/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

>Post your questions here

>Read
>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
>pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
>pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
>pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
>pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: 08e.jpg (308x326, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com
amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z08VH8G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3K929QT0IENFR&psc=1
nyaa.si/?f=0&c=2_1&q=&s=seeders&o=desc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

will we ever see a real umpc revival and not just indie abandonware??

nope it's dead jim

We've got the GPD Pocket 1/2, Gemini PDA, KSPRO. Even if everything coming out is somewhat disappointing, I think it's made UMPCs relevant again. I really wish UMPCs and laptops would use 60% keyboard layouts. They're already screwing with standard keyboard layouts to fit it in a smaller footprint, but they often remove normal keys like - = [] ;' and waste a bunch of keys on arrow keys.

Is there a good resource for upgrading an existing pc vs building a new one? Like one tha discusses part age and shit? I want to upgrade my current build but I'm worried it's already too old.

is there anything wrong with -Og optimization flag for debugging C/C++? it's obviously way faster than -O0 and the promise to not strip anything important for debugging is what's desired, but I've never seen it recommended beside very few less relevant places

you kind of already are on a website like that and /sqt/ is the place to ask.
how old is your shitbox anyway

You'll be limited by the CPU socket on your motherboard if you want a new CPU. Your total supported RAM is set in stone by the motherboard as well. You can probably use any GPU if it's somewhat recent, but if your motherboard uses an old revision of PCI-Express, it may limit the bandwidth of higher end GPUs, and you may need a better power supply to power a more powerful GPU. Tell me about your build and what you want to upgrade.

Depends, what hardware do you have? This is precisely the right place to get answers for these types of questions.

Posted in the last thread but couldnt get an answer. Every shitty malware scan I've done detects nothing, trying to google an answer is no help because once you include "cnet" anywhere in the search terms it just brings up shitty cnet articles.

How do I get rid of this shit? I have no cnet programs or utilities in my programs folder, haven't been to cnet in probably like 5+ years (way before I got this laptop), and cnet's bullshit is the only popup like this that I get.

Its annoying me so much that its getting to the point where Im thinking about nuking my drive and starting over fresh

Attached: cnet is trash.png (635x748, 85K)

Intel core i5 760, Radeon HD 5800, only 4 gigs of ram, ASUS motherboard. My uncle built it awhile ago, some user said it should be dying soon.

you most have "allow notifications from cnet" in your browser by accident. I would clear all browser data besides saved passwords and that should take care of it.

So would one of those cheap j5005 nucs be good enough, all I want is to learn linux webserver stuff on it.
And maybe host some naughty websites when I get better at web dev

I'd say build a new one. the cpu alone is like 8 years old

Attached: 8 years old.jpg (1226x516, 56K)

You can get an 1156 Xeon pretty cheap, it will cost you more for an i7. If you have an overclocking motherboard it is probably still going to be relevant for at least another 2 years if you OC (with a 4c/8t cpu). You should be able to install up to 16GB of DDR3 (which is cheaper now and 16GB is more than enough), as far as the GPU, nothing lower than a GTX 1070 or RX Vega 56 is gonna bottleneck too hard on a 3.5+ GHz quad core.

Fucking exactly. I was trying to convince myself to build a new one but I wasn't sure. Thanks anons. It is old as fuck yeah.

If your a poorfag, Find a used Haswell system and upgrade it. You can get a decent mid range system that's even capable of gayming for under 300 USD. It wont be as cheap or future-proof as a Ryzen build.

if your a really poorfag and don't want to start from scratch these are all viable upgrades with your current system:

Is my hard drive kill? I don't know how to read this and my computer is being slow lately

Attached: Capture.jpg (931x795, 152K)

If you got to pcpartpicker.com and add in your motherboard (should be the biggest limiter in terms of what you can and can't upgrade) and make sure the compatibility feature is selected, you will only be given components that are compatable with each other. Also worth noting, your case itself could be a compatibility issue with whatever GPU you want to get (what Im assuming you want to upgrade) since some are fucking massive and wont fit in some cases unless you have a grinder or are good with a set of tin snips.

Hopefully that fixes it, thanks

>87°F
Do you live in a fucking volcano?! The tests results don't seem too bad, assuming this is a HDD. If this is a HDD, time to take the solid-state-pill.

everything says "good"

ks pro never got enough funding

computer parts usually measure in celcius. 30C is fine. good, even.

Ah, okay. I quickly checked my 'umpc' bookmark folder to get the name. Didn't pay that much attention to it.

Oh shit, your right. I feel like a brainlet all of a sudden.

