Purism

Anyone know about these guys?

Attached: 2017-06-20-09.12.43.jpg (1500x842, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/product-tag/clearance/
lemote.kd85.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Anyone know about these guys?
you've got "being vague" down to an art form, user

Good but heavily overpriced

Specifically they use coreboot and are able to neutralize the intel me; I thought that was not possible?

Supposedly people poking at the ME hound a "high assurance platform" setting. Presumably because Intel sells chips not only to consumers and businesses but also to governments who worry about the ME for the same reason we do. They just don't deign to give us plebs the ability to turn it off, either because they just don't care, or because they got told not to. But the functionality's still there, and they think they found a way to make the ME kick itself into high-assurance mode, which essentially disables it after the boot process is finished. We think.

so this leads me to another thought; then does that mean even w/ libreboot on the thinkpads that the IME is still enabled? I'm kinda new to this stuff; trying to learn.

Bullshit, they don't provide circuit layout.

The Thinkpads with Libreboot had a version of the ME where you could literally just wipe it and the hardware wouldn't give a shit. On anything more modern than Core2Duo, removing entirely the ME puts the machine into a reboot loop. Every 30 minutes the machine will reboot.

>muh circuit layout
what hardware even does offer this?

ok got it. thanks.

Purism are unironically based and redpilled.

The price is a fair negative, but they're a small startup in the bay area with a fairly niche exposure, so it's ok-ish. They have great trackpads on the librems.
Also, a lot of people are aware of their librem 5 project since it's unique.

They currently got a sale going on for older configs with laptops starting from $999 : puri.sm/product-tag/clearance/

GuixSD represent.

Attached: back.jpg (3021x1152, 652K)

no problem
Honestly I think getting a Purism is a better idea than an old memepad. Buying brand new hardware that offers privacy protections tells the market "Hey! There's a dedicated group of autists who will gladly pay to not get spied on." I don't think buying used laptops on ebay sends the same message.

>what hardware even does offer this?
Many. C64 had schematics available. ZX Spectrum...
Even Apple has schematics [spoiler]for ''internal'' use, but still[/spoiler]
And man, they are speaking about freedom. I don't believe in freedom without schematics. No repair freedom, no 'no hardware backdoors' freedom.

>C64
>ZX Spectrum
OH BOY I CAN TOTALLY USE THOSE FOR MODERN EVERYDAY USE!!

Where did he imply that, you sperglet?

You don't seem to understand.
At this point it is just overpriced chink shit with libreboot. No freedom.
No point. I can order librebooted crapbook from china cheaper. And maybe I'll get schematics with it.

>At this point it is just overpriced chink shit with libreboot. No freedom.
So you're saying there's absolutely no privacy and security advantage to having one of these over just any recently released HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, etc lappy with a proprietary boot firmware and a fully enabled ME? I beg to differ.
>I can order librebooted crapbook from china cheaper. And maybe I'll get schematics with it.
Can you now?? I'd like to see proof of this.

Keep in mind that Purism manages to have the setup that it has, on the skylake platform. It's not another C2D machine.

not the user you're talking to, but

>Can you now?? I'd like to see proof of this.
lemote.kd85.com/

I've owned one myself.

>So you're saying there's absolutely no privacy and security advantage
I'll tell you a different reason why there's no privacy or security on ANY machine:

All modern hard drives have micro-operating systems physically built into the drives. These embedded systems cannot be removed. These micro-operating systems have the ability to cache data from YOUR operating system and send it back home to alphabet agencies.

>tl;dr
You have no privacy or security because micro embedded operating systems are physically built into all hard drives now. Don't believe me? Google it for ten minutes and do some reading. Game's over.

Attached: Photo Jul 28, 9 53 58 PM.jpg (1622x1447, 939K)

someone review this already

>All modern hard drives have micro-operating systems physically built into the drives.
same w/ usb thumb drives then too?

I'm waiting for the phone. I have a feeling it's going to be indefinitely delayed, and probably function as well as the ubuntu phone (at most)

>1GHz CPU cores
>2x1GB DDR2, support 2x2GB DDR2
>1366x768
wew

Stallman style circa 2007

It's really the Jow Forums laptop, with those privacy autism-switches, and support for free-as-freedom GNU+Linux-libre distros out of the box. With heads in firmware TPM & coreboot with me_cleaner.
Too bad that everyone on Jow Forums, outside of /v/ and apple fanboiz, are primarily poorfags, so can't even afford their perfect laptop.

I love the freedom, and the killswitches. But though I haven't tried it, that keyboard does not look good. The (old, x20-and-earlier) Thinkpads were the last laptops to have even vaguely acceptable keys and layouts. And it bothers me that even on the 15" model they included five USB ports, an HDMI output, an SD reader, and a headphone jack, but they couldn't be bothered with a fucking ethernet port. "use a dongle lol". I can't tell you how much this bothers my autism.

That and PureOS is a customized version of Ubuntu with GNOME. I'd have to figure out how all their TPM-enabled secure boot magic works so I could rip that off and install plain-vanilla Debian with a decent DE.

PureOS is an FSF-endorsed GNU/Linux distro based on *Debian Testing* with latest Gnome 3. No Ubuntu anywhere near it. They work with upsteam as much as possible according to Purism.

Well, consider me corrected then. I'd still want a non-GNOME DE though, and more importantly I'd much rather have stable than testing. I doubt the former would be that big of a problem, but the latter would need a reinstall.

PureOS is ok I've ran it before. Definitely not minimal though. It tries to have a lot of goodies already in place for the linux migrants, similar to what Ubuntu wants to do.

They use Debian Testing, but they have their own buffer repos, where they hold package for another 10 days I believe, to make sure that there are no broken compatibility or dependencies. PureOS should be considered stable-as-in-no-crashes Debian testing.

You can of course do anything to it as you can with any debian, that includes adding contrib and nonfree testing or sid repos, getting rid of gnome and installing anything in its place and installing any and all proprietary software as one may want.

Purism basically provides a "safe" mirror of testing's main repo, but all the other repos are still compatible and everything works smoothly in this purefrankendebian.

purism hipsters make mactards look like reasonable individuals with how smug they get over being too dumb to install libreboot on a ThinkPad

Skylake vs Core2Due, yeah pass on that shit.

They should be releasing something by the end of this year, start of 2019, with either 8/9th gen intels or at least /some/ kind of an update.

Enjoy using your crum-crusted librevirginpad. I'm enjoying my corebooted x230 too

Attached: 1531696355283.jpg (1024x3747, 391K)

In what way are they "unironically based and redpilled"?

No, Libreboot replaces the IME completely. The blob doesn't exist in the ROM.

why the fuck are you using a laptop at all if performance is important to you
the thousands of dollars you'd blow on this pretentious Apple wannabe shit could instead be put towards proper free as in freedom hardware like a Talos II that will blow your pathetic lowvolt shitlake garbage out of the water all day long

enjoy getting backdoored on your proprietary garbage while they laugh all the way to the bank

How the fuck will this even compete against Apple and Google?

Attached: purism_1.png (714x1377, 47K)