Ok so how is wine these days? Haven't touched Linux since mandriva existed...it was a fucking nightmare then...

Ok so how is wine these days? Haven't touched Linux since mandriva existed...it was a fucking nightmare then. Then again so was Linux.

Either way win 10 telemetry is creepy so I'm willing to try Linux again. Can you play steam games in wine? Also if it's not asking too much what's a easy lightweight distro?

Attached: WINE-logo.png (200x313, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lutris.net/games/company-of-heroes/
wiki.ixit.cz/d3d9
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Still shit like everything linux has to offer.

I use it only for ms office so i don't know.

Used it once to play Victoria 2. It was difficult the first time setting up but there were some good tutorials online.

Worked like a charm for dx9 applications. Would recommend.

Look into using Windows in a VM with PCI pass through, it's almost native performance.

I guess would have been about 7 years ago?

Things have come on a long way since then, wine runs a great deal of stuff without trouble. A lot of other stuff will run but it might take some work to get it running - in those cases, if it's popular software, there's usually walkthroughs that explain what you need to do.

More like 8-9 years ago. As long as I don't have to touch a CLI I don't care.

>Wine
>shit
hahhaah... excuse me, you reminded me I need to finish Dark Souls, so I'm gonna play it on Wine@Linux box who runs a composite display server, all while my GeForce GT 720 holds up pretty well :>

If you want to be spoonfed go on reddit.

By the way, don't just install Linux right away, pick a distro like Mint or Ubuntu or Debian, and spend maybe a week or two reading about how to use Linux, look up a list of common linux commands & how to use the terminal (if you don't already know), read guides related to stuff you want to do (for instance, how to set up wine to run games, etc), then once you've prepared yourself a bit, install Linux and see how it goes.

If you really don't want to ever use the terminal, then I can't recommend linux to you. I'm not saying you'll definitely need to use it, but you'd be crippling yourself if you don't learn at least the basics of how to use it.

kys friend

Well that sounds a bit more confident! Got a good lightweight retard simple distro to recommend? At this point it either this or install fucking XP.
You said terminal... someone said fucking terminal. I'm leaving...thread over, fuck Linux, sorry I made the fucking thread...I'll just XP or Vista or something. That's a deal breaker.

WINE works flawlessly for dx9 and older. Can do up to dx11. You probably have access to over 80% software with it. Providing it's not locked behind very shit DRM.

Well it's like you're asking for a car, but you don't want to know how to drive.

Not bad for basic programs, but for less known, older, or more proprietary programs it's lacking. Linux still has more support for Windows programs than Windows does for Linux programs, and Linux is better at more things than Windows is. I dual boot and host VMs. If I wasn't lazy enough to setup GPU passthrough I would only use VMs.

Anyone have Ableton Live on Linux? Wine HQ gives Live 9 a gold rating and platinum for 8. From what I've heard it sounds difficult to set up. I'm switching to Linux once I have full access to Live

Listen to this guy and never ever use linux.
Thank you very much.
Deal with windows privacy policies. You're not welcome to linux sekret klub.

So, windows is self-driving car since 1995.

You seriously believe that Windows has been completely automated in its operation since 1995? You clearly know dick about operating systems.

Not really. Maybe it's like a bike with training wheels. You can ride it easily, but you can't ride it very fast, or do sharp turns or stunts or whatever, unless you remove the training wheels (eg, if you want to do 'advanced' stuff in windows that requires the command prompt or editing the registry)

So maybe it's like, you just asked for a mountain bike, and you're complaining that it doesn't have training wheels. (although it does have training wheels, there's loads of distros aimed at noobs, ubuntu, mint, etc. so I guess it's more like you're complaining that there's a chance that you might need to remove the training wheels.)

How much overhead is there? Will I still get 144hz and max settings in games?

>overhead
Between. -5% and 50% performance loss. Depends on game, WINE patches you install and WINE version

Yes.
- drives on it's own
- but from time to time it speeds to 100mph and rams a brick wall killing everyone inside
You'll never know when this happens, but it will.
Only thing you can do is try to prepare for this.

And linux is mechanical geared car which does what you tell it to do. And if it hits a tree or a wall it's your fault.

the ntp sync service in systemd linux is now called "timesyncd"

let that sink in: time sink demon

The only way to know is try. Fire up a VM and run what you want. GPU pass through on a Windows VM is an option too.

I have both Company of Heroes, and CoH 2 in my Steam catalog, and only CoH 2 is officially supported and hence installable in Linux. Is there a way to also install CoH? Through Wine? But that means it's outside the catalog and I can't play online with it.

install win steam through wine, then COH.
lutris.net/games/company-of-heroes/

Wait a few weeks for all the Level1Linux vudeos on Gaming on Linux to come out so you can make a judgement and have nice guides if you decide to do it.

Steam works mostly good and lots of games work. Gaming's been improving a lot lately. DX11 games have great support with dxvk DLLs. (see Github)

Attached: linux1.png (602x500, 12K)

>wine
why don't you just dualboot windows the superior option

You're gonna have a bad time with ASIO. Probably.
I didn't use Live, but tried running FL. It was okay, I guess.

