/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

>Post your questions here

>Read
>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
>pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
>pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
>pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
>pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: 1533522944237.png (390x307, 213K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.middlebury.edu/~pjohnson/guides/linux/install-in-vm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Photoshopping that OP image is the only worthwhile contribution I've ever made to this website. Godspeed, also teach me Ruby pls

lol what's with the dumb OP picture?

that was a quote from hiro,current Jow Forums owner. Back when he took over and had a Q&A.
He is a liar though, so dont listen to him

Attached: gookspy.jpg (1402x3892, 1.02M)

How did he go to Uni in the US with his poor as fuck english skills?

Read my infographic

Actually

Attached: 1523043258507.jpg (800x619, 148K)

So, if my router has up to 150Mbps my speed link in the task manager should be close to that right?

everytime I boot my PC and get to the login screen my keyboard doesn't register any inputs. After pressing a key the keyboard "restarts" and then works normally but other times I have to reinsert the usb cable entirely for it to work. Any way to get it to stop this?

is it possible to be hacked by simply initiating email contact?

Attached: 1533516942375.png (577x67, 23K)

cracked*
no, but by reading mail

I have two 1080x1200 monitors plugged into a GT960. When one screen is in focus, the other screen experiences framerate drop for example like when watching a video and browsing a webpage on the side.

Shouldn't the GPU be able to drive both screens just fine since it's just video and web browsing?

GTX960 4GB*
derp

How can I really get rid of bubble witch saga and automatically installed apps in Windows 10? I disabled suggestions on my preferences and silent installer in my regedit.
I somehow managed to permanently disabled it on my tower but it keeps reinstalling it on my laptop.

some native clients ( notably ms outlook ) have had security holes where merely opening a message caused harm...

and an amateur webmail interface can be insecure and allow a message to be read as code... but worse that could happen normally would be for the sender to have access to other messages.

just dont load linked images, click on links, or execute attachments

Install ltsb

depends on your pc, your wireless card is probably 72mbps or 108mbps, but that wont make your 10mbps internet faster

Audio enhancements didn’t load

Attached: 29e.jpg (217x320, 19K)

Are there any recommended programming books I can read in my free time when I'm not working on little projects?
I'll read anything, even from beginner level. I know that I can get a lot of info for free online but i feel so unfocused without the data sectioned out into chapters

What happened to /wt/ ?

The problem is my PC showing speed link of 54Mbps and my sister racking 5x download speed tops with the same wi-fi on her laptop. Im triyin to figure out if i should buy a new wi-fi adapter or a better antenna.

Can't really say, it's either your card or antenna.

Windows or GNU/Linux? The Nvidia driver on Linux seems to derp out on multi monitor sometimes.

Win7

A GTX960 should be able to handle that. You might try clean-installing the driver. Also watch CPU use while this is happening to see if that's the issue.

7700k shouldn't be a bottleneck... I'll try drivers, but I'm wondering if it might be settings related. Can't find much in the settings but it could be something obscure?

A clean driver install should reset all the settings in Nvidia Control Panel, which are the ones that are most likely to matter.

And while a 7700K shouldn't be a bottleneck, modern browsers and modern websites are amazingly efficient at consuming enormous amounts of resources.

Audio enhancements didn’t load

Attached: 568ec49bd98759e80511fd41b16ef92b4bb7cc6c0b42f38b738ba881032b03cf.png (613x882, 824K)

>amazingly efficient at consuming enormous amounts of resources
You're right about that, still, CPU usage on all cores is never over ~30%. There's also ten gigabytes of ram to spare.

Okay, thanks for the tips, I can only hope it's that simple.

What is this "Audio enhancements didn’t load" nonsense?

Should I pick sysvinit or OpenRC for Devuan?

Can anyone help me find a replacement potentiometer?
It's a stereo 5k (2 channels connected to a single knob), when you turn it all the way one way it clicks and 2 pins disconnect. I can't find anything that looks right on digikey or mouser.

