Which desktop environment is best out-of-the-box?

Which desktop environment is best out-of-the-box?

Attached: image.jpg (252x200, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

whichever one works best for you

openbox... literally out-of-the-box
haha get it?

lxde

Budgie

spbp

MATE

What did he mean by this?

How has a brainlet like you managed to get enough good boy points to post on a site like Jow Forums?

High Sierra OS
>/thread

xfce

I'd say KDE is probably the most modern feeling UI at the moment. A lot of DEs seem stunted in a not-quite-winXP era of UI design.

fpbp
/thread

This.

how about cinnamon, Pantheon, Budgie

What exactly makes it feel more modern? Is it the widgets?

Cinnamon

>A lot of DEs seem stunted in a not-quite-winXP era of UI design.

I agree.
But Gnome takes the modern design further than KDE.

I want to use KDE and every year or so I go back and try it and it's always buggy as hell. Everyone's always saying "oh, but it's fixed now, for real this time" and it never is. It's a shame because it it weren't for the bugs it'd be the best hands down.

Apart from that I'd say Unity is the best out of the box, but I prefer MATE or XFCE with a little extra configuration. A big part of the reason I use Linux is the customisation, and I think this is the case for a lot of people which is why Unity was always controversial.

i3 unriced is what i use at work. changed the config around just a little and made my own i3bar script.

Haven't tried them all, but from those I have - Cinnamon.

Is anyone picking up Unity to continue development?

Unironically in order:
>macOS High Sierra
>GNOME
>LXDE
>everything else

There are no bad DE's anymore desu.

Budgie is the only that doesn't look like shit, but anything is functional.

>literally Windows 10 clone
nope

I had a lot of Plasma crashes until I unchecked "Allow applications to block compositing".

I like Gnome, Shell's work flow, CSD and so, but, there are a lot of bugs in their apps and performance is shit. I prefer how KDE tries to keep performance and quality of software over anything, then you have software with ugly UX and UI but fast and that really does that they promise.

Attached: Screenshot_20180802_184209.png (818x152, 14K)

Cinnamon is severely underrated on Jow Forums IMHO

Devuan Cinnamon is the logical choice. Also i started on Kubuntu 10 years ago and tried plasma but nope. Also I was impressed with ubuntu Mate after resurrecting some PowerPC hardware and budgie can go fuck itself because of Solus and Kevin.

Attached: debianstable.png (1920x1080, 65K)

What's wrong with solus?

Xfce is nice mate

Attached: latest.png (1280x720, 581K)

they're all shit.
i3

Wait till it's broken by being switched to qt

Dwm

t. gtkuck

Imagine being such a fucking robot that you see people talking about i3, think it's a DE (it's a WM faggot), and then shill it even though you most likely don't use it.

This. Just use whatever desktop you like the user interface of the most! That's why we have so many on *nix systems. People have different work preferences.

Not an argument.

KDE

>turn on breeze dark
>move the bar to the top of the screen
done

>Devuan

Attached: 100_to_fuck_off.jpg (500x375, 25K)

Deepin

i like xfce because it runs on anything and doesn't bother me that much.
also, it has a very ""standard"" workflow for someone like me who grew up using windows unlike gnome for example, which has an application menu that looks like an ipad, not my cup of tea.

gnome3, or if you like windows like desktops cinnamon, or if you are more of a raging faggot KDE

>turn on breeze dark
>move the bar to the top of the screen
>DE crashes only 27 times while doing this

how about no nigger, KDE is a failed experiment and has been for years now, stop luring normalfags into it, you're killing Linux for them and in general

unironically pantheon

this
yeah but I like it, no limit workspaces works for me. comfy. also is on everything so why resist

Pantheon (elementaryOS) is literally the only current DE that is 100% normalfag friendly, if that's what you're asking. It's like Cinnamon but not ugly and actually works. Actually it's nothing like Cinnamon.

Cinammon is just like gnome2 what are you onto

For me - XFCE or KDE.
LXDE - well, I can live with it.

you're either confusing cinnamon with mate, or gnome2 with gnome3.

What's the most stable and useful light DE?

>Is just like gnome 2
>Is just retooled gnome 3
>Looks like win 7

>A lot of DEs seem stunted in a not-quite-winXP era of UI design.
And that's a good thing.

xfce

>Xfce
Lightweight and solid desktop that probably does most of what you need

>KDE
The only project that actually aims for a full-featured linux desktop. Sometimes buggy.

>GNOME
Heavy as shit and requires 3rd party JavaScript plugins to provide standard desktop features.

>LXDE
Dead lightweight desktop built around the popular Openbox window manager. Not much reason to use it over a standard Openbox session.

>Cinnamon, Budgie, Mate, Unity
Just slightly tweaked GNOME. They don't matter.

They all work. Just use whatever the fuck you want. I like Xfce and Mate most, but anything works.

watch a video comparing them to see whichever suits your needs/wants the best. personally i use xfce because it's light weight and simple.

>DE crashes only 27 times while doing this
>stop luring normalfags into it
As a proper normal fag, I've experienced KDE twice. Once just as the latest one was released, had a lot of bugs and it crashed alot and then a 2nd time recently and have had no issues at all, not a single crash compared to a windows PC that shits itself seemingly monthly for the last few years.

I had to leave my PC on because I knew the moment I turned it off there was a 50/50 chance it wouldn't start back up without new problems which you can't seem to do with windows because if you try to leave a computer on for a week it starts running slow as shit.

