ITT: hard pills to swallow for Jow Forums

ITT: hard pills to swallow for Jow Forums

1.If there's something commandline does, GUI does it better
examples: synaptic package manager, GUI file managers, GUI text editors and so on.

2.spending 5 hours to fix a problem in your OS should not give you feeling of accomplishment and "l33t tech savviness", but rather should make you think why your OS is so fragile and shitty in the first place

3.YOU CAN in fact exit the botnet, it's never been this easy.

Attached: 15024859637158.jpg (1995x1490, 674K)

Nice bait. Saged.

Which point hurt you? the first or second one? did i shatter your dreams of l33tness and what not?

can you at least give some decent rebuttal?

it's like you're not even trying, OP

again, which point do you disagree with?
do you actually have any argument or are you just gonna be a faggot?

Based. No one will refute this because they simply can’t.

apple is the first trillion dollar company, I just don't see how

Hi, OP.

Because normals eat it up
you see normalfags see bigger price = must be better
they don't give two shits about specs or issues (unless it's too late)

Hi

>this reply
>connection error
I don't know what I've written that it doesn't like, so you'll just have to read a .png.

Attached: attempted-post.png (630x440, 61K)

I think the 1st point is only correct if you do not know how to use the features the command line program has. Sometimes that is a pain in the ass and people don't have the patience. I like command line tools because I like having access to all my programs there and I have to remote into systems a lot.

Your 2nd point is pretty dead on.

>GUI does it better
not always, like for directory listing or for finding files, reading logs
the holy grep can't be substituted

>why your OS is so fragile and shitty
I agree, not 100% but most of the times it's this

>YOU CAN in fact exit the botnet
who said we can't?

> 1.If there's something commandline does, GUI does it better
try to write script inside your gui, put several commands inside loop or some if/else statements.
try to pipe between several gui applications and filter output data
try to do any thing what was not implemented in 'make it easy' button
you can't.

the rest of your bait is worthless any effort

>If there's something commandline does, GUI does it better
One evening, Master Foo and Nubi attended a gathering of programmers who had met to learn from each other. One of the programmers asked Nubi to what school he and his master belonged. Upon being told they were followers of the Great Way of Unix, the programmer grew scornful.
“The command-line tools of Unix are crude and backward,” he scoffed. “Modern, properly designed operating systems do everything through a graphical user interface.”
Master Foo said nothing, but pointed at the moon. A nearby dog began to bark at the master's hand.
“I don't understand you!” said the programmer.
Master Foo remained silent, and pointed at an image of the Buddha. Then he pointed at a window.
“What are you trying to tell me?” asked the programmer.
Master Foo pointed at the programmer's head. Then he pointed at a rock.
“Why can't you make yourself clear?” demanded the programmer.
Master Foo frowned thoughtfully, tapped the programmer twice on the nose, and dropped him in a nearby trashcan.
As the programmer was attempting to extricate himself from the garbage, the dog wandered over and piddled on him.
At that moment, the programmer achieved enlightenment.

1 - It depends, there are things that you essentially need GUIs for, and there are other things commandline can do, but better.
2 - Correct.
3 - You can exit it easily, if you are using the "popular" definition of botnet, but you'll lose some features.

I'll bite.
>Synaptic package manager
I don't really have an opinion on this cause I don't use it. Apt works well enough for me.
>GUI File managers
This I'll agree with. Command line file managers (outside of commands like cd, cp, mv, ls, and rm) is just bordering on autism.
>GUI Text editors
Again, don't really use that since vim works well enough for me.
>#2
From my experience, Debian Stable just werks ootb for me (at least with LXDE).
>#3
I don't even care about the whole botnet thing, it's the forced updates that strayed me away from Windows.

>synaptic package manager,

Attached: 1528293467090.jpg (600x532, 40K)

Being social > computers

>synaptic package manager
How is it better?

