True VR

Realistically how long til something like the VR from Ready Player One is created. We're obviously heading towards it.

Ima guess within 5 years.

Attached: merlin_135740451_5ef70299-0297-45b8-89f0-86003a8be01e-articleLarge.jpg (600x400, 49K)

VR is a meme

After you're dead.

Ready Player One was specifically designed using VR technology that exists now, butthole.
All of the shit you see him using is just omnidirectional treadmills, hanging wires and shit with a headset.

They occasionally ignore the physical setup for the convenience of the plot but Ready Player One is by no means "full dive"

nigga didn't even watch the movie, probably jacking it to that average girl with the birthmark the whole time

I think that we are about 7 to 10 years away from deploying the technology enjoyed in the Oasis as described in the story and shown in the film. By then we will certainly have full haptic feedback, 64K resolution displaying at 120 FPS, and 8G bandwidth at consumer friendly price-points. With that kind of firepower, we will be very close to launching worlds as expansive and immersive as the Oasis in Ready

I don't think VR will do so well. The future is in AR

VR will be dead very soon
AR is the real future, I am counting down the days until I get myself a real life HUD.

fad

what's AR?

Hardware from the movie already exists. The problem is
1) It's not affordable
2) No software

fpbp
spbp

Ready Player One is not "True VR". As it is depicted in the movie it would be pretty immersive while you're standing up and walking around (I can't imagine a haptic suit ever being very convincing though) and complete crap for anything else. Imagine trying to vault over a table while you're really just standing on a flat surface. You'd put your hand on nothing and fall flat on your ass. "True VR" would be brain computer interface VR like in SAO which is a long long way off, if it isn't completely impossible.

Also as others have said most of the technology in ready player one already exists, it's just a matter of improvements to resolution/quality and some software for it.

>"True VR" would be brain computer interface VR like in SAO which is a long long way off, if it isn't completely impossible.
People need to get this thru their thick skulls.

>"True VR" would be brain computer interface VR like in SAO which is a long long way off, if it isn't completely impossible.

What about a full body suit that's attached to some mechanical arms at the back and the feet?

>All of the shit you see him using is just omnidirectional treadmills, hanging wires

Yes.

> and shit with a headset.

No. Especially not with the gloves. Also the performance for something like "OASIS" is no where near ready for an MMO-level/sized world.

at that point it's not even vr, we'd prolly just call it full dive or something like sao did

you'd also need a room that'd create objects infinitely fast so you can touch things (walls, tables, etc)

soon, but RPO isn't good enough. It still requires the clumsy movement of the body while sensors merely record what happens. True VR will not exist until direct input. direct output is optional.

Maybe with a whole bunch of arms (probably torso + one for each limb) you could fix that problem, but you'll just find new ones. You can't smell the gunpowder on the battlefield, swimming doesn't feel wet, the air doesn't rush past your face when you put your head out your car window, the arctic isn't cold, unless the haptics are very good you probably still can't handle and manipulate complex objects in VR. And solving these problems will just create their own, for example there's probably going to be some sequence of motions you can't do because it will tangle up the robot arms, or getting full temperature control over the interior of the suit might mean adding a bunch of extra weight in coolant fluid and a couple extra pipes for the user to get tangled up in.

>Ready Player One
shit movie

What does Jow Forums think about computers?

Attached: compooter.png (2000x1445, 342K)

the worst.
kill it with fire.

>true vr
this is an oxymoron. what people really mean when they say "true vr" is that they'll never be satisfied with whatever the current state of the technology is. three decades ago you had people referring to real time polygonal environments displayed on a normal monitor as "vr". now people are so spoiled that, even though we have affordable hmds which are far better than the ones available back then for tens of thousands of dollars, it's still not good enough for them.

>suit to feel pain
>5 years
yeah, no.

Attached: 1452043388505.jpg (391x311, 132K)

it's based on a book.

>clumsy movement of the body
Dude, I'd fucking love it if my ingame character could actually fucking move like me.
Just imagine, being able to move in any movement state instead of enumerating crouch, walk and sprint. Imagine the freedom you'd get from that.

Even now you already have games like Robo Recall and Beat Saber that allow you to enjoy a fuckload of granularity and a high skill ceiling just because you can use the full range of motion of your arms, instead of being bound to pre-defined movement patterns.

Ready Player One's concept is kinda retarded for anything but limited action games, but then we do have VRChat and Ugandan Knuckles, so it seems like many people don't care. I bet there's even romance in VRChat.

Released 2020!

Mandatory fpbp

What's a computer?

I was suggesting that needing to actually move your body in the real world to get the whole range of motion is clumsy. We won't have true vr until it can pick up nervous signals.

>I was suggesting that needing to actually move your body in the real world to get the whole range of motion is clumsy.
>being less coordinated than the average ingame character
user, you might want to try going outside and doing some fucking sports.