The great debate

The great debate

Attached: Unreal4vsUnity5.jpg (1280x720, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DDsRfbfnC_A
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/EditorAnalytics.html
youtube.com/watch?v=BWW6y_VO7mI
youtube.com/watch?v=UTAeDoRIHaA
corneliusdammrich.com/52hz
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Let me be the first to say they both look like shit

Where's Godot?

Unity's graphics are shit

Snowdrop and Frostbite are better

This is Unity 5.

Attached: u5.jpg (2048x1228, 169K)

95% of graphics is up to the devs not the engine. Also where the fuck is cryengine

Unity 5 again.

Attached: image4-3.png (1920x1080, 3.13M)

Unity 5 again x2

Attached: pat-goodwin-new-final-1-upload.jpg (1920x966, 471K)

Why is it still no where near the level of Unreal 4?

This is frankly embarrassing.

holy fuck

Unreal exists btw.
>doesnt reflect in the asphalt

Cool. Now make a game where gameplay looks like that.
It doesn't matter how pretty it can make a static render if it can't do the same shit in game.
Don't get me wrong, Games in both of these engines can look beautiful, but don't use static renders to shill an engine primarily used for non static renders.

It's not a "great debate", Unreal is obviously superior

Essentially the only people still using Unity are people who have used it for years before UE4 came out and refuse to switch over, and asset flippers I guess

>Also where the fuck is cryengine

Dead lol.
Cryengine is shit that killed a numver of projects that tried to make an online game on it. MWO and Star Citizen for starters.

The only reason anyone uses it is because the normies think cryengine = good graphics, and then they discover there's no netcode

Are you blind? UE4 isn't anywhere close to that fucking shit.

I'll admit I was cheating by using OctaneRenderer/Megascans since that's AAA dev level.

>it can't do the same shit in game.
It'll be able to do that in-game on sane specs in 2019~2020.

The megascans however is already possible in-game at that level.
youtube.com/watch?v=DDsRfbfnC_A

see
Anything can look good when static rendering is involved.

At a blistering 4 frames a second!
Anybody whos worked extensively in unity can tell you that the second you deviate from the optimized default lighting and shaders is the exact second it runs like hogshit

Unity has telemetry that can't be "disabled" (I seriously hope you guys don't believe this) without paying for pro. If you use unity as an individual you're a sucker.

>itll be able to in the future! I s-swear!
Endless legend is a great example of the inefficinecy of the engine. Its meant to make it easy not good. It runs like horseshit.

>deviate from the optimized default lighting and shaders
Perhaps learn how to program shaders & lighting that doesn't run like dogshit then.

If you can't do that then take the easy route and use UE4.

>j-just take the easy route then and use an engine that doesn't suck

lmao unity shills

>brainlet programmer can't efficiently use engine

Unreal for my purposes. Unity's lighting is too dramatic.

Heh. I've been using that image as my wallpaper for months without knowing where it was from.

Godot is lowkey a botnet.

You're getting a top grade AAA engine for free. Many high ranking games have been created with it, yet you have the audacity to complain about anonymous, harmless telemetry.

Talk about picking at straws.

>Are you blind? UE4 isn't anywhere close to that fucking shit.

UE would have the cosmonaut reflecting in the asphalt lol.

Get this /v/ garbage out of here. They are both shit due to being harmful, bloated proprietary software aka the enemy of your freedom.

Btw graphics do not make good games. Paying a lot of money for a graphics card does not actually improve your experiences. Install gentoo.

@67006215
Nice b8 m8 gonna tease u with the (you) tho

You know asphalt isn't a mirror, right? I don't think you know how reflection works lmao

THE GROUND IS WET YOU STUPID BITCH.

t. neet

>"""""anonymous""""", """"""""""harmless"""""""""" telemetry

Neither, I program in C and OpenGL completely.
I don't use no gay ass engine.

>/v/fag calling someone else neet

Yep it's wet alright. Don't mean he'll be reflected. Learn how lighting and scattering of light works.

whoaa you make 3d from scratch! I'd love to see your doom-tier 90's 3D game.

Not them but what telemetry exactly? What exactly is the harm here? Like, any game you release will have forced telemetry?
I guess that could be seen as a negative for customers but overall normies don't give a shit since they're running Botnet 10 anyways.