Also I strongly disagree with the first statement. GUI programs are often more intuitive, but command line tools are great for automation and usage in scripts. There's also a tendency for command line tools to offer more in-depth options than software with a GUI.

>GUI Text editors
Try gvim then. It's vim with better color and font support, scrollbars, a menu bar, etc.

bogpill

Attached: 7fb202df34e3ce571b1e1523f9e43877.jpg (511x496, 72K)

>rename a thousand jpeg to jpg
double click the selected program choose a directory and let it do it's work
>but at least once it's set up it stays that way
Very misleading, "setup" more like "modify an obscure nonsensical config file so you can be able to download wifi drivers, or figure out why nitrogen keeps fucking up"

See that's the thing with windows and linux, windows TRIES to be as polished as possible so people have to do the least effort and just start doing their shit instantly, linux devs don't give two shits, and that's why linux desktop will NEVER take off, the only distros that i've seen being worth a shit in desktop are PCLOS and ubuntu, why? because the devs actually take time to polish their crap and send you a complete product instead of telling you to fuck off.

hurr durr GUI has no text
retard

nah you're a faggot

double click synaptic go to the search bar type the first two letters of your pkg, mark for install and apply, boom, installed.

I was expecting more hard pills OP, this is pathetic watching you get BTFO by everyone here.

I bet you're going to sit and respond to every single post, aren't you?

Attached: 1518685259928.jpg (600x983, 183K)

All of that can be easily implemented in GUI, just because nobody asked for it yet doesn't mean it can't exist

>hurr durr GUI has no text
>retard
You must be at least 18 to post here.

I'm sorry that your pasta was refuted by a couple of lines

just because GUI has neat little icons and buttons doesn't mean it's devoid of all text, idiot.

>double click the selected program choose a directory and let it do it's work
What selected program? Windows just tells me that's too many files to open. Or is this another instance of "go download 3rd party software made for your exact use case"? What happens when I inevitably run into a use case that nobody has made software for?

>Very misleading, "setup" more like "modify an obscure nonsensical config file so you can be able to download wifi drivers, or figure out why nitrogen keeps fucking up"
I have encountered this sort of stuff on both Linux and Windows. On Linux, I usually find a forum where someone else had a similar issue and there's advice to edit some obscure file. On Windows, I find a Microsoft Answers post with the same issue, an official answer that doesn't work, and hundreds of replies of "this doesn't work" and "I have this problem too", with the eventual solution of "back up your data and reinstall the OS".

I'm using nvim-qt at the moment, cause gvim under debian stable doesn't have the built-in terminal.

Yes, but do you really want to argue that changing the basic features of a GUI is as simple as writing a script yourself?

ye

>What selected program?
wtf are custom explorers lmao
wtf is googling "mass file renamer" lmao
>I have encountered this sort of stuff on both Linux and Windows. On Linux, I usually find a forum where someone else had a similar issue and there's advice to edit some obscure file. On Windows, I find a Microsoft Answers post with the same issue, an official answer that doesn't work, and hundreds of replies of "this doesn't work" and "I have this problem too", with the eventual solution of "back up your data and reinstall the OS".
ONE Microsoft literally has magical exes to unfuck your shit, aka microsoftfixit
TWO 90% of windows problems happen because there's a file missing
THREE "reinstalling the OS" still works on windows but not linux, if i reinstall gentoo a million times broadcom-sta still won't appear on portage.

>I'm sorry
Eh, it's no big deal.
>because GUI has neat little icons and buttons doesn't mean it's devoid of all text
Devoid of all text?

