I'm a total brainlet that wants to get into Linux, what's the best version to install Jow Forums?

I'm a total brainlet that wants to get into Linux, what's the best version to install Jow Forums?

Attached: file.png (220x258, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoo.inode.at//releases/amd64/20160704/livedvd-amd64-multilib-20160704.iso
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Android

zoo boon 2

Linux From Scratch. Fuck you for making this thread.

Try Manjaro KDE, if you want bleeding edge software with beautiful everything.
Try Linux Mint, if you want stable system that just works.

wget gentoo.inode.at//releases/amd64/20160704/livedvd-amd64-multilib-20160704.iso

Ubuntu unironically.

The version your friend uses so that you can get help early on. Move to something else later if you want.

Alternatively, I'd recommend something that ships an up-to-date kernel so that you have most of the security updates. Most distros are good. You can get picky later on about stuff like how many packages are installed out of the box, rolling release, what init system it comes with, etc. For now just pick whatever. Keep in mind that you can change your desktop environment without changing distros, so there's no reason to do something like jumping between lubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu. If some of these terms I'm using are confusing, I encourage you to look them up. DE stands for Desktop Environment, for example.

Linux Mint.
That's the distro name, not Linux (kernel) version. You'll probably get answers like "2.6.32" from local edgelords.

We have this same thread everyday but Ubuntu LTS or Linux Mint

How do I dual boot that alongside Windows 8?

Ubuntu

Doesn't matter unless you choose something weird (like LFS). They give different default setups and different ways to install/update software, but the part about "learning linux" is the same no matter which distro you choose.

Having a hard time selecting volume for a partition in fdisk. How am I supposed to type it?

Since when does Jow Forums unironically recommend Mint?

This. Mint is a meme. It claims to be more user friendly due to looking similar to windows, but it is a lie. It's still Linux, so you'll still have to learn new stuff. The difference is it is less stable and has less support than Ubuntu.

How is Mint "less stable?"

Chalet OS

depedency hell if installing standard Ubuntu packages

Agreed. Ubuntu is far more pedy. Mint is almost completely depeded.

Ubuntu is a good newbie friendly distro. I still use it since I'm still trying to learn command line commands and stuff.

Have Windows installed on a drive. Then make an Ubuntu live boot stick. There are instructions to do this. Basically download the live stick .iso from their website, then follow steps to make a live stick in Windows. Once you have it made, turn off your computer, turn it back on and boot into the stick instead of Windows. It'll walk you through installation, and you can edit how big you want to partition your drive between Windows and Linux. Once that's done you can dual boot between them.

Unironically gentoo

So if I have Windows already installed on my hard drive I do it the same way?

meme answer: qubes
based answer: gentoo

Yes. Watch this 9 minute tutorial on how to "Dual-Boot"
Dual-booting allows you to boot from multiple operating systems (OS's like Windows or Linux distros) on a USB drive.

I think you forgot the video.