Good proprietary software thread

Well, I prefer to use mainly free software (i.e. LibreOffice, GNU, Linux, GIMP)...
But there is one proprietary German program, that has no really good alternative. Sprint Layout. Simple yet good PCB layout program. Unlike KiCAD (and other like Altium or EagleCAD) it doesn't force to use schematic. It just allows you to put pads and shit on layout. And it is extremely straight-forward. And realizing that I'm feeling bad about not paying 50-ish european pesos for it.
Why there is no free alternative to this simple, yet pretty powerful program? Why do electronic hobbyist need all this 'schematic first' bullshit? And let's agree, KiCAD is not used in enterprise, like at all.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (998x720, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnbc.com/2014/04/16/data-mining-is-now-used-to-set-insurance-rates-critics-cry-fowl.html
washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/ethnic-cleansing-makes-a-comeback--in-china/2018/08/02/55f73fa2-9691-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.b7adca924692
winprivacy.de/english-home/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dunno, I've not tried gEDA tho, maybe its good. But still, Sprint Layout is my favorite.

Yea, looks like gEDA is good alternative. Fuck.

If you want a free software replacement for something then learn how to make one yourself or find someone who will do it for you. You may have to pay them. Alternatively you can try to make improvements to KiCAD so it has a better layout system.

Really the only proprietary software i run these days is bitwig. Everything else i have been able to find a libre replacement for that does everything i need.

how are you so retarded that being open source has any impact over whether you use a program or not
I bet you think your vote matters too

>If you want a free software replacement for something then learn how to make one yourself or find someone who will do it for you.
Maybe. But I think now that gEDA is pretty close. I guess I should give it a shot.
>try to make improvements to KiCAD so it has a better layout system.
I am not sure if they will like it, because I think different™.

ok Elliot

some of us actually care about freedom

>I bet you think your vote matters too
In my shithole it is used as toilet paper I guess.
>how are you so retarded that being open source has any impact over whether you use a program or not
My ESL not understand

You may want to find a maintainer and email them, if the project is active then they usually like to get feedback. I would check out that other program first though to see if it works for you.

I care about the freedom to actually get shit done on my computer which is why I use programs that cost money instead of shoddy open-source alternatives

what a good goy

I dont pay for them I pirate them

>programs that cost money
free as in freedom, not free as in price
>I care about the freedom to actually get shit done on my computer
when you use proprietary software you are literally admitting you don't care about this. if you don't control the program then the program controls you

you can control a program without having full access to the source code

Well, KiCAD is trying to be like other professional-level stuff, like EAGLE and similar stuff.
gEDA seems to be like Sprint Layout, but I'd change some controls to be more-less like in SprintLayout, and then I'd contact them. Just make some dialog a toolbox.

Not quite. You can't control Microsoft botnet

what a good jew

true but a microsoft botnet isn't controlling me

/thread

Attached: CreativeCloud_Logo4[1].jpg (1528x1527, 1.54M)

Be warned that unless there are glaring usability issues the it will be unlikely that they change the program to make it look exactly like the other program. You may just need to familiarize yourself with a slightly different workflow.

>2018
>not using Mentor Graphics

repeat after me

IM IN CONTROL

Attached: control.jpg (1160x967, 414K)

Maybe. But anyway, since gEDA is free I can fork it with my own 'stolen' UI.

harvesting your data doesn't mean someone controls you, they need to use that data to conduct some form of oppression

being able to close or delete the program does not mean you can control it. this is like saying you don't need to have your pet dog trained because you can just have him put down if he misbehaves.
the point is that if you see value in the program and you want to use it, then in order to retain control over it you need to be able to run/study/modify it on your terms, not on terms imposed on you by the author

Never tried.

are you literally retarded?

>Data mining is now used to set insurance rates; critics cry foul

cnbc.com/2014/04/16/data-mining-is-now-used-to-set-insurance-rates-critics-cry-fowl.html

Lost for some reason...

>what is ublock

that's barely even oppressive on a societal level, let alone a personal one, and insurance is a privilege not a right you fucking communist

all EDA open source software is shit and can't be used in business, even the insanely expensive commercial EDA software is shit but at least it gets shit done

GNU is not software it is a shitty organization

well if you want to use a stupid analogy that's like saying you can't be friends with someone unless they tell you the full details of everything that's ever happened in their personal life
You don't need complete control over something to have a productive relationship with it
and the idea that if you don't control something it controls you is a paranoid delusion

Nothing works better that sharpie-layout.
It is like 1$, and absolutely free.

explain to me how ublock can stop Microsoft telemetry from harvesting your data. Im waiting

Attached: NU GOLD.jpg (425x285, 38K)

GNU is Not Unix.

easyeda, but im a retarded nub on pcb design, so i think it fits nicely

speaking of communists, lets see what china is doing with all their data

>Add to that the unprecedented security and surveillance state in Xinjiang, which includes all-encompassing monitoring based on identity cards, checkpoints, facial recognition and the collection of DNA from millions of individuals. The authorities feed all this data into an artificial-intelligence machine that rates people’s loyalty to the Communist Party in order to control every aspect of their lives.

washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/ethnic-cleansing-makes-a-comeback--in-china/2018/08/02/55f73fa2-9691-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.b7adca924692

Attached: prisoner laughing in his cage.png (621x431, 354K)

china wishes it was that competent
they oppress their citizens far more with mundane shit on a daily basis than they could ever hope to do with big data you sheltered nerd

Maybe you've never used SprintLayot, and maybe it is the reason why you are not pissed off with it.

