Thinkpad vs MacBook

>which one do you go for and why?
>what are some distinct advantages one has over the other?

I'm looking to buy a laptop at 1,000-2,000€ that can handle CAD applications and Ableton.

Attached: ruecken-an-ruecken-apple.jpg (960x430, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/ThinkPad
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Using windows apps
Use windows laptop

Something inside me wants to know what the MBP craze is about, but it's really hard to rationalize buying a MacBook when they cost significantly more for worse parts.

I dont even like the round, bright design (looks like a women's device).

Attached: g2.png (715x416, 30K)

The operating system. Since Mac os runs on the same hardware as windows laptops, you can emulate will down rather well. This allows you have a balance of Mac os only apps couple with Windows apps via parallells, boot camp, or VMware fusion. The style has always been the same design with good or bad changes, and people still enjoy using them. Backing up and restoring your data is painless on Mac os compared to windows. Bootable device? Check, multiple bootable devices? It's built into the system.
Thanks to the media toolkit in windows 10 it helps a lot compared to the former, but this is just a few. I would say hardware fails more frequently and that is where the pain comes from because everything is glued or soldered. Not user friendly to replace and anyone thinking they can replace parts needs to be very careful compared to a windows laptop.

Shitty typing aside from the drugs I'm on I meant USB bootable drive like a winPE drive.

Dell XPS, Lenovo is shit these days

I prefer macOS to Windows too.
However OP is on a fixed budget and wants to use CAD. Needs a fast CPU/GPU, a good graphic card and plenty of RAM for that. A good SSD capacity or hybrid Disk if possible.
Macs are expensive as well as every accessory.

You could get even better with the regular t480. I don't think there's really a reason to get the S version.

I decided to own both so I have the option to not worry about which is better. They both give me the same amount of productivity, since they both run the same programs...

The only reason you'd need something specific is for its developer's ecosystem. But at the end of the day, both should have no problem doing what you're trying to do. Its more like "huuuurrrr who should I shit my money on because I can't decide where to install my apps lawlz"

Just pick one with a sufficient processor and and enough ram, and a fast cpu and move on, ignore what others think.

T480s has soldered RAM

>1,000-2,000€
You aren't going to find an exceptional MacBook at that price, telling you now.

Attached: 1414223213542.png (297x231, 111K)

wow drugs are cool

>exceptional MacBook
>at any price point
Pick one.

Attached: 1522436749149.jpg (656x611, 52K)

you're right, sorry

I just bought a thinkpad t60 with a intel 32 bit dual core for around $30 2 days ago OP and it's comparable with my $750 quad core ryzen HP laptop with a ssd in it. This thing is both beautiful and function even around 12 year later, the keyboard is fucking god tier.

In short fuck both modern macbooks and thinkpads, get yourself a IBM thinkpad with x62 mobo from 51nb and IPS display and it will be good for another 10 years

Attached: 2018-08-05-230700_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 294K)

tell me how that is in any way comparable, I can use notepad on both a p3 and a xeon gold but that doesn't make them comparable

In general, I'd say it depends on whether you want/need mac, but if you are doing CAD, you are fucked, you need a GPU. So get a refurbished P-series thinkpad.

>I can use notepad on both a p3 and a xeon gold but that doesn't make them comparable

I'm talking about real world applications for basic use such as web browsing, listen to music, typing documents and making presentations. Most of high school and college fags beg either their mom and dad, credit card companies or the government to loan nearly $1000 to $2000 to buy the new shiny MacBook Pro with Emoji Bar™ and Touch ID™ just to do the same shit i mention earlier. I could easly do the same shit comparable in speed and time with my IBM thinkpad T60 for less than 1% of the cost of a macbook

You only get a Macbook Pro when you're actually making content or products that make money, Macbooks are investment and you need to make your investment back if you want your money's worth. Most High school and college fags aren't going to be making their money's worth by just typing up their essay or browsing through Safari, so they just wasted 2 grand on their shiny brittle macbook that even the slightest drop of water on the keyboard and drop on a hard surface wlll instantly break their computer.

