/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1533382688374.png (1048x1024, 261K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ImoutoChan/ImoutoProject/releases
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning#Partition_scheme
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_system_partition
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Boot_loaders
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gnu is a plague, desu.
Their software is 3/4 shittier than the alternative.

why?
Give examples

why to what?
It's a plague?
it's been leeching off Linux for decades. GNU/Linux implies GNU is at the forefront when that just isn't true.
GCC can be replaced
Gnome is shit.
Hurds dead
GuixSD is broken shit.

Gcc absolutely cannot be replaced man. That shit runs on literally anything and it's free.

llvm is the toolchain of choice for most compiler writers these days.

Just don't respond.

How do you configure vim to reflect your urxvt colors? I can only find info for changing the vim colors to the dozen or so templates included, or make your own, but I don't want to do that I just want it to follow my terminal colors.

What's a cool program that allows me to tag pictures and stuff and then search the tagged pictures like I would in for example a booru site

make it yourself.
but local boorus are pretty popular.

How do I solve this, installed xfce and removed my primary GNOME dekstop. Now after boot I am logged into terminal with my name. Without any desktop enviroment. Any way how do I save my shit?

Attached: 1530488365061.jpg (598x699, 133K)

use pywal

startxfce4

Thank you!

A display manager (such as LightDM plus its greeter) are another option, and allow you to choose what environment to boot into.
But they're not mandatory obviously.

>if you need a program just go spend dozens of hours developing it
Beautiful piece of advice

i already said there are ready solutions.
But being on linux and not knowing how to program is pretty silly.

Not him, but can you list a few? danbooru seems like too much of a Hindenburg, just looking at the services it depends on.

wtf I thought that's a crab first

Lmao what the fuck is wrong with you, what kind of reply is that to someone simply saying they don't have so much time to develop such a program for themselves? Do you do it?
I'm 100% sure you couldn't make an image viewing and tagging software yourself

>danbooru seems like too much of a Hindenburg
seems to be common, but github.com/ImoutoChan/ImoutoProject/releases looks promising if you can build it.
>I'm 100% sure you couldn't make an image viewing and tagging software yourself
if you ask nicely i'd consider it.

im a bit confused with partition things.
Could someone give me an example how to partition and then create filesystems for UEFI and single hard drive?
why after creating creating sda1 partition, sda2, and sda3 when in filesystems meniu i see 5 partitions! sda1, sda2, sdb1, dev/mapper/lastusername-vg-root, dev/mapper/lastusername-vg-swap_1 ?

GNU/Linux*

i literally told you what to do earlier.
And because you followed the directions blindly and used LVM
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM

Maybe you should find an install guide in your native language, you filthy ESL.

I've been having a/v sync issues with Kodi, smplayer can play the same content but doesn't have any issues. I've tried running Kodi in an xfce session and as it's own session. I've tried turning off vdpau and vaapi. I like Kodi for being a media center I can wean my girlfriend off netflix with but not if I can't stand the a/v sync. I know there's a manual tinker setting but It's too much of a pain in my ass to sync each episode of a tv show. For clarification I've seen it happen through the gamut of file rips. From 480p to 1080p.

i never got the point of kodi. Unless you really need to stream to other things. just set up a pretty front-end launcher and use mpv.

I want to use a freetard distro (Parabola), but I need the proprietary WiFi driver. Is there any way to add that thing to linyx libre? Don't really want to change the whole kernel just for one thing.

You need at least one EFI partition and one system partition.
Some opt to also create 1+ separate partitions for shit like /home etc.
Some opt to create a swap partition, others use a swap file or completely opt out.

After you partition and format, install the base system, then install and config the bootloader.

Here are some pointers
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning#Partition_scheme
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_system_partition
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Boot_loaders
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

You will likely also find a metric fuckton of guides on Youtube if you need a step by step guide.

Consider installing on a virtual machine first.

