/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 62498645_p0.jpg (760x788, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/images/GradoGS1000.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR60i.pdf
amazon.com/Replacement-ATH-MSR7-MDR-7506-Ultrasone-Headphone/dp/B073YRQGQ3?th=1&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

im swapping a pair of grados sr125s for either a pair of m50x's, vmoda m100s or fostex mk3s. i had m50xs before this but i didn't like how cramped the sound was, anyone know how either of the other two compares to the m50s? i'm primarily interested in the m100

I love my wife maki

I've been waiting to ask because I wanted to see if they shipped them or not.

I bought some HD1s and paid a premium for the Pink Floyd version.
I also got some Ie 80 S' for some on the go buds.

I only had a few minutes to research them before I bought them. But are they any good? I seriously only had like 5 minutes to buy them so I know shit about them other than they have 'okay' reviews.

Attached: 45.png (1339x1111, 92K)

Looking for

Attached: headphones.png (766x710, 117K)

Weird situation. I have 1750 of cryptocurrency just sitting because I live in the draconian state of Washington. Looks like headphones.com (is this place legit?) takes payment in crypto. I already have the HD600 and an Odac2. Love it. Want a more portable setup for work. Thinking Campfire Comets and a Firefly Red (looks like it can drive the hd600 ss well). Also thinking either the Focal Clear or the HD800 of which I would do the sdr mod on. Taking suggestions.

>inb4 Stax
They dont carry Stax. I will get a pair of those later on.

I love your wife too

I have the hd600 and the wife got the 598. The 598 sounds bretty good. Not as good as the hd600 of course, but decent.

>Focal Clear or HD800
Clear if you want punch, speed and bass to your sound, HD800 if you want soundstage and maximal detail. Both are top-tier dynamics, but very different in their execution.

Also looking at the Noble high end iems now.

When described that way, the Clears sound like a better fit.

Help me out here, fellas

Which one is going to sound better?

Attached: Screenshot_20180805-162727.png (1080x2160, 438K)

50kbps

They probably are for most people, they’re more of ”fun” cans even though they’re still quite neutral. HD800 has the best headphone soundstage of all time and it scopes out detail like no other, but it can sound a bit lean on many musical genres, and at least for me dynamic sound > soundstage.

Attached: 1526229286965.jpg (508x499, 29K)

If you want good top of the line headphones, try Grado GS1000/2000.

m60s i guess. zeos is shillin em hard.

Those are on-ear, not over.

First impression is they look like garbage.

But they feel like as if they created a personal listening room for you, giving you that sweet Grado house sound while sounding unbelievably open.

>Clear if you want punch
it seems saying this once isn't enough for you morons to comprehend.

impact is loudness
impact is loudness
impact is loudness
impact is loudness

I'm sorry dude, but you sound like a sales rep for the company. That could not sound more salesman-y and disingenuous.

Opus is the best / bitrate.
Opus 160 best there.

>that sweet Grado house sound
you mean that sweet sweet 10% distortion?

Any of you folks have any advice on the legitimacy of FLAC quality from pirating and soulseek? I know I can use spek but there is also 'lossless audio checker' which seems a bit to me like bullshit now because I've ran some files through it that it claims are 'upsampled' although I got them straight from bleepstore. Should spek identification really be enough?

Attached: 1533160298058.png (460x535, 308K)

It’s just ComfyGrados again, try to ignore him.

10%? You wish.
innerfidelity.com/images/GradoGS1000.pdf
Funny, how come does a $1000 model measure so much poorer than their lowest tier sub-$100 one? And what the hell is that driver mismatch supposed to be doing on their top of the line model?
innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR60i.pdf

boomer trash here, whats ur setup look like anonalonadingdong

Attached: fa1.jpg (3246x1391, 603K)

>10%? You wish.
the 90% distortion in the subbass is not as bad as the 10% treble distortion because the bass rolls off making it largely inaudible in comparison
>And what the hell is that driver mismatch supposed to be doing on their top of the line model?
innerfidelity charts are unreliable when it comes to channel mismatch and seal. tyll desperately needed to improve his rig/measurement method that is decades old

High end iems over 1k? Probably would see alot more use than headphones. In the running so far is the noble katana and the campfire atlas.

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Nice maki.