>TL;DR I'm not comparing speed with decade old hardware but real world usage and getting back your investment

Get a second hand dell precision. Some are available at ebay with Xeons, 16/32 Gb of RAM, multiple SSDs and Nvidia Quadro (better for CAD) for about 1500€. And no throttling on these ones.

I can tell you for a fact that after using my x201s and an elitebook 8760w that I find my x201s unbearable for some simple tasks

> macbook pro
> investement

a bit like a dragon dildo would be an investment?
kys mactoddler

>I find my x201s unbearable for some simple tasks

Then get yourself an SSD and install a lightweight OS, then it should feel more snappy

If you're being serious about using CAD, then your laptop has to have a Quadro. Some CAD programs heavily rely on you having a Quadro series card, otherwise they will perform like crap. Mainly talking about Catia, SolidWorks, SolidEdge, and some others.

it has a ssd and windows 10 for windows hello and windows exclusive applications

>kys mactoddler

You stupid nigger, I don't own a fucking macbook pro or any apple products. I just say if they need a macbook, they better get their money back with that macbook

If you want to do CAD related shit, get a Thinkpad W530/520 or a P series Thinkpad. They support up to 32GB of RAM and come with an 1-2GB Nvidia Quadro on most models.

May I get that wallpaper please?

>windblows 10

there's your problem, you should install Lightweight OS and use Wine to get your Windows exclusive applications

>Also if you want a computer for CAD then the only time I recommend for modern thinkpad would the Thinkpad P series

Both are meme crap.
>I'm looking to buy a laptop at 1,000-2,000€ that can handle CAD applications and Ableton.
Literally everything without U in the CPU's name.

Here you go user :^)

Attached: 123.jpg (1024x768, 272K)

>autocad through wine
nice.
don't need a new p series to open DWGs

Thank you lad

Then may get some Linux friendly CAD software then?

You really don't do much professional CAD do you?

Please don't waste your time with freetards.

it's sad, I would use linux but I need to be at least open DWGs with proper recognised software almost all the time

> Aluminum > PPS & Magnesium Hybrid
I'm pretty sure the ThinkPad is more durable. Aluminium is just a cheap metal you slap on to attract customers. And to serve as a giant heatsink when you can't manage your thermals. They would use magnesium alloys if they were serious about "muh premium material".

>thinkpad t60 with a intel 32 bit dual core

Fine for a slow browsing appliance but that combo is slow as dirt for anything more demanding.

If you are making money the cost of a macbook is fucking trivial. If it's not trivial you don't need the damn thing.

Two or three grand for a TOOL isn't shit.

Real CAD work is done on commercial soft, not playtoi apps.

It's easy enough to keep Windows in a VM on a Linux host. If you are making MONEY doing CAD, buy or build a kickass desktop because you'll get much more for the money and you need at least dual monitors anyway. Notebooks are too small for serious CAD work.

thinkpad
>ports
>cheaper
>aesthetic
>good keyboard, new macbooks have no key travel and its like tapping a touchscreen
>not supporting a greedy conglomerate
>upgradable, chinks in Shenzhen even make 8th gen cpu upgrade motherboards for older machines like pic related
>sturdier, lasts longer and is easier to fix

Attached: 080228igljmsllj7zkr7s0.jpg.thumb.jpg (800x534, 35K)

Even U CPUs are fine nowadays.

Nu-pads have awful QC

>buy 2015 MacBook Pro
>profit

Its so much better than the shit they put out now

XPS 13, thank me later.
It's the official laptop of Jow Forums.

I'm sure you're enjoying the 15 minutes of battery life on the T60. fucking neet

No they don't you fucking retard.

XPS i5 8GB = $899 - $500 in 3 years = $399 loss
MBP i5 8GB = $1699 - $800 in 3 years = $899 loss

It only seems more if you look at the end but in reality you're losing a fuckton more money.

