Where were you when Firefox died (again)?

Where were you when Firefox died (again)?

blog.ungleich.ch/en-us/cms/blog/2018/08/04/mozillas-new-dns-resolution-is-dangerous/

Attached: dns.png (722x283, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spiegel.de/international/topic/nsa_spying_scandal/
isc.org/downloads/bind/
youtube.com/watch?v=kqnvrjgyEMc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nothing a good fork cant solve.

Attached: 2eq64s.jpg (755x500, 96K)

Can they not just have a single fucking month without them doing something completely retarded? Just once?

this is what happens when you decide meritocracy is a dirty word and when you fire people for not being politically correct

IceCat wins again.

I agree that women shouldn't have rights.

Guys this isn’t bad

Stop pretending any of you ever changed your dns

Achmed why you keep lurking this board? We dont have IED recipes here!

>So let’s get to the new Firefox feature called "Trusted Recursive Resolver" (TRR). With the next Mozilla patch in September any DNS change you configure in your network won't have any effect anymore, at least for browsing with Firefox, because Mozilla has partnered up with Cloudflare and will resolve the domain names from the application itself via a DNS server from Cloudflare based in the United States. Cloudflare will then be able to read everyone's DNS requests.

According to this article FF will completely override your own settings for the DNS. And send everything directly to the USA, the home of the NSA.

t. falseflagging kike

ok nvm that you still can turn it off, you just have to turn it off in the settings if you want to keep the DNS of your isp etc.

might as well send your data to google and at least you get a fast JS engine in exchange
chromium here I come

>he's not using an adblocking DNS

I'm assuming waterfox is free of this shit?

great, but what kind if message does this send?
the self-appointed privacy-browser sends your DNS requests to the botnet by default
simply awesome

yes, it's still bad but I wanted to correct my original statement hat implied that it wasn't possible to turn it off.

inb4 nothing wrong with ff, you can enter about:config and disable it.

Install Brave

Attached: Brave-Web-Browser.jpg (700x400, 49K)

No

weak bait

I know
but even that is kind of awkward because you have to go to about:config and put a magic number (5) to the key
what the fuck mozilla, a hidden setting with a magic value is how you care about privacy?

thanks for the shilling, but between google botnet and google+other botnet, I'd rather just use the plain google one

Holy shit the damage control/CF shilling on ribbit/firefox article is breaking the limits know to man.

Might as well just trust Cloudflare.

Quick Jow Forums recommend me a browser I can use on windows and mobile that isnt a botnet, I don't care if it beats women and is responsible for genocides and famine I just want to click download, open, and not worry about this.

Internet explorer

Brave

Waterfox, also available for Android.

wget

Firefox's last bastion is Germany where they're still at 25% marketshare. Rerouting all DNS requests to the US/NSA is going to fix that.

every day, writing my own webtech seems a better idea

Wait Germany still uses Firefox? Haven't they learned anyhing from the Cliqz situation?

>Rerouting all DNS requests to the US/NSA is going to fix that.
All traffic that is coming out of germany is already routed to the NSA.
>spiegel.de/international/topic/nsa_spying_scandal/

Attached: browsers.png (670x434, 39K)

To be honest, I don't really see the issue here. If Mozilla were to select some DNS resolver as default, it is obvious that CF would be the best choice.
1.1.1.1 is using unicast and has servers in pretty much every country, resulting in lowest latency. They also audited to protect your privacy, something that afaik no other resolver does.
If you are autistic and don't want to use CF, just change it to other resolver via about:config.

>1.1.1.1 is using unicast
Anycast, not unicast.

I changed. My country censors the internet via DNS.

I changed to cloudflare.

Yeah, this isn't bad. This is actually good for the normies.

> According to this article FF will completely override your own settings for the DNS. And send everything directly to the USA, the home of the NSA.
Like I fucking care. It's the normal internet, not TOR.

>not running your own
isc.org/downloads/bind/

thanks

Why not?

I already use brave with blockada and or nord vpn on my phone and by itself and a vpn on my pc but apparently this too is a botnet
But Jow Forumsents are saying this isnt enough. Is it better than brave?
What if I want to look at lewd move quickly and not at lines of words. Sorry it seems im too much of a brainlet to use this.

Why does it have to be like this. At this point I would support a Jow Forumsbrowser if I didn't have to worry about this crap.

Attached: 1517690734150.png (760x839, 760K)

>no ublock
never

adblocking is built into the browser, as it always should have been.

Imagine trying this hard shoving your botnet meme browser down Jow Forums's throat

So instead of my local ISP, who isn't allowed to inspect my traffic, they will now send the information to the USA.

Nice security update.

DNS over https is a good thing. I think it would be better to create an addon that lets you swap between a set of DNS servers to go along with it. your default ISP server, google, cloudfare, opendns, etc. That would be the best I think. Or maybe mozzilla could expose that sort of function in settings, like they do with search engines. You could even do a conditional one, if you have a laptop. On my network? You default. Not my network? Use cloudfare.

Best of both worlds.

