(Free | Open)BSD vs GNU/Linux. Discuss

(Free | Open)BSD vs GNU/Linux. Discuss.

Attached: bsd vs linux.jpg (900x506, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/bluerise/openbsd-src/blob/master/usr.sbin/pkg_add/OpenBSD/PkgCreate.pm
github.com/openzfs/openzfs
github.com/openzfs/openzfs/tree/master/usr/src/cmd/awk
github.com/openzfs/openzfs/tree/master/usr/src/cmd/awk_xpg4
lwn.net/Articles/616097/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Those mascots are awful.

Windows XP

Attached: 1530502962013.png (381x353, 40K)

there is a reason Linux is winning and there is a reason why BSDs are still alive

What would you prefer?
That's a pretty okay choice, user, but please stay on topic.
We are trying to settle the oldest freetard argument.

Something that doesn't look like it was drawn by a 5yr old

Be more specific, retard.

No

GNU/Linux werks and BSD is utter garbage.

Attached: ChuckVsTux-full.jpg (800x600, 35K)

Explain thyself.
Correct.

FreeBSD is great for a personal server and has the “real unix” comfiness; none of this systemd garbage. but for a laptop you have limited support for devices, so linux is better in that case

Got you covered.

Attached: linux.png (160x300, 11K)

FreeBSD.
Linux is a student project.

Puffy > Tux > Beastie

Attached: ppuf800X725.gif (800x725, 293K)

FreeBSD just werks. Its a designed as a single operating system. not just a kernel.

The only reason im not using freebsd is the filesystem. its pretty impossible to browse a freebsd install from windows,linux. you need another freebsd install

FreeBSD is cucking itself because of the license. All the big boys contribute to Linux. Because of this, it is superior and will only ever get even more superior.

Is it me, or is it usually 2 guys and randi harper that flood these threads with stupid votes in favor of *BSD?

BSD is like linux except it actually delivers on the promise. Everything has a very sane and unix compliant design.

No bullshit bug regression, no audio problems, no feature creep. It has actual documentation so when you run into issues you can actually go read about the OS and how it works and you learn something, instead of inputting random commands you found on some pajeet forum like on linux that might work or might make your system unbootable

If you have a thinkpad OpenBSD has flawless support, the devs use those machines.

what kind of fucktarded unix filesystem doesnt have support on windows/linux?

randi was essentially "fired" 2 years ago, she went on to slander freebsd

everything in your post (except for BSD having superior documentation) is horseshit.

there is nothing "sane" about a package manager consisting of a million makefiles glued together by good-enough-for-now shell scripts and perl one-liners

>what kind of fucktarded unix filesystem doesnt have support on windows/linux?
>unix filesystem

there are bright side to that, if linux wasn't just a kernel, making compatibility layers on other OSs would be hell

*hugs*

Based and puffpilled

its actually a perfect package manager. if there is a problem you can tweak it. no blackbox

>except for BSD having superior documentation
try to find any documentation on implementation of OpenBSD kernel

They both suck in their own way. Literally am 80% of the time on my Samsung or my iPad. Only boot laptop when I need the keyboard for longer text or both devices are charging. Don't play games. You can watch movies on your tv now. Fucking around with tech lost its magic for me.

OpenBSD just turned off hyperthreading recently because of security concerns. Meanwhile my phone's just fine.

>there is nothing "sane" about a package manager
That's not the package manager, that's a package build system and its no more insane than portage.

Beastie's name is Chuck, and who the fuck is Puffy.

>those negroid lips
AYO HOL UP

forgot to add there are binary package managers for every BSD. FreeBSD and DragonflyBSD use pkg, netbsd uses pkgin, and openbsd has pkg_add.

I'd say openbsd is the least advanced here since their package manager is written in perl
github.com/bluerise/openbsd-src/blob/master/usr.sbin/pkg_add/OpenBSD/PkgCreate.pm

there shouldn't be any vs. they can live equally

OpenBSD is my favorite OS. There has been a lot of talk of updating the filesystem to something more modern which is exciting.

>OpenBSD just turned off hyperthreading recently because of security concerns. Meanwhile my phone's just fine.
I don't think you comprehend OpenBSD.

Freebsd devil is cute, openbsd fish is cute. Tux is kinda meh, gnu mascot is fucking horrible.

What are they going with?

Except the FreeBSD devil got turned into that stupid orb thing because the cucked FreeBSD devs thought the devil was scaring users away. FreeBSD really is an embarrassment to the BSD world, I'm glad it's imploding.

Attached: reebsd.png (500x336, 99K)

A very good question. A few think maybe ZFS but I am not so sure.

I don't believe they can/will go with ZFS because of the license. It's long been rumoured to be HAMMER2 from DragonFly.

Attached: 1465474267664.png (800x689, 203K)

>imploding
?

this is allright

Attached: download.png (330x153, 5K)

You are most likely correct but I didn't realize that license issue affected OpenBSD.

And unless they write their own ZFS driver from scratch they'll need to have an in-kernel solaris compatibility layer.

There's no legal issue with it. The openbsd guys just don't want anything new in the OS that's not permissively licensed. The license the ZFS code is under (CDDL) has a weak copyleft.

>openbsd kernel: 3 million loc
>openzfs: 10 million loc
I think the reason is just a general hygiene

Back in my days it was "and", not "vs". Free Software was what's all about.

Attached: 1450391827026.jpg (1039x1024, 152K)

OpenBSD is so pure and good.

Thank you.

no it's big and ugly

>>openzfs: 10 million loc
I think that's the entire illumos source tree the openzfs project works out of

Oh, i remember a forum post of a russian conservative christian who left his job because they moved to freebsd and freebsd has satan in it.

The orb looks okay too, by the way.

Your jealously is showing.

Attached: 1532200481470.gif (700x704, 295K)

Agree, these are better.

Attached: Di4RR1wXoAMO0Ad.jpg (1012x632, 70K)

I guess you are right, was counting github.com/openzfs/openzfs
really don't know about how its source is structured but there is grub there so it's probably not purely zfs code

counted again only the paths explicitly listed in readme, was only 154k loc, my mistake

ugh puffy is ugly

best mascot: Hexley

Attached: hexley_fork_450.png (450x450, 76K)

Attached: FreeBSD_Fs_Linux.jpg (200x205, 17K)

It even has the entire userland with two versions of awk
github.com/openzfs/openzfs/tree/master/usr/src/cmd/awk
github.com/openzfs/openzfs/tree/master/usr/src/cmd/awk_xpg4

>154k loc
That's still a lot more code that the openbsd team may not even audit.

>One downside to importing Linux code is that it won't be reviewed by OpenBSD kernel developers because they won't read code that does not conform to the BSD coding style.
lwn.net/Articles/616097/

Not sure if they've revised this policy since or would make an exception for the zfs driver if the license wasn't already blocking it.

BASED

10/10, would fap to again

How the fuck do you get off to a anthropomorphic cartoon

Hey guys. Glenda would like to know what all this fuss about inferior mascots is about.

Attached: spaceglenda300.jpg (1910x2208, 639K)

why did this never take off

>Beastie's name is Chuck
Nope.

how the fuck don't you?

I am what people refer to as "normal".
>inb4 HURRRRRRRRRRRRR LE fuck of normalfag
"No!"
I am here to stay.

because it's very slow for actual computing

what
that's older than me

plan 9 is too different for the sake of being different