Just get Bitwig and use JACK.

linux
>wine has been out for years, barely works

windows
>"""linux""" subsystem out of nowhere does everything you need without drama

rip

get a mac. mac is the best.

got one 3 years ago, and haven't looked back

>how is wine these days

Attached: 2018-08-02-035438_800x600_scrot-or8.png (800x600, 113K)

lubuntu
arc theme
breeze icons

>wine
wiki.ixit.cz/d3d9
dxvk

Dualboot is inconvenient and windows is inferior.

>barely works
Are you retarded? Large majority of shit can be run over wine.

large majority of useless shit*

Name something useful that doesn't work in wine

Pretty great. With DXVK it can run even DX11 stuff really well.
In some games my controller is mapped incorrectly though. I still keep my old windows 7 partition for Dark Souls and REmake because of that.

Exactly the same. "Wine has come very far" has been a meme for as long as I've known it. All it takes is for someone to try it and get lucky with the specific program and version they're trying and you've got another idiot repeating the same lies online.

It can be argued that wine works better than windows. A lot of older software that doesn't work in Windows 10 runs flawlessy in Wine.

>"Wine has come very far" has been a meme for as long as I've known it.
So it's all a conspiracy, huh? All of those user submitted reviews and instructions on WineHQ are faked? The ever growing list of supported software, too? Really makes me wonder if the stuff I'm running in Wine is actually doing anything, or is it all an illusion?
If anyone finds the need to use Wine, go with Wine Staging if your distros repos support it.

Which game?

Will you use dxvk?

It's better than what it used to be.

Most games that use DX11 can be played just fine with DXVK with minimal performance loss compared to Windows, and older DX9 games have had full support for quite a while already with *some* performance loss (which is negligible with modern hardware). Games locked behind certain types of DRM like Denuvo aren't playable, but beyond that the support is in a much stronger position today than it's ever been.

Also, for choice of distro I'd honestly just recommend one of the most popular like Ubuntu or Debian, as they have the best support for when you need guides and tutorials on how to do certain things, or finding drivers that work. They'll be as lightweight as you make them.

I am now reminded of all the poor windows PC users who switch over to Gnu+Linux just to get a TF2 tux items but wiped their partition drive of Windows and was stuck with whatever Gnu+Linux distro. Good times...

Attached: GotGV2_HD_Stills_26[1].jpg (2158x1136, 1.52M)

Shutup 10
Telemetry is kill

I WANT A TUX ITEM AAAAAAAH

Solution found. Surprised this thread is still going...I abandoned it almost half a day ago.

Wine works very well and with addons and configs like winetricks and especially DXVK ( directx to vulkan calls ) things are playable faster and better than ever

>still can't use solidworks
The day that's fixed is the day I drop windows.

>coh2 is supported
There haven't been patches in years and you cannot play multiplayer with the majority of players.

I'm curious too about COH2 and Wine as I play it with a few friends but I need to use Linux for work.

Tell them to port to linux

Killed by VMs.

>Enterprise level software
>From Enterprise level developer
>Only makes it for Enterprise level consumers
>Only supports windows
I'll take "no" for 200, Alex

>enterprise
corporate

Runs sqlyog like a champ. That’s about all I use it for.

>windows
>>"""linux""" subsystem out of nowhere does everything you need without drama
Not surprising considering windows runs on hidden UNIX logic and linux hands their system calls on a silver platter. Meanwhile WINE devs aren't allowed to write the same code windows uses and they have to reverse engineer shitty pajeet dlls for everything. It's almost a miracle that wine works at all.

>Only supports windows
This is a mistake since Linux is used in enterprise just as much

It's actually pretty good, and I love their codebase when it comes to understanding wtf win32 api is doing when I can't figure out some corner cases.

All in all, I'm excited for hidpi support that is being worked on. Lots of programs work fine with Wine, and when it comes to just getting shit done I think Wine is pretty useful. The real problem is non-cross platform codebases. As a general tool, I think it's pretty amazing.

Sperg.

Linux user of 10 years here. I havent used wine in 5+ years. I havent had a reason to...

>complaining about terminal
>being to retarded to use terminal
>using ellipses as pauses instead of commas

Yeah go back to with the other glue eaters.

install gentoo

Why do you think we'd care?

>Can you play steam games in wine?
Probably not but many steam games now run natively in linux

Friendly reminder that Linux is just a kernel used with the GNU operating system or Android on phones.

> Why do you think we'd care?
you seem to care, or are you just stupid?

If you configure shit correctly in Linux it will just week. But that means doing everything yourself. You can't pay for things to work like windows. You gotta make Linux work for you

Then why in the ever loving fuck did you even bother to post?

Kill yourself stallman you fat worthless fuck. Fat bastard has done more to hold back computing than fucking Apple.

I bet stallman is into some really perverted shit or something he doesn't want people to know about. With the amount of effort he puts in to hiding his data and what not