/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1533521092452.jpg (2048x1536, 821K)

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/chromium-browser/68.0.3440.84-0ubuntu1
launchpad.net/~chromium-team/ archive/ubuntu/stable
ring.cx/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for not knowing how the fuck to use debians sources.list and giving up every fucking time

Edit it with a text editor.

Install GuixSD

I know but how do I learn it? Every guide seems to tell me a different name for stable/unstable/testing and then theres apt-pinning and I get overwhelmed and change OS's. Pls halp '_'

just install synaptic package manager for a nice GUI that lets you edit your source list easy.

Youre a legend and Im a retard. Why did I not think of there being a GUI?

massive brainlet here

how can i (in xubuntu) manually force my system to upgrade to the latest chromium build?

launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/chromium-browser/68.0.3440.84-0ubuntu1

it's stuck at .75 andi want .84

I dunno. synaptic is a nice gui for searching for packages and dependencies. Displays stuff by category, gives descriptions, sometimes screenshots. Also can manage source lists all in one spot. cheers

What are youbtrying to do?

I just wanna have bleeding edge like arch but the support for software like ubuntu until I can learn linux properly then switch to a better distro. Right now Im crap at linux but Im also sophomore in a CS degree and I wanna get a leg up

I know installing Windows and then Linux is the better way to do it, but I really don't feel like redoing this install that I sank many many hours into. So what do I need to do to put Windows on top of Linux, just resize, install, and re-install grub from a live CD+chroot?

How do i tell dmenu to load extra alias files?
My core .bashrc was getting too big so i separated the aliases,exports,functions etc. But now dmenu wont load aliases.
How do i tell dmenu to use aliases in the customer folder i have my bash stuff?(.bash)

>Install GuixSD
No. Install Crux!

Attached: crux.jpg (189x267, 9K)

>just resize, install, and re-install grub from a live CD+chroot?
Yeah, thats pretty much it, remember to run os-prober though

Follow the documentation for the release you are actually using, brainlet.

I would if it was written for brainlets

What's the big fuss about 4.17?

Brainlet alarmism

Which distro is best for (reasonable) home network security out of the box? Doesn't Fedora use selinux and apparmor and shit by default?

Just resized an image with a single command in terminal and it only took me 30 seconds to do it without knowing the command before hand, and it was faster than opening an image editor and sizing it properly

wtf is this why people love penguin operating system

Part of it, yeah.

AppArmor is an Ubuntu only thing. Fedora does have SELinux turned on by default.

Why isn't w3m-img fucking working? I'll try to use both source and w3m both but nothing of them work

Is there an extra step I forget? because I'm using PNG and Terminator

Attached: Selection_002.png (1023x767, 296K)

Wtf is happening

Attached: 20180806_171900-1.jpg (2236x2236, 3.93M)

Not all terminals support it. Try uxterm or urxvt.

You didn't configure your network.

Not true; a bunch of different shit installed before

Brainlet here. I'm gonna set up a Linux dual-boot. Can I still access my documents, pictures, music, etc through Linux or will I need to find new applications to open everything?

Attached: brainlet wojak.png (485x443, 24K)

Devuan: sysvinit or OpenRC?

Attached: 10113.jpg (605x579, 55K)

convince me to not install ubuntu gnome

GNOME is unnecessarily slow and has limited customization. Also, it's the Ubuntu version with all the crapware, pretty much all other flavors let you sidestep it better.

Well clearly you did something wrong. That reeks of unconfigured/misconfigured network.

I'm using a supported terminal which is Terminator, I don't know why doesn't work exactly but I'll try to install urxvt because that's a terminal I familiar with

I don't understand your question. Yes you will need new applications, native GNU/Linux applications, but they can still access your windows files.

>Update on that terminal issue

So I did install urvxt and use the same command and there is progress, it's trying to show the image but can't for some reason

Attached: 2018-08-05-231000_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 326K)

Yes, but sometimes small issues can occur. For example, I have my music located on my Windows partition, which can sometimes cause random errors when playing them through music players in my Linux partition.

Hey Jow Forums I've been using debian for a little over 2 years now and have really liked it. it was my first distribution I ever tried, and as Im waiting for a new laptop coming in the mail, I'm considering trying a new distribution: specifically Parabola or Gentoo. Which would you recommend, or how would you compare the two against each other? Thanks guys. =)

I have been fucking around with parabola in a vm the past few days, and the openrc is really fucking buggy. But I cant compare them, because i have never used gentoo.

Buggy in what way? You think it might be because of running it I'm a VM? Either way that's a good idea I should've thought of, I'll probably test and play around on both

I'm looking for a lightweight distro with a GUI to put on an usb key in case I have to do some basic file maintenance on another PC.

Is Puppy linux something like that?

then you're gonna have to use arch.
debian is not bleeding edge by nature, even if you use sid or whatever else.
You'll have to compile everything from source, each and every time, or make elaborate scripts to update for you.
vanilla arch is a good learning experience for linux. it prepares you for the next level of autism if you want to go gentoo, or even Linux From Scratch. Give it a try in a VM first.

puppy linux is more made for very low spec systems
i would reccomend having ubuntu mate LTS constantly on a usb stick or sd card

The fucks with my font on Libre office? Tried arial, Calibri and Times New Roman but shit like this is happening all over my document

Attached: Capture.png (99x32, 576)

>how can i (in xubuntu) manually force my system to upgrade to the latest chromium build?
you don't what you wrote is bullshit and it doesn't work that way.

lern2 use ppas
launchpad.net/~chromium-team/ archive/ubuntu/stable

What book should i read to fully grasp linux? Os pic related a good choice?