>Its so much better than the shit they put out now
That's not saying much.

Attached: 1526110451032.png (636x727, 137K)

What about pic related though? Are we not counting it because it's chinkshit?

Attached: huawei_matebook_x_pro.jpg (960x540, 64K)

Not him but indeed the 2015 models sucked ass because they changed fan profiles so they spin up way too late causing unnecessary throttling, just to make them more silent for longer.

You are absolutely right.
Magnesium chassis with plastic exterior is MUCH better in every way.
It's just not as fashionable.

Same with these all glass smartphones.
It's a shit material but it's in fashion right now (I own one myself).

All Macbooks do that.

And I don't understand why.
I can barely even hear by T460p at max fan speed. - when it crashes/freezes (Yeah I use GNU+Linux) I put my hand to the exhaust to feel if it's blowing or not because I just can't tell from listening.
Maybe Apple just can't make quiet fans?
Or maybe the Aluminium causes noise to resonate more?

>CAD
>On a consumer compact ultrashit.

Thinkpad P52 (or P51 if you can find one for cheap) is the obvious choice.

I'm struggling with this dilemma right now. Love Mac OS but hate Apple generally (for multiple reasons).

I will say the second-hand Apple market is nuts. I'll likely get some money back for my broken shit old Air. There are a ton of Macs on eBay with crazy bidding wars but when I search Windows machines it's all crickets.

Buy a refurbished/used thinkpad
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/ThinkPad

>looks like a women's device
That's unironically the main factor in deciding to buy a MacBook and I'm not regretting anything.

Therefore if you're not gay buy a Windows PC.

Glass smartphones aren’t fashion

Shits for wireless charging

That's not how you spell Precision.

Huawei batteries aren't known for their durability, would probably only hold half its charge in 1 year of ownership.

Install win7 on it or loonix then. Only way to get over it.

Attached: 001.jpg (3280x2460, 1.18M)

If the ThinkPad had a 16:10 (or 3:2) screen it would be awesome.

>all macbooks do that
Incorrect, and even if you were correct, these ones have it worse than others, which is a fact, you can check it out yourself. These rev up the fans way too late, causing a constant cycle with throttling, cooling down, fans turning off, heating up, throttling again,etc.

>military spec sturdiness
>with lelnovo
It's better than macshit but not what IBM used to do.

Attached: 1532622564021.jpg (500x500, 39K)

It's their second business laptop and it beats the 2017 MBP at half the price. Internals are really decent, too. I'd give it a chance.

I put my oh-so-special glass smartphone in a plastic cover (to have enough grip so I can actually use it) and it charges perfectly fine.

Is that terrible screen glare real?
Or did they add it for dramatic effect or something?

Macbook Pro's went terribly downhill around the time they discontinued the 17" model.

I have both. Work gave me a Thinkpad X1 Carbon and I bought a MacBook Pro.

no, it's not as bad as it looks in the image. haven't tried to use it outside yet, but it doesn't seem to catch much light even in a well-lit area. matte screen protector is also an option if you don't want it to give off any reflection but it's honestly not that noticeable

I had the last 17" (late 2011). It was great, until it killed itself with some hardware bug. Twice. Fuck apple.

You've pulled that XPS value in 3 years out of your ass.

As much as I hate the high price of Apple hardware, macOS is the only good desktop OS out there anymore. Windows 7 is fucked in terms of drivers and support on anything newer.

Attached: 1482886915994.png (454x646, 323K)

On a 2012 MBP, dunno what the fuck am I gonna do when this shit dies.
Probably a Latitude with an i7 and 16gb of ram to run windows and do everything in VMs.

You mean a Surface?

macintrashOS was never good.

Attached: 1521604757574.jpg (1024x768, 232K)

Windows 7 is shit. It's far worse than Mac OS.

