How often do you switch jobs? Every year and a half or almost 20 months is good enough right?

How often do you switch jobs? Every year and a half or almost 20 months is good enough right?

Attached: images.jpg (234x216, 10K)

Every 1.5 years or less. The "find somewhere good and stay there" meme will only cause your skills to stagnate.

Thanks for answering
My skills are actually stagnating and I'm becoming that legacy guy who doesn't have much work except his dedicated clients who I already built so well I don't need to continue to support them and change things for them because everything works so well

Time to move on than aye

Once a year. I can stay and get like 1-2% raise or move on and get a 10%+ raise.

A guy i used to work with only stayed like 8 months, he was a CCIE and in his 40-50s he only stayed for like 8 months and found something better

This is my first job, but I'll probably stay until I'm senior, so about 1-2 more years for 3-4 years total. Our company is still one of the better ones around aside from internal issues. Annual raises are generally 4.5-7%, promotions are usually 10-20%.

If by some miracle the internal issues work themselves out, I'll stay longer and try to get to staff. If not, whatever, GE, Pandora, Square and a bunch of other companies are hiring here and I've already got inquiries from a few of them. It's not uncommon for people here to stay 5+ years, so unless things go to shit real quick, I'll stay until they begin to degrade to the point where I hate work, then I'll look for real.

Here in the Bay Area most people change jobs every 2 years.

I stay at least 1 year. I've had like 5 SRE/DO jobs and always get "hur hur u only stay at places 1-2 yrs y?!?!?!"

i can't even find a job

What field? what skills do you have
what area?

bump

Attached: 1532993574585.png (632x852, 47K)

Try not to do under two years regularly unless you are doing contract work.

Still don't have a job either, but most people I know will keep one for around 6 months to a year before finding a new one

>wagecuck

hah no thanks

>dad knocks on bedroom door
>son, are you jacking off to Roblox again?
>no dad, just go away. god
>son, your mother had to speak to you last week about this
>you were spurting cummies
>dad i'm 32 years old please go away
>you're living under my roof son
>i'm telling your mother's boyfriend and he's gonna take your android device away
>door closes
>unzip plastic asphixiation jackoff bag from around my head
>pause roblox 'let's play' video on youtube
>post on tumblr about how my racist parents don't respect my new gender
>decide to walk to the store to get some pockey sticks
>walk on all fours
>drop off pair of scissors at knife bin on the way to Tesco
>don't need these anymore its 2018
>get gang raped by HIV+ somalian welfare migrants in broad daylight
>groaning in gutter
>farting out cume loads
>obese female cop walking down the street rushes over
>tazes me
>get arrested for wasting somalian cum
>charged w/ three counts of islamaphobia
>three weeks later get released from mental re-education facility
>feeling much better now that the state has me on SSRI's and lithium

Attached: IMG_1479.png (500x518, 58K)

I can shave my legs and look pretty. I get a pot of upvotes on r/traps.

If you are working in pure software I guess. I work in IT for a corporation with a very defined hierarchy and positions. It would be dumb to leave unless I feel like I am being left behind.

Most places won't even hire you if you can't keep a job for at least a year.

Does moving into new positions within the same company count.

Try camwhoring then

Do you like sucking dick?

>Try not to do under two years regularly unless you are doing contract work.
This. Two years is "the standard" where recruiters and HR don't raise eyebrows.

>the state of the tech industry
So glad I work for a company where 5 10 or 20 years service isn't unusual

It's only in america like that. Here in europe it's not rare to stay with a company for multiple years, especially if it's a bigger one like siemens or bosch.

What do you mean? You can stay with the same company if you want. I just get bored of the work and want more pay so I hop from job to job. It's all voluntary.

Companies bore you and don't train as they expect you to leave in 2 years max.

My work actually trains and hires internally.

The longer you stay unemployed the worse your situation will get. Ask a friend or pick something up even if you think it's "beneath you". You can easily become delusional about what you deserve or what a particular job involves.

You mean like working in a factory?
I have 2 years of working as a quality inspector in the aerospace industry. It's not bad and I know people working here for 5 years+ but they don't seem very fulfilled or admirable. In fact they're very much drones just going the usual family/house/car/vacation route.
But hey, some people are content with just that. It's definitely one of the most secure ways of living your life. But it's also very dull.

If you do not stay for 2 years there is no incentive to invest in you.

It is better to have a few jobs on your resume that is about 4 years at least. That means you are not a job hopper and are willing to stay if the conditions are good. Besides most employees do not deliver much value in the first three quarters to a year.

Seems they train me enough to be able to find a better job, so good on them.
Anyway I'd be a neet if I didn't love money so. Fuck work.

You move when you need to - i.e. to get a much better job/salary or if you absolutely hate working where you are. Minimum 2-3 years on each place.

Too much job switching and potential employers won't want you.

I dont get paid as much as someone at Google but I like what I work on and its comfy as fuck. Plus I dont have to worry about pajeets stealing my job. So I'll probably stay at it until my wife and I decide on where we want to move to in the future. Plus most places, unless a startup, have very defined pay grades with about 2 years gaps between each role change so leaving after a year almost anywhere would be retarded.

basic electronics, i can program microcontrollers
and i also had a short full stack gig at a startup

I had a friend who works for Intel tell me that every 5 years is good, so do you guys reckon this is far too long?