Meant for

Install systemd

>just set up a pretty front-end launcher and use mpv
Like I said, I'm trying to wean my gf off netflix/streaming services. It's a simple straight forward alternative we can use for any media. I'm using smplayer as an mpv frontend but that's not something that's as readable on a 40" set from across the room as Kodi.

>openrc
fixed

LVM is probably over your head atm, just go with bare partitions

I don't see what using a kernel has to do with one's programming ability.
Disconnect yourself, you fucking poser.

no that would be linux

t. brainlet

let me know when hurd and guix are actually usable.

So I fucked up and accidentally did a chown on the entire /etc directory
I could kinda fix it but now Nautilus is not showing connected disks to mount

anyone got any tips which files I have to correct the permissions to make it work again?

>dozens of hours
you can just use exiftools to manipulate the Exif.Photo.UserComment tag and then just coreutils to list them :^) could be done in 10 minutes

why would one care about imaginary kernel when there are OpenSolaris derivatives?

>You need at least one EFI partition and one system partition.
technically, you *could* make a linux filesystem image on the ESP and have the kernel loop mount it, resulting in having /only/ an ESP
but i doubt there's ever a good reason to do that, just "because you can"

>can't even develop their own kernel so they have to leech off another project
the absolute state.

isn't that literally a description of GNU?

-- actually, don't loop mount it, have it as an immutable file, and mount it by it's offset, that way you avoid the overhead of going through the vfat driver

do i have to have xorg to have somekind of gui, like windows manager like i3?

I'm just retarded
Had gparted open the whole time which blocks the drives from being accessed/mounted

Can you give different workspaces different wallpapers in i3?

it is possible, you can bindsym exec feh commands to change workspace and execute feh at the same time

your choices are xorg, xcb (xorg with new c bindings that are supposed to be better), or wayland.
they are display servers which also handle mouse and other inputs, so yes.

whats better, xorg or wayland and why?

wayland is objectively better but has awful adoption right now.
If you don't have a nvidia GPU, sway is really good for a tiling WM.
Gnome supports it, and fedora now defaults to it. There's also Liri OS which is an alpha Arch fork with a whole DE. Shame you currently can't fucking build it on Arch because of QT mismatches though.

If you're pretty close to a default install, and still have your usb or whatever you installed from, you could compare the two.
I think it should be mostly root:root, but a few things will have a different group ownership.

>Want to use Linux
>Am a retard at coding which I assume is the main reason for using Linux OS

Attached: Nakama Dayo.png (680x510, 356K)

programming isn't a requirement, as long as you know how to read and edit config files (which is most of linux use honestly). It just makes it easier and better than windows.

for((i=0;i

is there any terminal tool to automatically rotate scanned book pages?
even detected angle would be enough

Attached: 1529595875529.jpg (411x358, 16K)

you dont
i know absolutely 0 programming an i use debian

You surly meant GNU/Linux.

So what motivated you to use Debian and what do you mostly use it for?

Yeah it's fairly fresh
I'll fix stuff when it comes up (hopefully not much)

no i didn't as there's nothing GNU on my system.

I wanted to remove my windows partition so i did a fresh install of linux mint 19. Now however, when i get to th elogin screen it just freezes? Should i reinstall?

Then you should go back to the reddit where you belong.

what do you mean freezes?
It shows the login but you can't type or move your mouse?
can you switch TTYs (press ctrl-alt+ F1-8)?

to get away from windows
i dont want to be bothered by updates that will break things ive set up

>Want to use Linux
GNU/Linux*
>Am a retard at coding
programming*
>which I assume is the main reason for using Linux OS
a GNU/Linux based OS*

And no, you don't need to know how to program to use GNU/Linux, unless you want to write scripts to automate shit.

Distros like Ubuntu don't require you ever touching the cli. Give it a go. Don't be shy.

that's not really a positive.

You don't need to know shit to write scripts, just how to google properly

Attached: giphy.gif (500x250, 608K)

Back in my days the terminal was hard-ware. They don't make them like this anymore; all you get is a terminal emulator.