> pic related

Attached: IMG_20180806_000038.jpg (1384x1232, 432K)

Attached: yeet.png (1152x648, 20K)

What is the actual problem? Disable the audio enhancements, they're usually lame anyway.

systemd

Look for a part number. Also, I believe they're referred as switched potentiometers, and it's also possibly a logarithmic taper.

done that uninstalled and re installed my audio drivers ect. everything I am doing it's not workring

Thanks, but the only markings on it are "A5k" and a fancy "F." for the brand.
Regardless, turns out I left some wires too long when I replaced the wires for it and it was causing one of the channels to short. Notice on the right of the image I posted the long lead touching another solder joint.

Attached: 1460789955323.jpg (480x477, 30K)

Can I raid two different types of ssds? I have two SSDs here with different brands but seem to have the same kind of nand

Where do you people get your reaction cat collections?

by lurking moar

Attached: 1258172922594.jpg (800x600, 115K)

I'm installing arch, but I can't download anything because I don't have an ethernet connection. What do?

You dont need a external connection, base is on the image

Connect to wifi, or plug in a wifi cable.

Attached: wifi cable.png (500x733, 166K)

I tried this
pacstrap -c /mnt base xfce4 xorg-server virtualbox-guest-modules-arch virtualbox-guest-utils grub sudo
Like the tutorial said and I just got a shit load of errors
>WiFi
How?

That is not what the tutorial says.
Just install base and get a working install, then you can address any issues within the actual install.

>virtualbox-guest-modules-arch virtualbox-guest-utils
If you're inside VirtualBox, simply add a network adapter to your VM

I'm not in a virtual box
You lost me; try again

pacstrap base
finish the install
then boot in the environment and if anything isnt working, fix it from there

Error: base is not a directory

What's the best android music player?
I was using their botnet one, switched to vlc recently but I'm sure it's not the best

I've been using BlackPlayer and I'm pretty happy with it.

Did you feed it the proper commands or are you going full retard?

Hey guys, I'm going to a convention with an artists table and I borrowed a spare monitor to hook up to my laptop so I can show my art while I'm drawing.

How do I mirror the program I'm on to the monitor, and possibly have it zoomed out to normal size while it's displayed, not zoomed in like it is on my screen? If that makes sense.

I just followed this
cs.middlebury.edu/~pjohnson/guides/linux/install-in-vm
I have no idea what I'm doing

Pretty sure brand doesn't matter.

>install in a vm
Another user already asked you this and you lied.
Use the arch wiki guide

>lied
What do you mean? I'm not install g in a vm. I just Google my error and clicked on the first result

Use the arch wiki guide

So I bought a chinese made tablet and had it shipped to canada, it's not turning on(yet), what do?
It's just plugged into my computer "charging" rn.

Attached: 1523371179091.jpg (1280x960, 161K)

It's not working. Tried systemctl stop dhcpcd@interface and just get more errors

>just get more errors
Read them.

If you're using a laptop there might be a keybound display selector(on my HP it was Fn + F8)
otherwise go to:
>windows
>settings
>display
and there should be an option to mirror, or display only on screen two, etc.

GL;HF

So my email got locked. (yes I've changed the password. Also it'd made me change the password several times despite being locked. At the moment I'm fed up with following "run in a circle" rules. One of the steps involves sending a text message to a phone number, but to where, I wonder. Is there any sort of public message board where that can be done, be sent to? Without having to join up over email.

Nevermind I figures it out. Just had to retard the installation. Now that I'm not a moron where can I find packages to install?

I think if you were planning on using a call forwarding service you risk having the verification sent to a temporary number.
Might work, I'm just saying it might be risky.

Ok, I'm trying out Honeyview for reading my manga as I've been using Imageglass for about 3 or 4 years now and want something new.
When I was going through my folders to test how Honeyview worked I noticed that it's filters fucked up pixel art and and some other images from time to time. When I turned it off, I noticed that some images such as this page got really pixelated when zoomed out but looked fine at their normal size or smaller. Imageglass and even the default windows photo viewer don't have this problem.
Is there something I can do to make it not a pixelated and distorted mess when zoomed out and not a blurry smear when its zoomed in close enough to see the pixels? I could switch between soften and no filter but I really would prefer not to do that.