My Steelseries Rival 700 mouse fell on the floor the other day, and now the right click literally won't work/cliick. Left click still works fine, and I even detached the top cover and tested the small buttons underneath, both click fine. But when I put the button cover back on, right click is stuck for some reason. I don't see anything wrong, it just doesn't work.

Is there a way to fix this? Or do I have to get a new mouse? Is this a case of Steelseries being shit?

So two of the libraries in my sepples project have conflicting typedef definitions meaning openCV is incompatible with just about every library to ever exist because it's int64 is different from the norm.

How do I force cmake to compile one part of the project with one library and the other part with another so that they don't conflict?

How long does it take until my youtube strikes dissapear? I've seen it happen with other accounts but I'm not sure how long it takes or if it still happens. Thanks. Not copyright strikes it was for basically nothing.

Attached: 45288528585258425842.jpg (300x168, 7K)

Is TeamViewer okay to use?

I want to play some light games like Civilization V or Wargame, but I will be away from my main PC at home. Possible devices that I would use to link is a MacBook Pro, Android mobile, and a really old iPad. I've asking because I've seen my friend do the same 2 years ago, but with Runescape.

Otherwise, any alternative applications?

Attached: o4wymzo1wZ1rm67aco1.png (1260x1080, 81K)

i accidentally downloaded some pirated software from p2p, installed it on my macintosh and later logged into my linux server

what is the likelihood that my linux server is compromised?

Attached: 4chanLineTrap.jpg (591x599, 54K)

I used Palemoon no problem, until I installed uMatrix in it once and Youtube stopped working forever. The videos have audio, but the screen is blank/black. I've tried disabling it and even a clean reinstall, and nothing. What do?

what's the point of tarsnap if the only benefit i'm getting is a mere ~0.8% reduction from their fancy deduplication?

or ~13% when compressed. still too little i think

Is there not a single free hypervisor that doesn't suck shit?

Attached: 6e3ecee-1.jpg (2896x2896, 469K)

If I buy a new phone that is compatible with my network can I plug in my current SIM card and just roll with it without consequence from Verizon?

How do you tell if your phone is unlocked? I got mine through verizon and apparently their newer phones are all unlocked but I want to be sure before I leave the country.

Attached: 3807748333.jpg (205x246, 8K)

you can use it. like there is no password to input. or if it is a iphone 10 there is a padlock on center top which is unlocked when the phone is unlocked. not really sure about verizon never used that

Go to a mall kiosk from another provider like virgin or fido or some shit and ask them to put one of their dummy sims in. If it works then its unlocked, if it says "invalid sim" then its carrier locked.

I dont know about the US, but in Canada a law was passed last year prohibiting carriers from selling locked phones, and if you have a locked phone from an old plan, you can call to have it unlocked for free at any time. All you need is your current sim, or your IMEI code. In the case of Iphones you may need to plug it into your computer and open up itunes to allow it to be unlocked.

if it's compatible I don't see why not, you could always just ask verizon though.

Just get a droplet at digital ocean.

So I just build my first PC with a ryzen 1300x on winblows 10. I downloaded all the drivers. Now when I check from the control panel, I have a program called "AMD Software". Is it the actual driver or some useless bloatware that came with the drivers that I can safely uninstall?

Built*

I changed the charging port on my phone and now my pc computer won't recognize it(it charges but thats it)
reinstalled all the drives too and nothing happens

Is there still no alternative for downthemall for that new firefox?

I need either a USB wi-fi adapter or a Wi-Fi PCI Card for my motherboard which is a GA-H110M-A (rev. 1.0) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0.
My internet speed as of right now is 39 mbps up and 6 mbps up. Should I go for the usb adapter or a PCI card? I'll spend more money if a PCI card is nice and reliable and won't fail on me, but that doesn't mean I won't buy a USB. How do I know which PCI card/usb(apparently these work with most mobos but I'm not sure) to buy for my motherboard? When I google it I don't get anything that tells me exactly what PCI card to buy. Was thinking of buying this USB.
amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z08VH8G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3K929QT0IENFR&psc=1

Can someone give me some suggestions for reputable online source to learn Python for beginners? I have no experience at all, but want to learn.

From what I've heard, Python seems to be a good language for beginners. I would like to move on to C after I gain some proficiency within it. Also, how long did it take some of you to gain a reputable amount of skill within a programming language in order to get hired somewhere?