Master foo's GUI pasta wanted to tell us that GUIs are more and more lacking in text as time goes on, this is factually wrong.

gui programs are not scriptable/or composable without serious investment & maintenance from the developer. what you don't understand op is that the cost of making a stable gui is far greater than the cost of making a simple cli program, which leads to developers having to pick a handful of use cases to optimize for. these uses cases are always going to be the lowest common denominator which means only the most expensive and confusing gui apps are going to be able to even come close to giving you the power of a command line. this coincidentally is why most smartphone apps are just useless toys

>spending 5 hours to fix a problem in your OS should not give you feeling of accomplishment and "l33t tech savviness", but rather should make you think why your OS is so fragile and shitty in the first place
software will always have bugs, if you aren't on a stable long-term-support release of your os then you can probably expect weird breakages to happen, this is the price you pay for prioritizing new features over stability & security

I know mass renamers exist, and they're generally useful. However that's just one task. There are countless others that good GUI tools don't exist for, yet the OS comes with everything you need to do them on the command line.

Example I had a while ago: I had a large number of HTML files and wanted to extract all links of a certain filetype from them, prepend the domain since they're written as relative URLs,and feed them into a mass downloader.

GUIs are great for a lot of things. It's all sunshine until you run into a case the devs didn't think of. You're a lot more able to work around these deficiencies on the command line, where you can pipe tools into each other to accomplish your task.

>1.If there's something commandline does, GUI does it better
>examples: synaptic package manager, GUI file managers, GUI text editors and so on.
Save resources.

>2.spending 5 hours to fix a problem in your OS should not give you feeling of accomplishment and "l33t tech savviness", but rather should make you think why your OS is so fragile and shitty in the first place
Truth. I don't know what this relates to though.

>3.YOU CAN in fact exit the botnet, it's never been this easy.
No, not really. The nets are getting so widespread it's difficult to actually get out of it. Companies are building online profiles of individuals they don't know the names of yet in hopes to actually link those to real people at some point. Companies are using facial recognition and device sniffing technology in retail stores to identify shoppers and track them between stores and spending habits.
The botnet is now so invasive then only real exit is to throw away all technology and go live off the land somewhere.

>tfw summer is almost over

Attached: buttonok.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

>gui programs are not scriptable/or composable without serious investment & maintenance from the developer. what you don't understand op is that the cost of making a stable gui is far greater than the cost of making a simple cli program, which leads to developers having to pick a handful of use cases to optimize for. these uses cases are always going to be the lowest common denominator which means only the most expensive and confusing gui apps are going to be able to even come close to giving you the power of a command line. this coincidentally is why most smartphone apps are just useless toys
does not refute my point

>software will always have bugs, if you aren't on a stable long-term-support release of your os then you can probably expect weird breakages to happen, this is the price you pay for prioritizing new features over stability & security
then why are only a handful of linux distros able to compete windows' desktop-ness and polish? open source software is supposed to be high quality because everyone can dip his contributions in it
Here's why: effort
microshaft put their lives and souls in making windows as polished as possible because it's commercial, without it, they're bankrupt and homeless, meanwhile linux devs make no big profit from their projects

>There are countless others that good GUI tools don't exist for
yes there is , and even if there's not, that does not refute my point and just because you have something preinstalled doesn't mean you should force yourself to use it, do you see people using vi over vim/nano/emacs just because vi is preinstalled? no.
>It's all sunshine until you run into a case the devs didn't think of.
and that is?

>Save resources.
do you have 512mb of ram? the difference between cl and a minimalistic gui is negligible
>No, not really.
fucking post limit hold on let me write something for you

>3.YOU CAN in fact exit the botnet, it's never been this easy.
Enlighten us (inb4 don't use a computer)

>does not refute my point
actually it does, try reading it again

>microshaft put their lives and souls in making windows as polished as possible because it's commercial
lol? windows is not polished at all, it's loaded with bugs and security problems

>without it, they're bankrupt and homeless
or they could just go get jobs working for some other company

>linux
linux is a kernel

>devs make no big profit from their projects
most people either working on the kernel or on the various commercial distros (ubuntu, red hat, suse, etc) are being paid

>do you see people using vi over vim/nano/emacs just because vi is preinstalled? no.
Do you occasionally have to because a rescue system on read-only media has only those tools? Yes.

