Which is hardest to install?

Which is hardest to install?

I remember Arch being difficult to install the first 2-3 times I did it, but now it's a piece of cake.

Never successfully installed Gentoo, but I want to give it another go. What should I expect?

Attached: index.jpg (340x148, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
cloveros.ga/
fqa.9front.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they are both easy
LFS is the final boss, kiddo

Last time I tried to install Gentoo it was far from easy. I did not even manage to install it correctly.

Gentoo is very easy if you know what you're doing and have time. The install manual is good but still overload for someone who does not know basic unix principles
For arch see pic related

Attached: arch too easy to install.png (3300x6993, 1.54M)

Full time Gentoo user here, never used arch but I often install for some friends. You know the pacstrap part? In Gentoo you'll need to:
- Download and unrar stage 3 (your base system without a kernel)
- Compile the kernel
Other than that, and setup Cflags it's pretty much the same, install network stuff and bootloader.

LFS is also not hard. It's just a guide.
Arch isn't even remotely hard. It has an installer by default (pacstrap), all you have to do is partition and mount (+ timezones/locales). Gentoo is slightly harder simply because there's more shit

I once saw a pic on Jow Forums with a simplified install guide of arch. Does a picture like that exist for gentoo?

Seconds to this

Attached: contextjpg.jpg (1919x1018, 103K)

I honestly don't understand the arch is hard to install meme
I followed a youtube tutorial and it took 15 minutes worked perfectly
What is hard about manually partitioning a drive and then downloading/installing a bunch of software?

Yeah, once you know your way around a Linux system, installing Arch is dead simple. Installing Gentoo isn't that different, it merely has a few more steps than Arch does. So just get the install done - you can rice the system as much as you want after it's bootable.

It was hard for me since my only experience with Linux installation prior to that was Ubuntu.
Not everyone has the same background as you, mate.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist

>He was born understanding linux

new guide is better

Thanks. No make this into a picture with memes so that I can comprehend.

Use the full install guide
If you want a meme distro use cloveros:
cloveros.ga/
For the ultimate meme os install 9front:
fqa.9front.org/

does anyone have the OS pyramid in large?

Attached: 9front.png (500x647, 98K)

Why are these meme distros?

There are people in this board who don't know how to install an OS. There's a fucking step-by-step guide on both wikis. Are you too fucking dumb to read instructions and do what it says?

Attached: 1531407255972.jpg (1218x1015, 212K)

I find it amusing that you actually took time out of your life just to post this.

Gentoo is only hard if you want to configure the kernel yourself, since it involves some research.
Otherwise it's just following instructions.

the arch guide is god awful
>now install a bootloader
>here's a link to to a page with 9 different ones
>we won't recommend anything it's your choice :*)

it's not made for retards

if you like your hand held go with windows or macos or ubuntu even

so it's not a step-by-step guide

I'm good, still doesn't make the guide any better

> so it's not a step by step guide
it is if you know what you're doing, you're supposed to read and understand what you're typing, this shit isn't Ubuntu, most problems that people have with arch come from retards that just followed a random youtube guide or morons using Manjaro/Antergos
these people are incompatible with distros like Arch or source based distros like Gentoo and Crux, please leave, we don't want you

Gentoo is just more time wasting for compilations that there are no reason to do. Most people end up with a very similar setups to any other modern distro, or they save a gig or two, WHAT A SAVE for hours of CPU time wasted. Other than compiling and fiddling with flags the both are identical, inb4 MUH NO SYSTEMD

Attached: bluescreen.jpg (495x600, 242K)

>"why do I have to choose it? wahh"
What are you even installing Arch for? If you want all the choices made for you out-of-the-box, just install Ubuntu or Fedora. Or, you know, since you don't have any other reason to pick any other bootloader, just pick GRUB.

holy shit just vasile --srcmode or read the manual
how can you fuck up a step by step play?

ye,
1. install redcore
2. open terminal
3. su
4. vasile --srcmode
5. no fifth step

retards probably look up a youtube video because the guide doesn't tell you everything you need to know, gentoo handbook is a good step-by-step guide, also explaining everything as it goes, and also manages to be more of a noob filter than arch