Attached: 1514245526519.png (960x540, 524K)

Anyone have experience with the letters on DT 770s fading? I've had them for only a few days and the paint on the left side is nearly gone.

my hd600s came with a bit of wear on the numbers.
i got em used but still. no real issue desu.
if u want headphones thatll never wear...

Attached: 61JcYeMnkzL._SY450_.jpg (337x450, 17K)

>wear
What kind of wear? If anything ever breaks, since it's modular, you can just replace that part.

I'll play along

Attached: somethingsomething.jpg (1500x600, 584K)

fashion phones

Not him. Comfy discovered HD600 at some point, and dropped the Grados shilling nonsense.

>Leaving out the tried and true DT770.
Out of these I'd go 553, but they have seal issues.

Lol this is why you don't buy shitphones

beyerdynamic are cheap in the bad sense of the word.
user told you to get HD600, too.

I got a used pair and the lettering is fine, why is this a signifier of them being cheap? Don't people own Beyers for decades with no issues?

>non-modular headphones
>not even the cable
>"durable" "decades"

just the paint on the "600" is a bit worn. cosmetic. also the 600s have a really fuckin retarded stretch on the plastic lol. like who thought that was a good design choice?
is the scarlett good? you use that as a preamp for your speakers? i have the fulla 2 and it works but i'll swap it out if that's better.
also nice turntable. but fuck the andrew jones shit. i had the first version of those bookshelves and i gave them to an old girlfriend. such shitty sound, ngl. heard the second ones were better.
pic is my basement stereo. sansui z3000x, cerwin-vega e78, infinity ss2003 with pyramid drivers, dayton ls120 sub, at-lp120 turntable with my main setup right now, will change later)

oops forgot to post the pic lol

Attached: bing1.jpg (2786x3538, 755K)

>just the paint on the "600" is a bit worn.
Odd location to be damaged. It's not on contact with anything / stressed in any way.
> have a really fuckin retarded stretch on the plastic
What do you mean?

no just the paint is pretty standard for text lol. it scratches off, no big deal. the plastic skin is also scratched in some areas, revealing a nice matte black.

Tbh the hs7's are hooked up to my mackie profx8 mixer because I have them for synths, although I use usb out to the mixer to listen to music on them. Also I started out with just the bookshelf andrew jones and eventually got the whole set and they are really nice, the floor standing ones anyways. I do 2.1 for my planar 3.

As mentioned in the article ASE (decay) does not contribute at all.

Yeah, of course you need to measure the HD800. I don't see the point why that makes my argument pointless and misleading.

>I don't see the point why that makes my argument pointless and misleading.
how is this knowledge useful to the consumer who does not want to:

1) buy a measurement rig
2) learn how to emulate a headphone
3) buy an hd800 just to emulate only to then get rid of it

tried to get a good photo. i scratch off the paint with a fingernail when i'm bored. just comes clean off.

Attached: IMG_20180805_204358.jpg (4640x3480, 2.93M)

>i scratch off the paint with a fingernail when i'm bored.
So, intentional damage. Mine's intact.
>tried to get a good photo.
Can you point to the specific location you want to highlight?

Don't scratch them

Yes, i know an engineer who has a DT100 from the 70's, the thing is built like a tank.
My DT880 is not nearly as old, but i've had it for a little over five years now and it's still works just fine. The only "issues" i had so far are that the letters fadded after some time and i had to get new pads last year, i think it's due to the intense use they see. Overall i'm still very satisfied, it's quite durable.

yeah i noticed a lot of it was scratched off when i got them. so i just pick at it.
plan on painting them when i get the chance.
shit, am i ruining them?

The paint adds 20kbps

lol u stole my joke i was gonna add
no but srsly i'm gonna probably spraypaint these eventually or just sand off the shitty paint. idk what color i wanna do though. probably white with black cups or something.

What do you guys think of the Mad Dog headphones from MrSpeakers?

I have an opportunity to buy this vintage headphone on resale from some guy I know, for $150, not sure if its a good buy though. I know they aren't sold anymore however and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these? In particular how good is the bass/treble response?

I want my headphones to have good, but not overwhelming treble, and a healthy bass.

Attached: Regular.jpg (819x1024, 133K)

id probably get them anyways, its a decent price right?

