Thinkpad General Trapcode Edition

Previous thread: →
If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: download_20180729_154233.jpg (2048x1536, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nashville.craigslist.org/sys/d/lenovo-lssd-8gb-ram-i5-dvd/6650056210.html
support.lenovo.com/pt/en/solutions/migr-70697
youtube.com/watch?v=tmXKuObDZ4c
lugs.ch/lib/vortraege/x230_coreboot_neuted_me.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>mah x210

Attached: 20180710_001953~01.jpg (1920x1080, 263K)

Looks nice!

I did it /tpg/...
I bought another one...
Collecting Thinkpad has become a compulsion.

X220 or X220t?

Also can you use the same RAM and battery on both of these models?

Go with the X220.

Attached: 7.png (216x233, 13K)

He is so ugly, don’t call him a trap.

Nope, they have a different shape for the battery. I'd go with the x220 since the hinge for the display is sturdier and overall compacter, the panel though it is hard to find an IPS version?

He's /tpg/ official meme. No bully.

Leave her alone and remember to buy genuine batteries for your thinkpads.

ikr? I got the x200 at the start of the year and bought an x220 last month. Still looking for an x60 and after I get that I'd like an x40.
What ones do you lads have and or want to get?

Attached: IMG_20180806_201945.jpg (4160x3120, 1.35M)

Is that a dude or a chick in that picture?
If a chick she is kinda attractive
If a guy then fuck that is gay

Ironic I know

S"he"'s a WO"man" but very cute. The X220 is Betty gud.

>When Thinkpads come with a default resolution lower than 1080p.

How can you guys be ok with Lenovo following this trend on machines that cost over $700+ new.

The second hand shit just is dated tech with the same followed trend that Lenovo has today.

I know the specs are decent for $150< but the resolution is so bad for anyone who actually uses the screen to read from. I have no idea why you guys praise these machines for programming when you are literally substituting a tower with a screen for a laptop with an external screen (knowing full well the default screen is shit)

Can someone explain this logic to me. I would really like to know what the go is

This is literally what politicians would reply with if they were trying to win over onions boys and onions girls

She's my Korean princess leave her alone. Now remember to buy genuine parts for your Thinkpad.

Also
>Written from a Lenovo ideapad 700-17isk

I got this during mid year sale. It has an SSD and graphics card. All the boring stuff but with half the price tag that a normal new Thinkpad has

Are you a "nice guy" mi'lady

If you don't fuck me you're a whore.
I identify as an incel with 99/99 levels on runescape. How dare you talk to me you degenerate

What SSD & graphics card did you go with?
Kek

Attached: i_have_no_memes96_v2_1833406758538913376_2369980963chris.jpg (750x738, 195K)

In Australia you don't get the selection that the states gets. "I have no fucking idea why that is"

I went with an Nvidia 950, 128 SSD samsung shit thing. Screen is 1080p because of the retarded inability to select options in Australia with Lenovo.

This was two years ago yet this laptop, apart from the 6th gen CPU and DDR 3 RAM, still presents near performance with the 8th gen thinkpads.

The only thing I notice is that two years down the track the screens brightness isn't as bright as it use to be. The battery still lasts a solid 5 hours which was normal.
>3.4 GHZ
>Nvidia 950
> 1080pi
>128 Gig Samsung NV
< 16 gig DDR3 RAM

The board has an unused m.2 slot which I thought was strange.

Personally it is ok for gaming and typing but I would love a nub and more grip on the keys. Plus the aging on the internal terminal compounds meant you would usually take apart the CPU and GPU to renew that for better cooling. It throttles to 3.2 instead of 3.4ghz. Not much but it never throttled for 1.6years.
I can't be fucked buying special stuff to replace Intels and Nvidias cooling compounds.

I brought this Laptop mostly because it used a duel cooling system and that allowed heat to quickly escape through the rear vents.

Most laptops fail with cooling designs but Lenovo did a nice design with this machine.

I have renewed the thermal compounds with expensive shit but that only fixed minor heat issues.

I have used it for machine learning and number crunching. I was heavily into programming maze solvers so heat was always a consideration with machines.

I have a tower and laptop but with both of them I get into different frames of minds when using the two. My laptop is mostly technical while tower is shit posting and gaming.

Does anyone know if he also does the classic keyboard with ISO layout for these x210s? UK fag here.

Also how's stability & battery life on Windows 10? Any problems with it yet?

>x210
>Mah dyslexia

Alright friendos. My battery in my X220 is the original 9 cell. It’s still at 85%.