>just pick GRUB
they should recommend that in the guide

>they should recommend that in the guide
Why though? You can pick anything that works. GRUB is just the most popular, you don't need Arch Wiki to recommend you that, just from basic familiarity with the Linux ecosystem you should know that. The Arch website is pretty explicit that Arch is not meant to be a first distro iirc, if you don't know these things you should really spend more time learning Linux from a more standard distro.

handholding youtube videos are sometimes better than text guides because nothing is implied. you see the cause and effect happening you don't have to just trust that the guide is well written.
I agree though that if you don't understand simple shit like different filesystems and can't at least google them you're hopeless.
If you're just blindly parroting shit into the console without at least learning what it does what's the point.

does gentoo with proper flags werk better for gaymes under wine?

Arch's wiki is easy to follow. Gentoo's is not.

same here, unironically

for any toal noobs who don't know, "install gentoo" is a meme translating to "my solution to your problem is to recommend something not only silly but also ridiculously hard"

> Arch's wiki is easy to follow. Gentoo's is not.
can we just agree that they both suck?

read the FreeBSD docs one day...

>they should recommend that in the guide
>first on the list has the most checkmarks and is used on literally every sane distro for normal people
pic related
wow that looks almost the same as arch, you just have to do some repositories sync and shit but it looks as easy. although arch puts the user you create by default in a lot of groups so you only have to add him to wheel

Attached: hurr what do.png (1695x743, 155K)

>meme translating to "my solution to your problem is to recommend something not only silly but also ridiculously hard"
False, "install gentoo" means "lurk more, when you can actually install gentoo you won't have that stupid question"

okay, this is based

I thought the point of compiling your own shit was to have greater control over your system, rather than save disk space.

>he doesn't install both simultaneously on company hardware while on the clock

Attached: dn1.png (1713x1080, 1.35M)

just because you do not use any of the advantages gentoo provides does not mean nobody else does

Install gentoo

Be honest, how often do you patch things or use compile settings significantly different enough from the default for that 'control' to matter?

If you actually do that often, power to you, and by all means you should go with Gentoo/a source-based distro. But I suspect you (and if not you specifically, then certainly the average user in general) don't, so the incredibly minor optimizations you get from compiling everything yourself isn't worth the time it all takes.

You're assuming that people only do this for strictly practical reasons.

Some people have fun poking around and seeing what happens, even if it it means wasting some time.

>It has an installer by default (pacstrap), all you have to do is partition and mount
you can partition with this arch installer?

Arch takes 10 minutes to install.

>Gentoo is the same as Arch
lol

gentoo runs on sparc, alpha, 68k, mips, and so on. arch does not. gentoo and arch are in completely different leagues, and gentoo is in the better league.

arch is x86 optimized, it is a binary distro. debian supports far more architectures than arch does.

i dont know why you are choosing these 2 completely different distros. arch is going to be easier to install than gentoo, since it is a binary distro

But if i'm not using sparc, alpha, mips, and so on, why would I use gentoo over arch? If my use case is only x86_64, then why not use arch?

>arch is going to be easier to install than gentoo

Isn't that a good thing? Or are you simply trying to imply a sense of superiority of yourself over the Arch user by saying that you have more patience and time than he does? If so, maybe the Arch user doesn't want to be burdened by compiling everything. Maybe actually using his computer is more important than configuring it.

Are we still having this dick measuring contest? Just install it. If you find it hard move on to something else. No need to be a fucking sperg about it.

What’s the point of installing gentoo? Why should I install it instead of mint?
Can I run Netbeans or other IDE’s in gentoo?
Can I watch youtube videos in gentoo?

Yes to all of those
Basically, the point is compiling, looking at code and setting up flags so you have it optimized and customized / catered to your liking.
I'd just recommend LFS or Slackware though.

>LFS = hardcore
>Slackware = ncurses installer

is there any comparison?

You can compile it for speed, for compilation speed, for storage efficency

The real work in gentoo is not the install, but the maintenance. Every time you emerge sync emerge world it's a crapshoot.

