Web development is a lot harded than I imagined

I fell for meme that web-dev is joke and them being considered not real programmers. But turned out it's one of the hardest disciplines out there. Both front-end and back-end are extremely hard.

Attached: laravel.jpg (808x449, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I was a retard and listened to Jow Forums and now I feel entitled to write a blog post about it instead of just using the existing general created for this topic.

My front and back ends are extremely hard if you know what I mean.

its not that hard. its just that you have to learn so much shit. just knowing a language isnt enough. e.g.
for frontend alone you have to know
>react/vue/angular
>all of the css shit like animations and stuff
>webpack
>how websockets work
and a bunch of other stuff. to top it all of, after like three months the libraries have updated so much that your code becomes impossible to maintain.

people who claim it's easy have never touched web development

giving birth to children is pretty hard too
so is eating shit and taking big dicks up the ass

t. speaking from personal experience

Attached: barrybeebensonsmug.jpg (225x225, 5K)

It isn't hard if you have the brain for it, but most people just aren't wired that way. We all still run into challenges now and again, but for the person who is trying to do WebDev because it pays well and not because they enjoy development are going to have a rough time. Plus, if your image is related to your experience, it's part of the problem. Laravel is training wheels for development and you hardly ever learn anything that isn't explicitly inside the scope of Laravel.

>npm install leftpad
>its 100mb in size
>need to polyfill and transpile because browsers
>result is still 100mb
>some russian hax0r hacks it and now it is a GRU botnet that prints cka blyat in console.
>can't even pad correctly because of JavaScript's retarded dynamic typing and type conversions.
>wait 1 month
>update proyect
>everything is broken

Can you show me how to harden my backend?

>frontend
>html5, css3, es6, shouldn't take that long to grasp
>react + webpack to be hirable
>css pre-compilers are a plus

>backend
>skip this step if you're planning on using JavaScript on the backend too or learn python or ruby to process requests
>a server-side framework like django/rails/node
>some form of sql

>probably wouldn't hurt to have
>ssh and cli knowledge, particularly with linux
>a cli editor for making changes while ssh'ed

Maybe you are just retarded.

t. Transitioning out of my web dev clients because it’s so easy, Pajeet and Andrei have turned it into a commodity and a race to the bottom price-wise. Moving into other fields with a higher barrier of entry.

you probably shouldn't play software dev if you have an IQ of just 100

stop being a fag

You're just stupid. 6 weeks of webdev courses and you can make websites better than 90% of the shit out there.

>Tyrone's dick 2x a day
>squatz and oatz

Attached: 1523266592995.jpg (414x414, 23K)

Stick to 1-2 estabilished frameworks for a while and it'll be easier. Don't listen to these cunts here, webdev might be easier in certain aspects than other dev fields but the complexity arises in other points.

Attached: 1449582920343.jpg (700x525, 42K)

>But turned out it's one of the hardest disciplines out there
It's not.
I'm not saying it's easy, but come on.

It's not hard like actual rocket science is hard, it's hard like building a huge and elaborate Rube Goldberg machine is hard.
Webdev has so many moving pieces and bullshit frontend libraries to do anything it's simply a nightmare to keep it all standing up.

Am I imagining things or did things slow down a bit?
New disrupting things don't come out that fast right now.
It's still a lot, but it's not like that the current frameworks and development processes are going to be obsolete in the foreseeable future.

Or am I completely wrong here?

What the fuck did you expect?

I was pretty sure that those 'Learn X in a week' or 'Get a job in web dev in a couple of months' videos/tutorials were bullshit.

Also Laravel is easy.

it's not that hard if you know css and javascript. use bootstrap (or whatever), get a framework up, and go from there.

There are many people who can do it, but there are very few who can do it well

web dev isn't hard. it's just a fucking mess of a clusterfuck of bad practices and fake flavor of the month framework circle jerk

kek

this. it's not hard because of the knowledge, but because it's a HORRIBLE FUCKING MESS

learn Go, or Rust, or Haskell

A website breaks down to HTML, CSS, and JS. The thousands of libraries, frameworks, pre-processors, and other gay shit inevitably farts out the fundamentals.
Webdev is as hard as you make it.

Web dev is very limited and dependant on browser support and that is slow as fuck so there are long periods of nothing new in web dev because of that.

Link me to these courses pls

can confirm
today i wrote some of the most complicated code I've ever written in my 6+ months at my fullstack position
>vue code
>not template code
>state management
>actions, getters, dispatch, shitloads of async + promise.all
it doesn't help that my coding style is wizardry
the end result was pages of closures, higher order functions, inverted dictionaries, helper functions to help helper functions to help xyz
it's... it's a beauty
coded for 2 hours, then only needed about 15 minutes to fix all the errors with debugger and eslint
and then another ~40 minutes for refactoring and manual testing, talking to pm's, etc

might not use a lot of algorithms very often but if your design skills aren't good your codebase will turn into unworkable spaghetti unbelievably fast.

lol

C'mon. It's harder than what the embedded, low-salary shills say but it isn't that hard, user.