Gaming gear but on a budget. Touch screen so I can use W10 properly.
?

No, the X210 is a motherboard swap for the X201. Pretty cool imho. Have a look on 51nb.

Real pain to carry. Crappy battery.

Why do devs put so many fucking stickers on their thinkpad, doesnt anyone apprecistr a clean, minimalist desktop and outlook or is that too memestream and boring that every aspect of their laptop + appearance is as hairbrained as their workflow?

Attached: Stickers_on_Amir's_laptop.jpg (4152x2925, 3.09M)

appreciate*

Hmm. I'm new this idea. That is pretty cool. Sorry for my shitpost, user.

I assume you can just swap for a different keyboard layout. It's pretty stable only problem being the trackpad and trackpoint could be dead after awaking from sleep. Solution is to put it to sleep again and wake up the second time.
And there will be a third batch being the last and most refine version.
Not so much, it's pretty light to me.

tripcode is my dad

Whhaaaa but she's pure. Remember to check out the X210.

Attached: trapcode.jpg (500x375, 64K)

I'm from /o/ and seek purchase advice. I'm poor and need a laptop to take to school this fall and type shit. That's all it has to do, and I'm not trying to spend more than 3 or 4 hundred USD.

I've never bought a used PC before. Does the following link look worth checking out? What should I inspect on a used laptop before handing money over? Do they usually need any maintenance, like batteries/chargers?

nashville.craigslist.org/sys/d/lenovo-lssd-8gb-ram-i5-dvd/6650056210.html

MY WIFE'S BOYFRIEND JUST BOUGHT ME A X220T!!!!!!!

Attached: soy.jpg (400x400, 23K)

Laptop looks alright, although it only has a 128GB SSD but for your use case it should be more than enough, I'm guessing you'll be sticking with Windows for Office and other things. The dock allows you to connect it to multiple monitors and use more ports, basically just place the laptop on top of it and go, like turning it from a laptop to a desktop.
In terms of maintenance, you don't really have to do anything major, once you get it, give it a wipe maybe, that's about it. The ad says 8GB of RAM so I'd check that before handing money over, you can check it by right clicking the start menu and clicking 'System'. Hope school goes alright for you user

How do I source genuine batteries? I have an x220 tablet that needs a new 9 cell, the old one is only getting a few hours now.

Found a x260

I7-6500U
8gb ram
256 ssd

For 250. worth it?

Definitely with that i7 user

>duel cooling system
now i imagine two dudes in trench coat wearing fedoras and fighting with cooler shaper katanas

I'm the user you replied to. So far I got :

>X60
>X61s
>X220
>T40

I'd like to move from the X series a little and have a T420 or T430.

(You)

I just updated the bios in an x230 and it went from being cool 'n quiet to being hot and loud as fuck. Is this the spectre patch thing? What do.

Are there practically no difference between the parts of a T and W 530?
I have a T530 with i7 3840QM and nvs5400m, and while using both of these at once, the CPU temps hovers just below 90c. Am considering upgrading to the W530's heatsink, where the fans look larger and have one extra heatpipe to the CPU. I just repasted and there's no difference, so the T530's heatsink might not be sufficient to carry all the heat away, even if there's no throttling if I max out the CPU only.
I assume their motherboards are the same too?

traps like this that dont even make an effort to be cute disgust me

People of a left-wing persuation tend to mistake personality with identity. It's also a handy shibboleth to their ideology. Just looking at that photo you can be 100% sure that guy voted either for Hillary or Bernie.

Attached: 2ac02b4aae6d7a3b0ef26cccfb08bb6d5944831c61ece28aa88dafbebd15701a.jpg (600x568, 38K)

Gonna buy a x200 and a t60 or a x60

What model ThinkPad is that tho

Jow Forums praises custom ROMs, custom desktops and custom lock screens (and probably custom car paint jobs) but not the back of your laptop. Explain yourself.

Is buying a refurbished t440s with an i5, 8gb of ram, a 240gb ssd and an ips 1920x1080 a good choice? Will use it in college.

I know that x200's can finicky with 8gb ram and the memory I bought for mine ended up not letting me boot. Can anyone share what 8gb memory they bought for their x200 that worked?

""Hi guysssshhhhhhh I love ThinkPawwdssshhhhhhhhhhhhh"

I can choose between a X220T and a T440p
Which do I pick, obviously the T440 is like two generations newer but I hear good things about the tablet edition
Would there be a big difference in performance between them

ThinkPad and business laptops are not good for gaming. When they are good for gaming, budget is nowhere to be seen.
>Not posting their budget or what size screen they want to get.