>and that is?
See my example of extracting a ton of links from HTML files and processing them before putting them into a downloader. Or another time I had a large list of files with their current location and name, along with what they should be renamed to and moved to -- I used gvim to convert my list into a bat file of ren and move commands. Or another time I wanted to download large files from links onto my wired NAS directly instead of over wifi and then copying it back over wifi -- I wrote a shell script for this; I could also have written a GUI or web based thing but a shell script was quicker and easier to make.

>does not refute my point
It does, really. Scripting is important. "GUI is simple, click this button, that button, save and done" is great if you have 3 things to process through it. But it becomes a real pain if you have to do it 300 times. Most people using Excel or Access in a corporate environment know the pain, and the relief when a clever person who knows VBA scripts it.

You can script GUIs with tools like AHK, but it's clunkier and more error-prone than scripting command line tools.

Alright here goes

NSA's botnet is just a dragnet operation. it would suffice to rely on HTTPS, a paid VPN, and a set of non-botnet OS and software, along with blocking analytics, you should be set.
and i don't need to tell it, delete all your online info, but i don't need to say this.

>actually it does, try reading it again
No, just because making GUI software is harder or costly does not refute my point
>lol? windows is not polished at all, it's loaded with bugs and security problems
Why are you being so dishonest now?
>linux is a kernel
non-answer, you exactly understand my point and you're dodging it.
>most people either working on the kernel or on the various commercial distros (ubuntu, red hat, suse, etc) are being paid
and "coincidentally" those are the best most widely used desktop distros, what a surprise.
also that's not the point

>Do you occasionally have to because a rescue system on read-only media has only those tools? Yes.
non-answer, how many fucking times do you fuck up your OS?
>See my example of extracting a ton of links from HTML files and processing them before putting them into a downloader.
there's a GUI program for everything

many GUI programs have the ability to automate, especially office

1st point is flatout wrong. I cant chain scripts or pipe input output or instantly run wide ranges of configurations on a task with a GUI.
2nd point is only accurate if youre solving an otherwise trivial problem. Being proud that your OS has you so cucked that you cant spend an hour tweaking a specific facet of it is retarded.
3rd point is straight up false.

>non-answer, how many fucking times do you fuck up your OS?
Not often, but when you do, I'm much better able to fix it knowing my way around the rescue environment and not just staring blankly at the screen and drooling into the keyboard.

>there's a GUI program for everything
Please advise for my examples. "Trust me, a program exists" is a non-answer. Also I've been solving these with the same small set of tools, while your solutions require another hint to find a program, another program, and another roll of the malware dice for every task.

>many GUI programs have the ability to automate, especially office
Very true, and usually through writing commands in a script. It isn't a bat file but it's in the same spirit. I thought you were advocating a GUI way to do these things, or is it GUI enough for you if I write my commands in Word, export to .txt, rename to .bat and double click it?

>NSA's botnet
Were we only talking about NSA's botnet?

>just because making GUI software is harder or costly does not refute my point
>you exactly understand my point
>also that's not the point
do you think software is free to make? do you think developers just shit out debugged code with working guis without someone having to pay for them? do you think cost should never be a factor in choosing software? because it seems like those are the only points you're trying to make which are flat out wrong

>many GUI programs have the ability to automate, especially office
office is an outlier because it is a very costly, complex and confusing piece of software, perhaps moreso than most software out there, so thanks for proving my point

I think Jow Forums censors posts with text commands for cmd unless you put them in the code script.

It's not even true, this is truly the age of disinformation.

because if you defeat it you've defeated every other botnet.

i've humored you for so long but your entire arguments only grasp at "what if i need to do [this obscure function that i've only done once in a lifetime]

we are in the age of automation and have been for the last few centuries, if your job doesn't involve constantly looking for edge cases and dealing with them, then you are going to be replaced with a machine

>synaptic package manager, GUI file managers, GUI text editors and so on.
brainled

>what if i need to do [this obscure function that i've only done once in a lifetime]
That is precisely my point. If I only have to do something once in my lifetime, I have 4 choices:
A. Hunt down some GUI tool, install it, use it, uninstall it.
B. Conclude one doesn't exist, write it, debug it, use it.
C. Do it manually even if it takes hours.
D. Kludge some command line stuff together. It's not very efficient and it's a mess but it works, was quick to "develop" and I'm only using it once anyway.

