What is the oldest hardware you still use?

Attached: 1533161523471.png (416x289, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA/videos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

AUX cable.

Extension cable from the 70s?

ur mum

Nice.
Lets get those things out onto a tray.

desktop is an E8400 C2D

Attached: ice_cold.png (307x605, 110K)

I use pic related as my case

Attached: Dell Dimension L1000R.jpg (869x767, 51K)

I've dubbed it Chernobyl, no fans or air intake at all. CPU reaches upwards of 80C+ when rendering. And yes, it is directly underneath the PSU.

Attached: Chernobyl 2.jpg (774x1032, 507K)

A have a new-old-stock 600 watt rosewill PSU from circa 2004 with sleeved cables. I also have a Radeon 4870 in one of my "retro gaming" builds.

>no fans or cooling
What's the life expectancy of this hardware?

Use regularly? PowerPC G4. Use occasionally? Motorola 68030 in my Amiga.

You tell me, this is how it idles.

Attached: Capture.png (420x594, 26K)

Bit high on the CPU. ARK lists a max thermal of 66°C for safe operation of this CPU, not that much headroom there. I live in a very hot environment with no air conditioning and my SB i5 idles 10° lower than that. I would only be worried about the CPU under load, everything else looks okay.

I use both daily

Attached: IMG_20180804_182110.jpg (2240x3968, 2.05M)

Core2 Duo E4500

Wow, let me guess what brand your camera is.

Huawei P10 lite dumdum

An Akai CS-F9 with a JVC amp from the same years. I have an older sony piece of Hifi equipment (reel2reel tape deck) but I don't use it that much.

I was actually gonna say Huawei. Who's the dum dum now?

What do you do?

Why don’t you get a proper case with a fan?

Programming student. I also invest in stocks

bones

First Gen i7 with WD Raptor RAID 0

10 yo cpu/mobo/ram and 5 yo hdds

you dont know anything about me

I still use my original PC from 1995

But I did upgrade every component several times including the case.

You can mod the case though.

At work we were using 2006 era Athlon X2s with 4GB of RAM until a few months ago.
Combined with McAfee shitware, it was fucking painful. Oh and we aren't allowed to bring in our own hardware.

Finally upgraded, and everyone now has Probooks with an i5-6xxx mobile something. Definetly more usable, but I was able to find a ZBook with a i7-4810MQ and 32GB of RAM, so I'm happy now.

>claims to use the same pc since 1995
>replaced literally the whole pc

????

Attached: 14637593567342.jpg (241x247, 9K)

Ship of Theseus?

that's hot

Is it not the same PC though if the components have not just been swapped, but wholly upgraded with new ones?

That's a topic bigger than this thread.

>CPU reaches upwards of 80C+ when rendering

That's perfectly normal.
Macbooks become a lot hotter even with just light browsing.

Yeah, philosophers have debated that for millennia.

I personally think that with a computer, it's identity lies with the CPU + Mobo.
If I stuck a Ryzen 2 with motherboard+RAM in a case from 1997, and connected all the other components, it wouldn't be referred to as a computer from 1997. It's a Ryzen machine in an old case with old peripherals attached.

keyboard from isekai

surely it's identity lies with the case?

1990s Stereo amp. use it to hook my 2000s B&W speakers up to my pc.

i also regularly wear a watch from the 70s but watches are b& subject matter for Jow Forums.

for pc's specifically I use a c2d e7400 as a HTPC

30 year old dos machine?

That's interesting and the way you think is logical.
I identify my PC with the case it has (1998 Fujitsu beige box). It had tons of different hardware in it but it just "feels" like it is the one I had for all those years when I look at it and that's just what counts for me personally. Just lots of fond memories in that case.

Attached: happydoggo.jpg (379x406, 24K)

How do you do, fellow fx-82D user?

Attached: 20180804_002.jpg (845x476, 182K)

I like how the case looks, and it's compact.

I've got an xbox 360 controller that I got at launch. I still use it wirelessly for pc gaming. So 2005. It still has the original battery and everything. The damn battery still lasts for like 10 hours per charge. I have no clue how it's still working.

Think about it, every cell in your body is replaced, and after 7 years they say not a single one remains. Is it the same "you" or another being altogether?

Not every cell gets replaced in your body. That is a lie.

My computer is in a Power Mac G5 case, but I don't think that it qualifies as the same computer that came out of Apple's factory in 2003. It has none of the original electronics.

I can jive with that, I've upgraded my computer in increments in my G5 case, replacing the mobo+CPU, but it still "feels" like the same PC.

replaced cells don't make anything work different, look different or have a different shape. a better analogy would be a transplant

if you replaced the brain in a human body, would that human body be still the same person?

Your cells are replaced, but with functionally identical ones. If my 1999 computer breaks, and I replace the motherboard with another exact same model, it's basically the same computer.

Also, the brain is the seat of consciousness (what defines "you"), and your brain cells don't regenerate or get replaced. You basically have them for life. If your friend's body got wrecked, and he had a brain transplant, you wouldn't consider his new body "not him".

