/osg/ - Old Stuff General

Why buy new stuff when old stuff still works? Pic related is my X60s. It runs relatively modern software with the latest Debian and Libreboot releases. It's also completely free, something most modern computers can't offer.

>inb4 boomer
I just turned 19.

Attached: X60s.jpg (3264x2448, 223K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archlinux.org/packages/community/any/neofetch/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw 20 year old boomer
Also what cpu do you have zoomer?

Attached: screenshot_20180804_045251.png (1024x768, 418K)

I have the Core Duo L2400 running at 1.66GHz.

Also, is that a fresh install? You still have the bookmarks bar enabled with the default bookmarks and i3 has the default config.

Last post, I swear. Is that a lain wallpaper?

oh hi tripcode

New stuff works better dummy.

not really in a noticable way for many things, such as casual video watching, Jow Forums shitposting, light coding or other simple shit

unless you are a /v/irgin theres no real need for a brand new pc or shit like that

>tfw still haven't upgraded to coreboot and a quadcore ivy bridge
>tfw still haven't maxed out RAM

Attached: Untitled.png (1600x900, 288K)

Attached: IMG_0810.jpg (750x981, 121K)

hewwo~

Attached: do_it_for_tripcode.jpg (500x375, 142K)

I want an X60 so bad. My X200's great but I want something smaller. No one in Australia is selling one though.

I wonder if anyone here has an CRT. These things are pretty cool.
>can be overclocked to become cheap (or even free) gaming monitors
>amazing picture quality
>no pixel grid, so you can make up resolutions on the fly to have integer scaling of content to have it look nice
>can go past 1080p
>costed me nothing

Attached: boomer-monitor.jpg (4160x3120, 3.7M)

what is an alternative to neofretch for arch?

archlinux.org/packages/community/any/neofetch/
Have you checked whether it's avaiable in the first place? There's screenfetch if you want to use it.

uhh sweaty? why are you using chrome?

I’m selling an x61 in aus

Another X60s users here. I would recommend to get the docking station if you can for cheap as you can convert the DVD drive as an external HD docking station.

Sadly mine doesn’t play nice with computers, but for old consoles it wirks a treat.

Attached: 9E82291C-EB42-4040-BF00-A55A527C2F33.jpg (3024x3024, 3.91M)

Games are for children.

That 28 year old boomer who thinks he’s too cool for games.

Attached: 7BB54644-3BB6-4A11-A81D-0682F8D5C723.jpg (610x481, 154K)

I got a freebie Windows 98 machine that came with a CRT. It was funny trying it out after being so used to modern monitors. Not sure how to evaluate the quality of the monitor quite yet. I'll probably pick up some NEC MultiSync CRT at some point since I'm planning to throw a PC-98 into the mix eventually and the refresh rates on software vary wildly.
Kinda wish the OSSC did VGA output natively so I could see how the line doubling compares between a CRT and LCD.

What badass refresh rate have you achieved?

Excellent bait.

Attached: 1513706229770.png (540x750, 421K)

ufetch is neat

>AYE WHATS YOUR DISCORD ZOOMER

>L 2 PLAY GAYMES

>wanna play fortnite on the Iphone with retina display?

Attached: Zoomer cucks.jpg (680x907, 76K)

>2007 macbook that I only use for fapping
>Old Supermicro motherboard that still has ISA slots, used to be my home server
>Big-ass IBM server, 5u or some shit. Weighs about 80 pounds fully loaded

nothing wrong with default config

>relatively modern software
>Debian
Have you considered kys?

I have one of those two, not in this x60 though.
I mean it works... I have changed a few things to the i3 config though. Cpu load and temp for example.
Yes :D
Hi :D
>tfw no i7 3840qm
hewwo :D
I have chromium installed, it seems to work a bit faster then the Firefox version in Debian testing.

What is debian testing?
What is debian sid?

Running an X61t here as my daily carry laptop but i'd like to upgrade, sadly there isn't any upgrade from this thing even after 10 years.

Attached: s.jpg (1024x768, 27K)

Doesn't chromium use absurd amounts of ram?

>using unstable versions of an OS that claims to be stable

>5u server
What do you use it for? Can you stand the noise?

Attached: ubuntu.png (789x486, 34K)

Currently using a t61 as my linux machine.
I upgraded to 4GB ram and switched the CPU for a Intel Core 2 Duo T9500, together with an SSD it's a pretty decent machine.

Not too sure if I want to mess with it more or just let it stay that way, I can throw more money at it, I don't see any benefit in it right now. Might check if you can switch out the display for something more decent because it's not that great to be honest.

we need to do something about the zoomer question (ZQ)...

Not even something like X220T?

baka desu senpai

>16:9
No. Plus i'd keep the same 768 pixels from the resolution i already have.
The only thing i want is a 4:3 or 16:10 2in1 with a stylus and a trackpoint, the x200t and x201t fill that bill but i don't think going from an x61 to an x201t would be a massive upgrade if i'm only doing basic stuff on it.

I guess your only chance is to hope 51nb will make a retrofit for one of these models. Software gets more bloated over time, (I'm mostly talking about web browsers) so you'll probably have to upgrade down the line to keep doing basic things.

>What badass refresh rate have you achieved?
120 Hz. The manufacturer claims it can go up to 160 Hz at certain resolutions, but these might make sense only for dos gaming. I haven't even bothered, and I keep switching between 800x600@120Hz and 640x480@120Hz depending on what I'm doing. Too bad the computer I have hooked up to this thing is a piece of shit, especially now that proprietary nvidia drivers for it are effectively deprecated.

>I guess your only chance is to hope 51nb will make a retrofit for one of these models
Yeah but that's pretty unlikely. For now only these laptops fit my criteria aside from the trackpoint which i've gotten really used to, going back to a touchpad seems like a downgrade.
>Software gets more bloated over time, (I'm mostly talking about web browsers) so you'll probably have to upgrade down the line to keep doing basic things.
Oh i'm aware of that, i've been hitting ~3.6gb of ram a couple of times already and now seriously thinking about spending $80 for two 4gb ddr2 sticks.

Attached: a.jpg (750x537, 123K)

I found a super old IBM PC in my basement. Is one of those that are horizontally aligned.

Can I do something with it? like buying a gpu and ram to make it work with modern stuff? or is it just junk?

crystalhd

I don't use it nowadays.
The noise wasn't that bad. I kept it in a closet and the fans were automatically speed controlled. Had 2 of those awful space heater hyperthreaded single cores.

ur a baka

I got one for $40 on gumtree. Unfortunately, it was the lowest spec, so it's pretty much unusable for compiling and web browsing ( non text based). Looking for a higher spec one now.

I have an x60 as well. I love it to death bit it gets super hot on the bottom after very short period of use. either of you guys have this problem?

X60 are space heater compared to X60s. Best thing to do is get a wifi chip that produces little heat, like AR9380, that will help somewhat. But you have to have libreboot to use it.

I don't mind librebooting it. I bought an ath AR5b95 a while back. will that help?

kys boomers

can you try saying this again in a way that doesn't make you sound like like a brainless underaged /v/ normie

My x61t doesn't.