Questions about os

Hey anons, I'm getting a desktop and I've never even loaded an OS onto a computer before, but I wanted to ask, what's the best OS I can get for my needs?
I know the main options are windows or linux, but which version specifically?
I want a free OS that has a wide range of programs to download.
I know linux is a great, fast OS, but I want steam on it with all the game options and I'm not sure if that's available for linux yet, so I'm tending more towards windows.
If so, are there any ways I can get a free windows version? How?
>Thanks anons

Attached: rzoi6cq5d0ux.png (883x1024, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
nanami-tan.info/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Windows is for you. You'll use Linux when you're tired of gaming, or when you need a more reliable computer.

> how to obtain free windows?

utorrent.com
thepiratebay.org

Kid stick with Windows linux isn't for gaming.

fuck off frogposter

Windows is proprietary so it does not meet your first criteria. Use Arch Linux with WINE if you want to play games.

Yea, but can I get a windows version that will update? And also, I heard windows 7 is better than windows 10... is that true?

Why would anyone use a proprietary torrent client? That is just ridiculous to me.

>I heard windows 7 is better than windows 10... is that true?
Not really. They're pretty much the same. Windows 10 is just more obtrusive with its ads and spying.

Sounds complicated... wut?

What is confusing to you?

Is there any way I can stop that or get rid of it?

As someone who's never even loaded a basic os, how do I get it, what do I do with the program once I've gotten it, etc...
I don't mean to sound pessimistic, I'm honestly just confused a bit...

If you have to ask, then Windows is probably your best bet. I'd recommend Windows 8.1.

Attached: 1526567382473.gif (354x534, 208K)

No. You could try blacklisting all of the collection servers on your router, but then you won't get security updates. Given how susceptible to ransomware Windows 7 is, that isn't a good idea. You just shouldn't use Windows. As simple as that.
It's not that complicated. An Arch install should only take a fifteen minutes or so. Just follow the guide. You can torrent an iso or direct download from the Arch Linux website.

Don't fall for the arch meme

Install gentoo, you can get wine and everything working for it after a day or two

It's the easiest to use bleeding edge distro. If you want to play games you need a bleeding edge distro.

Yeah, it sounds kinda dumb. I don't think I'll do it.

But I mean, Why go through the hassle of getting everything up and running when I can just get windows?
Like, I'm not even joking, what are the advantages of linux over windows? So far, it just seems like people use linux for the sake of saying they use linux and to not fall under the windows umbrella.
What are the legitimate advantages of doing that much work for a subpar result?

Attached: 1533259540682.jpg (400x400, 115K)

Void is pretty freaking easy too. Has a gui package manager if you're lazy or a brainlet.

In terms of gaming? Not a lot of advantages desu.

>I'm not even joking, what are the advantages of linux over windows?
Security, stability, privacy, Unix compatibility, freedom, customisation, better software.

Linux is faster, Windows runs on 1.5gb of ram on idle, while my distro uses 180mb of ram on idle, I can do more with it's customization (ricing) rather than just changing the desktop background, I like using a tiling window manager and I like pressing Mod + Enter to open a terminal where I can quickly type a program name and it will execute automatically. I can't do that on Windows, and that's why I don't use it.

Voids repos are lacking compared to Arch. New users don't want to have to compile from source code often.
I think a GUI package manager is just inefficient, though it could be good if it categorised software well. Arch also has a graphical frontend for pacman.

Oh. Gotcha. and this is open source? Sounds nifty... So like... does steam run on it or...?

But Void lacks superior systemd

Use Ubuntu and install PlayonLinux and Steam through the Software Store. Windows is better for gaming. Get 7 or 8 if you're gonna use Windows. Ubuntu is free unlike Windows and it automatically updates drivers.

>security
cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php
>stability
kernel panics in your face
>privacy
your browser matters more than your OS here
>Unix compatibility
WSL
>freedom
ok, that goes to Linux
>customization
>muh ricing
>better software
MS Office, Photoshop, Priemere, 3ds Max, AutoCAD, SolidWorks ...

Do you really think those are good software or do you just cite them because they are exclusive to Mac OS and Windows?
WSL is a crappy compatibility layer.

Okay anons, I think I've reached a decision.
I did a bit of research and this is what I've found...
Linux is super cool. I like it, I really do.
It's fast, flexible and best of all: Free. The three F's to success.
But, when I went to pirate bay and tried to get a few games, I noticed something- nearly every game was meant for windows.
See, that's the thing, no matter how amazing linux is, most software companies and people develop things for windows first and then they MIGHT develop it for linux as an afterthought.
If Operating systems were superheroes, linux would be deadpool- fast, efficient and just straight up awesome.
But windows would be captain america in the sense that even though it's not NEARLY as good, so many more people like it and recognize it that linux gets drowned out in the sea of possibilities that is windows.
Linux is cool, and I do think that in the future I might partition my desktop into windows and linux just to use linux in my daily use... But right now I'm just a student that needs to get things done, and so windows is the immediate choice for me.
Thank you anons, and I appreciate it... Have a good night.
Also, is there any way I can pirate a copy of windows that actually updates?

I list them b/c they're exclusive. But Excel (not even joking, shit has always amazed me though I don't use it), 3ds Max (which I've no idea why is exclusive considering same-company's similar-product Maya is cross) and SolidWorks are I think are good.

>I want a free OS that has a wide range of programs to download.
Then Windows is out of the question, since it is not free.
And since you dont know what you are doing, Ubuntu or Mint will be your best bet

You said you're getting a desktop and considering you're looking for games, I guess you have a discrete GPU. Then it is possible to install Linux, do everything but games there and Windows as virtual machine that offers native performance using the GPU when you need it.
I think discrete GPUs aren't even required anymore but I haven't look it.

You can install Windows 10 from the free ISO available on Microsoft's website and then either not activate it (and have a "product not activated" message overlaidd on the bottom right of your screen for all eternity), pay money to activate it, or use the KMSPico crack tool which does god knows what and needs periodically re-running because Windows will un-crack itself. You will get updates with all three options as far as I'm aware.

Or you can use Linux, you can run an awful lot of games on it but random titles will just not work.

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

get the en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677332.iso

download rufus 2.17, the newer version is shit

make sure you get network drivers beforehand

windows 7 best windows

Attached: 1530401549118.jpg (1280x914, 92K)

also check this out
nanami-tan.info/

Attached: 1529853513454.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1533378995783.jpg (244x300, 13K)

Install Gentoo