Look up fucking OpenGL faggot.
It does full 3D. I don't make photorealistic games and it serves me well without any 'harmless telemetry' or lack of catering to my game. I can customize my C and OpenGL to fit my game exactly.

>top grade AAA
aka paid off by nvidia and microsoft to artificially inflate game lengths and prices in order to sell hardware
>high ranking games
yeah man those game journalists sure are unbiased and not a heaping pile of SJW basedboys

>Like, any game you release will have forced telemetry?
No.

>The Unity editor is configured to send anonymous usage data back to Unity. This information is used to help improve the features of the editor. The analytics
are collected using Google Analytics. Unity makes calls to a URI hosted by Google. The URN part of the URI contains details that describe what editor features or events have been used.

docs.unity3d.com/Manual/EditorAnalytics.html

The user is a drooling idiot finding any feasible excuse to hate Unity. Probably some Godot tard.

> unity literally detects if you haven't touched the editor in a while and sends you an email telling you they know.
> unity staff/bot will stalk your linkedin to see how much money you're making to force you to buy pro
> this is what engines are supposed to do
Umm no sweetie

Off my board with this shit faggot.

You’ve seen behind the veil. You’re too dangerous to be left alive.

Editor analytics can't be disabled in the free version

>The user is a drooling idiot finding any feasible excuse to hate Unity
It's proprietary. This is enough reason not to use it and to assume it's full of malware by default anyway.

>not using or supporting Godot
Faggots.

Both are proprietary shit. Use Godot.

>> unity staff/bot will stalk your linkedin to see how much money you're making to force you to buy pro
The personal license states if you make over 100k off your product using Unity Personal, you have to buy pro.(which is 1.5% of the money you made, wow) I don't know where you got the stalking BS from.

If you plan on violating those terms then don't use Unity.

> unity literally detects if you haven't touched the editor in a while and sends you an email telling you they know.
>Sends an automated message if haven't used Unity in awhile
OH NO MUH PRIVACY! Every subscription based website I've used does that shit. Big whoop.

I'm honestly more disappointed by graphics APIs. DX11 is kinda mess when it comes to 2D overlay implementation which needs stuff from DX10.1, DX12 is utter clusterfuck, Vulkan is fine but the amount of stuff you need to configure is for certain solutions pointless and you spend more time making your code readable than actually writing the code itself. I hate myself for not picking OpenGL in the first place but I was scared when Vulkan came around that it might be just obsolete fast. 3rd party engines are worthless to me, for smaller projects I can use my engine which works fine but I used both Unity and Unreal at some point and I can't tell which is better. Depends on what you are aiming for, if that is performance and you have time and resources, I'd write everything from scratch anyway.

t. spent years coding only to realize I suck in game design

Godot sends analytics back too.
But I like it, it's lightweight and open source.

What is more important, it's MIT licensed, not just open-source. That is huge advantage except their node bullshit makes me insanely frustrated.

UNITY
youtube.com/watch?v=BWW6y_VO7mI

GODOT
youtube.com/watch?v=UTAeDoRIHaA

This is why I use C and OpenGL.
Engines do shit like this and I can't control it. Piss me off.

>Godot sends analytics back too.
completely false

It's not even Unity, its Cinema 4D, and Octane and according to the artist it took 50 hours to render with two Titan Xs
corneliusdammrich.com/52hz

Not at all.

Same. if you can, make your own project, how you want it to be, in a way you can use it. Doing everything this way will also teach you more about how the shit works if you care about it. I can understand though some people just want to place models in scene and do shitty games for android phones. I was honestly happy when I rendered my first cube years ago, the feeling of satisfaction when something 3D was drawn on my screen from code was so amazing.

Unity has the Octane Renderer therefore it is possible in Unity.

Attached: image3-5.png (1999x1048, 1.67M)

So this..is the power..of Godot

Attached: screenshot.3.jpg (605x355, 79K)

MIT license is not acceptable for games because it allows cuck developers to release software on proprietary botnet platforms. Use GPLv3 if you wish to defend freedom.

im on the wrong board but these engines make my gaymes so which is better?

Attached: 1494768180217.png (448x357, 3K)

I know you're being ironic but there's a lot of people who just accept that software violates your sense of privacy now and don't even speak up about it. Also they really do stalk your linkedin. It happened to someone.

