/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1533170180105.png (835x1080, 875K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VrDnTXqoqjM
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1756242&extra=page=1&filter=digest&digest=1
weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2247042080
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw $300 w541 on sunday

install gentoo

install arch linux

x220 is nice and comfy size. decent enough cpu. running freeBSD. zfs runs like shit, zfs w/encryption is dog shit. ufs was snappy and rivaled even my most recent purchases in usability.

Guys, I can get a thinkpad x301 in excellent condition for $90. Should I do it?

51nb x62 motherboard restock when?

Attached: madrunner.jpg (437x431, 28K)

Fuck that, X62 Tablet when.
I'm willing to pay $1k for the board alone.

>freeBSD
you get a better OS if you pay for it

name two

I don't know if they'll ever do that but it would be awesome. They're working on something though, pulled this from their blog.

Attached: screen-capture.png (815x358, 38K)

unironically more cancerous and cultish than apple faggots, lenove hasn't made any good hardware in a decade

Absolutely.

what's better cuck licker?

Tell me why not to get an X1 Carbon

Soldered RAM

Well if it's an upgraded X60t, X61t or even a 16:10 like the X200t then i'll buy it, 10 years later and there are no upgrades from this thing whatsoever.

most laptops are built like trash but these thinkpads released this decade are literally worse than acer

i had a hp business laptop that was great but that was a decade ago too so I dunno if they're still good. i wish i could have that one back, and a lenovo x200s...

>Tfw $275 dollar w520 on Thursday

Attached: Etna.png (1280x1660, 732K)

>$90
is it missing a hard drive? that's an even better deal if it does, you can put an SSD in it without having an unused hard drive laying around afterwards

>remembered the title this time
Good man

Anyone know the best brand to look out for on batteries? I bought a new battery a while back but they're so old by now that they only hold a 75% original charge. I'd be willing to buy chink batteries or even swap out my own cells if it's cheaper to do that. X61s btw.
>pic semi related

Attached: x61s.jpg (1024x768, 154K)

I said a better OS not two better operating systems

Does anyone have experience rebuilding laptop batteries?
youtube.com/watch?v=VrDnTXqoqjM

I want to try this because new batteries are too expensive but I'm not sure if it will work on my thinkpad T430.

reminder that thinkpads are meme machines that only IT personnel use.

- Si03 sleep fucks up battery life (wifi always connected while on "sleep", supposed to be better so you can wake up the PC fast but battery life takes a HUGE hit).
- The HDR screen is not actually HDR. Good screen nonetheless if glossy is ok for you for some weird reason. Lenovo cucks are just so desperate for a good screen that the glossy HDR screen gets so much fanboy love, but glossy and business machine do not mix.
- Hinge alignment is an issue, screen being scratched by the keyboard. It's a lottery, enough people have complained about it that we know it's definitely not an isolated issue, but not everyone is affected either.
- fucked ports. No ethernet port, only microsd, plus other usual compromises for ultrabooks.

Is this also possible with internal batteries

windows 7 and windows 10

What is better about the T430 over the x230 besides maybe the bigger screen and higher resolution?

an extra drive slot
processor upgradeable to quad core
nvidia dgpu on some models
that's it

Is x270 for $700 good enough?

Will 51nb run a new batch of x62 motherboard?
Will they make possible to mod an iPad Retina Panel on it?

Everyone here will just tell you it's not good because it doesn't look like their bricks but X1s are fine. Try to find one that isn't 3rd gen and you'll be fine.

Controllers on thinkpad batteries crap out when they detect a voltage drop product of cell manipulation.

The speakers are slightly better

My T70 is making loud popping noises for about a minute every time I close the lid to suspend it. Is that a known issue? Everything else is running 100% perfect and I'm very satisfied. Not even having any overheating/throttling issues (even with scientific computational work)

I've got an X280 coming in the mail today

i5 8250u
16gb RAM
512gb SSD
FHD touch display
etc etc

How badly did I fuck up?

I don't think they will be doing any table models.
>That date
I can only think of the x210

>x220 is nice and comfy size. decent enough cpu. running freeBSD

have you managed to get video output from DisplayPort, or it's borked?

Some new(ish) T-series weigh about the same.
T > X

>get a refurbished T430
>advertised that it comes with a 2-hour abttery
>try it for a couple of months
>it's accurate
>want to get a new battery to have 4-5 hours of use
>contact the seller to ask their advice
>"Unfortunately the batteries do vary, even new ones last different lengths of time so we would be unsure on this."