99% of Jow Forums doesn't need it in and way for professional work or for high level hobbies. Making memes isn't high skilled. I don't even bother to pirate this shit anymore. gimp/paint.net is enough. I don't make faggy YouTube video so I don't need the video editor.

I prefer the (F)OSS software if it suits my needs even if I have to live without a small feature or if I have to change my workflow a little bit. Not that autistic about it. Just a preference since I prefer the philosophy.

doing things out of ideology instead of practicality makes you autistic, yes

winprivacy.de/english-home/

Stop being autistic

lmao, how much did you get paid for this shit thread?

Attached: i run linux.png (640x330, 33K)

>as he autisticly fixes his OS that came broken

my OS just works with out any of that shit

I was referring to software in general, not specifically to Jow Forums.

I've given up using gimp for shitposts, photoshop is just much easier and doesn't spend half an hour looking for fonts on startup.

2000 RMB

How is sticking to my beliefs autistic? I don't mind using non free if I have to but I prefer (F)OSS whenever I can

having beliefs that override the practical reality of life is autistic

>50 replies
>only 2 programs posted
fuck you Jow Forums

pic related has been top tier for decades now

Attached: total_commander.jpg (700x452, 100K)

Not sure if that problem is true or not. That's how often I edit images. Can't remember the last time I opened gimp. Still, I don't want to pay to rent Photoshop (fuck SaaS) and I cba to download Russian/Chinese spyware infused Photoshop torrents. I would have dealt with the few minutes font search (assuming the problem is real)

If your OS is Linux you have no right to say "it just werks!"

that analogy makes perfect sense, i personally would not let someone who isn't a close personal friend look through my computer, phone, email, etc, somehow i doubt you would either
>You don't need complete control over something to have a productive relationship with it
correct, but the point is with proprietary software, there is never an option to have control over anything if it does become required to have a productive relationship
>and the idea that if you don't control something it controls you is a paranoid delusion
except it isn't, if you have no idea what's running on your computer then another party can get away with whatever they want, this is why computer viruses and malware have been able to spread

proprietary software isn't practical in any way

It barely takes any time at all for me, but I use an SSD and Linux so your mileage may vary.

Linux just werks for most hardware. Stop trying to spread fud. This is why Jow Forums sucks. Everyone spams 20 year old memes and I know it's the underage /v/ermin who probably never tried a distro ever.

i have every right, havent had one issue on 18.04 LTS on my Thinkpad

Cubase

Werks on mi machine

Attached: 1488.png (200x193, 30K)

The people who produce proprietary software are incentivized to make it as useful to their customers as possible. This is how economic systems work. This is why linux or free software will never be mainstream, apart from the few places where it is actually practical and useful
A program doing something behind your back is not "controlling" you, and if a free operating system were the one everyone used people would write viruses and find exploits for that too. It has nothing to do with the economic system and everything to do with developer incompetency

Linux is a kernel, of course it doesn't "just work" on its own. You would need to install many other components for it to be usable.

dont worry user, some people bend the knee at the slightest breeze. Fuck those people

Attached: shillstrytobelowkey.jpg (1200x800, 160K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Yes thank you for correcting me

So botnets and chink data mining are politics now?
Is this the absolute state of Jow Forums

fuck this board is so easy to bait

Attached: 1800376_256120407898255_494190801_n.png (720x470, 600K)

that's great that they want to make useful software but that isn't an excuse for them to attack people's freedoms
>A program doing something behind your back is not "controlling" you,
correct, what is controlling you is when you have no ability to stop the program from doing shit behind your back, preventing the users from doing this is the act of a malware/virus author
>It has nothing to do with the economic system and everything to do with developer incompetency
free software has nothing to do with either of those things either, it has to do with the users having freedom

You sound like a bootlicker. You'll do anything even if it contradicts your beliefs. Consider suicide

>i was merely pretending to be retarded

Attached: not even mad.jpg (349x642, 54K)

>you have no ability to stop the program from doing shit behind your back
stop running the program
you have no idea what 'attacks' or 'control' are
you sound like a paranoid schizophernic

ideologues are bootlickers to their ideology
not having impractical ivory tower beliefs doesn't mean you have no integrity

>stop running the program
done, i already don't run proprietary software
>you have no idea what 'attacks' or 'control' are
>you sound like a paranoid schizophernic
no, that would be the proprietary developers who are irrationally afraid of letting users study and modify their source code for their own purposes

>having impractical ivory tower beliefs
the only ones guilty of that are proprietary developers

i think if humanity could harness the mental gymnastics going on in your mind, we would have unlimited energy

Attached: lol what.jpg (474x306, 23K)

>99% of Jow Forums doesn't need it in and way for professional work or for high level hobbies.
Source?

