I get that but still not sure why so many people are dogging SMS when (as far as I can tell) it does what it's for which is just sending texts and shit. It does what it does. It doesn't suck at what it does.

For those that need it and not want Data they can opt for that instead of buying a data plan when they don't need it at all because maybe they strictly use Wi-fi. Either or it's good to have an option.

Just seems a little whiny to blast SMS so bad when it really isn't harming anyone.

Jealous of 4.1% GDP growth, eurofaggot?

SMS is okay for sending simple text messages and only for that. If you want anything more than that, you're shit out of luck. So is it a surprise that people switch to something that does all that (and better), but also has all the other features right at hand?
...what?

>Texting relies on towers only while apps like this can use both.
>the absolute stone age androidfags live in

Attached: iMessage.png (975x539, 190K)

No, I'm not surprised that people absolutely love Whatsapp. The real thing that does surprise me like crazy is that people who use it give it such a hard time as far as paying for it or accepting that it shows ads.

I don't use it. I'm kind of anti-social and like it that way. i don't have many friends. Just my VERY VERY close family which is only a couple people and I don't enjoy texting and stuff so I don't think it's worth it to pay for a service like that or use it. but if I did I would definitely pay for it.

>"there has been no clear plan on how to monetize"
There has always been a clear plan

Yeah so?

When people refer to "texting" they generally mean SMS messaging. iMessage doesn't use SMS, and when you "Green text" you're not using iMessage.
What's the purpose of this post?

>green bubbles
yikes

Attached: maximum soy.jpg (480x360, 43K)

Now everyone switches to matrix and all problems will magically go away

me, my gf and all my friends have been using telegram for years now. I keep whatsapp for my parents because they're old and afraid of change.

Idk discord is pretty good

Lmao do people still send telegrams? What? Aren’t those like obsolete like fax

WhatsApp is very unpopular in the USA because it does the same job SMS/calling does but it requires data (3G, 4G, WiFi etc) to use. In the USA most plans have unlimited SMS/calls as standard, only data is considerably limited and you have to pay for usage. So why bother using WhatsApp? Get the point? Also, even if you don’t like SMS you’ll most likely end up using Facebook messenger instead (if you’re a normie).

In the rest of the world, it’s the exact opposite, SMS/calls plans aren’t as cheap and sometimes are even on par with data plans so most people take advantage of WhatsApp + WiFi (be it public, workplace or your home’s) for calling and messaging.

Telecoms in general are a shitty scam. For many years British Telecom has forced customers to pay line rental on a shitty copper line (or aluminium if you are unlucky). Even if you only use it for broadband.

>WhatsApp is very unpopular in the USA because it does the same job SMS/calling does but it requires data (3G, 4G, WiFi etc) to use.
It does the same job but bette and has plenty of features on top of that. Let's not pretend like they're on equal footing. Also, it uses a surprisingly small amount of data, if someone has a data cap but is curious to try it.

Riot.im > Wire > Signal > anything else

>British Telecom has forced customers to pay line rental on a shitty copper line
BT is the company that actually maintains the physical cable though. That's fucking why.

>giving access to your entire device, all it's files, all your contacts, your device's unique information, your phone number

Significantly more features.

S I G N A L
I
G M E S S E N G E R
N E
A S
L S E N G E R

You're welcome, this red pill is on the house.

>MESS
Lel

Wait what? Do ameributs buy $1000 korean phones to send sms and make phone calls. This retardation goes over my expectations.

Of course it could be just Jow Forums. But what people use Telegram, Signal and Whatsapp other than private messages is group chats, sharing media and files, sharing location, making video calls, sending sound messages etc. Telegram is the most popular in my uni. We have like these huge moderated group chats for different majors that are like combination of IRC and Jow Forums with meme GIFs etc. And btw, nobody uses Facebook actively

Must be a troll but
>no attachments (files, location, media)
>MMS is good on year 2001 standards
>cross platform usage sucks (pc/phone)
>no end-to-end -encryption
>no group chats
>needs cellular connection

You also get at least a shitton of sms, I havent seen a plan with less than 1000 sms included monthly, and its ofteb unlimited.

everyone has data caps on mobile plans unless you're paying shittons of money to the carrier for their premium plan

most people don't do that and texting is free/unlimited in even most basic plans because the company expects most of the money to come from data charges

But it's already paid, fuck off zuck. Is there any third party app that can connect to Whatsapp? Too many normies using it for me to drop.

Attached: chuckcuck.jpg (1024x560, 69K)

At least in America you're far more likely to have a cell connection than a Wifi connection, especially now that stores are starting to crack down on wifi theft by banning clients from connecting to websites other than their menu/catalog.

As for attachments MMS is baked right into the phone and does not count against a data plan while SMS can send a single message to multiple people. It's good enough for most of society and is the cheaper option anyway. Whatsapp/Instagram is only good if you're already into Facebook but want to pretend you're still trendy.

Just use signal.

Kik :^)

Data works through cell connection. So WhatsApp works when there's only wifi or when there's only mobile connection.

Americans are so fucked in the ass when it comes to mobile contracts and internet.

Telegram

/Thread

Sad but true. Slowly getting there though.
It's pretty high in several country play store rankings.

This. Telegram has a data tracker letting you see the data usage and allows you to limit different media types over mobile data/WiFi. Makes it pretty efficient.

Telegram does almost all this but better... If it's a game of go with what has the most features it'd seem odd to choose whatsapp

Does the message app that comes with your phone not send messages? Dipshit.

>Just about any cell plan (over here) includes infinite text messages.
Does that include messages to other countries?

Signal

signal and threema.

Signal
signal.org/bigbrother/

Attached: 1024x1024sr.jpg (1024x1024, 44K)

Requires phone number.

Signal Messenger, WA is proprietary trash.

Signal is government spyware.

Free WhatsApp is literally a given even on the cheapest phone plan be it either on prepaid or contract.
I'm interested in whatever they will be doing since it will certainly impact people where I live.

Don't have one?