>mr. speakers
Boutique garbage.
Always easy to do better for the price.

so you notice that headband right? around the edge it looks super stretched due to the way skinning works. not to mention its a VERY low quality skin, which is why it scratches so easily. honestly i'd consider painting them just so it's more durable and looks less shit.

well let's see if the meme was good

Attached: autism_pro82.png (1184x705, 69K)

he's getting them for 150 bro. that makes it easy to flip... right?
so if he doesn't like them he can just resell on fleabay and make bank.
plus id probably fuck someone with those pads lol.

I don't see a problem. I don't see what you mean.
Can you please edit your pic and highlight the area?

your monitor must be fucked, I'm running flux and my screen is yellow as hell and I can still see it

Attached: ApplicationFrameHost_2018-08-05_21-06-18.png (838x1200, 1.53M)

I removed mine from my head, just to check the area. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The pattern is as the rest of the headband too.

yeah i was looking up pics of hd600s and it looks like mine is an anomaly lol
it's like this around the cups too. might be from an older batch or something?

Since you are talking about durability, what os the most durable headphone you can think of?
I mean something you can actually treat bad with no ill effects. Parts being available should manage to brrak something.
Sounding nice and being comfortable would be a plus.

Does she have good taste?

Attached: mpv-shot00018.jpg (1920x1080, 246K)

It's just paint

The box says everything is user replaceable

Yeah. But the normal premium they charged was $100, after the bugged code it was only $20. I'll pay that for a bit of style.

Anyone here use the Penon Audio store before?

probably

Penon is stellar, way faster shipping than AliExpress and they send you goodies with your purchase too.

Yes, both sides don't have the letter paint anymore but they're like 2 years old.

Also some plastic recently broke in the left side (thankfully it wasn't from any critical part) and last year the left driver suddenly stopped producing bass (anything below 100Hz). Luckily Beyerdynamic support was incredible, they responded to me in a day and fixed it; so I think my experience is still positive overall.

>Not doing a removable cable mod

It looks like the pink floyd HD1s are the over ear wireless. So you're paying more for the style over the normal, which in turn charges more for wireless, which in turn charges more than the momentums it's based off of.

Over all they're not bad. You're just paying for all the frills and not the audio.

I've never even heard of the IE 80 S, I know the the IE 80s were the creme, but these look newer and not as well loved.

Anyone in Melbourne, Aus and got recommendations on places to get headphones repaired/modded?

>buying headphones that need a removable cable mod

So what's everyone's portable setup like?

Attached: 1526588449379.gif (388x472, 250K)

>Buying headphones that have proprietary cable plugs

Does the sound go to shit if I connect my headphones to some $20 speaker jack?

Attached: 1533080583409.png (483x487, 201K)

Why are you connecting your headphones to some cheap source in the first place, user?

This is like my first $100+ headphones and after a year of use it’s fucking wearing out like shit.

Attached: 2F1FB9D4-92D5-4678-B940-B14B345D74AD.jpg (2048x1536, 903K)

What headphones are those? M50?

It certainly could. Especially if the amp is cheap

Stay With It People - there are rewards

Attached: 20180425_212109.jpg (4032x3024, 713K)

006tS?

MSR7

So audio wise what are they comparable too?

Should have got Grado SR60

Stop shilling grados and 770s you dumb fuck

I want Maki to give me a footjob

>amazon.com/Replacement-ATH-MSR7-MDR-7506-Ultrasone-Headphone/dp/B073YRQGQ3?th=1&psc=1

It’ll fuck up the audio quality

A: it should provide much better seal than the ruined one.
B: user could seek CS for stock pads if he so wants
C: i'm not seeing you give better options, faggot.

Waddup families. I want one of these and I'd like to know which one will sound better. Of course if you think I should get something else for my very small budget let me know.

>Philips SHB5850
>Outdoor Tech Tags
>Panasonic NJ300BE
>JBL T110 BT
>Skullcandy JIB

>Budget
25000 CLP
>Location
Chile
>Source
Several BT devices
>Type of headphone
in-ear bluetooth
>Sound signature
bright
>Past headphones
several cheap wired in-ear phillips and panasonic.

Attached: picunrelated.jpg (591x720, 58K)

V-Moda M80 + Sansa Clip with Rockbox.

I narrowed it down to these 2 because I'm autistic:

>Philips SHB5850
>JBL T110 BT