Attached: 2018-08-05 23_46_05-Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san - c001 (NA) [web] [STALKER Scanlation] 
_ 001.pn (686x984, 536K)

This is how it looks in imageglass.

Attached: 2018-08-05 23_44_36-ImageGlass - 1_30 file(s) - E__Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san_Sewayaki Kitsune no (681x976, 561K)

without installing ltsb

Reposting, but what do these stand for when using ROBOCOPY?

Attached: cmd_2018-08-05_00-12-01.png (1080x600, 270K)

If your art program has an option to display a separate window with the full image, do like but select extend, and drag that window over to the other screen. If not, select clone/mirror and they see exactly what you see. For best results in mirror mode, get a second screen that's the same aspect ratio and at least the resolution of your laptop screen.

Looks like shit scaling. See if it has an option to use a better scaling algorithm for zooming.

I assumed as much but I can't seem to find anything else related to image quality besides interpolation, and that doesn't seem to help in the slightest.
Maybe I'm not seeing it.

I have a couple questions regarding home networking.

Right now I have one of those ISP provided modem/router combo boxes that does 4 ethernet ports and wifi. The network quality isn't very good and the wifi has pretty bad range so I have ordered a proper router. I understand that I simply just run one ethernet from my modem to the router then every device in the house connects to that router, correct?

Also, the modem has always used a class C subnet (192.168.2.xxx) for all my devices (googled what that subnet was called, I may be wrongly wording that). and it will technically remain that way even though I won't be using it as a router anymore, I just need it as the modem to feed my router internet access. Can I safely use a class A subnet in my home network to simplify and shorten my device IPs down to 10.0.0.x or will that somehow conflict with the 192.168 subnet the model has?

Oh damn it I spelled some things wrong and missed a bit more context. Let me fix that ending question a bit

Can I safely use a class A subnet on my new router for the home network to simplify and shorten my device IPs down to 10.0.0.x or will that somehow conflict with the 192.168 subnet the modem it's connected to has?

I think it's only called a class c network
t. got a network+ certification when I was in high school and never used it

can I use USD for mullvad

are med fags better than us

I'm assuming they're only going to send a code number, which would only be used in this situation, with this email, one time only. I'd be the only one with the rest of the information on how to use it where.

No it isn't.

I said "Imagine being so fat you look at computers and see food" and someone turned it into an edit

So I keep getting snow and crackling from my HDMI cable, but it's just loose. Jiggle it around a bit, it sticks. I think it's the actual port on the gpu. Anyone have any ideas how I could fix it? It's fairly old so it might just be wear at this point, and it's out of warranty. It's not a HUGE deal but it's getting old having to jiggle it to remove the snow.

First, check that this is in fact the case. Try the same cable on a different HDMI source, or try a different cable on your GPU.

What other ports does your GPU have? If it has DVI, get a DVI to HDMI adapter. Those are cheap and passive. If it has DisplayPort, there are adapters for that to HDMI as well, though they cost a little more and have a chip inside.

Yeah I should have mentioned I checked on three monitors. It's something that happens after like a few hours of sitting. Screen blacks out for just a moment, loses signal, comes back, green visual snow, faint audio crackle. I don't have another cable on hand, so I was asking here if there were any hot tips. If it comes down to it I'll probably just get another cable then if that doesn't work, I'll try the dvi to hdmi.

Thanks user.

>Yeah I should have mentioned I checked on three monitors
Check other GPUs/players/consoles, or check other HDMI cables. You have a problem between your HDMI cable and the GPU's HDMI socket. You need to change one end or the other of this connection to find out which is bad.

That sounds like it could just as easily be a bad cable or a bad socket.

