I like Emacs, i think it's really good software

I like Emacs, i think it's really good software

Attached: love.png (1366x768, 227K)

I just wish eshell worked like a terminal without needing a zillion hacks.

ansi-term and friends are nice, but they screw with regular emacs shortcuts. At that point, I might as well just use a standalone terminal emulator.

I remember using emacs in my first year of college because the professor's assistant told us he uses it. I thought it was the only way to SSH into our server so I used it for that. Ever since then I never really had a reason to use it when I have VSCode and nano

Attached: fgx4fdk.png (2560x1440, 648K)

Emacs is great but the default keybinds ARE FUCKING TERRIBLE! Who the fuck had the shitty idea to make you dance all over the keyboard to even go up and down?
Also... this thread is now an Emacs general

I, too, am a fan of the Emacs/Linux operating system.

>shell: emacs
Has emacs gone too far?

Attached: 1527454504182.jpg (300x212, 12K)

Emacs would be perfect if you could force tabs in all modes.

I imagine emacs keybinds are better than vim keybinds in respects to non-qwerty layouts

Attached: 5421136762_45f830c987_b.jpg (1024x724, 447K)

Visual Studio Code is better

>first year of college
>I thought it was the only way to SSH into our server
Imagine being this much of a brainlet.
Also there's seriously no reason that a text editor needs an ssh client. That's just retarted.

Attached: lilyBOI.jpg (567x600, 39K)

I wish Emacs had a decent text editor.

his blog posts after that are about VS Code. just another hipster trying to masquerade as someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Attached: 5F4E2C3C-224E-43A0-BF99-92E1A281B355.jpg (825x959, 69K)

can one pic contain so much s0.y

Is it your screenfetch, OP?

what can you tell me about openSuse? i cant decide between suse and manjaro

Emacs is waaaaaaay to bloated for me. i need a text editor, not a fucking OS

Just install Ubuntu then emacs

>point out org-mode
>in a markdown file
>that disgusting wrapping in middle of words

No. Eshell is pretty comfy. Imagine you do grep and instead of getting a bunch of text you have to save somewhere if you don't want it to be pushed off screen by following commands, you get an interactive window (frame for non-emacs people) from where you can pop up found files with key-bound commands.

Can you tell about Manjaro?

>using brainlet-tier word wrapping
You might as well go back to using vs code, you cuck.

Are you implying th
at wrapping whole w
ords is worse?

Also, you can setup sensible word wrap in Emacs when you aren't a brainlet.

The last time I took a look at that mistake it broke how fringes should display broken lines, and it's suboptimal compared to character based wrapping.

Give me one (1) good reason to spend time learning emacs/vi/vim.

for fun

I don't find it fun at all.

vim lskdfl
:r!neofetch
:x
cat lskdfl
>shell: vim

>coherent interface for doing most of your work
>insanely optimized keybindings that let you work fast and efficiently

>Opinion
Still waiting for a good reason.

You save time.
Thats all.

How much time am I saving by using w instead of the directional keys, or ctrl+direction? Literally seconds? Don't really see that worth the economy of time I'd have to invest to learn it.

I based my post around facts.

facts such as keybindings, something thats so factual it's caused the equivalent of a war between people who vehemently believe their bindings are some how superior? Looks more opinion based than fact based.

Yes seconds. Im the kind of person that automates everything. If you dont care about that It wont be worth to you. Im spending many hours infront of a computer writing text so every second counts for me.

What would you say is the best resource(s) to learn Elisp? I'm reading the two manuals but I feel like they are more like a documentation-like thing than a guide to learn it properly.

Have you tried counting how many keystrokes it takes you to accomplish some editing task? You can reason about these without resorting to opinion.

Did you try the elisp intro?

Emacs truly is the superior OS

Install evil mode or switch caps lock with left ctrl. Your pinky will thank you.

Define work

Define optimized keybindings

If we are talking about text edition, no, it's obscure overcomplicated shit.

>Have you tried counting how many keystrokes
I have not. But again, I can not imagine that the save of seconds per day is worth the economy of time I'd have to invest in learning it.

Yes, I tried to learn Elisp a year ago with that and the Elisp reference manual (very briefly, and now I don't remember much to be honest). Should I start with the Elisp Intro again and go through it entirely or can I start directly with the Elisp Manual?
I assume that the Elisp Manual contains everything the Elisp Intro has and more, Is this true?

Learning how to use something different can sometimes teach you how to make you more efficient with what you prefer to use.
It's the small things, and they can add up over time. Like I never would have even thought to use shift+home/end or shift+ctrl+home/end to highlight for copy/cut/paste or use end->→ to get to the start of the next line or home->← to get to the end of the previous line fast if I wasn't forced to use emacs through ssh for a semester or two.

>If we are talking about text edition, no, it's obscure overcomplicated shit.
I guess you'll be happy still using nano, then.

If you did the intro already but its already a year ago then Id recommend you do it again, especially the exercises.

Read elisp, write elisp, and refer to the elisp manual as necessary.

It only takes about 25-30 mins to learn. 2-3 minutes and you will have basic navigation/editing down.

if you need convincing then don't bother.

Attached: 1329331748082.png (406x452, 30K)

bru just do C-c C-j in term mode
boom all your emacs commands work

What are some good manuals/guides to start learning emacs for someone who's never used it?