Attached: 1533399688061.jpg (457x600, 65K)

sudo pacman -Sy

he just needs to do dhcpcd

I can't see the exact error, because the side of the screen is cut off, but if a package has been updated on the mirror since you've synced it, it'll return 404 when you try to download it, which would look like what he's getting.
So basically, he probably needs to update his package list.

could be either, probably both.

Depends on your definition of 'Linux'. What do you want to learn?

General usage and knowledge, how it works, why it works,... as complete as possible desu. I don't know if i'm makibg any sense

Are you specifically talking about the kernel or just general linux userspace?

Both

Your question is so broad that it's hard to give you any real answer.
Just use it, and learn/tinker with shit as you need to.

There really just isn't one. You could read a general unix/linux book and get a good understanding of some underlying thing but most will probably be forgotten if you have no application to apply that knowledge too. Ask yourself, what do you want to make or achieve? Learn server management, system administration or Linux development? Then go from there, you'll learn how the system works as things comes instead of just aimlessly jumping into something.

I've gotten a laptop with Celeron and 4GB of RAM. How can I make it usable? Is buying cheapest chinese SSD and installing Gentoo + i3 is the only way? This shit struggles with two tabs open in Windows 10.

>This shit struggles with two tabs open in Windows 10.
well that's nearly 3GB or ram.
But you could also try void or arch.
since building everything on that is gonna be awful.

>usable
What do you want to use it for?
You shouldn't need gentoo with i3 to make it work. A nice minimal Debian install with a DE like mate or xfce will probably turn it more usable for light tasks.

Anything with xfce/lxde/mate/wm setup will work.I have an old laptop with a 10 y old turionx2 and 3GB RAM and it runs debian+xfce just fine. Web browsing also works with a bit a patience and the obligatory adblocker.

sorry for the common question but can someone post a good mpv config for hwdec (VAAPI) with a powerful computer?

profile=gpu-hq
hwdec=auto

When will /flgt/ shutdown now that linux is a confirmed NSA botnet?

let me know when an unused function can actually affect anything.

How do stop audio outputs from getting exclusively used so you can play more than one source?
It just werked in debian, but not on arch.

Join the ring. ring.cx/

>blatantly copying Skypes look
disgusting.

>Try to dual boot manjaro with windows
>Shrink the windows partition accordingly
>Try to install manjaro on EFI
>Restart, skips to Windows
>"Maybe grub didn't find the proper partition"
>Try to install grub manually by following the wiki
>Choose the proper EFI partition to install that booty loader
>Apparently no errors, update grub
>Restart, it keeps not detecting shit
>Try other distros
>GRUB gets installed just fine and I can access it

What gives?

>confirmed
source?

Joined, still nobody to talk to.

why is stallman getting his dick sucked by pigeons, OwO??

Attached: question.jpg (400x504, 36K)

Is minimal Debian only contains base packages?

yes.

don't use wrapper distros.

cute boy

You can access windows through linux but not linux through windows
You could set up an ntfs partition both can use though

>openssl not found
>apt list
>"openssl/stable"
This is running raspbian stretch lite. I can't into debian or pkg-config, how should I go about rectifying this? I didn't install anything into non-standard prefixes, and I wouldn't know what to put into OpenSSL_CFLAGS, so the error message isn't a helpful starting point.

Attached: 2018-08-06_14-06-31.png (642x1007, 52K)

install libssl-dev

Best KDE distro?

Also Manjaro any good now?

How many rupees is microsoft paying you false flaggers?

You can install kde on any distro

Perfect, thanks

it's literally one autist.

Use Pulseaudio.

already am.

PEBCAK. I don't understand how you could have fucked up something as simple as installing 2 packages.

Will using i3 make girls think im cool

or you know you could just tell me which packages to check for instead of making in inane post.

It's all explained in the Pulseaudio article on the Arch Wiki. No sane person is going to duplicate information on the internet and spoonfeed you.

it will make G.I.R.L.s* think you are cool.

*: Guy In Real Life

im building my first linux desktop soon! so far ive only run linux on laptops, and have used desktops primarily running windows, does anyone have any advice for hardware? id rather not have to download drivers from external sources if i have to, ill probably be running debian or open suse, if i can get away with it

Amd gpus have better drivers

>id rather not have to download drivers from external sources if i have to
the worst is you have to get an ethernet driver.
also yes buy AMD, the 580 is bretty gud.

When installing, why do i get errors every time i set an efi boot partition and write the changes

what kind of error?

post the error maybe?

>the worst is you have to get an ethernet driver.
unless he buys some super hipster special gaymen mobo, this shouldn't be a problem. And even those have a generic intel/rtl ethernet chip (in addition to the gaming ethernet) that is supported for sure.

does i3/gaps have a "next desktop" command that can be bound to a key? i'd like to have $mod+[shift+]tab switch them like how ctrl+[shift+]tab works in browsers

By desktop if you meant worksapce, then yes, it does have next, prev and toggle worksapce option

Linux is the kernel used in the Android operating system.

where is the dosbox folder on ubuntu? i run the thing but there's no folder or conf file anywhere.

Attached: 1533534106154.png (500x527, 106K)