They are mostly similar, W series is just a Test series with premiums at a baseline.

>Wanting 16GB ram on a core 2 duo laptop.
Top lel. Go with Hynix PC3-10600s

Big difference.
Xx20 series has an underpowered, old as shit CPU. One generation up makes a world of difference.

>Real pain to carry

Huh? No.

What is it with trannies and thinkpads, christ...

That's sad to hear, wanted to experience the fabled tablet

>What is it with trannies and thinkpads, christ...
You mean what is it with trannies and obscure tech hobbies.

Is a W530 any good?

I'd imagine very.

it's heavy, but it's pretty good
Ps: it's heavy only if you're a weakling, are you one user?

Not as good as the Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

fuck off with your slim fragile and underpowered fag machine
you fucking twat

Damn son that's some 'tism.

He's right tho.

>trannies and TP
Is that a thing now?

so this happened to my X270 that was purchased 2 months ago.This laptop literally just sits on my work desk, I never take it anywhere. Da fuck.

Nah, you're a moron.

forgot pic ofc

Attached: tpk.jpg (540x960, 64K)

That's what happens when you buy Lenovo garbage manufactured after 2011.

I did not buy it, got it at work.

That should be covered under warranty, call / email Lenovo and see what they say.

ofc. But it is just super weird how something liek that can actually happen.

Must've been a bad batch of plastic when they made the keys I guess. It does seem like something that should've been caught in QC before it ever got shipped out. I doubt that problem is limited to just your machine, it probably affected an entire batch of keyboards.

>rent is high and already have a laptop
>still looking at x220 thinkpads on ebay
help

Just go homeless and carry a thinkpad with you.

get a roommate

Sounds like absolute hell

im a tranny and im diagnosed autistic
cant handle other people seeing the absolute state i am in at all times

interesting idea

Can anyone link me the parts page for the X201 laptop? i can only find the X201 tablet[0] and i think they have different parts since the battery i have isnt listed there :/ tyty in advance

[0]: support.lenovo.com/pt/en/solutions/migr-70697

Why don't you just get autismbux from the government then?

>im a tranny
Leah stop shitposting and finish Libreboot for the X220 already.

There is a 1080p mod for the t430/420 models and some others. All it is is a 1080p ips pannel and a controller board. You plug the controller board I to the laptops lvds connector and the LCD's lvds cabble. It's chink shit, so only about a months worth of time to get it,, but it's penomenal.

>cant handle other people seeing the absolute state i am in at all times
Why'd you make it worse by going trans? At least as a guy, no one gives a fuck if your appearance is a little off. As a girl, if you don't look 'normal' you stand out like crazy.

I usually give mine to friends that happen to need a reliable laptop and use that as an excuse to get a new (used) one.

x230
x200t
x31
t61
t440s (yuck)

Oh btw are there any options to remove Intel ME from the x230? Libreboot is a pipe dream right?

Do you have it? I've read there is some screen flicker issues with that adapter, don't know if it's fixed now.
youtube.com/watch?v=tmXKuObDZ4c

Coreboot + me_cleaner removes most of it leaving only the startup code that is probably harmless.
lugs.ch/lib/vortraege/x230_coreboot_neuted_me.pdf

not easy here, it was easier 40 years ago but due to abuse they got stricter :(

but

i don't go out much to be honest

>I don't go out much to be honest
Neither do I, but it's still easier to have self esteem as a guy, even if you are derpy. Women are like sports cars, a single scratch or some dirt can ruin the appeal of the entire thing. Guys are like jeeps or other utility vehicles, it doesn't matter how scratched or banged up it is, as long as it can drive.

Don't trust that girl, just buy Chink batteries. I bought a six cell for my T420 and it works decent, well wort the like $20 instead of $70+ for a real one.

Right, enough of autistic tranny blogposting.

Don't put an autistic tranny in the OP then.

sorry :(

would you guys laugh at me for buying a brand new 6th gen X-1?

Yeah, if you buy Lenovo shit manufactured after 2011 you are a brainlet just wasting money desu

The t480 with the best screen would be a better option for pretty much every case except thinness/weight and it's not even that thick/heavy

I have a history of problems with phone batteries from China, but I will try the laptop ones.

Yeah, you never really know what you get with the Chinks. Think I just picked the cheapest though, or the cheapest with at least a few reviews.