>54Mbps
you sure it's not a 'g' card? 'g' often only goes up to 54Mbps (some cards can do 108Mbps in 'g' mode)
you need an 'n' capable card for 150Mbps

Attached: 802.11-maximum-data-rate.png (604x463, 12K)

So I landed a new job as a software engineer (i'm mechanical engineering- don't ask me how they got me in) and need to know everything about AWS, SQL, C#. I have 1 month before I start. I now need to learn 3 goddamn things I only heard of and watch software friends use. Any tips on where to learn them? Would lynda or coursera be a good place? Literal brainlet reporting in

Is there a website or something to help out in choosing monitors?

I've been spending the past day looking at old 16:10 monitors and was wondering which one I should buy, Since most of these are pretty old it's hard to find reviews or true specs.

Help me bros, I want a nice cheap 16:10 monitor

Attached: Dell-U2410-430x430.jpg (430x430, 12K)

I read online it's bad practice to put several entries in a sql database row.
How can I handle cases like "one movie can have genres" or "one actor can be known under several nicknames"?

Like this.

Attached: sql_1_to_many.png (800x600, 16K)

Is there a way to change Firefox's save file dialog box to be more like Qutebrowsers? I normally save in a folder with 10000 files and it always takes ages to open.

Thanks. Does this generalizes for nicknames too?
For example, if RMS uses GNU/linux, and someone else use Linux, how can I manage the database table layout so I can know they are using the same OS?

Attached: asdf.png (800x600, 67K)

This can be use for anything.
You should look up one to one, many to one and many to many relationships in SQL.

>how can I manage the database table layout so I can know they are using the same OS?
Exactly like on my picture, but movies_table will be people, relations table will still be relations and genres will be OS_table.

Got a i5 6600 (non-K) and a ddr4 z170 mobo (because it was as cheap). Will this setup benefit from RAM overclocking?

Attached: 34585799_417837965294168_1036380264269348864_n.jpg (960x640, 104K)

Logical Increments has a monitor guide. But it's focused on modern screens. Which, as you've noticed, are generally 16:9. If nothing but 16:10 will do, well, you get to do all the legwork yourself.

Think in terms of CIDR, not classes.

Anyway the thing you're looking for is called "bridge mode" which most ISP-provided pieces of crap can do. It tells them to turn off all routing and ancillary stuff (the wi-fi interface, DHCP server, any DNS that it does, etc) and act essentially as just a modem. You then plug this now-just-a-modem thing into wherever your real router expects its WAN interface to be.

Your router can be set up however you damn well please, so yes, you can use 10.0.0.0/8 if you want to. The now-just-a-modem thing probably still exposes its own control interface on some RFC1918 address. My cable modem does on 192.168.1.100. If you have it plugged into a router though, that's inaccessible, it acts as if it were just a pipe to your public IP. If you ever need to take the thing out of bridge mode, you get to unplug it, plug it directly into some machine (which will expose it to an un-firewalled publicly-routed internet connection - don't use your unpatched Win7 gaming box for this) and access that IP.

In general, there's nothing stopping you from doing whatever you want inside the RFC1918 ranges. But remember that a lot of ISPs these days will also be handing out v6 addresses, and modern routers and modems will come by default configured to request them. Take that into account if you plan to organize addresses and subnets and routing on your own.

The iGPU benefits from RAM speed the most. If you already have fast RAM, you might as well try and use it, but unless this is a stopgap sort of thing and you intend to, for example, get a Zen 2 next year, I wouldn't go spending big bucks for fast RAM. Especially since prices are supposed to be falling (finally) over the next year or two.

But on your picture, let's say someone adds a new genre "id:4 Name:Bang Bang" and links "Movie D" to "Bang Bang" genre. You later check in and realize "Bang Bang" and "pew pew" are really the same thing, just under different names.
The best way to get around this would be to add a connecting table between "genres" and another table "are_the_same_thing" ?

Attached: 1533540832297.png (800x600, 50K)

So which sites do you use for technology related news, articles and guides except for Jow Forums?

Futurism and wired both seem cucked af

Attached: 1533045003748.jpg (640x639, 70K)

You need to use two additional tables: nicknames and nick_to_genre relation.

Something like pic related?

Attached: aasdf.png (1020x600, 70K)