A is unreliable since the tool may not exist, or may contain malware. B is a waste of time if I'm only using it once. C is unacceptable.

Command line kludges aren't for things I'm going to do daily. I want a GUI or at least a polished script for that. But I do encounter oddball once-in-a-lifetime tasks now and then, and being able to make quick, dirty one-liners that solve them is incredibly convenient.

there's a fine line between having your argument revolve around a specific scenario and having a flat out graspy non-argument

it only proves that cl is useful for [x obscure scenario] but does not refute that GUIs are better

Attached: 8fa.jpg (369x365, 55K)

>because if you defeat it you've defeated every other botnet.
But what you just said is less than we know other botnets are doing.

> it would suffice to rely on HTTPS, a paid VPN, and a set of non-botnet OS and software, along with blocking analytics, you should be set.
and i don't need to tell it, delete all your online info, but i don't need to say this.
this works for everything, as long as you don't go parading your information on the internet, this should protect you from google, advertising companies, the government, whatever

if the fucking govt itself can't get you on it's dragnet, then neither can shitty advertising companies which are amateurs in comparison.

there were several arguments made, you just ignored them. guis are worse because they cost more for less utility

If you read my post, you're refuting my point using my point. I said that I prefer GUI for everyday tasks. But oddball tasks come up surprisingly often, and having a way to make quick work of them is very handy. I'm not advocating using mv instead of dragging a file. That would take longer. But if I have to get out AutoHotkey and work out pixel positions of controls within a window to automate a task I have to do 500 times, a shell script would be way quicker and easier.

again refer to OP, we're talking in the scope of personal usage, aka your personal experience, 99.9999% of cases GUI is better, faster and less painful to use than cli
and you're clinging to the 0.0001% trying to make an argument out of it, no, it does not refute that GUIs are better.

Light themes are better than dark themes

Java and javascript are good languages

MacOS is the best platform for software development

in my personal usage a gui is worse, slower, and more painful in 99% of cases, so you're wrong

>"works on my muhcheen but backwards"
>mmm this'll surely work

don't fucking taint my thread with your bait you steroided shemale

there was never a friendship society between OSes. It's not limited to just summer, it's always been that way.

Some things never change.

Attached: Spotted Cow.jpg (919x720, 59K)

>light themes
There is no benefit to burning your eyes at night. Sure you can use light theme on your phone if you're going to be in the sun or something but how often are you using you computer in daylight?

It's more than 0.0001% of the time for me. Maybe if all you do is watch streams and shitpost you never need it.

>everyone else's use case is the same as my own and if they say any different i'll accuse them of lying!
please return to plebbit, we don't want you here

>It's more than 0.0001% of the time for me
oh yeah, 0.001%

who are you kidding.

There's nothing on the market that even comes close to the Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

winrar is the best all in one compression software

7-zip for me. Extracts almost everything I throw at it, has good shell integration, splits and joins files, even reads partitions and files out of disk images. Also, no nags.

looks like the only one with a hard pill to swallow is you, friend

swallow this
*unzips dick*

Get out of here you zipper dicked freak

>there's something commandline does, GUI does it better
How the fuck do you not know about batch processing and automation?
Oh that's right, you're a fucking child who has never had a goddamn job or ever used a computer beyond opening a fucking browser. Kill yourself fucking bio-luminescent faggotron.

You know I'm surprised ms or Apple hasn't bought it yet.

Why would they

How does feel to have such shit, wrong opinions.

next time read the thread

I'm not denying that GUI is great the vast majority of the time. It's just that remaining part that command line makes the difference between spending all night doing a tedious repetitive thing, giving up, or spending 5-10 minutes on the command line.