Just stay away from "js frameworks."
If your boss asks if we should implement node/angular/vue say no.
If your boss tells you to implement it start looking for another job.
If you need anything remotely complex, use Laravel or Rails. Personally I don't like ruby at all, so I only use WP for small projects and Laravel for big ones. But ultimately Rails and Laravel are the same in terms of development flow and organization.

Yeah, links please

I've wanted to do web dev as a hobby and a quick course (already an experienced programmer in other areas) would be great

Currently doing a tutorial for python flask and id rather something js,CSS,html

Attached: IMG-20180515-WA0000.jpg (1029x1600, 127K)

I never got past the "you don't have enough experience for this entry level position" stage of bullshit. Faggots keep offering me easy tech support jobs

It used to piss me off then I realized in order to have a job in that industry I'd have to spend all my time keeping up with the bullshit framework of the day.

Web development is easy on the surface and easy to get into.

It's also a gold rush full of idiots trying to make 300k "coding" with a month or two of bootcamping.

It's definitely not as hard as game dev but compared to just normal software engineering you have to know so much more.

The frameworks have libraries that have versions that have depencies, you have to know all about browser APIs too, then on top of all that you also need to learn extra frameworks inside your frameworks.

So now you're using node, with express, inside that express you're running react.. Then you have to manage state with redux, then manage that state with redux thunks.

Then you have CSS, which obviously has it's own framework in Sass so you have to learn animations and positioning and all sorts of shit just to make things by yourself.

And all this is before you even learn a second language or add in database knowledge, which guess what? Yep they all have new ORMs to learn and their own languages, yep each language also has frameworks to learn, yep that framework has libraries within libraries too.

Just knowing how to write the code isn't even enough, because everything has a new fucking mini language syntax beneath it.

And that's just the basics and getting started. Next comes the patterns and anti patterns. Actually hosting your shit and learning DevOps. It's like an endless stream of needing to learn new shit.

Yep, you also need to learn algorithms and all the other comp sci shit too. This is why web developers look like retards to outsiders, because they only see wordpress morons who install a theme. They're not even real developers because they deal with none of this.

The courses won't make you create better websites alone. You will.

If you depend on the right content to actually do it, then you won't have what is necessary.

>Neo:
>What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?

>Morpheus:
>No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

Das kannst du deiner Oma erzählen.

Attached: shot00071.png (494x545, 284K)

AHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHHHHAAA!

oh man your kidding right?

Been stuck on writing a function that takes an array and makes it a linked list for awhile now. Pretty rough.

I seriously hope this is bait
>guy in my pitiful cs class is supposedly a PHP dev for some random company
>cant implement doubly circular linked lists in C#

Just use ASP.NET and C#, then it's not hard. it's hard when you use everything open-source Javascript.

nice summary

t. retard

nope
server-side is quite easy to deal with traffic, security, speed etc. It's a different mind set fron front end but it's far from hard. dealing with databases etc is very easy compared to memory management.

front-end is hard, you have to have some really fucking autistic mind set to think 99% of websites actually look """good""" and what retard design to go with

And then re learn again all the new shit that will be the hype in 2 years.

It's all so tiresome.

>Look at me, Im very clever!

I already fired a guy like you and we needed 6 months to refactor/redo all his code so new people could understand it.

KISS

yeah because those monkeys reinvented the wheel in the hardest way possible due to multiple layers of leaky abstractions and accumulated tech debt

you can't build complex systems with simple tech that is was once, it will evolve and become even more complex than it could have been if designed properly

it's harder than embedded development

t. embedded developer

Pfff...
Front end, back end, dev ops, sys ops, net ops.... full stack web dev is easy!

Though srsly speaking - most of webdev (minus .*ops) is crud + show something simple in UI. (Not all projects are like that) but when you add that most webdev projects are written by idiots (bad code, hype driven developement, mostly code by juniors...) you see that webdew is swamp.

webshit is easy, if you cant do webshit you should honestly just give up

everything is a swamp
all you get is people who don't give a shit trying to make money, that want to put in the minimal amount of effort.

Have you seen those "day in a life videos" on youtube? like 40 people working on some super basic shit doing fuck all

You're a retard if you use so many frameworks
You're also a retard if you use node.js

ORM is an antipattern, never use ORM
Next time use a good stack instead of crap.
vert.x + vue.js/react or elm + postgresql is all you need and will beat other stacks in both performance and maintainability

Yeah because using something like activerecord sure is worse than writing out all the SQL queries by hand.

Yup, and people should also learn things that have no job openings like Elm and vue.

"Day in life videos"
no. I have enough days in my own life.
What I tried to say is that webdev most of the time is bigger seamp than anything else. Mostly because it is first job of many juniors and those that end up stuck there are shit. Doesn't apply to all webdev jobs thoigh

I speak only Javascript and Angular
animations? someone has to do it, I just copy paste that shit
what's the point of learning Vue and React when it will be obsolete in 2 years, I don't understand memers who use that shit.
Also learn at least basics of HTML and CSS
I write inline css styles and don't give a damn