Thinking of becoming a Virtual Youtuber, what's a good voice changer

Attached: mmd___chibi_miku_2___download_by_aira_melody-d6jyofe.png (518x503, 142K)

I'm new to PDO and Web dev in general.
This thing doesn't throw an error but in my database the insert never happens.
$base = new PDO('mysql:host=localhost; dbname=something','root','');
$stmt = $base->prepare("INSERT INTO anything VALUES (null, :a, :b, :c, :d, :e, :f, :g, :h, :i, :j, :k, :l)");
$stmt->bindParam(':a', $_POST["m"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':b', $_POST["n"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':c', $_POST["o"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':d', $_POST["p"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':e', $_POST["q"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':f', $_POST["r"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':g', $_POST["s"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':h', $_POST["t"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':i', $_POST["u"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':j', $_POST["v"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':k', $_POST["w"]);
$stmt->bindParam(':l', $$_POST["x"]);
$stmt->execute();

Considering that most software today is being developed in high-level garbage-collected languages, what's the future of Reverse Engineering as a profession? Does it have a future at all?

Attached: Screenshot_016.png (684x178, 105K)

Also I can do print_r($_POST) and it shows everything fine and with a value.

Since I keep getting ignored in /tpg/

If I just plan on doing programming and maybe watching anime/light web browsing, is there a reason to go for the X230 over the X220?

can you add a breakpoint, step through it and check if it actually runs there?

im trying to make an acces point with an old router. i have turned dhcp off the old router and change its ip but for some reasons ny devices wont connect to it. any help?

do i configure a dhcp static configuration with dhcp off?

I want to set up Raid 1 on my desktop, would it be alright to use an external drive to do this? One of those 4TB WD's that plug into the wall for its own power supply probably. Secondly, if my main drive is only 1TB, would I be able to use the remaining space on the 4TB drive to store other stuff?

Attached: 1493508460645.gif (540x540, 682K)

what's Jow Forums's preferred method of adding to their music library?

only way I know right now is ripping from youtube, but now that I fixed the fatcory standard subwoofer in my car some of that music sounds flat

Attached: 1530543149036.png (242x235, 16K)

nyaa.si/?f=0&c=2_1&q=&s=seeders&o=desc
Enjoy

Attached: takahashi.png (183x183, 49K)

>I want to set up Raid 1 on my desktop,
No.
>would it be alright to use an external drive to do this
No.
>would I be able to use the remaining space on the 4TB drive to store other stuff?
NO.

Please read up on what raid actually is, the pros and the cons of it, before you make another post.

It runs through the whole thing, the printing part is at the end of the page.

Bumping.

Attached: 1493282827434.jpg (4080x5436, 3.02M)

Since installing violentmonkey.Ever webpages takes up to a minute "Waiting for extenion VIolentmonkey".
I only hav 4chanx installed as a script.
Why does violentmonkey want to load on every page and why does it take so fucking long to load?

4chanx has been compromised I hear

hmm it seems that my acces point works fine when attaching devices through lan. but seems not to let devices connect wirelessly, any help?

It has not

Is this really slow? This is a WD Blue 500GB, 16MB cache.

Attached: crystaldiskmark.png (602x548, 79K)

did you mean to use $$__POST["x"] ?

God fucking dammit that was it.
Thanks user~

I'm surprised you don't get any errors.
When I tried this (I have no idea about PHP) it threw errors at me.

Attached: 1513362807188.png (635x654, 36K)

so i just found out that tape drives are a thing and i want to start using them for backing up my pc but.. how do i actually connect one of these things to my pc?
i assume i need some sort of enclosure but i can't find one that connects via usb

Attached: file.png (1239x558, 392K)

depends what are you using it for
for operating systems you might get long boot times but for media and backup it's fine

google the song/album name and and flac at the end

am i technically sexy

no

I had a blue screen due to my RAM running out.
And since then like half or so of all executables I try to run fail to do so properly. They start but then they immediately stop in their tracks and fail to respond further. This includes fresh installs, some games or applications, and it even includes updates and stuff. And it all started with the blue screen upon the RAM running out.

I ran memtest and my RAM is fine aside from how I foolishly used it prior to the blue screen.
I've also ran chkdsk to look for corruptions on my drives. Looks fine.
I did a full scan using [spoiler]kaspersky[/spoiler] and it doesn't look like I've got any viruses or anything.

I am at a complete loss. Not that I really think posting this here will help. But I honestly have no clue whatsoever of what might be up. In my decades of using computers I have never ever seen anything like this.
I really have no idea what to do or even what to think of this. The system just might be fucked at this point. Can't really think of much of anything aside from reinstalling the entire damn OS. But I really wouldn't want to have to do that.
Also chkdsk takes way longer than I remember it doing. But I guess I've never used it on a system with drives as large as this before.