What do? I could get a 9Cell but they look pigfat.
Can a regular 6 cell lenovo battery last 3-4 hours?

Attached: large?v=1.0&px=999.jpg (999x666, 64K)

>X280
Probably the worst out of nupads.

This isn't hard...
>measure time it takes for your battery to empty
>look up current amount of mAh your battery has with some piece of software
>calculate what mAh you need for the x hours you want

Just buy the biggest one.

...Why is it so hard for Lenovo to say on their product pages "this battery will last about this time with heavy use".

Don't know, they probably don't want to make any claims about it otherwise people come bitching when theirs doesn't meet their expectations.

How could I empty the battery without using the thing?

You don't need to. You already know your battery works for 2 hours. Get software for you OS to read the current mAh.

The mAh is not what it says in the bottom of the battery?
I think you know what you are saying. The mAh changes as the battery degrades? Interesting.

Yes, exactly. For windows batteryinfoview will give you the current rating.

Thnx doge. Will have a look and see where this goes.

Attached: 1470764985064.webm (640x640, 378K)

Is this good?
Will I see a good difference with a new Lenovo 6cell 70+ battery for T430?

Attached: battstats.jpg (1600x846, 143K)

Getting impatient. When are the new A series laptops releasing damnit? Chromebook only does so much.

>fully charged 25000
>designed for full charge 56 000

I guess that is my problem.

Look at battery health, 44%. So with a new one of the same kind (this battery had 56160 mWh when new) of battery you will have more than 2x the capacity thus also double the battery life.

Just found a near perfect Z61m
From what I can tell it's got a 32 bit cpu and everything is working ok.

Anyone know if this is still usable?

Attached: 12048.jpg (1260x945, 101K)

tell them to get ryzen mobile or ryzen embedded.

ManDE is the best os.

Just looked up the specs for the 70+ 6cell, basically the same as you have now with 57000mWh. So yeah you will see a lot of improvement. Basically you're running on less than half of a battery now. (okay, the battery might be uncalibrated now which will give you incorrect numbers but I doubt they differ much from the actual capacity)

There's some guy selling a brand new T470 for roughly half its launch price. It is probably as good of a deal as one will get but the dual core is really putting me off. Do you think I should go for it anyway? Guess I could always SSH to my desktop for heavy compilations...

Guys, I want a cheap laptop with a FHD IPS screen as a secondary device.
I currently use a EliteBook 2560p as my second laptop but the dark TN 768p display is horrible.
Thinking about buying a T440s.
What do you think, is it a good device?
It has very good ratings on sites like notebookcheck

Makes sense. Thinkpad users are good guys.
I think they might have been calibrated becasue the shop I got it seemed to be very thorough and with experience servicing exbusiness Thinkpads.

Attached: 1507921060883.jpg (691x1024, 92K)

I'd do it. Those machines have the best cooling system of any dual core notebook out there and practically never throttle.

Is there libreboot+qubes os compatible thinkpads
(coreboot or other business laptops are ok) ?

what do you mean by launch price?
half of launch price is still overpriced as fuck

The newer thinkpads had a sale a few weeks ago where it was essentially 45% off the web price, and I think you can expect the same or possibly even better on Black Friday. Keep in mind many upgrades prices have already been lowered since launch with Lenovo (except for T480, it's still retardedly priced to upgrade to an i7-8650u compared to other models like the T480s or T580).

I would not go for it. 7th gen intel machines are the most pitiful right now, the T25 was unfortunate.

>T25 was unfortunate
That's true, if they only used an 8th gen cpu it would've been a much more compelling product, at 7th gen it was dead on arrival.

Just to confirm, here's a comparison to the T480, both laptops only differ in the CPU used. European prices suck btw.

T470, i5-7300U - $900
T480, i5-8250U - $1480

2 vs 4 physical cores, im waiting for the Ryzen memepad

those prices are hideous, i'm hesitating on an i7/MX150 T480s at ~$1300 here.

I don't think it's worth it to get either one unless you need a laptop right away. Countdown to black friday is already on.

Where would I go for Black Friday deals in Europe? Local shops only use it as an excuse to get rid of old stock. There is never a meaningful discount on anything new or desirable. Plus there's no official Lenovo store, no configurations, no student discounts whatsoever.