One difference worth mentioning is that Arch provides chroot scripts while Gentoo doesn't, so you have to manually set up the chroot in Gentoo. If you're not sure you'll do the install in one go (or that Gentoo will boot when you first reboot into it), it's probably best to script the chroot setup yourself. Of course, you can just copy-paste the lines from the wiki.

Gentoo is harder, but not always by a huge margin.
If you use genkernel you'll have a very easy time installing it, so much so that I DONT think you should even be able to claim you've installed gentoo.
Actually creating your own kernel is by far the hardest part though, should you choose to do it.

if you want something easy but good and happy with the default software install Debian GNU/Linux

if you want to build some custom source code and compile from source something specific install Slackware,

Debian for out of the box
Slackware for custom setups

i would not waste my time with any other distro

>Slackware

This.
Take your time to really understand the most important packages. And read the Slackbook.

Once you got it all running well and played arround for a while (maybe replace lilo with grub, do some manual dependency management, customize stuff for X and such things and of course learn your GNU core utils) installing Arch or Gentoo or Debian will be MUCH easier, since you know a big deal about how things work together.

calculate

>Isn't that a good thing? Or are you simply trying to imply a sense of superiority of yourself over the Arch user
Im a Debian user faggot. Also, I am answering the OPs question, why are you sperging out about it?

Isn't LFS basically Gentoo without Portage?

hold your horses man
gentoo does some flags shit with their package manager too so you can skip some dependencies or smth, it's not just the compiling

Lfs

make localyesconfig

Attached: 4d7.png (700x700, 825K)

I would pick debian or gentoo over arch any day. I don't know why so many people shill arch when sid is just as or even more up to date

Installing gentoo takes much more time due to compilation. Oh, and you'll have to get used to portage basic usage, it'll take time too. In other ways, it's the same.

Take your CPU.
Compile gcc from source.
Are you satisfied with the speed? You can install Gentoo.
Halfway your house burned down? Maybe don't.

Come on, Arch is actually much stabler than Sid and packages are not older
As much as I like Debian, Arch is a better RR than Sid

I think it's more important to look at use cases:

Do you want an always cutting edge, impossible to select specific versions of packages? Choose Arch.

Do you want a system that is extremely flexible, permits easy feature selection, and allows you to choose versions of software based on stability as reported by the devs, choose gentoo.

My personal opinion is Archlinux is sort of easy to break because the quality of packages is a somewhat lower standard, even in community, and certainly in AUR; whereas the ebuild system appears to be a lot safer to use, even if you are an idiot. And you can't really select software based on practical stability (and only choose the known working but not stable versions like you can in any other sane distro such as gentoo).

Though, if you do something absolutely retarded like needlessly accepting ~amd64 system-wide, that's on you.

Well if you skip a dependency what do you think it does? It just saves the space on your drive and nothing more. Say there is an option to build cmake with a GUI or without a GUI - building it with a GUI would take like 3 additional MBs of storage.

does not matter, only a select group of faggots use arch or gentoo, regular peoples don't fucking lose time to install such crap. they should fucking make an "installer" if they are so "great"

Yeah, don't use genkernel. Not sure why it's recommended anymore. The trick is to compile EVERYTHING enabled, and only disable what you know you don't need (or use the genkernel config as a base, but this is probably more effort).

I think you can enable everything (and go from there) with make allmodconfig.

Sure you get a bloaty kernel, but that's roughly what every other distro does anyway; and there is always the fact that you won't be loading modules you won't need because udev does it for you.

samefag here-

Of course you might be able to get away with the default linux config without many modifications, but in practice that seems difficult unless you're running a headless server that simply needs to link up to a network.

That's what I did for my gentoo on vultr actually, i just used the default config, enabled stuff for docker, removed all drivers for disk/net/whatever except for virtio and it works great.

Or you could use the fully functional Nix package manager and get binaries for common upstream builds and compile if you want your own build.
You have to manually set up your own binhost on Gentoo, to use community driven binhosts you need to use CloverOS or Sabayon.