My net provider is fucking around with me and I need a program to track my connection 24/7 and keep logs of it. They send out tech staff to my house at times when my net is fine and they're like "durr its workin".

Any free program for this?

Attached: 1523745939799.jpg (445x500, 32K)

speedtest-cli, ping and gnuplot

Should i preorder a gpd pocket 2?

What's some good use for old hardware?

Put together some parts, and now I got a noisy box with a Phenom II, 4GB RAM, HD 5770 and 3 slow ass harddrives, one being a good ol' IDE one.

usually the suggestions are:

>NAS/download box/media player
Due the noise/power drain, this seems silly.

>donating
Tried couple times, no one needs this crap.

>Hackintosh
AFAIK newer versions of MacOS don't work because of missing instructions.

>trying software
That's what virtual machines are there for.

So yeah, anyone got any other suggestions? Feels like I am overlooking something obvious.

How do I fix the Windows 10 taskbar search not working?

>I had a blue screen due to my RAM running out.
You won't get BSOD when you run out of RAM... If that was a thing, people would be getting 10 BSODs a day.
It's most likely your drive failing. You probably already realized that, because it isn't booting anymore.

This might sound weird, but I can't run anything using ports other than 80 or 443. But it's not like it just doesn't work, it works like every 10th try.

For example, War Thunder kicks me out when trying to join a game with error saying that my ports are blocked. But sometimes it establishes connection and I can play and have no problems until I try again.
I have same problems with AoE2 and since that is primarily P2P, it's impossible to play anything else than 1v1.
Steam app login takes 3-5 tries on average. But stuff through browser works just fine, that's why I think that 80 and 443 is unaffected.

I already wiped router configuration and just said fuck it and put the Ethernet cable directly to 2 different PCs and ended up with same problems. I'll call my ISP, since it's obviously not a problem on my side, but I have no idea what to tell them that wouldn't take 10 minutes to describe.

>so i just found out that tape drives are a thing
Welcome to the 50s.
Now forget about them. They're expensive and slow. HDDs are cheaper, faster, and more portable. Back up using linux and format the drives as ext4, it uses checksums to prevent fragmenting, which NTFS is notorious for.

>You won't get BSOD when you run out of RAM... If that was a thing, people would be getting 10 BSODs a day.
No. It is definitely a thing. Typically a portion of the RAM is reserved for the OS. But if you fully load the RAM and ignore all of this the OS will seize to function and will most likely fail.
Granted that's seldom something you do by mistake. But it's far from unexpected if you actually take it that far regardless.

>What's some good use for old hardware?
Hold onto it. Eventually there will be a retro PC wave, and your parts will fetch a good price from the neohipsters.

>But if you fully load the RAM and ignore all of this the OS will seize to function and will most likely fail.
If rape your RAM including your pagefile, Windows will warn you that it'll start closing applications and will then do just that.

>Windows will warn you that it'll start closing applications and will then do just that.
Yes. That's what should happen. And I probably should have let it happen too.
What I described is more what tends to happen otherwise.

why is windows 7 so bloated lads? never tried any linux distro by the way
I run almost nothing on startup and end up with about 2 Go that're always in use regardless of whether or not I'm doing anything.

Because there is literally zero reason to unload something from RAM if there is nothing to occupy its place.

won't a decent OS that's not bloated with useless services need much less than that to operate properly?

Where would you use this spacer? It came with my SSD

Attached: 1533335426334465598361.jpg (3264x1836, 1.75M)

No, it won't. Aggressively unloading everything that's not used this tick is a great way to cripple performance. Drives operate the same way, they mark something as not needed but is there if you change your mind, then overwrite it when the space is needed.
Laptops made for thicker drives than your SSD.

I want to learn to code
What should I learn first

whatever language is mostly used on the platform you want to make something for.

Thx. using it on my PC so don't think I need it

OK so I had a contractor run 4 Ethernet cables through the wall where the modem and coax is to different places around the house.
Since then, performance has gotten worse and there is bad bloatbuffer on any devices connected through one of those 4 cables. If a device is straight to the modem, no problem.

So the question is, how hard is it for me to rerun those cables with better, higher quality cables? Two are on the same floor, two are on a second floor. Should I just get the retard contractor to come back and fix it or can I do it myself?

16:10

21:9

Or 2k 16:9?

I am leaning towards 16:10 right now because I plan on having it vertical for manga reading and shmups

Attached: 1.jpg (335x434, 53K)

>work
16:10
>vidya
16:9
>movies (or work with Word)
21:9

What was the name of the four sciences that was all the rage a few years ago

Computer science mathematics physics and something else