Now I legit don't even need to unplug and replug my keyboard to get it working when I start my PC it literally "just werks".
.t Win7 & Win10 user switched to OpenSUSE

>KDE
>Sometimes buggy.
>Sometimes

Attached: muhsides.jpg (300x300, 18K)

yea if you think opensuse+KDE is stable you need to distrohop a lot more.

If plasma reminds you to wangblows 10, then you are a fucking idiot.

I'm sure it would get a lot more stable but compared to what I've been experiencing on windows its been smooth sailing.

is trash

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager

i don't get it, can you explain

KDE Plasma

It's hard to believe I'd say that looking back tens years ago when i hated the big DEs, but with how much RAM we have these day an dhow far it's progressed it's a really nice experience. It's less of a memory hogg than windows these days last I checked and smooth.

based and redpilled

Cinnamon for sure

Technically LXDE. It has an OK layout and you can't do much with the DE anyways. Being better ootb doesn't mean better in general or even easier to use. I'd much rather spend the 3-5 minutes tweaking Xfce than use GNOME or deal with the instability of KDE.

But it has THE most fucking retarded defaults and default UI.

>Cinnamon is severely underrated on Jow Forums IMHO
It's just a slightly tweaked GNOME.

No, there's a lot more shit you have to do.

Xfce

>Xfce
>probably does most of what you need
It does. It's more usable as a desktop than GNOME, and easier to use than any other DE.
You forgot to list pantheon as a slightly tweaked GNOME.

Attached: hellabait.jpg (625x626, 85K)

XFCE, i just werks, i have a old laptop that is overheating because dust, and some DEs would make the fans spin, Mate didn't work with my hdmi monitor setup ( only using the monitor and not the laptop screen )

Everything feels clunky and constraining since using openbox. I can't go back.

Manjaro

Emacs is the best DE

Budgie or Cinnamon

tmux

Never crashed for me since 5.8 was released. Stop using nvidia

lxde, cinnamon, and kde have the best out-of the box experience.
not because these are the best DEs, mind, but because they present (mostly) sensible defaults.

gnome, budgie (tweaked gnome), and unity (dead) can be dismissed out of hand.

xfce has the ridiculous mac wannabe dock, and the horrendous adwaita cancer inherited from GNOME
mate has gotten incredibly bloated, there is literally no meaning to its cuntinued existence, except for sad losers that want to recreate Unity after ubuntu finally put it out of its misery.
both of these can obviously be pimped and improved, but the defaults are a dealkiller

i personally despise the stagnant looks and functionality of cinnamon (the panel, applets, and menu are a disaster) but the default presentation is 80% of what a properly fucntioning desktop should be like.
lxde has its own deficiencies with the menu and with openbox, but the panel is better than cinnamons and the desktop is at least 60% sane.
kde has a beautiful, properly functioning and complete desktop, but for all its lamentable bugs, crashes, and rash of bizarrely configured default settings, like single-click to open instead of select.

Attached: 1513503042368.gif (237x240, 1.95M)

Gnomeme unironically

it feels like some off-brand, rinky-dink chinkshit tablet os from circa 2011.
it does not remotely look modern

Aqua (macOS' UI)

Attached: here-s-how-to-install-macos-high-sierra-10-13-on-your-mac-517818-4.jpg (1440x900, 232K)

ubuports, supposedly, but i have liittle confidence in the project

Attached: 2eyes.png (400x400, 6K)

KDE, because filepicker

Mate, for the lighter weight Cinnamon experience.

Fluxbox

>GNOME
ugly, laggy and shitty

>Xfce
comfy, riceable, stable as fuck

>LXDE
really outdated, good for older hardware or Win98 fanboys, better wait for LXQT

>Mate
a bit buggy but nostalgic and comfy

>KDE
beautiful, powerful, stable (if you use it with Neon/OpenPEPE)

>Unity
memory hog but comfy and underrated features

>Budgie
alright but fuck off, Kevin

>Cinnamon
pretty gud

>Pantheon
faggy, buggy, disgusting

>i3, openbox etc instead of a DE
the best

Definitely LXDE , Lubuntu is the superior distro too
Anybody who thinks otherwise is just an autistic neckbeard with too much time on their hands that likes to jerk off into his own mouth

Attached: a.png (1465x1007, 117K)

I don't understand the hype behind lxde. It's openbox tint2 pcmanfm nm-applet pulseaudio lxappearance I think there are a few more. It's literally just existing parts + gtk theming.

>It's literally just existing parts
thats the beauty of it
honestly though, openbox is such shit, it would be preferable to just run i3 with lxpanel if you felt you really needed it (and even though xfce-panel is immensely better)

one of the great things about lxqt is a much improved panel (searchable menus, finally) and the option to use kwin

>>Cinnamon
>pretty gud
>>i3, openbox etc instead of a DE
>the best
tasteful. Or at least, Cinnamon is practical if you also use Windows as you can set it to behave just like Windows 10

where's Enlightenment?
no one ever mentions Enlightenment

Attached: Enlightenment1700.png (1024x600, 462K)

Budgie has potential but until it gets real support and actual customization it's going to feel like a shitty beta product compared to everything else

I want deepin to become a thing. Looks like the shot of Mac OS needed to get people to convert, but right now is an unstable piece of shit.

I really like enlightenment but it feels a bit dated and doesn't seem to be maintained. It is quite a different GUI experience. Worth trying

xfce is pretty great
>just werks
>highly customizable
>lightweight

also check em
double trips of truth

Attached: 114.png (293x335, 94K)

quartz

xfce and mate, unity is fine ubuntu migration to gnome was a mistake

xfce a best

unity

Attached: rina-uchimura.gif (304x380, 1.99M)