I don't like the macbooks made after 2015

But I have money so I'd take one over a chinkpad

>thinking macOS is anything but awful for everything
Talking about garbage taste

I like it :^)

I very much like my MacBook Pro. I’ve built systems, both Linux and Windows. I’ve had lots of laptops. This mbp is the best machine I’ve had. It’s well-constructed, fast, good battery life. The updates are not so intrusive or time-consuming as Windows. Unlike my Windows and Linux machines, I seem never to need to give my computer much thought. It just works, which I never valued until I experienced that. Also, it syncs to my iPad so backups are no issue.

I've seen people use both. Parts aside, Macbook users are non-virgins, and Thinkpad users are greaseball neet faggots.

u a gril?

>never used it
>thinks i3 is a good WM
LOL

Well, as I'm not a virgin, I wouldn't have to worry about the demographic using the same model and can completely focus on making an economically sound decision.

Money is not the issue; but I'd still rather have a fixable, upgradeable machine.

>macOS is the only good desktop OS
MacOS is great, but I can tolerate Win10.

Good point. I'm just always skeptical about using plastics.

Sorry, but no sorry.
Running CAD in a VM is what I would consider.

>mbp is the bes
How long have you had it? What about servicing parts/cleaning out dust/upgrading?
What's up with the 1 year warranty?!

Until Apple has some good answers, I will think of their products as like single-use throwaway lifestyle accessoires rather than investments.

Attached: g3.png (558x421, 23K)

This, Windows 10 is cancer.
Literally nothing bad about Mac

I’m a virgin and I use Mac. What now?

>nothing bad about Mac
kys subhuman

>tolerate Win10.
Enjoy a tablet UI and random reboots that fuck with your settings and installed. programs

>hurrr, Appull made iphone, they nevur good, i3 is based and redpilled
>What is powurPC? NeXTSTEP? Cocoa? UNIX? whats that?
Kill yourself underaged autist.

>Dell

I'll take a look. First ever laptop I had was a Dell (Inspiron?) that lasted between 2008-2012 until its hinges failed.

Using it on my home and work desktop for the past years.
>tablet UI
You wouldnt notice a difference to Win7 or Win8, except for the lock screen. You have a desktop, a start menu, ...

>random reboots that fuck with your settings and installed. programs
never had either happen to me.

Thanks for your comment though.

Stop the namecalling, Jow Forums. We're all adults here.

>You wouldnt notice a difference to Win7 or Win8, except for the lock screen. You have a desktop, a start menu, ...
Everything is an phone app (calc, settings, start menu).
It's shit. win32 is the only reason to use Windows, the new Indian-coded "Universal Apps" are horrible, unusable even.

>>never had either happen to me.
>leave PC on a week to render
>update downloads
>reboots in the middle of work
I guess a /v/irgin wouldn't come across it.

>Stop the namecalling, Jow Forums. We're all adults here.
Buy the Mac, it suits you, cum-guzzling negro.

what's the battery life estimate? How's the OS power management? any tests that show real world comparison. This is probably my biggest concern when buying a laptop (since it's primary purpose is to be semi mobile)

Okay, I'll give you the fact that the settings are dumbed down immensely. But I respectfully disagree about the rest. All I ever do with the startmenu is hit the Windows Key and type the name of the program I need.
>calc
We use Excel for Spreadsheets and the built-in calculator app works fine using a numpad.

>I guess a /v/irgin wouldn't come across it.
Yeah and I didnt; I mostly do CAD where I can save my work from time to time.

also how about the weight and a form factor?

>CAD

Attached: 53ff1906295cc7e37227e03b79380a4f.png (800x800, 842K)

You have successfully disqualified yourself from any kind of rational discussion.

Yaaaaawn, it's really past your bedtime

Attached: autism.png (902x517, 798K)

Epic argument.

Attached: backat4.jpg (1167x2641, 311K)

And then Apple stagnated and other manufacturers caught up in hardware, and Microsoft with features.