Again, it doesn't come up that often, but when it does the time savings is enormous. Know your tools and you'll be better able to do stuff.

1. depends on what the user is used to, imo if someone learns and configures their terminal commands properly, they can be quicker than a gui. however that will take time and enjoying modifying configs, i use gui primarily but am learning terminal stuff, both are good.
2. issues are annoying in both windows and linux and its satisfying to fix a problem that has been taking a while to troubleshoot. most of the issues ive had on linux has been me not reading the instructions and expecting the system to work in a way it doesnt.
3. the "botnet" is in the public eye now and more people are interested in exiting it. the "botnet" has gotten worse, depending on what you're refering too, it might not be easier

Leave.

I don't understand why you can't use scripts o windows which are definitely more difficy to use but use its superior gui most of the time. Who cares if CL on windows is worse than Linux CL if you are going to almost never use it.

Automator.
Multi rename built into the finder.
Folder actions. (scriptable actions upon file saved or moved into folder).
etc etc etc.

Attached: bullshit.jpg (2000x500, 199K)

>gui package managers
delet this
>gui file managers
subjective, i like CLI more
>gui text editors
ed is the standard editor

Attached: auxcmdo-lssm.png (498x312, 3K)

lmao are you seriously comparing that crap to imagemagick? IM is LEAGUES ahead in terms of options.

eternal september

>1.If there's something commandline does, GUI does it better
1.If there's something the GUI does, Emacs does it better.
examples: magit, dired/sunrise-commander, Emacs and so on.

Attached: 27907992_951881871661391_5165946211433868105_o.jpg (960x1280, 156K)

lmao are you seriously comparing automator actions from companies like Adobe to imagemagick? Automator actions from major vendors is LEAGUES ahead in terms of options.

Also, when's the last time a company used IM to modify graphics. lol. yer a fucking moron that doesn't get the point.

i have used imagemagick many times on the backend because it makes no fucking sense to install photoshop on a server just to automate some image processing, comparing photoshop to imagemagick is apples to oranges
also your picture is a shit example because even there imagemagick supports more options (preserving aspect ratio, only shrink, etc) compared to the default apple actions

What the fuck does this have to do with the FUCKING TOPIC you autistic fuck.

Having no UI is better than having a GUI or CLI

because he doesn't waste his time with GUIs :^)

>this is all it takes for Jow Forums to get in a 200 reply argument over obvious bait
Newfags leave

OP will have difficult time trying to swallow these :^p

Attached: n6.jpg (250x379, 23K)

depends on the problem. i prefer shell scripting to working with text editor for mass text manipulation.

Moving vast amounts of files to different directories is NOT easier in a GUI, go fuck yourself.

It is often the most sensible route to scripting. Or are you thinking of Windows Script Host, which is a pain in the ass? Or VBA, which is like ALMOST capable of doing most things, but is clunky. Or Powershell, which works for command line like things but is messy and can't interact with GUIs.

AutoHotkey is the way to go if you have to interact with anything GUI. Other than that, either WSL or bash and some GNU utilities compiled as normal exe work nicer.

Summer doesn't change the userbase you cock juggling thunder cunt, it is always this retarded.

Summerfag detected.
c u next june/july

As to OP - I won't bother with examples but with bash completion there is literally dozens of tasks I do day to day that take me seconds to perform but if I had to do them with gui or on windows I'd have to either have there on muh desktop of scroll thru menus and the open them, click the things i want and then do it.

I think there's a real generational thing here - most of my gen (x) grew up using keyboards if anything and mice kinda came later
gen-y have had mice all their lives and millennials (muh kids) use a screen based keyboard on a device more than anything
I am generalising btw

But it stands to reason that older people use more keyboard commands than younger.

Attached: 10033644-3x2-940x627.jpg (940x627, 57K)