Doesnt matter if its built in when its shit compared to ublock origin.

websites should automatically ban adblock users, not that "please disable your adblock" bullshit. just a blank page and get rid of all the useless freeloaders

>Guys this isn't bad

I stopped reading there

So? AdBlockPlus is infinitely inferior to unlock Origin

>unlock Origin
phoneposter?

I did, I changed back.
ISP is actually same

it's sad that internet is only safe and usable because of gorhill

>I block ads ≠ I won't spend $ on something else
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

this is exactly the type of toxic communist that you cant allow to control a project, or it will all go to shit

>some sites use ads to pay the bills
niggers will be niggers

Yes

>implying that couldn't be circumvented

Didn't Linus say cloudflare DNS was the best one

Attached: 1525060843721.jpg (362x296, 20K)

who?

yes, niggers will be niggers.
like you... you're already trying to come up with better way to steal, tyrone

youtube.com/watch?v=kqnvrjgyEMc

Attached: 13795829_187cdb76f1d260041b6a22560b831fb7_170.jpg (170x131, 20K)

>guys
Stopped reading there

enjoy your crypto miners and rootkits

Who?

maybe stop going to piracy and other questionable sites, is not that hard

Using 1.1.1.1 as their address was one of the dumbest thing they could do

While technically there's nothing wrong with it, they didn't account for retarded device manufacturers that hard-coded 1.1.1.1 as their router/modem management page.

Personally I can't access, an gl asking any ISP to push out firmware update just because you're a hacker changing any internet setting.

Attached: 1472752192338.png (396x385, 132K)

this is my favourite pepe, I don't know why exactly. He seems like a very motivated scientist at an university that enjoys discovering new technologies and loves educating young students about his field of research and teaching them how to enter his field and contributing towards new technoligies and advances in science.

What kind of a bizarre piece of shit router do you have that uses a class A IP address by default?
Literally every router I've ever touched used 192.168.1.1 for itself.

Attached: 5svn3zdc4ly01.jpg (506x765, 38K)

>implying I'm using an ablock
>implying I never owned a website featuring ads and showing one of those messages.
>implying I'm black
>implying skin color is related to adblocking software usage
>implying adblocking is completely equivalent theft
>implying legit websites never serve malicious advertisement

I'm always surprised by how some morons can be so wrong with barely one sentence and half.

It does have 192.168.1.1 as local IP, but for whatever reason it intercepts requests to 1.1.1.1 as well.

Similar thing is happening with dns resolution - some routers (I know Netgear does it) intercept requests for routerlogin.net and return their local address/management page instead.

>We wrote in a previous version that "the next Mozilla patch in September" will enable DoH by default. We corrected that part as it is not clearly stated on Mozilla's blog, as can be seen in the screenshot below.
It's an optional setting you can turn on if you want to, but it's not the default or forced on you. So chill out.

It doesn't do that by default though

Go fuck yourself

Attached: ayylmao.png (1278x695, 65K)

Mein Neger

yes because waterfox hasn't had an update in over a year

>all your DNS traffic will be sent to a DNS provider
Sometimes I really don't understand journalists

Because Mozilla has never """accidentally""" overwritten settings during updates.

Then they'll probably show a dark pattern UX dialog like "Hey, your network settings are outdated. Do you want super secure and fast network settings?" to make all of their gullible users convert.

great more shit to turn off. also they partner with a data collecting company already.

>what the fuck mozilla, a hidden setting with a magic value is how you care about privacy?
this

Oh yes, why do people from countries with strong privacy laws don't like all of their traffic being sent to an US company for free.

Hope you get paid for such a retarded comment.

Welcome to how DNS works

>mozilla makes yet another stupid decision about what and how default browser behavior should be
do they really need that much money from cloudflare? why would anyone prefer cloudflare being able to datamine you over your isp datamining you? cloudflare has _no_legal obligation here, your isp has a contract with you. stupid mozilla is stupid, hope it dies soon (stop putting money into these idiots, fund something better like a charity or something).

You're either a troll or really dumb

Already changed to 1.1.1.1 so this is great.

>why would anyone prefer cloudflare being able to datamine you over your isp datamining you?
Probably because this has nothing to do with datamining and everything to do with giving people secure services.

>about:config
>search network.trr
>network.trr.mode [set to 5]
wew lad, that was tough to solve

is it possible for you to be fingerprinted by your dns?

I don't want to install Google Chrome

>Vivaldi is buggy and a resource hog
>Edge is buggy, it fuckups the tabs
>Opera is a chinese botnet
>PaleMoon is slow as fuck (old render engine) and has very few extensions
>Basilisk is slow as fuck (new render engine)

What to do?

Attached: 1468690700996.jpg (640x960, 59K)

Brave browser

Firefox?
Quantum is pretty good

use firefox

>put this magic number into a setting hidden in about:config because we can't be arsed to make a normal config entry in settings
what did sjwzilla mean by this?

You had to post that image? It's beauty hurts me.

this

go cry somewhere else

brave is a botnet

but i'm already using https over dns in firefox using the cloudflare dns.

Attached: shrugging..png (299x200, 14K)

>https over dns
that would be funny

I send all of my protocols over DNS just to be sure they don't get lost.

piece of shit, garbage "we help websites with our useless coin" bullshit. stop shilling that shit ever.