There are student discounts for laptops in germany, I have I7/MX150/WQHD T480s imported from there and it set me back about 1200$.

look ma! I posted it again! XDDDDD

T480s with Ubuntu? Good idea?

ok i know this is the thinkpad general but are you sure that thinkpads are the best option for your region? Have you checked if you can better bang-for-buck with other brands like the Dell Latitude/Precision or HP Elitebooks?

only problem with dell latitude is that the CPU comes with a smaller heatsink so performance does take a distinct hit compared to the T480s, but if you're getting a T480 w/ no dgpu then you'll only be getting a single heatsink. Keyboard will also be a pain to replace like the X1C6 on a latitude but eh, you go where you get your money's worth.

sorry i dont really understand euro woes with pricing. Boggles my mind. Do you guys just have more buying power with wages or something

Hello /tpg/. Today I fucked up. I spilled water over my T60 a month ago, but after taking it apart thought came to the conclusion that nothing was broken.
Yesterday I updated the kernel, which made the machine produce terrible noise and gave crazy errors and made me really scared. I took the machine apart, didn't find anything suspicious and put it back together. Today I reinstalled manjaro and everything seemed to work, until I pulled the cord out, which made it turn off instantly and now I can't make it work on battery.
What could have gone wrong on the motherboard? I wasn't able to find any info on this particular issue anywhere. /tpg/, I beg your help.

>euro woes with pricing
Taxes, enforced longer warranty, more taxes and regulations so yeah, shit's expensive here.

You should see latin american pricing, a new thinkpad costs the same as 4 months of salary and we don't even have european living standards, all the tax money goes to corrupt politicians.

>Do you guys just have more buying power with wages or something
Not really. The US actually has some of the highest buying power in the world, most European countries are significantly behind it. Here in Germany everything tech related is generally a solid 20% more expensive while you also have less money left over after your living expenses.
All that extra cash flows into taxes for shit like welfare and public healthcare. Americans always seem to look over to us and praise our system, but I'd much rather have the choice between all that extra cash (around 110€ a month with my current salary) and healthcare, here it's absolutely mandatory and you are actually just straight up breaking the law if you aren't insured.

>boot shaped enter key

Attached: EwThatsGross.gif (200x270, 1.09M)

The best enter key, I'm glad my spanish keyboard has it.

its already out m9
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1756242&extra=page=1&filter=digest&digest=1

>small backspace key

Attached: puke.jpg (433x468, 21K)

there is

Anyone got any thoughts on a T400 vs X200? I have a T430 already, but my wife had an old MacBook 2,1 in storage that I have been messing around with,and librebooted it. Making me want a libreboot thinkpad that would suffice for daily use and web dev work.

x200, libreboot is hard to do on it but you can upgrade the motherboard when it becomes obsolete

>tfw paid 485 USD for w520 last year

I love it, except for the battery life, and sinking feeling that I ripped myself off...

Honestly, looking at the specs, it's better than the T510 I have now by magnitudes of orders (which literally had it's CMOS battery get it's checksum so fucked up, the BIOS password I put doesn't work anymore)

Hm, what exactly do you mean you can upgrade the motherboard? I have not heard this before.

w-why?
''never pay more than $200 on a thinkpad''
-Sun Tzu Art of War

dude, it says at the top. read op's post
weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2247042080

Attached: 080228igljmsllj7zkr7s0.jpg.thumb.jpg (800x534, 35K)

money is money.

losing money on bitcoin and weed stocks, i don't even bat an eye anymore on spending $1000+ on a nu-thinkpad. Shit i'll just wait for my ETFs to recover my losses.

Please help

Attached: 1527813633257.jpg (1248x902, 143K)

Looking at a listing for an X200, looks to be in good condition save for this "little piece of plastic" as the seller put it. Is this something I can buy a replacement for, and if so, what part is it?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1061x663, 54K)

Never buy an X-series. You will fucking regret it. The screens are fucking terrible and everything about them is enraging. Save up more money and buy a T430 and an aliexpress FHD kit. Stop wasting money on this garbage. I've had an X200 for 2 years as my only computer and have felt nothing but rage when using it.

I'm posting from a T430 with an old keyboard, and and X1 screen mod. I'm just looking for a librebootable toy.

Then get a 4:3 T60.

>Not only trash talks the x series, but also recommends a fucking **30 model
you're probably the biggest brainlet ITT bud

If I just plan on doing programming and maybe watching anime/light web browsing, is there a reason to go for the X230 over the X220?

The T430 is great with out of the box support for 3-rd gen cpus and usb3. I have a classic keyboard, a 9 cell battery and FHD display in mine.
How's your garbage X220 doing?

such as?
price literally doesn't matter