Microsoft open-sourcing Windows Presentation Foundation

It will be OS-agnostic and run on macOS and Linux.

Will this kill Qt?

Attached: Structure-Visualizer-for-XAML-editor.png (1982x1453, 195K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2018/05/07/net-core-3-and-support-for-windows-desktop-applications/
github.com/AvaloniaUI/Avalonia?
gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Seems like MS IS a lot into open-source sw recently .. Pajeet CEO doing good stuff

If it's floss, and free as in beer, yes, no doubt

>It will be OS-agnostic
source?
this post makes it pretty clear that it is going to be windows only: blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2018/05/07/net-core-3-and-support-for-windows-desktop-applications/

actually, now that I think about it, I don't even know if it's going to be open sourced... they'll probably just let you interact with it.

>Microsoft open sourcing their 14th aborted attempt at a Window Toolkit
Lol.

>actual good GUI toolkit on Linux
Fucking sign me up. The future might finally make it possible to use Linux with GUI instead of being bound by the command line's position as the only first class citizen.

>Will this kill Qt?
No, but it might kill GTK

Embrace
Extend
Extinguish

According to Wikip. WPF is DirectX-based. How will it work with other OS?

I can find no such thing. Were you mistaken for github.com/AvaloniaUI/Avalonia?

>Microsoft open-sourcing Windows
!
>Presentation foundation
:(

WPF uses DirectX, can macOS even run it?

Great 90s meme, user. Meanwhile in $CurrentYear, Windows is slowly dying. For the first time since the 1980s, Microsoft doesn't even have a dedicated desktop OS division any more.

Attached: 1530922287604.jpg (720x615, 237K)

They will be like MacOS, open-sourcing the kernel, but still keeping the layers close-sourced.

don't hold your breath
it will most likely end up like pic related

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 24K)

macOS kernel is already open source, dipshit

Now open source XP you filthy pajeet fuckheads.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (476x360, 12K)

there's a leaked Win2k source floating around the Internet, and Win2k is basically XP without the cancer-inducing gooey

This, it's only saving grace is that it uses C# rather than C++.

gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

What are you talking about?

>Will this kill Qt?

Nah. Someone has to write a WPF to Qt wrapper in order to not make the programs look like alien anyway.

It's windows only you fucking retards

Can someone explain what it is?

GUI isn't shit because of lack of libraries. It is shit because lack of programmers interested in writing GUI. If a programmer was motivated to do this and found the tools lacking he could modify them or make a new one.

Attached: 1531839526597.png (577x1177, 717K)

Dotnet core 3 will have a windows pack that gives you access to winforms, WPF and to the whole win32 api. However, OP can't read and thinks that it'll be cross platform, don't let him fool you.

Yet another toolkit MS wrote to try to make writing office apps easy.

Attached: 1531872387536.jpg (1600x1504, 188K)

I don't like WPF

God, baneposting is the only reason I can live a happy life.

Nobody cared who she was until she put on the mask.

Attached: 1531872351038.jpg (960x969, 83K)

>what is avalonia

The anti-pajeet graphical subsystem. Code seperation with partial classes and god-tier UI developpment and styling using xaml with a WYSIWYG designer.

Oh, so it's basically that newer java gui library but even less portable.

>can't be assed to update or maintain their own API
>community keeps demanding that they do because nobody wants to use that UWP garbage
>FINE WE'LL JUST OPEN SOURCE IT MAINTAIN IT YOURSELVES YOU STUPID CUNTS

Man, modern Microsoft is passive aggressive as fuck.

Autism

Attached: d09.jpg (684x546, 76K)

>all those years I put into WPF might not be wasted afterall

Attached: 1522793306444.png (640x640, 21K)

They can made it renderer-agnostic

They specifically said they won't tho.

Do you even know what opensource means?

I was hoping this would happen one day. Writing a graphical application in C was absolute ass, if this happens it will be loads better.

Attached: images.jpg (219x230, 6K)

Where did they say that they will open source it and/or make it crossplatform? OP is just a lying fag.
Here they specifically say that it won't be cross platform and that they're studying if it'll be open sourced or not.

In one year Windows will scan for white male privilege and if it finds any your computing power will be atomatically diverted to the "less privileged"

Attached: IMG_20180214_211015.jpg (1208x905, 88K)

>goes opensource
>b-but we forbid anyone from making it crossplatform!

That's not how this works, user. That's not how any of this works.

Can't you fucking read? It's NOT OPEN SOURCE.
At least it's not planned to be at the mlment.

someone post the antidote pic (aborted black thug with gold chains and errthing)

>xml
doa

I love making WinForm and WPF shit. If this does happen I will make so many random things on Linux.

Hopefully.

>reading comprehension

>wow cross platform
>except these non portable extensions everyone uses that dont work anywhere but windows
Ed Edd and Eddy intensifies

SOURCE???

> did powershell kill bash
Whats powershell again?

that's not what passive aggressive is hun

This. Has anyone in this fucking thread even tried to make a good UI at least once? It's like HTML + CSS + Javascript but with HTML3 and without CSS nor JS.

This is why I like electron
> inb4 hur hur electron is cancer

Doesn't exist.

This.
I do agree that electron is cancer, but it is so easy to develop for that it's hard not to use it when you just want to finish a project fast.

Most of the new stuff in Windows 10 is already changed to web. The start menu is a webpage. System settings is a webpage. The desktop has been a webpage for ages.