C and OpenGL.

Has anyone used Xenko?

I don't give a slightest shit about freedom for gayums. The advantage is that you can take that code and rework it for yourself if you need it. You can't do that with Unity or Unreal if you don't have resources for it (I think CryEngine is more open in this aspect). You are the one who is cucking them, shame Godot is just so shitty it's not even worth studying the source code. And no, I'm not going study pages of TOS of 3rd party engines and caring about "what if my game makes more than certain amount then I need pay" or "send payment each quarter of year good goy", fuck that shit.

we know what the terms are, the product is still garbage

no, you're wrong, godot has no use for telemetry because unlike unity, they are not running a botnet and extortion racket

Attached: 1489348495573.jpg (536x598, 82K)

No, they run user diagnostic to make sure the engine is running smoothly.

Actual gamedev here with experience in both. Comparing graphics through images is pointless. Functionality and fit for your project is the most important thing.

How about you discuss the lack of basic features in Unity and the non existent documentation (on top of disorganized functionality) in Unreal?

Follow this man's advice and I promise you'll never finish a game. The rare anons that followed that path on /agdg/ didn't come close to remotely having anything finished.

If you're an indie dev, use an engine. Game dev is already an excruciatingly long process.

Nice generalization. If you know what you are doing, C and OpenGL can be the better option.
Not suggested for indie though, hell no.

>not writing your own engine from the ground up
lol fucking plebs I swear to god

Attached: 1528864868007.jpg (680x479, 64K)

Are you retarded? He's already reflected in the ground.

>I don't give a slightest shit about freedom for gayums.
If the user doesn't control the program then the program controls the user. Godot is a step in the right direction but they were forced to make it MIT licensed because proprietary console shills insisted on it.

Performance is on both really shitty.

>Unity or Uneal

It's all about UNLIMITED DETAIL Jow Forums

>needing an engine
>not just freely programming the game
PLEB PLEB PLEB.

What's wrong about C++? I find objects in game/engine development to be extremely helpful.

>c++
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm speaking from the 4 years I spent on /agdg/. The one user that managed to even show something off(everyone loves bragging about making engines from scratch but never show any proof) became a drug addicted transsexual that completely quit game dev.

t. github repo with 3000 fizzbuzzes in haskell

Now I see you are using C and OpenGL just to be edgy. How are stickers fitting on your laptop?

except they literally don't

they didn't get anything finished because they were retards, not because of their choice of tooling

It's a waste of time if you're a solo dev and making something bigger than space invaders. Even with something as convoluted as UE4 you're better off learning how to modify the engine yourself. Even if you're a programming genius, it's better to work with something like Armory3D.

which engine can deliver better boob physics?

C >>> C++. C++ is a horrible language. It takes C and ruins it with it's shitty object oriented garbage.

Yes, for game development and Graphics API programming, using C, that's what I call being sadomasochistic.

>retards
Here's the problem, everyone is retarded so engines are the only hope they have.

>Performance is on both really shitty.

Rendering and scheduling optimizations made by the engine team will trump any performance gains from a custom engine made by a single dev in a reasonable time frame.

A rare exception would be something that is heavily agent-based and low on graphics. For example, Dwarf Fortress.

>UE4
total bloat and is even more of a waste of time unless you have a huge team and can afford to pay for support
>armory3d
not useful beyond making the most cookie cutter basic shit imaginable

yes i agree, everyone in the agdg thread is retarded, that's why you don't go there

I know you're just trolling, but UE4 is not bloat. Just because you don't understand how to use it doesn't mean it's impossible or even difficult.

>Rendering and scheduling optimizations made by the engine team will trump any performance gains from a custom engine made by a single dev in a reasonable time frame.

This is just non-sense. You are making a lot of unwarranted assumptions here.

He was actually right. If you don't have people who will communicate with devs of UE, you won't achieve the desired result. If you of course want to make decent game and not some yetanotherbullshit.

this whole thread

>>/3/

being "easy to use" does not make it not bloat

If you can't optimize the code yourself you'd be better off using UE really, or Unity. Don't do low-level programming if you are brainlet.

This is the most retarded statement I've heard in a long time.

What is the bloat in UE? And what are some better alternatives for small/solo dev teams with no access to the engine devs?