Did I just cook my laptop's power brick?

>accidentally dropped it into a sink full of water
>set it out to dry for a while, rub and blot everything dry with a towel
>all looks fine but when I plug it into my laptop, nothing happens

Is there something I'm missing here?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 113K)

>>accidentally dropped it into a sink full of water
>Is there something I'm missing here?
Some neurons

You forgot to install gentoo

Caps prolly still had power and shorted something. Open it up and replace caps or buy a new one like the faggot you are

>Open it up and
Most bricks are sealed--you can't open them.

Plug the charger in, hold the laptop, place it back in the water and off yourself.

I want to brick my laptop due to warranty, should I do this or wrap it in a blanket and mine crypto on it?

Buy a new one for $5 and fuck off.

You'll need to let it dry for a week or more.

This.

No power brick is worth risking your life over.

WTF. Are you trying to get him electrocuted or something?

It's Jow Forums, dude. Did you expect us to have morals here?

Some power bricks have a breaker or fuse inside and you can wait for it to dry out. After it is dry, plug it in again. It will probably be ok

If it doesn't work when dry, or if the built-in breaker snaps off, (if it has one) or if your house fuse or circuit breaker snaps off, throw the power brick away.

This isn't /b/ you fucking redditor. Pack your 9gag memes and fuck off back to funnyjunk.

>Some power bricks have a breaker or fuse inside
I've never seen one that had this. Usually they're sealed inside.

Do not just get some cheap chink power brick for $5. They are notorious for frying shit. Also, power bricks are capacitive power supplies which means they will hold their charge after power has been disconnected, like any capacitor (you ever notice how the little green light stays on for a few seconds after you unplug it), and can actually hold a charge for a while (iirc power supplies on desktops can hold a charge for months, although dont quote me on that). So even if it isn't plugged in something could have still short circuited.

In my opinion, replace it, power supplies aren't really the place to start to learn how to electronics. But as I said before, I would highly recommend not cheaping out and just spring for the factory power supply designed for your laptop made by the laptop manufacturer. You can cheap out on lots of things, power supplies are not one of those things.

Then why did you post , , and

I didn't post those, they were escaped Redditors.

it is sealed inside. still a fuse in there. desktop psus have em too.

Dude...DDOSing the Scientology website isn't the same thing as getting someone electrocuted.

If it's sealed, how could it get water inside?

there's a wonderful tool you may have not heard of that's really god at turning can'ts into cans.
it's a hammer. Gently but firmly whack on the seam of the power brick and eventually it will come open without really damaging anything inside. A big pair of vice grips works too.

it's plastic welded shut but it isn't watertight

It's fucking astonishing how dumb Jow Forums is when it comes to anything electrical.
Open it up, grab a multimeter and check if anything is bad, probably a bad cap or fried fuse inside of it, as said.

Are you retarded? Never seen a brick that couldn't be opened, even Apple's ones are easy to open up.

12v won't kill anyone, dumbasses.

>fixing a power brick is a life risk
Go back to your mom's house already.

There are no "breakers" inside those, their current limiting is done differently. There are still fuses that could've gone bad tho.

>actually hold a charge for a while
They can hold it for long times, but the charge itself is nothing meaningful (charging a 220~450v cap and sticking it in a friend's arm is a nice prank to do, btw).
>power supplies aren't really the place to start to learn how to electronics
They are, building your own lab bench power supply from an old PSU is a great project to do.

While this thread is here, I had this old Gateway P4 tower that was in a basement flood. A bunch of water ran out of the bottom of the case when I picked it up, but after opening it up there was no discernible sign that the motherboard got wet.

Is it ok or...?

Attached: 590489894894.png (1001x611, 65K)

>wrap it in a blanket and mine crypto on it
Won't work, there are security measures against this.
>water it
Will work but the seller will be able to know you've put it in water and he will refuse your warranty.

Try to open your laptop and discretely burn important wires.

Check the motherboard for any signs of residue from water. If you don't see anything, it's probably ok but you should let it sit for a while to dry.

I had done that. The bottom of the case is just slightly damp but there's no indication that the board got wet.

dude capacitors that can be charged up for literally months at a time lmao

Ok then. Just let it dry for a few days (to be safe).

>It's fucking astonishing how dumb Jow Forums is when it comes to anything electrical.
>12v won't kill anyone, dumbasses.

You're the idiot son. Voltage doesn't kill, it's the Ampage.

Yes, I would imagine you would hardly feel a tinge from 5v to 12v. But it only takes 100mA to affect the human heart. Anything connected to the mains is going to be dangerous.

Hey, why not follow my original advice and give it a try. One less fucking retard on the planet had got to be a help.

>newfags like this who don't into Jow Forums culture

>Gateway
Should have been junked in either case.