Attached: 1533327223843.jpg (633x640, 47K)

Hello friends,
how can I make it so that any and every instance of the Ranger file browser that is launched by me or some program does so on a particular terminal emulator instead of xterm?

So far it launches just fine on st whenever I tell it to, but when an external program launches the "browse files" command, it tends to do so in an xterm ranger instance. How do I force it to always use st instead of xterm? (Would that be unwise to do globally?)

i3 is a steppingstone to pure cli on a crt

No, and don't call me shirley.

>Linux with no graphics
what's the point, desu.

*use a search engine properly

>learn nothing about programming
>have to use jewgle every time you need to write something
>coy ans paste for hours until you get what you want
vs
>learn basic programming
>read a little of bash
>make whatever you want in less than 10 minutes

graphics are the work of the devil

even templeOS has graphics though.
checkmate nerd

Is there a noob friendly way to build from source/github on Ubuntu?
I've been using Arch for a long time because the yaourt makes the AUR super easy.

./configure
make
make install

That color glimmering was usually a sign that a game was cracked, followed by a testosterone dick waving logo of the cracking crew and cheat selections - before the program started.

The whole thing escalated quickly; you gad like 64k of RAM and therefore limited ways to impresss the user, so you hacked your way using every bug and leak to present a cool animation for your crew. That.s how the demoscebe started and disks with nothing but such hack-demonstrations on it. Cool shit, look it up.

I can move the mouse a little bit and type a few letter then it just stops and doesn't react

Just use tmux you dweeb

Attached: 1533090721698.png (1920x1080, 98K)

tesseract (OCR software) has a mode which just does orientation/script detection
you could scrape that and have imagemagick rotate images, or tag images with appropriate rotation exif metadata

Attached: a.png (856x623, 475K)

read through your /var/log/ folder
or just reinstall i guess.

>nano
user you went through a Gentoo installation but didn't learn how to use vim or emacs? Talk about misplaced priorities

Why do people use shit like sublime text? Why is it so popular?

It's the text editor popular with ubuntu babies and hello world tutorials on youtube.
install VS Code.

Heh,
>Why do people use shit like Apple hardware? Why is it so popular?
>Why do people use shit like Microsoft software? Why is it so popular?
>Why do people use shit like Discord? Why is it so popular?
>Why do people use shit like Google Chrome? Why is it so popular?
Pretty sure the answer is the same. :^)

b/c it's popular

Am I supposed to just see a flash of color bars and then the "proudly presents" bit? Or some sort of animation?

Wondering if there's something wrong with my terminal emulator or if that was the intended effect

>installing gentoo
>harder than earning vim or emacs
u serious nigga?

i've installed and used gentoo for a year and only know enough vim to quit it, and i've never installed emacs before

vi/m is easy, it's just a pain to use, and you can rat hole on ricing and keybinds forever.

That's not what I meant.

I meant more like if you went through the bother to install Gentoo I'd expect you to at least know the basics of a decent terminal text editor. Editing makefiles and configs with nano sounds tedious as all hell.

>Only enough to know how to quit
Well, that's a start I guess. Emacs' keybinds are ass, but it is very powerful. Some people recommend Emacs with EVIL mode plugin (vim keybinds) for ultimate text editing experience

>Vim
>pain to use
uwotm8
Once you learn the basics you end up wishing everything had similar controls

I finally decided to try out lunix and installed ubuntu on my laptop but the problem I have is with the black bar on top and want to remove it. The one that says "Add-ons Manager - Mozilla Firefox"

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-04 18-32-54.png (1366x768, 49K)

Just the color bars and the animated text, yeah. Sorry to disappoint you.

That's just the title bar user. I haven't used Unity (Ubuntu's default desktop environment) in a long time, but I assume there's an easy option to tick off in its appearance settings menu or something like that, so it doesn't show title bars

You didn't disappoint me user, that was pretty cool
Bash scripting is something I know next to nothing about, I should probably try my hand at it