Honesty question for all non americans users

honesty question for all non americans users
should I use all my programs in en-us?
English is not my first language

Attached: 1531630596628.png (500x646, 97K)

Yes

Attached: Screenshot_20180731-004254.png (1920x1080, 989K)

based and redpilled

en-gb if you want to use the correct version of the language.

English is the only language tho

realistically the only other locale that may be useful is ja-JP

Do not fall for this meme. They're 99,9% the same but GB has less support.

Nope. Only if you intend to show your logs to other people.
A shit load of software isn't localized anyway.

>when the grubbins meets the gibbons just right, wot

Yes, because it's generally more supported

Sadly, but only because compatibility reasons.
Blame the market.

yes. I hate it when software deciides to set shit to dutch.

It is much easier for learning and troubleshooting and unless you are french or italian (mental defect for learning languages) there is no excuse for eurofags not to

>mental defect for learning languages

Attached: 322.gif (250x255, 2.84M)

Burger here, forcing yourself to use a language that you aren’t fluent in is the best way to learn it.
British tears are the most delicious.

Attached: E72B6DBB-A633-47A3-82F4-AE980E48575C.jpg (795x608, 125K)

yes but use en-gb. Ameriburgers are cunts.

Obviously

Attached: 1532045131229.jpg (1200x1386, 118K)

yes, localizations are usually bad

Can someone walk me through using a japanese keyboard along my US one on Arch? I read the wiki and all but there's a shitload of programs they recommend and nothing really seems to work

No

Attached: 2018-08-03 00.23.58.jpg (3264x2448, 969K)

We're not talking about keyboard input.

There's either English (en-gb) or English Simplified (en-us). If you're from a french speaking area English will be better for you.

See

Speaking from experience yes, you should always use english. Mostly because the localisations tend to be broken and if you encounter an error it's easier to solve them not to mention if you're new to the software most tutorials are in english anyways.

every input method works just try to read carefully i use ibus instructions are on arch wiki

where you are from, if don't mind?

en_DK is the best locale

en_DK has:
* American spelling
* ISO 8601 date format (see Japan)
* 24 hour clock
* Metric units

Attached: 1507554733271.jpg (240x240, 11K)

enlightened folks use en-zw

Attached: sportidab.jpg (738x795, 57K)

de_DE

Attached: linux-mint-12.jpg (700x525, 95K)

Do it, it's a great way to get more used to the language. All my systems are in french, currently, because that's the language I'm learning at the moment.

thanks.
I have mostly used en_gb up until now, for slightly saner locales compared to en_us.
Two questions:
Does en_dk use a dot or a comma as decimal separator? (2.000,1 or 2,000.1?)
Do programs reliably fall back to en_us if the locale is not provided, or are there situations where da_dk would be used as fallback?

en_DK uses comma as the decimal separator but you can mix locales
declare -x LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_MEASUREMENT="en_DK.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_NUMERIC="en_DK.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_PAPER="en_DK.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_TIME="en_DK.UTF-8"

>Do programs reliably fall back to en_us if the locale is not provided, or are there situations where da_dk would be used as fallback?
Not sure though I assume the language (en_) takes precedence over the variant (_DK)

en_DK uses comma as the decimal separator but you can mix locales

declare -x LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_MEASUREMENT="en_DK.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_PAPER="en_DK.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_TIME="en_DK.UTF-8"

>Do programs reliably fall back to en_us if the locale is not provided, or are there situations where da_dk would be used as fallback?
Not sure though I assume the language (en_) takes precedence over the variant (_DK)

that sounds perfect.
I do mix en_us and de_de when I can. But, working with heavily modified redhat environments, I have seen so often stuff go wrong with this, where in some contexts the locales aren't set correctly, or environment don't obey the locales that were set (and it always means hours of sifting through crusty shell scripts that were devised by some mongoloid one and a half decades ago), that I have largely given up on the concept and just try to set one sane locale at every turn, so that people can't see that really the whole env has gone to shit.

No.

yes, some things will inevitably be in english anyways so set everything to english for consistency

LC_TIME="en_DK.UTF-8"
is the best in my opinion. Most programs then display dates like YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM, including graphical file managers

LC_PAPER="en_DK.UTF-8"
makes A4 paper the default in printer settings

>superiority
>national language is literally a dumbed down version of another language

so?