>I can only think in terms of xkcd comics

>so easy to develop for that it's hard not to use it when you just want to finish a project fast.
having shipped both electron and a c# Winforms app, winforms is quicker to develop

It just means WPF is abandonearwe now. No one is going to waste time developing on that dead platform, open source or not

A GUI framework that doesn't suck? Just what Linux needs t b h

Yet Microsoft manages to seamlessly include backwards compatibility between their toolkits. Even Windows 95 programs run in Windows 10.
GNOME? Qt? You literally need to install several different libraries just to run GTK 2 and 3 software alongside each other. Can't even run shit from before that without compiling GTK yourself (and good luck with that -modern compilers will throw a bunch of errors and then you'll eventually run into an unmet dependency that you must compile also.)
Hell, most distros are starting to remove Qt 4 libraries which means a lot of Qt 4-only software will be impossible to run without downloading the source code and recompiling it.

I will. Have you tried using GTK? Designing UI through function calls is horrible. And glade/xml loading is pretty shit too. You shouldn't have to take 10 hours to figure out how to load it and somehow embed it in your application. WPF is intuitive and just werks(tm). And Qt license sucks. There isn't any source that Macrosoft is gonna open source WPF but I doubt they would have a license whre you either have to open source your program or pay them money.

>Will this kill Qt?
No, because it was already killed by Electron long ago. This won't stand a chance against it as well.

It's so easy do develop because it forces you to manually do things that you don't think about at first. It abandons every single desktop paradigm, and they exist for a reason those UI pajeets coming from web don't understand at first. Good UI toolkits already have that implemented, and are perceived as "complex" by pajeets for that. Electron will reinvent the wheel in its own bloated way. That is inevitable.

also, modern webdev is knee deep in tech debt, it's neither easy nor quick to develop for, beyond the hello world level

>I will.

that's because your time is worthless.

>get a bucket of chicken wings
>paint face black and lips red and puffy
>wear gold chains and say "nigger" and "cracker" all the time
what white privilege :^) ?

this

I'm sorry that you can't see how awesome C# and WPF are.

>Good UI toolkits already have that implemented
Such as...?
Let's face it, the only crossplatform gui toolkits that are decent enough are qt and html5, and qt sure as hell isn't faster to develop for than html5.

>neither easy nor quick to develop for, beyond the hello world level
All others options are far worse.

>inb4 but it is sluggish and eats lots of ram!!!
I agree.
Honestly I just hope that google someday starts developing flutter for desktop, I really think that it'd be very nice.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1497281189393.jpg (2272x1704, 997K)

Attached: 1498474589732.jpg (659x609, 85K)

>abandon-ware
who cares?

Good argument lol

What's the difference in that to be honest?
One gives you the decision if you want to deal with older packages/libraries, the other one installs them by default. It's actually the pure definition of bloat this board is railing up against so often.

He said slowly. Are you being dense on purpose? They're openly spying, making decisions the public doesn't like. Think about all the Windows 10 hate there is. People are starting to wonder what the alternatives are.

Finally some old knowledge of a deprecated now revived framework from Microsoft is going to become useful for once.

Yes, it means expecting other people to do your work and not giving anything in return.

>windows is now open source!
>windows now allows only programs, ahem i mean apps, from the windows store and nowhere else
i do not understand anymore

>How Microsoft arranges its divisions for financial reports is an indication of if a key product is dying
You fucking what mate. If you're aware of this how are you also unaware of the hundreds of millions of Win 10 installs and how much money it's making them?

wtf Jow Forums? Microsoft are the good guys supporting open source and Google is evil. Is this bizarro Earth?

>I am too stupid that I have to use a shitty webcomic as arguments

Google is kinda similar.
Parts of the OS are open source (except for baseband firmware, gpu drivers and whatever bloatware the OEM decided to add) and installing software outside of the Play Store is becoming more annoying with each new version of Android.

Attached: 1532163303832.jpg (897x767, 71K)

A shell that is actually sane.
Fuck bash. It's a fucking piece of shit. The autocompletion is pitiful compared to powershell, the lack of enforced standard parameters (verbose, whatif, etc.) constantly causes issues and because there's no fucking standards for input parameters every single command is controlled in a non-standard manner.

Powershell did a good job of adding in some modern features and standardization. One may argue about whether using objects over text is a good thing, but I would say csv would be a good compromise to keep to the Unix philosophy.

Also, it's funny how powershell's commandlets are closer to unix philosophy than anything used in Bash.

>It's so easy do develop because it forces you to manually do things that you don't think about at first. It abandons every single desktop paradigm, and they exist for a reason those UI pajeets coming from web don't understand at first. Good UI toolkits already have that implemented, and are perceived as "complex" by pajeets for that. Electron will reinvent the wheel in its own bloated way. That is inevitable.
>toolkits without automatic support for standard copy+paste hotkeys, file selection dialogues, tabbing, and other default functionalities that should be identical in every single program on a platform
Absolutely disgusting.

I want to shoot a bitch whenever I get a Windows program with a custom file selection dialogue that doesn't allow me to fucking copy and paste a path and instead forces me to manually navigate there. Even better when it's one of those really minimal ones that don't even have a "create folder" button.

>Will this kill Qt?
No, they will fuck it up as usual.

>I want to shoot a bitch whenever I get a Windows program with a custom file selection dialogue that doesn't allow me to fucking copy and paste a path and instead forces me to manually navigate there.
Windows has own such dialog BTW, a dysfunctional folder selection dialog which only allows to select it from tree.

>look mom! I posted it again