USB booting

what OS is best for booting from a usb and why?

Attached: 01b.png (640x400, 39K)

windows 8.1 as windows-to-go. It's great if you have a 16+ GB USB3 thumbdrive because it's literal windows, on your flash.

Linux Mint cinnamon 18.3 live .iso just werks on everything.

I have tried a few Franken Windows Ivan editions and nope.jpg

Fun fact: I boot GRUB from USB on my i7 x58 desktop to Linux mint on a 1Tb NVME PCI M2 SSD because I won't rewrite my bios manually in Hexidecimal because i am a pussy.

Attached: image.jpg (3264x2448, 1.32M)

What are you joking? Buy a BIOS chip for $1 or ask your mobo manufacturer for one.

Tails

debian with persistence

Windblows 10

antiX

Kubuntu 16.04 LTS

so... debian?

No.

so... yes?

so windows-to-go
the endless fight of debian/ubuntu/linux mint

>Fun fact: I boot GRUB from USB on my i7 x58 desktop to Linux mint on a 1Tb NVME PCI M2 SSD
this is kind of useful to me

antiX is easily customizable. You can turn on root and/or home persistence, choose from a few WMs, there are quite a few tools preinstalled, it boots lightning fast.
Many distros support live booting but not all of them do it in an efficient fashion.

> the endless fight of debian/ubuntu/linux mint
so... debian/debian lite/debian lite?

>not making custom live usb ontop of arch

slax

>i hate having more spaces on my usb for persistence

>debian lite
what do you mean by this?

holy shit it actually seems good

I would recommend KNOPPIX because this distro never failed me to boot on anything. Other distros did.

>MX linux
>persistence
>option to only use the RAM

It's clearly gentoo.
While I was in high school, I installed gentoo on my usb stick and skinned everything to look almost exactly like the windows used in the school.
Since the bios was not locked down in any way, I would just boot from usb.
I even configured pxe on it so that I could connect multiple crappy school laptops together and use it as a multi-monitor setup through Xdmx.

>bios was not locked down in any way
is this a common practice?
i would like to use the usb on public computers sometimes

I think with uefi and secureboot and all that stuff, it has become somewhat rare on public computers.
Also schools normally have bad IT security practices, as the sysadmin role is often fulfilled by some teacher

i did this with hackintosh on an old locked down sony laptop