You are not being attacked or controlled if you choose to use anything because you're free to stop using it anytime you want
how hard is that to understand?
proprietary developers don't give other people their code because they want to make money off it

so they wouldn't mind having their code audited for vulnerabilities right?

Attached: sluts loling at you.jpg (1280x720, 210K)

who is "they"? there's millions of programmers who create closed sourced software, being a proprietary developer isn't a political position unlike being a freetard

the point is that the user has a reason to run the program, even if they didn't and they did just stop using it, then freedom would still matter because they may want or need to run the program again some time in the future
>proprietary developers don't give other people their code because they want to make money off it
they can make all the money they want, what they should not do is undermine their own customer's freedoms

I just use a pirated version of orCAD Capture/PCB editor w/ Pspice personally

I don't see much love for orCAD when people recommend PCB layout programs but then again their free version is pretty shit and you pretty much either have to buy or pirate to get a good program so that probably turns a lot of people off.

placing freedom above everything else is retarded. Should you have the freedom to murder anyone you want without consequence? People have the freedom to sell closed source software. I feel alot more free being able to use Photoshop and get shit done instead of fucking around with Gimp because it's made by incompetent freetards with no concern for usability

hows that subscription to photoshop treating you?

Dunno, I feel like I will do shit faster with GIMP, not with PS.
Maybe I'm just used to it.

>implying I didn't pirate it

>being a proprietary developer isn't a political position unlike being a freetard
it's sad that you probably actually believe this

>placing freedom above everything else is retarded
i'm sorry i don't live in a 3rd world country where serfdom is mandatory
>Should you have the freedom to murder anyone you want without consequence?
no because murder is attacking someone else's freedoms
>People have the freedom to sell closed source software.
yes and i have the freedom to not buy it and to point out that they are trying to take control of people's computers for malicious purposes
>I feel alot more free being able to use Photoshop and get shit done
we don't care, a good artist can "get shit done" by engraving on cave walls
>it's made by incompetent freetards with no concern for usability
maybe you should submit a patch then or donate some money to them so they can improve it

people who sell closed source software aren't trying to take control of your computer you schizophrenic retard they're trying to make money
if you take the position that that's objectively bad you're taking away peoples freedom to make a living which is a better freedom to have than the freedom to feed your own paranoid delusions

so you're saying everyone should commit copyright infringement and share all proprietary software for free.

you're a schizophrenic freetard and you don't even realize

making money isn't objectively bad, attacking other's freedom is what is bad
>schizophrenic
>paranoid
again the only people who fit this description are proprietary developers who think they need to attack others in order to make money

There is nothing wrong in making money on software. But it is wrong to limit users ability to reverse engineer, mod or just restrict access to code.
There should be free commercial license, that prohibits copying for corporate use, but it forces original authors to release source code. Also mods should be free (GPL, or this license) as well.
Also DRM is not allowed.

In my opinion it is good license.

i hear the Russians pay more

an attack is an offensive action
offering people limited terms of use they're free to accept or decline can never constitute an 'attack'

we've literally been over this 4 times in this thread already, just because you can avoid their attacks does not mean they don't exist

someone offering you limited terms to use something they created isn't an attack on your freedom because it's their property. Personal freedom ends when it infringes on the freedom of other people. Someone owning something that you can't use isn't an attack on your freedom, neither is limited term license.

I love it when freetards get backed into a corner and start using purposefully pointed and manipulative language like "attack" and "serfdom" because the only way their garbage politics sound worthwhile is if it fits into some kind of hollywood-esque good vs. evil narrative.

Try presenting your points practically like an adult if you want people to listen to and respect you, if that's even possible.

if they don't want others to use their code then they can keep it to themselves, once they start trying to convince others to use it so they can try and take control of their computers is when it becomes an attack

they can use whatever license terms they want, that doesn't make it not an attack, if someone asked you to sign a contract that gives them permission to come to your house and punch you in the face whenever they feel like, it's still literally an attack on you. luckily though you wouldn't have to agree to that, just like you don't have to agree to proprietary software, you can use free software instead if you want to avoid being attacked

You're fucking retarded.

>trying to convince others to use it so they can try and take control of their computers
99.9999% of paid software is not sold to to try and take control of peoples computers. Most malware isn't even sold, it usually proliferates through the internet using a vunerability.

the arguments were presented rationally, maybe you should instead take issue with the person i am responding to who has been relying extensively on ad hominems

>You're fucking retarded.
incredible argument, you've convinced me i was wrong all along

we aren't talking about paid software, we're talking about proprietary software

lmao, you know you got the proprietary faggots on the ropes when their best argument is "grow up". the more you nickle and dime people, the bigger our community grows

Attached: the war to end all wars.png (639x483, 193K)

you know what I mean. You still present no argument. Proprietary software is very rarely malware. You could make a virus open source, it could still infect your computer. It doesn't make a difference