Attached: nokia 1280.jpg (562x450, 27K)

>That is a lie.
[citation needed]

Idk man, I'm a lot stronger than when I was 5, and taller too, sounds more like an upgrade than a direct replacement in comparison

You have more cells, not different cells.

Think of it as basically a child is an adult under construction.

that is an awesome YouTuber, he looks like TheReportOfTheWeek older brother

Your brain cells don't get replaced over your lifetime, but I guess all the cells in your body specifically get replaced.

he's also way too pure for the shithole that is YT. I hope it won't fuck him up in the long run.

The community that watches his videos is pretty cool so far--I would like to believe. After all most of us that watch his videos are boomers. I just hope that faggots that harass TheReportOfTheWeek don't find his channel

That's not the same computer then.

I still have mine, I can't bear to throw it out, I only use it for occasional gta sa, and i kinda like the silver. (dell insp530)

Attached: 1996-renault-twingo-1300700-5482573.jpg (520x360, 30K)

Who?

youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA/videos

Attached: Twepe.jpg (279x261, 17K)

This old mofo from 1992.

Attached: DSC_0013.jpg (1990x2521, 875K)

8 MB (megabyte) SD card for when i need to print shit like id photos or shipping labels at public places.

wat.
I suppose it had several battery replacements in its time, right?

Probably just a shitty surge protector now.

my smart phone is a few years old, just no need to upgrade right now

I have no idea how this is called in english, its a very limited radio receiver with a speaker. There was something specific about its frequencies, and the volume was tied to frequency (you had channel A, and channel A loud for example). Its a commie thing, late 70s or early 80s I think. It still worked until some time in 2017, when they killed the transmission officially.

Attached: radiotochka.jpg (1024x768, 250K)

I'm about to drive about 90 minutes each way buy a couple weird Dell servers that run dual Xeon L5420s. They will probably be the oldest thing I'm running once I shut down my really old servers (i.e P3 Xeons) at work.

I have a dynaco sca35 that I use for my stereo. I got it used so I'm not sure what has been replaced but I swapped the volume pot for an Alps, and obviously the tubes aren't the originals. The resistors and caps all look like they're original although it's possible that they were replaced with other vintage parts at some point. Pretty good sounding amp for the money given I prefer my audio on the warmer side

Attached: SCA35_photob_850.jpg (850x405, 68K)

my nigga

underrated kek

a few 70's era stereo amps

your mom

Attached: F8020B_003.jpg (768x1024, 618K)

It had it's last battery replacement 3 years ago. Still works pretty fine. This shit outlived many of my younger APC-s (either they outright died, or started killing batteries prematurely), so I just keep using it.

Attached: comfy.jpg (3376x4966, 3.76M)

Very nice.

>No 5 1/4 floppy
Is that a hard disk in its place?

Yes.

Attached: comfy.jpg (6000x4000, 1.27M)

That is premium my guy.
I dislike that computers aren't as comfy now, but I would have never been able to afford an AT.

>hurr it's a compooter that means it's teckmolergy
Jow Forums needs a home decor board because this shit like this is only borderline related

Shut the fuck up retard

I use an Intel E8400 (which is just over 10 years old) in my home server.
It still runs fine and is adequate for what I use it for.

Oldest computer I still use is probably my Power Macintosh 7500/100, purchased December 1995, which because of some moron who insisted on carrying my shit to the dorm when I went to university in 2009 is now housed in a G3 donor shell. My family also had an early iMac G3 at one point, but that fell victim to one of my mom's anti-junk crusades while I was away at university. I still use the 7500 when I need to write things, or get away from the internet for a while, but it's not something I use on a regular basis.

Oldest piece of tech I still use, if power tools count, is a Black & Decker jigsaw from the 1960s. The fucking thing is all cast steel, ridiculously heavy but durable as all hell.

Now this is what I call comfy

Attached: IMG_0785.jpg (4032x3024, 1.6M)

very nice

My G757 from the early 80s

my speakers. they're like 20 years old.

I have a tv from 2004 that i use to play with my raspberry pi.
I have to always get weird cables to work around it's lack of modern inputs like HDMI but I love this fucking thing. I've been through so much with it.

Attached: 1533414669247.jpg (534x738, 196K)

Eyeliner never looks good on dudes

Ergonomics is an essential portion of computing, otherwise you're just gonna wreck yourself

also don't forget frequent breaks

those posts have nothing to do with ergonomics

some fag just keeps reposting his "retro corner" over and over like some camwhore flashing tits for attention. there is never any associated technology discussion, at best only "le 80s computers" circlejerking

My 980ti because I upgraded everything else a few months ago and wasn’t going to shell out 1500 for a 1080ti

A 7 year old 800W PSU.

You took the words out of my mouth.

IBM Thinkpad T42 running Arch LXDE
~90MB ran while idle
Haven’t touched it in awhile

Computer hardware... Toshiba Satellite A105

1982 Luxman L-430 Stereo Integrated Amplifier

Attached: 1452705807730.png (414x248, 67K)

wow, my father owned both. He passed away two years ago. Ty for the feel. All is fine now

nvidia 6600 geforce
it can run rainbow 6 at 45 fps so I haven't upgraded yet

C2Q CPU from 2008.
There probably are older things I use, but can't remember now (just woke up).