Is Wayland the shit?

Attached: 200px-Wayland_Logo.svg.png (200x200, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zsz7Shbnb9c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes.

X is absolute, unadulterated, pure fucking garbage, and I wholeheartedly welcome the advent of Wayland, or literally any other display server/protocol that comes along and takes X to the fucking gallows once and for all.

The model as a whole is extremely outdated, visibly inefficient, insecure, and it such a fucking mess of spaghetti code and extensions and life support that only a few people on the planet still understand how to actually maintain it. Their opinion on X? "Kill it with fire, please."

For a group of people that love to lambaste Windows users for having "babyduck syndrome", I've never seen more babyducks when it comes to the retards peddling the "x-xorg just werks" shit and spreading dumbfuck FUD about Wayland. (Of course, in all fairness, it doesn't help when all the distros out there wanted to be the first kids on the block to use Wayland and started pushing it out before it was 100% ready, leading to the average retarded joe to swear off of it.)

Similarly, for a group of people that jerk themselves off over software minimalism, there sure are a lot of people that love to suck the bloated dick of X. The same people who cry "Systemd does way too much for an init system!" seem to have no problem with all of the shit a display server shouldn't be doing, and they're too fucking retarded to understand that the Wayland protocol will eventually/has already gotten standardized extensions/addons for the sorts of shit they're bitching about (for instance, screensharing is now implemented under Pipewire, which on a side note, will kill another cancer, PA, eventually)

Simply put, and in simple user terms--X is responsible for a lot of the jankiness of the Linux desktop (as you'd expect of a display server that's been kept on life support for 30 years), and when Wayland is eventually adopted, it'll go a LONG way towards bringing Linux to the fucking 21st century.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zsz7Shbnb9c

Good video on the subject.

How about simply "X works". Wayland has a lot of promise but it's not really ready for primetime yet. It's wonky if you don't like Gnome. And it's still missing basics like setting global hotkeys to control your music player without switching to its window.

>Wayland protocol will eventually/has already gotten standardized extensions/addons for the sorts of shit they're bitching about
Any progress for being able to do the equivalent of X11 forwarding over ssh? It's nice sometimes to open a graphical program running on another machine.

Nah, it's just shit.

10 years and WM authors still need to create monstrosities instead of composite managers to have basic functionality of X.

Is Wayland usable now? Do you use it?

It certainly is shit.

>love to suck the bloated dick of X
Let's see, on X I have:
>External keyboard daemon (the one I like the most)
>External keyboard layout switcher
>External screenshooter (the best one for me)
>External clipboard manager
And so on. I don't even use external compositor as my drivers have great "TearFree" option (that doesn't work under Wayland, by the way).
Meanwhile on Wayland all this shit not only can't be switched for another but is part of the fucking compositing manager. That's the epitome of bloated shit.

>no equivalent of xdotool
>"security risk"

X is old but it works and it's stable. wayland fucking sucks right now but give it 30 years and it MIGHT be good as X

>wayland is shit
>we are still stuck on ext 4

why is linux suffering?

what's wrong with ext4? I literally never had an issue with it

This, and programs setting global hotkeys. I get the security concern, but fuck. Prompt the user before allowing a program to do it, and include a "don't ask again for this program" option. Don't head down the road of removing useful features because they could be used for evil. The only logical conclusion is replacing computers with rocks -- it may be useless but at least it isn't going to get hacked.

Btrfs looks pretty and tempting with all those features. Ext4 is plain and boring but reliable and never loses your data.

That's the thing. It is like fat32 of linux, no innovation and even the developer admited it

The worst about it is, that it has no xlib.
You have to use a toolkit that uses its arcane magic (qt, gtk, efl, clutter and sdl)

Why does a filesystem need innovation? It stores files. It doesn't lose data on crashes. It's reasonably possible to recover data if your filesystem gets corrupted somehow. It even supports in filesystem encryption.

Because you are using a filesystem, piece of software that you can't ever replace (without moving data) and you can only update it. Ext4 will be deprecated but btrfs will keep moving

But with innovation comes new features. And new features are often buggy at first. Bugs are the opposite of what you want in a filesystem. I'll take a boring, stable, reliable filesystem over one with pretty features.

Compare to btrfs where it works great until one day it doesn't.

Kill it with fire...

>my drivers have great "TearFree" option (that doesn't work under Wayland, by the way).
Wayland's rendering model is "every frame is perfect". Unless somebody fucks something up hard, there won't be any tearing on a Wayland compositor.
Wayland actually has the concept of a complete frame in its protocol.

Xlib itself is fucking crap. At least use xcb if you're going to write raw X11 code.
Also, the equivalent is just libwayland-client. It's harder to use than Xlib/xcb, but there is absolutely nothing forcing you to use a toolkit.

no, it's just shit

>Wayland's rendering model is "every frame is perfect".
This means jack shit for xwayland applications, because it defaults to "modesetting" X driver.